Chris Armas | New Staff Member

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that we really need to see things from the right perspective

A- Its very hard to hire top coaches in the middle of a season and for an interim manager. Ideally we would have had a Manchester United level of coaching staff already in place. Its not Rangnick fault that our coaching staff is made up mostly of Ole's mates from his Cardiff/Molde experience and coaches who coached some U18s. Unfortunately legend was more focused in reconnecting with old mates and making new ones then actually win trophies.

B- We give so much attention to coaches because our legend who loved us so much and understood what this club is all about didn't bothered doing any coaching at all and would go for a holiday leaving much of the work to his inexperienced coaching staff. Rangnick might lack United DNA but he seems the kind of person whose got a good work ethic and understand the value of actually coaching the squad. This means that the coaching staff can now take the back seat because they can rely on an experienced manager who is doing his job.

C- I don't think that Armas will be the only person Rangnick will bring with him.

D- I saw some clips of the guy and he seem to be the motivating type of person. That makes sense really. United had just lost legend 1 and legend 2 who were mostly arms on your shoulder type of guys. Rangnick doesn't seem that kind of person (he's got other less important stuff in his head like tactics, coaching, philosophy, experience and work ethic) and gegenpressing will require our team to work like mules during training session and games. So our team will suddenly find themselves lacking someone to talk to, hug them when they are bruised and making them feel protected and loved. Armas seems that type of person. He might not be very successful management wise but he's got more experience then most of Ole's coaching staff (bar Phelan) put together. At least he had managed adults not U18s

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I think that we really need to see things from the right perspective

A- Its very hard to hire top coaches in the middle of a season and for an interim manager. Ideally we would have had a Manchester United level of coaching staff already in place. Its not Rangnick fault that our coaching staff is made up mostly of Ole's mates from his Cardiff/Molde experience and coaches who coached some U18s. Unfortunately legend was more focused in reconnecting with old mates and making new ones then actually win trophies.

B- We give so much attention to coaches because our legend who loved us so much and understood what this club is all about didn't bothered doing any coaching at all and would go for a holiday leaving much of the work to his inexperienced coaching staff. Rangnick might lack United DNA but he seems the kind of person whose got a good work ethic and understand the value of actually coaching the squad. This means that the coaching staff can now take the back seat because they can rely on an experienced manager who is doing his job.

C- I don't think that Armas will be the only person Rangnick will bring with him.

D- I saw some clips of the guy and he seem to be the motivating type of person. That makes sense really. United had just lost legend 1 and legend 2 who were mostly arms on your shoulder type of guys. Rangnick doesn't seem that kind of person (he's got other less important stuff in his head like tactics, coaching, philosophy, experience and work ethic) and gegenpressing will require our team to work like mules during training session and games. So our team will suddenly find themselves lacking someone to talk to, hug them when they are bruised and making them feel protected and loved. Armas seems that type of person. He might not be very successful management wise but he's got more experience then most of Ole's coaching staff (bar Phelan) put together. At least he had managed adults not U18s
Well that rules out this post then.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So we went from atrocious to average now.
I was being respectful, he was a pretty atrocious manager for a top side.

Like come on, 2 of the "achievements" you listed were finishing 4th with Madrid and almost beating Spain. That's average at best material.

I'm a beautiful thing

I'm fine with this, Ralf isn't running this by committee, he will tell what the coaches what he wants from them and expect them to do it,.
I can imagine he will be very hands on anyway

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What's wrong with what I said?
From my perspective, mainly this:
He's not good at motivating the players or making them feel protected & loved. He doesn't have the sort of leadership aura to captivate the players and have them listen to him. What he does have, however, is a good amount of football knowledge, particularly in implementing a pressing game. At RBNY, Marsch was the guy who'd motivate & protect the players. When Marsch left, Armas slowly started to lose the players. In Toronto FC, even though we had to deal with many challenges (no established location for a pre-season, playing far away from home, injuries, etc.), he still couldn't motivate the players and get them to consistently apply his system. We had some good moments, but the players started to down tools fairly early.

I suspect he's joining us to drill our players into executing the pressing game. Basically, he's here purely to coach us and nothing else. Sascha Lense is going to help keep the players motivated and willing to run through brick walls for the team.

Betson

Lie most people I now very little about him , but that does not matter , what matters is that the manager gets to bring in some of his own people whom he feels can help him. So I just wish him the best of luck and hope he does well here.

Hoof the ball

https://theathletic.com/3004317/202...nner-infectious-positivity-organise-midfield/

• Working as assistant coach in place of Michael Carrick
  • Former assistant manager of Jesse Marsch at NY Red Bulls
  • Those who worked with him call him "a fecking competitor"; "a winner with an infectious positivity about him," and "can relate and engage with any type of person or player".
  • Failed at Toronto where he was working with one of the oldest squads in the MLS, deemed unsuitable for his own demand of relentless press, active out of possession football.
  • Impressed Rangnick in 2019 with his complete dedication to the Red Bull ideology.
  • Led Red Bulls (2018) to their best season in history as a club. Best regular season record in MLS whilst renovating squad the same season.
  • As Red Bulls coach, his team had fastest ball recoveries in the league, highest press and most direct style.
  • Improved their xG by 0.24 per game.

wolvored

CQ was anything but atrocious. That's revisionist.

Iran qualified for the World Cup twice under his watch and punched above their weight in both tournaments.

Portugal were tumescent to watch but were the team that came closest to beating Spain in the 2010 WC.

