Chelsea given two-window transfer ban | Free to sign players in January

Touseef

They can but AFAIK FIFA implemented some rule changes in recent years so that even if you appeal, transfer ban still stays during the process. It's in order to stop clubs exploiting it.
Well thats stupid. What if they win the appeal? Then they would have been out of a window for no fault of theirs. The rule should be that you appeal but if you lose the fine extends to two years

Trizy

Transfer ban while having an average squad. Plus Hazard leaving this summer or on a free next season. Beautiful :drool:.

Chelsea get away with too much stick because of how poisonous both PSG and City are. Chelsea are the EXACT same. They would be fighting mid to lower table had they not been taken over. So with that said, feck them.

Hughes35

My word.

Looking at the contract situations on some of their players, no striker other than Morata and Hazard possibly leaving, it could be a very tough 15 months for Chelsea fans.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Transfer ban while having an average squad. Plus Hazard leaving this summer or on a free next season. Beautiful :drool:.

Chelsea get away with too much stick because of how poisonous both PSG and City are. Chelsea are the EXACT same. They would be fighting mid to lower table had they not been taken over. So with that said, feck them.
Tbf to Chelsea, they were a top 4 team when they were taken over. Back in the day the top wasn't as fixed as it was now, you had United and Arsenal guaranteed top 2 but the rest were just whoever happened to be the best of the rest. Arsenal might have been title contenders for longer, but I think Chelsea still would have been competing with Liverpool, Spurs for top 4. Moreover, the increased money coming into the Premier League and Champions League would have helped Chelsea maintain top 4 more or less every season. Chelsea did have some financial issues under Ken Bates ownership so possibly they could have done a Leeds United but I don't think there were irresponsible with their spending at the time.

In any case, I've found their rise to superpower less sinister than City's because they were actually a decent team who were taken to the next level. Moreover, the rules were not in place to stop them at the time from spending more than they earned. City and PSG have clearly got around this through various nefarious measures.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
They can but AFAIK FIFA implemented some rule changes in recent years so that even if you appeal, transfer ban still stays during the process. It's in order to stop clubs exploiting it.
I think it's more of a case of the Spanish clubs were test cases so they had to suspend the ban incase the clubs won the case as CAS. Now FIFA are 100% sure they will win the case so there is no need to delay the ban.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I believe they have an option to extend Giroud by a year.
Not seen anything on transfermarkt and they're usually good with displaying any options on there - like with our players. The article mentioning his signing doesn't refer to an option either.

Their version of our Lee Grant (except Grant has actually played for us). They've got six goalkeepers out on loan so needed to bring someone in as third choice.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Expiring 2019
Robert Green
Willy Caballero
Gary Cahill
David Luiz
Olivier Giroud

Loans end 2019
Gonzalo Higuain (option to buy)
Mateo Kovacic

My guess is Cahill will leave on a free and Kovacic will return to Real Madrid to be sold to someone else, but they'll work on extending the contracts of the others (they might let Green go and have one of their academy keepers as third choice instead). Giroud might be let go of if they're not selling Morata.

Expiring 2020
Eden Hazard
Willian
Pedro
Callum Hudson-Odoi
Marco van Ginkel

Bit awkward that all of their wingers will have an expiring contract. I imagine Willian or Pedro would sign up again with little issue, and van Ginkel will either leave on a free or be sold this summer.

Loaned out player contracts

Expiring 2019

Eduardo
Todd Kane

Expiring 2020
Kenneth Omeruo
Michael Hector
Abdul Rahman
Kenedy
Nathan

I imagine they'll try to sell the 2020 lot. Nobody worth keeping.
I thought Higuain was on an 18 month long loan? If he has to go back at the end of the season then surely Morata will have to return? Or is it Morata that's on an 18 month loan?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I thought Higuain was on an 18 month long loan? If he has to go back at the end of the season then surely Morata will have to return? Or is it Morata that's on an 18 month loan?
Higuain's loan is until the end of the season but there's an option to either buy him for €36M or extend the loan deal for another 12 months for €18M.

