Chelsea vs. Manchester United

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
in the league they've been very good and with them at home I have to think they'll get something out of this.

for us: we need to not spot them early goals and stay at them.
if we manage to score 1st and sit back we're screwed so hopefully keep it tight at the back and go at them. a tentative approach won't work well for us but if we push them like we did Newcastle then we'll be alright.

can't wait!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We really miss Fletcher and Park at their peak for this sort of game. 2 years ago, both would have been the first couple of names on the team sheet for a game like this and the side would have been built around them and Rooney.

Chavs front 4 of Mata, Oscar, Hazard & Torres have so much speed, versatility and skill and whom have all got off to fliers this season and so oozing confidence. Its very much like when we had that front 4 of Giggs, Tevez, Ronaldo, Rooney in 07/08.

I just cant get my head around how you organise a team to cope with such a potent attack, without the Fletcher/Park type player available, it gives me a headache trying to work out suitable permeation. Normally, I'd say lets fight attack with attack and we have the personnel this year for such an approach but our defence is just too unpredictable for that so far this season.

Assuming SAF is concerned about his ability to trust the defence (he has to given our record so far this year!!), I'd go for

-----------------DDG

--Rafael Evans, Ferdinand, Evra

---Anderson*, Carrick, Scholes. . .* Prefer Fletcher but don't know if he ready for such a demanding game yet

--------Valencia Rooney

----------------RVP

We take a contained and defensive type approach, much like Mourinho's Chavski would do. Its physical, we harry and press to deny Mata/Oscar/Hazard space through a zonal marking approach with Rooney and Valencia playing predominately in a midfield 5 and only go forward on the counter attack.

RVP has a long and lonely afternoon, works like a battle-ram much like RVN or Mark Hughes used to do and we get a win via a masterclass in containment and score on the counter attack.

I'd happily take a draw ... losing is simply not an option as a 7 point gap so soon in the season is a moral booster that could keep the Chavs top all season.

Ash_G

Thing is Chelsea have now been done by two stronger teams now so there are weaknesses there. Haven't seen the games they lost though so I can't properly say where they were exposed but I wouldn't be surprised if they got exposed from wide. That's where I think we can hurt them and quick bursts through the middle too. That's why I'm really hoping we try more of a 433 with Rooney in attacking mid, and then have RVP flanked by two of the many attackers we have. We've got a good balance in those areas between attacking quality and work rate, Mata, Hazard and Oscar are great attacking talents but none of them are great defensively.

If Rooney plays properly as an attacking mid he can give us the extra steel in the middle without having to play as defensive as the diamond requires him to off the ball. I don't get why Fergie either see's it as a normal 442 or a diamond. A 433 would give a mix of both for me

I reckon a big bonus for us is if Lamps is fit and gets the nod over Ramires. His pace is something that could damage us particularly as none of our midfielders are great when people run at them with pace.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We shouldn't play Scholes. The best way to play this current Chelsea team is on the counter. Their defense isn't that strong, and with Mikel as a holding midfielder they don't really have the pace to track runners. What they do have in abundance is cunning movement up front - the kind of movement that will absolutely relish playing against Scholsey.

We need legs in midfield, I really hope Fergie plays Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley. Stick with the front 3 from Tuesday, and hopefully Rio and Evra are fit.

If he tries Carrick and Scholes in midfield (or worse, Giggs anywhere on the pitch) we're in for a hiding.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Massive test of our defensive credentials. Looking forward to seeing how we cope.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I don't know but I'd start Scholes, we need a MF to control the match and Scholes is the perfect player to do that.

We need to MF's to support him, chase down everything in the middle kind of how we used to use Fletcher and Gibbo to chase down against Bayern.

Rafael/Evra can easily handle Mata's and Hazards speed, so our job will not only to be to contain them but catch them on the break.

Rooney to lead the line with Nani/Valencia flanking him and a strong robust MF applying high pressure ( Ando/Cleverly would be my choice ) with our best back four.

Fingers crossed and hope we can get something out of stamford bridge.

Baxter

Dave

Rafa, Evans, Rio, Evra
Clev, Anderson, Scholes, Carrick, Rooney
Van Persie

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't know but I'd start Scholes, we need a MF to control the match and Scholes is the perfect player to do that.

We need to MF's to support him, chase down everything in the middle kind of how we used to use Fletcher and Gibbo to chase down against Bayern.

