Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Genuinely it was Romero going on a foray forward down the right wing and barging into the back of Thiago Silva - Oliver didn't give the obvious foul, so Silva did the same to Romero ~10 seconds later and that's what led to Romero being on the floor and kicking out at Colwill. From there Spurs lost all semblance of composure.
Beat me to it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
People are talking about this game as if Spurs were torching us before the first red card.

Jackson had a clear 1v1 and we had two goals disallowed before the first red card.

We were coming back into the game regardless. We just started really slow and once we made a minor adjustment to deal with Udogie coming inside, we gained a foothold in the game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I thought that clown got demoted to the Championship?
He served his time and learnt his lesson in the 1 game he had refereeing the Championship. Back to his best!!

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
''On Saturday, Taylor refereed Preston North End's 3-2 win over Coventry City - the first time he had refereed in the second tier since 2019 - and was involved in another controversial penalty decision.

The 45-year-old ruled that Kyle McFadzean had brought down Milutin Osmajic in the area, but replays showed the Coventry captain had made minimal contact.

O'Neill said: "I feel like I waste my time speaking [to the officials] so I will stop speaking to them.

"Until they improve the level of what they produce, I have no time for them."

ti vu

People are talking about this game as if Spurs were torching us before the first red card.

Jackson had a clear 1v1 and we had two goals disallowed before the first red card.

We were coming back into the game regardless. We just started really slow and once we made a minor adjustment to deal with Udogie coming inside, we gained a foothold in the game.
I agree with you on the flow of the game. Chelsea had gained the upper hand toward the time of the red card and penalty incident.

The hypothetical scenario is Chelsea may fail again to capitalize on the chances they create because bad luck and bad finishing, and get suckered punched by Tottenham who has been clinical with their finishing this season IMO. This can pretty much happen as we have seen in previous games this season from both teams.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I agree with you on the flow of the game. Chelsea had gained the upper hand toward the time of the red card and penalty incident.

The hypothetical scenario is Chelsea may fail again to capitalize on the chances they create because bad luck and bad finishing, and get suckered punched by Tottenham who has been clinical with their finishing this season IMO. This can pretty much happen as we have seen in previous games this season from both teams.
Yeah that’s true, but our problems this season has been unlocking low blocks. Spurs were never going to sit back.

In fact without all the red card madness, this game was following a very similar storyline as our game vs Liverpool, who just like Spurs came flying out of the blocks and we looked nervous. They scored a goal and had another disallowed and then we woke up and established some control of our own. In the Liverpool game we pretty much dominated the rest of the game after the first 25 mins. I doubt we could have done that away at Spurs but we were in the ascendancy way before Spurs began to lose their heads.

They ruined what could have been a very interesting game. I’m not complaining though. I’m glad they couldn’t control their emotions :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
In other news, this guy is nearly back.

I sometimes forget we even signed Nkunku.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
In other news, this guy is nearly back.

I sometimes forget we even signed Nkunku.

It’s been so long… but how different we looked against teams in the Summer with him playing was shocking compared to the season without.

And we didn’t have Palmer then.

I’m excited to see how it comes together, but it will come down, again, as it always seems to with us: can we stay even moderately healthy.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

It’s been so long… but how different we looked against teams in the Summer with him playing was shocking compared to the season without.

And we didn’t have Palmer then.

I’m excited to see how it comes together, but it will come down, again, as it always seems to with us: can we stay even moderately healthy.
I don't want to jinx things but Palmer, Sterling, Jackson, Enzo, Caicedo and Gallagher all look solid and don't get frequent injuries and they're basically our main starters in midfield and up front. Slotting Nkunku into the mix should be fun. It adds another layer of creativity along with Palmer, James and Enzo and hopefully much needed clinical finishing.

That Nkunku x Palmer link up will hopefully be worth the wait.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh I thought he was out til January or something. Nice for him that his recovery went well!
They said 16 weeks at the time. After the international break it will have been roughly 15 weeks, so slightly ahead of time. But I doubt he'll get thrown in away at Newcastle, so Brighton at home might be the game they're aiming for which is just about bang on 16 weeks since the surgery.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, Brighton at home is probably the target for him.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Well done by Chelsea.

Putting four past City is no small feat. I can’t remember them conceding so many since their very early, semi-naive days.

Lrf

Chelsea have not been getting the points they deserve this season and are a good team, as this game have showed.

Chip

Amazing performance by chelsea. Their players are starting to build into Pochettino ideology.

It will be scary when Nkunku come back and james and chillwell are fully fit.
How do you think this Chelsea squad would fare under EtH - with Nkunku, James, and Chilwell fully fit?