Morata is at Atletico on an 18 month loan with option to buy. If Giroud leaves then Chelsea are pretty much screwed in terms of striker options.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Higuain's loan is until the end of the season but there's an option to either buy him for €36M or extend the loan deal for another 12 months for €18M.

Morata is at Atletico on an 18 month loan with option to buy. If Giroud leaves then Chelsea are pretty much screwed in terms of striker options.
I wonder if them extending that loan deal wouldn't count as a new player registration?

fd212

Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea were the 'City" of the 2000s. I can only hope the current Man City (and PSG) get a ban too.

Hephaestus

I wonder if them extending that loan deal wouldn't count as a new player registration?
I'd imagine so, they knew in January that there was a chance of the transfer ban being put in place, hence signing Pulisic and loaning him back rather than simply agreeing to sign him on a specific date like Liverpool did with Keita.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Tammy Abraham praying that the ban holds!

Vadim

Well said. Man City and PSG are Chelsea but on steroids.

Feck Chelsea and feck their racist, right wing fans. Feck their terrible Chelsea chant as well. And feck their Union Jack (what is that about by the way? Rangers do it as well) and feck the nationalist bollocks.

Horrible club.

Robertd0803

Tbf to Chelsea, they were a top 4 team when they were taken over. Back in the day the top wasn't as fixed as it was now, you had United and Arsenal guaranteed top 2 but the rest were just whoever happened to be the best of the rest. Arsenal might have been title contenders for longer, but I think Chelsea still would have been competing with Liverpool, Spurs for top 4. Moreover, the increased money coming into the Premier League and Champions League would have helped Chelsea maintain top 4 more or less every season. Chelsea did have some financial issues under Ken Bates ownership so possibly they could have done a Leeds United but I don't think there were irresponsible with their spending at the time.

In any case, I've found their rise to superpower less sinister than City's because they were actually a decent team who were taken to the next level. Moreover, the rules were not in place to stop them at the time from spending more than they earned. City and PSG have clearly got around this through various nefarious measures.
All very true and the same point I made to someone recently trying to compare Citys nonsense to Chelsea.

That being said I dont think Chelsea would have had the amount of success they had but they were at least top 4 at the time.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
All very true and the same point I made to someone recently trying to compare Citys nonsense to Chelsea.

That being said I dont think Chelsea would have had the amount of success they had but they were at least top 4 at the time.
we had never finished below 6th since about 1996 prior to Roman; so the lazy argument that we were awful before Roman is not quite true, i mean we were in the CL.
Your point is correct

Re. City and us, I have always argued we were a decent side with good foundations, City were literally a lottery win
Early 90s granted. We were a little poor

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Literally not true. We didnt go from a lower table side to champs under Roman, we were top 5-6 quite often before him, we were even in CL

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
April 11th our hearing is. IF we lose that CAS will then step in, and that is where, as said before, I am sure our ban gets revoked for the summer

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

I think Giroud has a 12 month option we can trigger in his contract. If true, we'd have to be out of our minds not to do that if / when the ban holds. I think we're waiting for the appeal to be held before taking the option or not. Fairly certain Giroud wants to stay and would then go back to France the year after.

duffer

Scout

UncleBob

That article certainly does not back up your statement.

If there was no Roman takeover we would have probably had to sell Terry and Lampard and stop paying huge wages. Administration was not close at all.
Ofcourse it was. Selling Terry and Lampard were the short term solution, it's not like you could just flip a button and instantly stop paying huge wages.

duffer

Scout
Ofcourse it was. Selling Terry and Lampard were the short term solution, it's not like you could just flip a button and instantly stop paying huge wages.
If you don't have players on huge wages you don't have to pay huge wages. We would have plummeted down the table for sure but administration was not going to happen unless the spending and bit wages continued for a few more years

Also, if not Roman, someone else would've bought the club and steadied the ship before they started selling the furniture.