Rafael/Evra can easily handle Mata's and Hazards speed, so our job will not only to be to contain them but catch them on the break.

Rooney to lead the line with Nani/Valencia flanking him and a strong robust MF applying high pressure ( Ando/Cleverly would be my choice ) with our best back four.

Fingers crossed and hope we can get something out of stamford bridge.
So you would leave out Van Persie, who has arguably been our best player this season, who is forming a great partnership with Rooney and who has a fantastic record at Stamford Bridge? Makes sense.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
So you would leave out Van Persie, who has arguably been our best player this season, who is forming a great partnership with Rooney and who has a fantastic record at Stamford Bridge? Makes sense.
ํำYes, for this match I'd leave out RVP. Just my opinion anyways, unless SAF chooses to go for RVP up front and shift Rooney out wide left, that'll work out too.

Phil

You just know it'll be 442 with neither Cleverley or Anderson starting. Is Kagawa definitely injured?

I might put money on us scoring first, won't be bad odds.

Skywarden

We didn't buy RVP to bench him when the going gets tough.

Biggest fear is conceding the first goal early on, which we've been prone to lately. Granted we came back big time last visit to the Bridge but I'd rather not put ourselves in that position again.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
If giggs and scholes start I'm gonna cry
Definitely Giggs, maybe Scholes too.

Certainly Scholes and Carrick in a midfield two would leave blodd on the carpet round here i think.

Hopefully it is two from Anderson, Cleverly and Fletcher. Then one out of Carrick, Scholes and Kagawa.

Rob Bowman

Any word on Lampard's scan?

His availibility or non-availibility has a huge impact on the shape and ability of Chelsea.

MUFCgal

----------------De Gea-----------------
Rafael-------Rio--------Evans------Evra
----------------Carrick-----------------
Valencia--------Rooney-------------Nani
------------RvP-------Hernandez-------

Subs: Johnstone, Wootton, Scholes, Cleverley, Anderson, Young, Welbeck.

Sally Cinnamon

That midfield (or lack of midfield) is way too exposed. It's moreless non-existent! I reckon it'll be a diamond with Carrick, Cleverley Anderson, Rooney. Van Persie and Hernandez/Welbeck upfront.

Tomalonge

Have a feeling we'll batter them. I don't get that feeling often, but all the signs are pointing to us getting battered, and we know what that means. (The opposite normally happens in emphatic fashion)

Jacob

-------------------------------DDG-----------------------------
Rafael---------Ferdinand----------Evans-------------Evra
------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------Carrick------------Cleverley---------------
------------------------------Rooney---------------------------
------Valencia-----------------------------------Welbeck----
--------------------------------RvP------------------------------

Jacob

There is no way we're starting with one CM away to Chelsea.

Jonno

------Valencia-----------------------------------Welbeck----
I would be very happy with this.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Giggs played a bit against Braga, so I doubt he'll start on Sunday.

As long as RVP and Rooney are on form, I think we can scrape a win.

Tonjo

The Chelsea team has evolved and they are very mobile. With runners and sniffers like Mata, Oscar and Hazard just behind Torres. they will be playing a 4-2-3-1 formation against United.
United best chance to match them is to play runners and hard workers.
I think matching them with 4-2-3-1 will be advantageous.
The defence and goalkeeper automatically pick themselves.
De Gea, Rafael Ferdinand, Evans, Evra.
Play Carrick and Fletcher as the holding midfielders
Valencia, Rooney and Cleverly should be good enough to cause them problems.
Van Persie has to do it alone up front.
The only worry is Rafael who may be overun by Hazard.
If there is early signs, Move Fletcher to right back and bring in Anderson.
I hope Ferguson will not play Scholes and Giggs. They do not have the "legs" for this game and will be burden to United.

Cina

Will probably be

DDG
Rafael Rio Evans Evra
Carrick Scholes
Rooney
Valencia RVP Welbeck​

Personally I'd prefer Cleverley ahead of Scholes or Valencia, and Nani, obviously.

If Giggs starts my buttocks will be very squeaky.

