Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
How did that work out last season?
Our worst performers of last season went for 130 mn so entirely not players fault. Managers like eth and arteta believed that way. So I believe we will be okay with what we got.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea deserve a good hiding tomorrow after this week.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Come back after the match if you can. :)
You have a lot of faith in your squad. You are going into that game without your main attacker, Brighton third choice goalkeeper, a 39 year old center back and a group of youngster in midfield and attack that gave chelsea on of their worse season ever. Pochettino is no miracle worker. Even though he did well in preseason, none of the team they played was at the level of Liverpool and this is a much competitive environment with klopp having something to prove after you guys are tainting Liverpool. If it wasn't for Pochettino, I only see a hiding similiar to our 7 0 lost to Liverpool last season.

Chelsea board reacted too slowly in the window. The signings they are after now, would have made a massive difference

Supports
Chelsea
Bizarre decision to loan out Kepa with no obligation.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
You have a lot of faith in your squad. You are going into that game without your main attacker, Brighton third choice goalkeeper, a 39 year old center back and a group of youngster in midfield and attack that gave chelsea on of their worse season ever. Pochettino is no miracle worker. Even though he did well in preseason, none of the team they played was at the level of Liverpool and this is a much competitive environment with klopp having something to prove after you guys are tainting Liverpool. I it wasn't for Pochettino, I only see a hiding similiar to our 7 0 lost to Liverpool last season.

Chelsea board reacted too slowly in the window. The signings they are after now, would have made a massive difference
Chelsea are okay in my opinion. We are optimistic and manager don't fluff about it. Want to win this match and if we play well we will win and I believe we will play very well.

It's not about who we play against but how we play. We will see.

Supports
Chelsea
Saves £8 mil in wages this season, gets him in the Spanish shop window and there may be a loan fee involved.
We should have had all that anyway in addition to an obligation.

samlee86

I think they will challenge for the league. No European football and Poch coaching them week in week out. Think they will do really well.

Supports
Chelsea
They don't want to buy him though, he's injury cover so it was that or nothing.
Just don't agree with it then. He was our no.1, performed well last season and its 1 day before the start of the season. Even if he plays well enough to put him in the shop window he comes back with only 1 year left on his contract, rendering that potential spike in value null.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just don't agree with it then. He was our no.1, performed well last season and its 1 day before the start of the season. Even if he plays well enough to put him in the shop window he comes back with only 1 year left on his contract, rendering that potential spike in value null.
I actually agree with this. A loan with no obligation makes no sense. Leaves us a keeper short on the eve of our opening game.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not really. If he was good enough, no matter the argument, he would have remained Brighton 1st choice.
He was "Brightons third choice keeper" because they made it clear he was going to leave so they replaced him in advance.

He only kicked up a fuss to leave because after patiently waiting for (and taking) his chance back in the team against us and United he was dropped for little reason again immediately after.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He was "Brightons third choice keeper" because they made it clear he was going to leave so they replaced him in advance.

He only kicked up a fuss to leave because after patiently waiting for (and taking) his chance back in the team against us and United he was dropped for little reason again immediately after.
Steele was a better fit for De Zerbi’s approach, which made it an objective not subjective truth that he was their third choice goalkeeper. Not arguing whether Sanchez was the better just that de zerbi preferred a goalkeeper who was more than a shot stopper as in de zerbi tactics there is an emphatic meritocracy of action in which every pass is an important as the next. If Sanchez had a better all round game, he wouldn't have been dropped. De zerbi isn't that petty.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Enjoyed that season last year then I imagine?
Very bad season amongst largely good ones, just like 15/16.

Incidently both times you went and snapped up the biggest culprit the following summer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Genuinely interested what the midfield set up is for Liverpool?

Enzo + Gallagher and the new Brazilian guy? Going to be interesting what that's like out of possession.

Think Liverpool will edge it 2-3.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Enzo + Gallagher and the new Brazilian guy? Going to be interesting what that's like out of possession.

I won't be surprised to see reece-enzo partnership in midfield for this match.

Loon

:lol:
Guess this will give the opportunity to see if Pochettino could have made a solid return to the PL (as United manager, for those that wanted him)..

LM7

Supports
chelsea

Jackson will absolutely crucify your high line. He is really rapid and strong. I bet is on 2 goals for him. That game will end 3-1 or 4-2 in favor of chelsea.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Jackson will absolutely crucify your high line. He is really rapid and strong. I bet is on 2 goals for him. That game will end 3-1 or 4-2 in favor of chelsea.
If they play high line we have every chance to kill them on counter with jackson, mudryk, sterling and maatsen.

