g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Chelsea vs. Manchester United

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'd like to see:

De Gea
Rafael -- Ferdinand -- Evans -- Evra
Carrick
Cleverley Anderson
Nani ---- Van Persie ---- Rooney​

If we stick with the diamond:

De Gea
Rafael Ferdinand Evans Evra
Carrick
Cleverley Anderson
Rooney
Hernandez Van Persie​

But we'll probably see:

De Gea
Valencia Carrick Scholes Giggs
Rooney Van Persie​

Maybe shoehorn Welbeck and Hernandez in somewhere too.... in net or summat.

Redrage

I'd go with

--------------DDG--------------
Rafael-----Rio-----Evans----Evra
-------------Carrick------------
--------Ando--------Clev-------
---Valencia--------------------
----------------Rooney---------
--------RVP--------------------

Subs: Amos, Buttner, Giggs, Scholes, Hernandez, Welbeck, Nani.

Thisistheone

But we'll probably see:

De Gea
Valencia Carrick Scholes Giggs
Rooney Van Persie​

Maybe shoehorn Welbeck and Hernandez in somewhere too.... in net or summat.
I expect this minus Giggs for Welbeck. Surely Fergie won't go for Scholes, Carrick & Giggs. We need legs.

1999united2008

should be a good game, hoping we are on a high after the comeback in midweek, Van Persie and/or Rooney to score!

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Very important game for you guys. A loss means a 7 point gap and a win means you'll only be only one point behind the leader. A world of difference.

I have no idea how this game will turn out to be honest, I can see either team winning this. Good luck boys.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Pirlo excelled in a diamond for Italy, I'd think Scholes could do the same.
Going by the XI you poster earlier, you'd want him in there with Clev and Carrick right?

JMO of course, but i think we would benefit from the greater tenacity and drive offered by Anderson or Fletcher [i wouldn't mind if we fielded both however i doubt we'll see that].

Therefore Carrick should makes way for Scholes who is more likely to produce a match winning moment.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Shocked by how many are wanting us to line up without Valencia. He's one of our best players and has done well vs Cole in the past.

Ash_G

Yeah Nani and Valencia have been big players against Chelsea in recent years, would expect at least one of them to play form or not. really hope we go for a 433, drop Rooney in to a/m and we can get the solidity and fluidity in the middle and still have the width in the two players either side of RVP. Valencia on one side could keep his width and someone like Welbeck or Nani could give you width and come inside.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Shocked by how many are wanting us to line up without Valencia. He's one of our best players and has done well vs Cole in the past.
This. He's not playing to his best right now but he's still our best right winger and usually plays very well against them. His defensive quality will also be needed.

Redrage got it spot on with his line-up as far as I'm concerned.

Havak

Pokemon master
Cech
Ivanovic Luiz Cahill Cole
Ramires Mikel
Mata Oscar Hazard
Torres

van Persie
Rooney Cleverley Valencia
Scholes Carrick
Evra Evans Ferdinand Rafael
de Gea

I would have fancied Chelsea to bench Oscar and have more physical presence in the middle. But with Lampard injured, that central midfield already looks a little thin. They could obviously play Mata or Hazard in the hole, with Ramires on the right and Romeu in the defensive two.. But I think that might be seen as a bit too negative as they're the home side. They could also do similar but play Bertrand on the left if they feel Valencia will get the better of Ashley Cole again, leaving Oscar on the bench.

As for us, the only changes I can see are playing without a winger again (so Welbeck or Hernandez in) and Fletcher or Anderson starting over Scholes if they're up to it. But I still fancy Scholes to start and us to use three central midfield players. Valencia will do plenty of defensive work and tracking Hazard / Mata too, so I'm pretty sure he'll start.

Art

Art the artist
Hernandez has always been good against the chavs. Hell get us a goal in the least.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Valencia's inclusion should depend on the system we play. He fits in well into a 442 but if we go for a front three like we did in our last league game against Stoke then he sticks out like a bit of sore thumb. Same with the diamond formation.

pete_8

De Gea
Valencia Carrick Scholes Nani
Rooney
Van Persie

We seem to play tighter away from home think we might nick it it 0-1 or 1-2

Brightonian

De Gea
Valencia Carrick Scholes Nani
Rooney
Van Persie

We seem to play tighter away from home think we might nick it it 0-1 or 1-2
Not this please! They'll boss us in the middle (Scholes and Carrick simply won't have the energy and mobility to keep up) and all that quality out wide and up front will have been for nothing.

Start with the diamond. If that's not working, then at least we won't have given them control of the match. Better to lean towards control and possession with your starting line-up and adjust back in the direction of threat and width, than the other way round. If you start with loads of strikers and wingers and completely lose control of the game, then no amount of midfielders thrown back into the middle will be able to wrestle it back.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Very important game for you guys. A loss means a 7 point gap and a win means you'll only be only one point behind the leader. A world of difference.
In fairness as evidenced a few times last season and painfully by us at the end a 7 point gap in the Premiership isn't as big as it is in La Liga.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Going by the XI you poster earlier, you'd want him in there with Clev and Carrick right?

JMO of course, but i think we would benefit from the greater tenacity and drive offered by Anderson or Fletcher [i wouldn't mind if we fielded both however i doubt we'll see that].

Therefore Carrick should makes way for Scholes who is more likely to produce a match winning moment.
That a fair point, though Fletcher hasn't looked as tenacious as his old self so far. Carrick does seem to shield the defense pretty well without being anything like Owen Hargreaves.

I quite like Anderson and would be happy if he started, his speed and creativity would be very useful against Chelsea. I'm personally dying to see Scholes, Anderson, Carrick and Rooney as the midfield 4 in a diamond.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Chelsea are a bit narrow. If we go out wide with Cleverley/Rooney and Valencia, we can have a go, especially on the counter where they are vulnerable.

De Gea
Rafael Evans Ferdinand Evra
Carrick Scholes
Valencia Cleverley Rooney
RvP​

We have to match them and be narrow when we don't have the ball, and break with Cleverely, Rooney and Valencia when we don't. They have gaps in between the midfield and defence that can be exploited. It will be extremely tough though. I don't see a good result for us but I hope for the best.

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
I'll miss this one too ffs. Will have to record it. I'll have to resist checking on the caf though...

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Prediction: 3-2

I have missed every game bar 1 so far due to various reasons. This is a must watch!

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I hope that anything meaningful happens in the first half, as i'm not at all sure about getting reception on either a digital or analogue radio inside Wemnbley.

Just give our lads a fighting chance Fergie, only send out one of the "veterans" and don't even think of playing 4-4-2.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
We haven't beaten these feckers at home for 10 years or something.

Something has to change tomorrow :devil:

RvP got a hatrick last time he played at Stamford Bridge.
I believe that's only in league games.

Apr 6, 2011 Chelsea 0-1 Manchester United 37,915 Champions League (Quarter-finals)

IL_DUCE

Chelsea are at their best when they are in control of the midfield, and will depend on their full backs to find alternatives if we hold that control. I think, however Ivanovic and Cole will show limited interest for offensive play while Rooney and Van Persie are lurking around on their lawn. And if they do, I'm guessing two goals from counter attacks and maybe even an assist from De Gea.

I would therefore prefer a hard-working 3 man central midfield - Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley in a diamond - from the start, and then convert into our regular game with wingers and a governing Scholes later in the game if needed.

I expect several goals, and I hope the 3 holy powers (SAF, the referee and the man in the sky) facilitates that we score most.

I can hardly wait. Annoying that we adjust the clock to winter time today which means one more hour playing the waiting game.