Does not really matter now though.

UncleBob

If you don't have players on huge wages you don't have to pay huge wages. We would have plummeted down the table for sure but administration was going to happen unless the spending and bit wages continued.

Also, if not Roman, someone else would've bought the club and steadied the ship before they started selling the furniture.

Does not really matter now though.
The option to sell Terry and Lampard wasn't down to their wages, it was due to the fact that they were the only players you'd get decent fees for.

There's a short list of wealthy people willing to buy a football club to scrap the furniture, hardly a suitable way to make money.

Obviously doesn't matter now, but I'm not sure why we're pretending that Chelsea weren't up shits creek when they won the jackpot in terms of a certain Russian. Pure luck, same with Manchester City and Abu Dhabi.

duffer

Scout
Obviously doesn't matter now, but I'm not sure why we're pretending that Chelsea weren't up shits creek when they won the jackpot in terms of a certain Russian. Pure luck, same with Manchester City and Abu Dhabi.
I've certainly not said that Roman taking over was not incredibly lucky, what exactly is wrong with winning the lottery anyway?

People say that shit like it's an insult. "You didn't earn it". Well, I'm a fan and so are you. Neither of us earned a thing in terms of the club we support winning things (unless you work for Man United, in which case well done!).

UncleBob

I've certainly not said that Roman taking over was not incredibly lucky, what exactly is wrong with winning the lottery anyway?

People say that shit like it's an insult. "You didn't earn it". Well, I'm a fan and so are you. Neither of us earned a thing in terms of the club we support winning things (unless you work for Man United, in which case well done!).
I haven't claimed that you've said it wasn't lucky, nor that it's not allowed to be lucky, it was simply pointed out.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Well said. Man City and PSG are Chelsea but on steroids.

Feck Chelsea and feck their racist, right wing fans. Feck their terrible Chelsea chant as well. And feck their Union Jack (what is that about by the way? Rangers do it as well) and feck the nationalist bollocks.

Horrible club.
I just saw the bit in bold. Selective eyesight?

andyox

Supports
Manchester City

I remember Chelsea and City being quite similar in the 80s, both a bit of a mess fighting it out in Div 2 before we both got promoted (I've still got the old season review VHSs somewhere). We (City) initially did ok once we got up, but then it all fell apart in the Peter Reid/Alan Ball era. I remember early/mid 90s Matthew Harding pumping what seemed like loads of money (at the time) into Chelsea before he died. What role did his cash play in helping Chelsea get to the position where you were regularly doing well in cup comps and then finishing in top 4 (which then attracted Roman to buy you)?

This is a genuine question, I'm not having a go at all, I've just never seen good info on this.

Vadim

That article certainly does not back up your statement.

If there was no Roman takeover we would have probably had to sell Terry and Lampard and stop paying huge wages. Administration was not close at all.
Rubbish. Take the blinkers off.

duffer

Scout
Rubbish. Take the blinkers off.
I don't remember any reports at the time that we were close to going into administration, not one.

If can link one then I'll gladly take a look but this seems to be one of those things that started (in reality) as "Chelsea need to consider their signings and wage bill or they could be fecked" and over the years has morphed into "Chelsea were close to going under".

If we were days or weeks from disaster then it makes Roman's take-over a better story as a Chelsea fan. I just don't remember it being that way.

Vadim

I don't remember any reports at the time that we were close to going into administration, not one.

If can link one then I'll gladly take a look but this seems to be one of those things that started (in reality) as "Chelsea need to consider their signings and wage bill or they could be fecked" and over the years has morphed into "Chelsea were close to going under".

If we were days or weeks from disaster then it makes Roman's take-over a better story as a Chelsea fan. I just don't remember it being that way.
You’re my favourite oppo fan here and been here a lot longer than me by the looks of things so not looking for a fight.

I simply thought it was common knowledge Chelsea were in financial dire straits and Roman saved the day?

I remember reading about it when the takeover happened.