Forevergiggs

Have a feeling we'll batter them. I don't get that feeling often, but all the signs are pointing to us getting battered, and we know what that means. (The opposite normally happens in emphatic fashion)

I have the same feeling. I see us comfortably
winning this 3-0 or 3-1

What signs points towards us getting battered though?

buckooo1978

-----------De Gea------------

Rafa - --Rio - --Evans -- Evra

----------- - Carrick-----------
----- Anderson--Cleverley----

Valencia----------------Rooney

-----------RVP----------------

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
The Chelsea team has evolved and they are very mobile. With runners and sniffers like Mata, Oscar and Hazard just behind Torres. they will be playing a 4-2-3-1 formation against United.
United best chance to match them is to play runners and hard workers.
I think matching them with 4-2-3-1 will be advantageous.
The defence and goalkeeper automatically pick themselves.
De Gea, Rafael Ferdinand, Evans, Evra.
Play Carrick and Fletcher as the holding midfielders
Valencia, Rooney and Cleverly should be good enough to cause them problems.
Van Persie has to do it alone up front.
The only worry is Rafael who may be overun by Hazard.
If there is early signs, Move Fletcher to right back and bring in Anderson.
I hope Ferguson will not play Scholes and Giggs. They do not have the "legs" for this game and will be burden to United.
good time to face them, they've had a bit of a dip in form, long midweek trip to Shakhtar which they lost and they seem to be favourites for a January buy of Falcao.

think we'll see the diamond, hopefully Carrick/Scholes/Anderson and not Carrick/Scholes/Giggs

Thisistheone

Will probably be

DDG
Rafael Rio Evans Evra
Carrick Scholes
Rooney
Valencia RVP Welbeck

Personally I'd prefer Cleverley ahead of Scholes or Valencia, and Nani, obviously.

If Giggs starts my buttocks will be very squeaky.
I imagine this will be the team as well. We'll need protection for the back 4 with Carrick sitting and Scholes helping us control the tempo. Rooney, Valencia and Welbeck all have excellent work rates and defensive responsibilities so can also help restrict Chelsea's creative trio.

As the game progresses we can bring on Hernandez, Cleverley or Nani depending on whats needed.

Shimo

I just hope we start with energy at the start and that means not starting Scholes and Carrick together.

DDG,
Rafael, Rio, Evans, Evra
Cleverly, Carrick, Anderson
Valencia, RVP, Rooney

Should be enough energy in there to press against the likes of Chelsea's front 4 but, also be able to exploit the spaces they'll leave as well

Interval

Level
I just hope we start with energy at the start and that means not starting Scholes and Carrick together.
I agree. As much as I rate Carrick and Scholes, we seem to lose against them time and again due to lack of energy in the midfield. I think we need a solid runner in the center. And if it means plaing Rooney on the left, drifting in, so be it. I'd like to see a 3 man center with Carrick, Scholes/ Anderson and Cleverley. Play Valencia on the right.

Brightonian

DDG,
Rafael, Rio, Evans, Evra
Cleverly, Carrick, Anderson
Valencia, RVP, Rooney

Should be enough energy in there to press against the likes of Chelsea's front 4 but, also be able to exploit the spaces they'll leave as well
That seems pretty sensible. Playing to our current strengths - with all our in-form players - but also hopefully neutralising theirs. It's a shame not to play Hernandez after such a great performance against Braga, but keeping their wide playmakers busy defending will be crucial and Valencia's the man for that job. Plus he does seem to like playing against Cole. :drool:

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
I just want us to use 3 midfielders if I'm honest, because I'm certain Scholes and Carrick will start, and if it's just those 2 in the midfield again they'll most likely be overrun by Chelsea's.
Adding someone like Cleverley or Anderson (preferably the former) would really help us out I think, RvP and Rooney are going to be swapping positions from wide(ish) to central anyway and we should have someone like Valencia or Nani to add some width.
Or heck even put Rooney up top the midfield trio and play Van Persie in the middle with Valencia on the right and Welbeck/Nani on the left.

Oh and ofcourse no mather the first XI Chicharito must be our super-sub, he was way too good to not play against Chelsea, although I can't see him starting with Rooney & RvP clicking the way they do.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
------Valencia-----------------------------------Hernandez

Starting with a front 3 and reverting to a midfield 4 if needed

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If we go 442 in this with Carrick and Scholes the midfield pairing we'll get beat.

I'm hoping we either go 433 and play Rooney on the left or we go with the diamond again. That could get fairly compact though seeing as Chelsea don't really play with width either.