6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Kounan

That pretty much means nothing nowadays. But agree that he is playing well (although not even near the standard of a top CB).
So, how is he supposed to be playing to be near the standard of top CB? Look at his whole season, how do TOP CBs play compared to him?

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
That pretty much means nothing nowadays. But agree that he is playing well (although not even near the standard of a top CB).
Well Rojo and Jones have been decent at least, saying someone is better than Evans means nothing tho. And isnt he? He has been class pure defensively, hardly making any mistakes in that aspect, and his distribution has massively improved, not hoofing any more, trying forward passes, bursting forward, had a brainfart vs City and a half one today, what should he to, to be near that standard? Probably change his name in Hummels, who has been way less than him this season, yet we like to pay big money for him.

Revan

Assumptionman
So, how is he supposed to be playing to be near the standard of top CB? Look at his whole season.
Significantly better than he is doing. Being better than Jones and Evans doesn't mean much (especially with Evans' form).

I am a fan of Smalling and rate him significantly higher than our other 3 CB, but I don't think that he has progressed much since his debut season with us (2010-2011).

Rossa

Our defense looks so much more solid with him than without him. That is a trademark of a top class CB. His runs through the middle are starting to win me over as well. His strength and pace are vital if we want to continue with a 3-5-2 formation. If only he could stay fit...

Rossa

Significantly better than he is doing. Being better than Jones and Evans doesn't mean much (especially with Evans' form).

I am a fan of Smalling and rate him significantly higher than our other 3 CB, but I don't think that he has progressed much since his debut season with us (2010-2011).
He has shown improvement since that City game - more composure and looks more assured going into tackles.

Kounan

He was brilliant against Chelsea, which was before the City game, then against Arsenal, and later on. He is actually playing really well, like at the beginning of his United career, but the rest of the defenders just isn't helping (even if Jones is doing OK, but is doing stupid fouls).

Yes, he didn't progress as much, but this season he is getting better and better. Even last season, he was very good (the Hull game was bad) and probably our best CB (I am not talking about his games as FB), the games against Bayern were almost perfection.

Skills

Snitch

Probably because we decided to feck with him and waste him for the next 3 years (+ injuries), rather than actually let him develop properly in his actual position.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He had a decent game, but I don't think it was up there with his best performances. He looked nervous every time a ball was launched into the box, and even though he dealt with Stoke's attacks well, he didn't seem comfortable enough dealing with the height and aggression of Stoke's players at times, particularly in set pieces.

He already is good at imposing himself against physical, aggressive players, but Crouch shouldn't really fluster Smalling. Cahill and Terry were comfortable at dealing with him for the whole 90 minutes. Smalling, whilst having dealt with Crouch well, didn't really dominate him.

Skills

Snitch
He had a decent game, but I don't think it was up there with his best performances. He looked nervous every time a ball was launched into the box, and even though he dealt with Stoke's attacks well, he didn't seem comfortable enough dealing with the height and aggression of Stoke's players at times, particularly in set pieces.

He already is good at imposing himself against physical, aggressive players, but Crouch shouldn't really fluster Smalling. Cahill and Terry were comfortable at dealing with him for the whole 90 minutes. Smalling, whilst having dealt with Crouch well, didn't really dominate him.
Yep, basically sums up what I think. It was decent but quite a bit below his own standard.

Sammyjunn

Smalling had to do it on his own, and making Diouf two, whilst dumb and dumber just did nothing all match, and even then, he had some very good tackles, just before half time, 2 blocks which prevented danger. He didnt hoof the ball like Evans, was calm when he got the ball. Was solid, Crouch is one hard guy to deal with, his height advantage is unreal.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Smalling had to do it on his own, and making Diouf two, whilst dumb and dumber just did nothing all match, and even then, he had some very good tackles, just before half time, 2 blocks which prevented danger. He didnt hoof the ball like Evans, was calm when he got the ball. Was solid, Crouch is one hard guy to deal with, his height advantage is unreal.
I wouldn't say Smalling was carrying Evans and Jones. Jones was defensively good bar the defensive mistake that led to Stoke's goal, and even though Jones conceded several fouls, he actually had a good match for me. Evans looked unsettled throughout the match, and he made it tougher for Smalling and Jones as a result. Even then, Evans wasn't a liability, defensively; he did struggle against Diouf and Walters at times, but he wasn't horrible.

Overall, Smalling was solid, but he wasn't dominant. When you look at how Terry and Cahill dominated Crouch and Walters, you would expect Smalling to keep Crouch quiet and be comfortable. He did keep Crouch quiet for much of the match, but I never found Smalling to be comfortable. Maybe the injury layoff might have something to do with that, but then again, the conditions were also tough to play in.

Kounan

I wouldn't say Smalling was carrying Evans and Jones. Jones was defensively good bar the defensive mistake that led to Stoke's goal, and even though Jones conceded several fouls, he actually had a good match for me. Evans looked unsettled throughout the match, and he made it tougher for Smalling and Jones as a result. Even then, Evans wasn't a liability, defensively; he did struggle against Diouf and Walters at times, but he wasn't horrible.