But I doubt they will do their usual high line in this match. That will affect their overall attacking game.

Surely we will see some over the top ball for attackers from both teams. Will be fun. Hope referees don't spoil the spectacle.

MalaysianRed7

Incidently both times you went and snapped up the biggest culprit the following summer.
We snapped Matic up the summer after he played almost every game in your last title winning season. Try again.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Would it not be Enzo, Gallagher and Chukwuemeka?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Would it not be Enzo, Gallagher and Chukwuemeka?
Yeah I think Chukwuemeka has a good chance of starting today. He played lots of minutes in the number 10 role during pre-season and with Nkunku now out injured it should be a no-brainer really.

So either Enzo, Gallagher, Chukwuemeka or Enzo, Santos, Chukwuemeka.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

You didn’t have these incompetent owners back then though. Remains to be seen if they can bring you back to the top. Tbf jokes aside you’ll be better than last season, but still think Liverpool will win comfortably today!

Judas

Open to offers
I'll be honest....if it clicks and they win the league instead of City, I'd not mind. But I don't see that happening this season. I'm intrigued how it'll go, on paper I don't really get what the team is. I do think they'll get top 4 though.

bludsucker

You have a lot of faith in your squad. You are going into that game without your main attacker, Brighton third choice goalkeeper, a 39 year old center back and a group of youngster in midfield and attack that gave chelsea on of their worse season ever. Pochettino is no miracle worker. Even though he did well in preseason, none of the team they played was at the level of Liverpool and this is a much competitive environment with klopp having something to prove after you guys are tainting Liverpool. If it wasn't for Pochettino, I only see a hiding similiar to our 7 0 lost to Liverpool last season.

Getting in our excuses early are we. Looking at chelsea squad the last thing anyone will say is its under strength. Not after spending £1b in three windows.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
I won't be surprised to see reece-enzo partnership in midfield for this match.
You should be surprised seeing as all available midfield options are fit and there has never even been a hint of Poch considering Reece as one of them.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'll be honest....if it clicks and they win the league instead of City, I'd not mind. But I don't see that happening this season. I'm intrigued how it'll go, on paper I don't really get what the team is. I do think they'll get top 4 though.
At the expense of who? I don’t see how when there are 5 teams that all look better set.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Getting in our excuses early are we. Looking at chelsea squad the last thing anyone will say is its under strength. Not after spending £1b in three windows.
And yet still doesn't eclipse the net spend of United and Arsenal over the last few seasons. Also context of the spending is important with the amount of youth/loan-multi-club players purchased.

No team can lose the likes of Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, and Loftus-cheek, and then claim the squad is strong and balanced.

bludsucker

And yet still doesn't eclipse the net spend of United and Arsenal over the last few seasons. Also context of the spending is important with the amount of youth/loan-multi-club players purchased.

No team can lose the likes of Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, and Loftus-cheek, and then claim the squad is strong and balanced.
You lot have spent £100m on signing a player twice over the last three windows. Bought a shit tonne of players and are claiming the squad is under strength. The squad is misbalanced because your owner is behaving like a mad monkey with millions and buying players left right and center without any thought to how they fit in the managers plan or style of play. We don’t even know how long the manager is going to last before he is sacked and the job is handed down to lampard again.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

You don’t think your net spend is higher than United?

AneRu

The ownership at Chelsea is mad, I can't fathom how they managed to spend a billion and still don't have a reliable goal scorer or solid and settled defense. They are just following the hype but if they had an adult in the room Osimhen was the player for them to push the boat out for and then possibly buy a journeymen DM to partner Enzo. Caicedo is potential great but I don't think he was the player they should have pursued as hard as they did.

I have confidence that Pochetino will balance them and make a solid outfit out the players he has but without that 30 goal striker it won't do much for them. But then us and Arsenal are always suspect and you could see one of Liverpool and Chelsea storming in at our expense.

Von Mistelroum

Chelsea deserve a good hiding tomorrow after this week.
I reckon they'll get one. Liverpool will be a changed team this season. Full of energy and endless, tireless running. They'll be Pumped, Energised and Determined

bludsucker

I reckon they'll get one. Liverpool will be a changed team this season. Full of energy and endless, tireless running. They'll be Pumped, Energised and Determined
I see what you did there. The inhalers are back in action after a year off.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Is the point that after your spend it should be? I mean these players you mentioned brought in what, £50m+, and you've spent multiples of that.