He got sacked after a year at RM, but they were leading the league for the most part and really only collapsed at the end of the season and finished 4th.
McLaren wasn't bad either. We were treble winners under him.

wolvored

Look at it another way. He can't be as bad as the last lot. Can he?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
If there was a potential succession plan, possibly. We've gone from jobs for the boys (United) to jobs for the boys (Rangnick's mates). Marsch could be an outside shout to eventually Replace Rangnick, with his former assistant now in place, the American Glazer connection. That could be reaching a bit though.
Is it?

I fully understand why in an interim job you would turn to staff that 1. Are available and 2. Will hit the ground running. I choose to focus on that angle, one anchored in common sense.

That said, even if it didn't all emerge from or tie back to Glazers and their love for franchises, I wouldn't be surprised if they get somewhat enamoured with it all. Or Red Bull do.

We are Manchester United FFS not a sweet caffeine and taurine beverage having a stab at soccer.

Bottomline is... I hate modern football :annoyed:

Daengophile

As far as I'm concerned, Rangnick could bring in Arthur Daley to coach the team.

As we all know, he will be judged on results.

Maybe we can get some American football skills that turn every throw in into a corner!

OmarUnited4ever

How often does a head coach/manager take on an assistant role at another club?
Most prominent example I can think of is Carlos Queiroz, from RM manager to MUFC Assistant Manager, that was back in 03/04.

There is Craig Shakespeare, who was made Interim Manager at Leicester in 2017 after Ranieri was sacked, he did well and got a 3 year contract as Permanent Manager, four months in, after poor results he was sacked, since then only worked as assistant manager to Nigel Pearson & Dean Smith.

I can't think of others really, so to answer your question, probably not very often.

Varun1

Most prominent example I can think of is Carlos Queiroz, from RM manager to MUFC Assistant Manager, that was back in 03/04.

There is Craig Shakespeare, who was made Interim Manager at Leicester in 2017 after Ranieri was sacked, he did well and got a 3 year contract as Permanent Manager, four months in, after poor results he was sacked, since then only worked as assistant manager to Nigel Pearson & Dean Smith.

I can't think of others really, so to answer your question, probably not very often.
Walter Smith as SAF's assistant for a short period.
Isn't Stuart Pearce at West Ham?
Joe Jordan managed some club then was Harry Redknapp's assistant?
I can't remember other names but there has been a few for sure.

Last edited:

croadyman

Anyone know if we are interested in that Mansch as well or was it always between this guy and him

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Anyone know if we are interested in that Mansch as well or was it always between this guy and him
I've seen rumors suggesting he could be on his way to join Ralf's staff. But I also suspect he may hold off this month and see what transpires on both sides of the pond. I imagine he's probably on some MLS short lists, and would think the same for European leagues.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If there was a potential succession plan, possibly. We've gone from jobs for the boys (United) to jobs for the boys (Rangnick's mates). Marsch could be an outside shout to eventually Replace Rangnick, with his former assistant now in place, the American Glazer connection. That could be reaching a bit though.
LIterally every manager brings his own people ("mates" as you call it)

It's different from Ole's club, because other top managers bring in people who they've had actual success with managing, LVG and Frans Hoek for example.

Ole FC was formed at United. Ole wasn't even the first one to come in.

lex talionis

Ralf is interim manager. No chance he would have brought in a stable of top coaches knowing they’ll all be gone by the end of May.

I hope no one here seriously believes that Ralf will be named permanent manager.

United in sin

Ralf is interim manager. No chance he would have brought in a stable of top coaches knowing they’ll all be gone by the end of May.

I hope no one here seriously believes that Ralf will be named permanent manager.
You can't guarantee that he won't. Would it really surprise you after everything we've seen at this poorly run club?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He’s a shit coach who took 2 top MLS clubs and brought them down, one of them all the way to the bottom. Of course he isn’t going the convince anyone. TFC players don’t even have a good thing to say about him.

Flexdegea

Classic Caf.........coach getting slated when no one actually has a clue what they are doing or even like on the pitch.

They aren't managers........we need to stop treating them with the same treatment

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They are attacking him, next mckenna

This all sounds like the Munich players undermining Ancelotti and Kovac in short succession. Except they could reasonably point out how they were a world class, trophy-winning team and know what works for them. What pedigree do United's players have to question anything right now?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He’s a shit coach who took 2 top MLS clubs and brought them down, one of them all the way to the bottom. Of course he isn’t going the convince anyone. TFC players don’t even have a good thing to say about him.
Come on thats just mean, we don't know how he is as a coach . Shot manager? Yes . Shit coach? We absolutely don't know.

The United

This all sounds like the Munich players undermining Ancelotti and Kovac in short succession. Except they could reasonably point out how they were a world class, trophy-winning team and know what works for them. What pedigree do United's players have to question anything right now?
Or the guy is just shit? His records probably imply that a bit.

We do have multiple winners in the squad, just not at United. I mean do you think that players playing for United could not tell if coaches are competent or not?

Even in normal work settings, you can with some people above you.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Come on thats just mean, we don't know how he is as a coach . Shot manager? Yes . Shit coach? We absolutely don't know.
Oh my god mean? Oh, no poor guy destroys clubs and people are mean to him.

He’s shit, shit manager and a shit coach. We absolutely do know as I’ve had the players coached by him tell me straight that he is shit. MLS managers are actually just head coaches, so hiding behind that nonsense is just stupid. We know exactly how shit of a coach he is.