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Amazing performance by chelsea. Their players are starting to build into Pochettino ideology.

It will be scary when Nkunku come back and james and chillwell are fully fit.
We dont miss Chilwell

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
We dont miss Chilwell
Chilwell is a much better attacking fullback than Cucurella. Even though Cucurella has been transformed to be back to an amazing fullback by Pochettino, chilwell has that natural football quality like James. Chelsea would look stronger in the attack with his maurading runs as a lb. I believe when he returns, you will notice that.

How do you think this Chelsea squad would fare under EtH - with Nkunku, James, and Chilwell fully fit?
These aren't ETH players, so I don't know.

They get a lot of praise for a team sitting 10th in the table.
Chelsea has been one of the most unlucky team in the league. Their underlying stat has them top four. The praise is because they have been playing good football, just been very unlucky and poor finishing their chances

Woodzy

Chilwell is a much better attacking fullback than Cucurella. Even though Cucurella has been transformed to be back to an amazing fullback by Pochettino, chilwell has that natural football quality like James. Chelsea would look stronger in the attack with his maurading runs as a lb. I believe when he returns, you will notice that.

These aren't ETH players, so I don't know.

Chelsea has been one of the most unlucky team in the league. Their underlying stat has them top four. The praise is because they have been playing good football, just been very unlucky and poor finishing their chances
That means nothing at the end of the day. With a bit more luck and better finishing United would probably be top 4 as well and we have been terrible. Ultimately points on the board are all that matters.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
That means nothing at the end of the day. With a bit more luck and better finishing United would probably be top 4 as well and we have been terrible. Ultimately points on the board are all that matters.
Don't think you have watched us play. Our underlying stat are horrible. We dont deserve to be 6th. We are the only team in top ten with a negative goal differences and our xg is also bottom half of the league before

Woodzy

Don't think you have watched us play. Our underlying stat are horrible. We dont deserve to be 6th. We are the only team in top ten with a negative goal differences and our xg is also bottom half of the league before
I’ve unfortunately watched every game. Just because our overall play is dire doesn’t mean that we don’t miss chances or have bad luck.

You can’t attribute Chelsea’s league position to those things. Chelsea have been poor for the most part, it’s why they are in 10th.

always_hoping

They get a lot of praise for a team sitting 10th in the table.
Yes for all the praise in what was an even and high scoring draw with Man City doesn't cloud the fact Chelsea are 10th in the table having lost to a ten man West Ham, and lost to Brenford,Villa,Forest at home without scoring. Only home game they have won this season in the league has been against Luton. Also worth noting Chelsea have the big advantage of no European football allowing them to focus fully on each Premier league game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Anthony Taylor appointed referee for Chelsea v Man City in Premier League after match in Championship

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67346339

If we weren't fecked before, we're fecked now.
I'm pretty disappointed Poch didn't go for him in the post match presser. He should have said that he's been preparing to play against 12 after he heard Taylor was appointed. We've got to make an issue of this because if we don't he'll continue to cost us points. Klopp did it with that ref he hated and he didn't officiate the scousers for years after. I don't think I've ever seen a ref screw over a team like Taylor does to Chelsea (yes believe it or not, we've had it worse than you).

AFC NimbleThumb

There’s a lot of useful pieces in the Chelsea squad. The scattergun approach means they still need to tweak but there’s something there if managed correctly.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
They're like a car that's being rebuilt. All the pieces are there, they need to get round to tightening the bolts and some fresh oil.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve unfortunately watched every game. Just because our overall play is dire doesn’t mean that we don’t miss chances or have bad luck.

You can’t attribute Chelsea’s league position to those things. Chelsea have been poor for the most part, it’s why they are in 10th.
They haven't really been poor have they? We could argue that they (we)were the better side in every single game so far,definitely against arsenal and Liverpool

croadyman

Know it's not at Stamford Bridge but that Chelsea who played City will give us problems on Dec 6

gajender

They haven't really been poor have they? We could argue that they (we)were the better side in every single game so far,definitely against arsenal and Liverpool
They look good against teams who are proactive and wants to take the game to opposition while they struggle in the games where they are expected to take initiative and most of their games are quite close in terms of of underlying stats as well so it's not that big of a surprise they drop points and I can't see that changing that much unless they improve .

Ahmer Baig

Chelsea versus the current top four...

Chelsea 1 - Liverpool 1
Chelsea 2 - Arsenal 2
Spurs 1 - Chelsea 4
Chelsea 4 - Man City 4