Overall, Smalling was solid, but he wasn't dominant. When you look at how Terry and Cahill dominated Crouch and Walters, you would expect Smalling to keep Crouch quiet and be comfortable. He did keep Crouch quiet for much of the match, but I never found Smalling to be comfortable. Maybe the injury layoff might have something to do with that, but then again, the conditions were also tough to play in.
How often were Cahill and Terry attacked, and how often were we attacked?

People seem to ignore that.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
How often were Cahill and Terry attacked, and how often were we attacked?

People seem to ignore that.
I watched the first half, and Stoke were quite often playing long balls forward to Crouch with Arnautovic frequently crossing the ball into the box. They attacked against Chelsea the same way they attacked against us. Both of us dealt with their attacks and almost nullified them. The difference, however, was that we didn't look comfortable, defensively, against them whenever they launched the ball in, whilst Chelsea did. When Stoke put up a physical challenge, Chelsea did as well; we, however, didn't really (only Jones and Smalling had a go; the rest wilted and caused us to be put under more pressure, resulting in more discomfort for Smalling and Jones).

I have never said that Smalling performed badly. In fact, I've frequently mentioned that he dealt with Stoke's attacks well. However, he didn't look as comfortable as he did against Chelsea, Stoke at home, Southampton before the injury, etc. That's expected; it's his first start back from injury in tough playing conditions in a team that didn't impose itself upon Stoke City today.

Kounan

I understand what you said, it's just that I can understand why Smalling didn't look comfortable, as there aren't many of our players who really help. Chelsea has Matic, Ivanović (full back, but great at jumping), while our midfield doesn't really help and we are not able to take the ball from our goal.

Stoke always attacks the same way, but in the second half, till the last 10 minutes, they were just having an attack, after attack, and we didn't do anything and not just high balls, but a lot went through wingers, which makes it harder.

I get what you're saying, I got the same feeling, but just wanna say that I think that we should look for reasons in other positions.

Dr Baltar

There is just one clueless person here, and that's you. Embarassing post, you probably dont even watch United as he is by far the best CB United got.
"I don't agree with your opinion so you must not have watched the game" is a response used exclusively by 12 year old fan boys to defend their favourite players.
The reason we won't challenge for the title this year & the reason we're not going to be one of the top teams in Europe for a while is because we have players like Chris Smalling playing for us.

Sammyjunn

"I don't agree with your opinion so you must not have watched the game" is a response used exclusively by 12 year old fan boys to defend their favourite players.
The reason we won't challenge for the title this year & the reason we're not going to be one of the top teams in Europe for a while is because we have players like Chris Smalling playing for us.
You do know that we've become champions twice while Smalling was playing at the club? Probably not as you barely watch United. It's just an bizarre statement again, so City wont challenge for the title because they got Mangala en Demichelis? Didnt Liverpool challenge for the title with those abysmal defenders? We have won numerous titles with bloody Evans, what are you tossing lad?

Loublaze

ATLien
No, its because we have clowns like Evans

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
:lol:

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I think you've had a few too many margaritas.

Dr Baltar

You do know that we've become champions twice while Smalling was playing at the club? Probably not as you barely watch United. It's just an bizarre statement again, so City wont challenge for the title because they got Mangala en Demichelis? Didnt Liverpool challenge for the title with those abysmal defenders? We have won numerous titles with bloody Evans, what are you tossing lad?
So we shouldn't be worried that we have rubbish defenders because Liverpool nearly won the league last year with bad defenders?
Smalling was a bit-part player when we won the league.

No, its because we have clowns like Evans
Evans playing poorly doesn't make Smalling any better.

Loublaze

ATLien
So we shouldn't be worried that we have rubbish defenders because Liverpool nearly won the league last year with bad defenders?
Smalling was a bit-part player when we won the league.

Evans playing poorly doesn't make Smalling any better.
Smalling is the better defender. Its clear as night and day

@Dr Baltar I meant Smalling is better. Just noticed and corrected it

Last edited:

m1y2

looked very solid and experienced. shows how much confidence he out of the blue gained. I am almost starting to think that he could become top CB as he is maybe the most athletic CB I have ever seen, this guy could play any sport with his body stature, could actually wrestle as he is very strong, absolute top class in the air. We will forgive him his lost aerial challenge with Crouch on the front post which was obviously as difficult as it gets.. underrated with ball at his feet as he is good technically even with not best first touch, good reading of the game, good aggresivity. hopefully he stays fit as I want really to see him becoming the leagues star..

