Television Chernobyl (HBO/Sky drama series)

spwd

This was powerful finale. "Let him finish" and the looks on everyone's faces at that very moment. Brilliant.
Absolutely fantastic series and I thank you guys for recommending it and your reviews and reactions.

Really heartbreaking and unbelievable how the government reacted and dealt with it, I mean, seriously, is the death toll still officially 31.

ChrisNelson

There are certain countries in the world that wouldn't even have declared a single death in relation to it. Places like North Korea, even in the face of overwhelming evidence would to this day deny it ever occurred.

It was an embarrassment to the Soviet Union at the time but if they had owned up to the full scale and death toll then it would have been much worse and there's no way they would have allowed countries such as the United Stated to look down on them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
To be fair it's pretty much impossible to assess the real number of victims, due to the nature of the event. Hence why even the rough death estimates are ranging between 4000 and 93000. But every time the official number was brought up (be it 31 or 54 — an UNSCEAR's estimate), they should've added that there are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of victims, whose deaths and illnesses were a direct consequence of the Chernobyl accident.

MDFC Manager

Finished watching this. Wow, absolutely brilliant stuff. Couldn't fault anything about it

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sky Atlantic showing "The Real Chernobyl" on Tuesday. Is that a documentary?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I listen to the writers (Craig Mazin) podcast, he seems passionate about Chernobyl. Crazy to think his other writing credits include junk such as Scary Movie and Hangover sequels.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Finished it last night. Absolutely phenomenal viewing. The ending alongwith the music accompanying it absolutely hit me. Hats off to everyone involved. That was a joy to experience.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I've watched 2 episodes so far and it's pretty good but they really should have filmed in American English so us regular folk dont have to put on subtitles.
:lol:

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
i finished the show. didnt think it was that good. my favorite part was when jared harris destroyed those pc ***** with logic. stellan skarsgard was good too. overall the show was fine but i dont understand why it was a huge hit. i also dont understand why serial was so popular so maybe im the weird one.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
i finished the show. didnt think it was that good. my favorite part was when jared harris destroyed those pc ***** with logic. stellan skarsgard was good too. overall the show was fine but i dont understand why it was a huge hit. i also dont understand why serial was so popular so maybe im the weird one.
Yeah you're the weird one :lol:.

Oggmonster

So it is the highest rated series of all time on IMDB.

How are the Breaking Bad fanbois taking it?
I saw the advert for it the other day on tele and they used the IMDB ratings for that as a selling point. Obviously it's a good achievement but I didn't know IMDB carried that much stock to put it on a TV advert!

Classical Mechanic

I saw the advert for it the other day on tele and they used the IMDB ratings for that as a selling point. Obviously it's a good achievement but I didn't know IMDB carried that much stock to put it on a TV advert!
It made me look it up tbh. Will be giving it a watch now. I hadn't paid much attention to it previously.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Not sure why flawless historical accuracy is such a sticking point for people with these kinds of shows. It’s a dramatisation, not a documentary. The creators have never once suggested that they were shooting for something that was intended to capture every single detail - if anything, the point of the series is that we’ll never know the complete truth because of how much was obscured and hidden at the time. So what if some characters turn up who weren’t there in real life? If they add to the drama and the entertainment and the emotional stakes then they’ve done their job for the audience. If you want factual accounts then seek out the numerous documentaries about the disaster. This show is a piece of entertainment and has as much of an obligation to be as factual as all the shitty zombie movies set in Pripyat over the years, as far as I’m concerned.

mu4c_20le

It's more comparable to True Detective imo. One of HBO's finest, short and sweet.

Apart from being a brilliant show, it was amazing to see so many Game of Thrones actors show up and put in a shift.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not sure why flawless historical accuracy is such a sticking point for people with these kinds of shows. It’s a dramatisation, not a documentary. The creators have never once suggested that they were shooting for something that was intended to capture every single detail - if anything, the point of the series is that we’ll never know the complete truth because of how much was obscured and hidden at the time. So what if some characters turn up who weren’t there in real life? If they add to the drama and the entertainment and the emotional stakes then they’ve done their job for the audience. If you want factual accounts then seek out the numerous documentaries about the disaster. This show is a piece of entertainment and has as much of an obligation to be as factual as all the shitty zombie movies set in Pripyat over the years, as far as I’m concerned.
Because being able to trust the show that it's sticking reasonably close to the truth is actually what makes the show gripping, it makes empathy for the characters a lot easier/stronger.

While not considering myself a BB fanboy (I think it's a bit overrated), I don't think you can compare the two. Chernobyl is one of the select few shows I would give 10/10 on the IMDB scale, but it's a 6 hour historic mini series, that's like comparing apples and oranges.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Apart from being a brilliant show, it was amazing to see so many Game of Thrones actors show up and put in a shift.
My favorite was “the lucky mother” that fled with her kid from burning King’s Landing only to end up in radioactive Pripyat’ in a few weeks.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I know, right? Breaking Bad was great, but it's definitely not the second best TV series. I can probably think of half a dozen HBO series that are better, and probably a few non-HBO series as well.
i bet you think you are so clever dont you, you little cnut. next time you try and twist my words i will gut you like the lutefisk you are.

Sterling Archer

Binged the whole thing this weekend. Amazing. Truly haunting. My heart was racing I think for all 6 or 7 hours

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's more comparable to True Detective imo. One of HBO's finest, short and sweet.

Wha?

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Donald Sumpter (Maester Luwin) and Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton) both show up as pretty major characters. Also, she only played a one-time role in Game of Thrones ('The Bells'), but Laura Elphinstone is in a couple of episodes, too.