Loublaze

ATLien
looked very solid and experienced. shows how much confidence he out of the blue gained. I am almost starting to think that he could become top CB as he is maybe the most athletic CB I have ever seen, this guy could play any sport with his body stature, could actually wrestle as he is very strong, absolute top class in the air. We will forgive him his lost aerial challenge with Crouch on the front post which was obviously as difficult as it gets.. underrated with ball at his feet as he is good technically even with not best first touch, good reading of the game, good aggresivity. hopefully he stays fit as I want really to see him becoming the leagues star..
Very good post

surf

Today was a tough assignment marking Crouch and Diouf and he stood up to it well. A few dodgy moments which could have been more costly. In this type of game you need someone who can defend and he can do it all day. Just as well that he got the nod over McNair, who would not have been a good match up with Crouch and Diouf. The back line needs him as he is the only solid central defender we have.

ravi2

Are you high?

ravi2

I think if we pair him with a top shelf CB like godin our back line would improve immeasurably.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I understand what you said, it's just that I can understand why Smalling didn't look comfortable, as there aren't many of our players who really help. Chelsea has Matic, Ivanović (full back, but great at jumping), while our midfield doesn't really help and we are not able to take the ball from our goal.

Stoke always attacks the same way, but in the second half, till the last 10 minutes, they were just having an attack, after attack, and we didn't do anything and not just high balls, but a lot went through wingers, which makes it harder.

I get what you're saying, I got the same feeling, but just wanna say that I think that we should look for reasons in other positions.
Fair enough, Smalling didn't (and doesn't) get as much support as Terry and Cahill do, and it's what makes them look better than they really are.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Of all our defenders (bar Rojo because he's too new), he's definitely the one I'd say is the best defender of the lot and the one I'd trust the most to defend properly. Jones is the one I'd say has the most all round ability but still doesn't show enough intelligence. Evans has regressed into complete mediocrity.

I'd go with a back 2 of two of Rojo, Smalling and Jones week in week out.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He has played well this season but yesterday he was at fault for the goal, lost Crouch who hit the post and should have given away a penalty. Not a good performance from any of the defenders but the conditions didn't help. We did well to get out with a draw considering how bad the back 3 were.

Ekeke

Surprised to see that he's the second highest on the man of the match poll (unless the posters who voted are wumming). He really struggled today and couldn't cope with Crouch or Diouf. He seemed rather flustered every time the ball was in our box and could've given away a penalty.
Actually he did well aside from losing Crouch for the first header and getting away with the handball. Those two things are obviously important and detract from his performance so overall it wasn't quite a good performance, but his defensive work was still the best of our back 3 by a distance. He didn't struggle, he simply made a mistake with Crouch on the set piece and his hand was a bit too high when blocking one shot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I prefer McNair
That's ridiculous. McNair is a not very good PL centre-half who happens to be 19.

The 'senior' defenders we love to criticise in Smalling, Jones and Evans were all quite a bit better when they broke through at 19/20 to me. McNair may become a top defender one day, but I can't help think all this praise being lavished on him is setting people up for disppointment if/when he turns out to be average - because he hasn't actually shown that much yet in my view.

The gap between Smalling and McNair is huge. If you would have rather McNair played against Stoke away than Chris Smalling then, you come across as one of those irrational/romantic type fans IMO.

Litch

It's a real shame that we couldn't have retained Vidic or Rio. Not saying they'd have played every week but these young CB's lack of experience is being exposed and this is having a massive impact on their confidence. Smalling can go on to be a very good utd player.

Dr Baltar

You lot are deluded. He hasn't even started half of our games this year & in the games when he has started or played a significant amount of time our results have been poor.

A - Stoke Jan 1, 2015 Prem D 1-1 Started 0
A - Southampton Dec 8, 2014 Prem W 1-2 Sub-Off 17 min
H - Stoke Dec 2, 2014 Prem W 2-1 Started 0
H - Hull Nov 29, 2014 Prem W 3-0 Started 1
A - Arsenal Nov 22, 2014 Prem W 1-2 Started 0
A - Man City Nov 2, 2014 Prem L 1-0 Started 0
H - Chelsea Oct 26, 2014 Prem D 1-1 Started 0
A - Leicester Sep 21, 2014 Prem L 5-3 Sub-On 29 min
A - Sunderland Aug 24, 2014 Prem D 1-1 Sub-Off 43 min
H - Swansea Aug 16, 2014 Prem L 1-2 Started

Other than Evans' mistake yesterday most of Stoke's chances came from his inability to mark Crouch properly once during the whole game.

Crouch had a free-header for the first goal because Smalling followed the wrong player.
Crouch hit the post because Smalling gave away a stupid free-kick & then didn't challenge properly when the free-kick was played in.
Crouch should have had a penalty because Smalling didn't mark him properly & handballed it instead.

....ignore all of that though. Let's all just say Smalling's brilliant because that's the general opinion.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I think if we pair him with a top shelf CB like godin our back line would improve immeasurably.
Yep, I think Smalling is good enough to be a starter for a top team as long as he has a good, experienced CB next to him. I don't think he's ready yet to be the leader of a defence, although he is getting better at it.