6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Getsme

Call it what you want, its an observation and you know its true (for you personally). I've noticed it in other people too. You're passive aggressive about it though.
Passive aggressive. Ok then.

RuudTom83

Lost the battle! Lost his place! :houllier:

Everything is so black and white these days, I'd hardly say anyone in defense is guaranteed a place, maybe Rojo is the exception but all the rest have been changed regularly. I doubt Smalling not starting today has any great meaning on his future etc.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There are many more parameters than footballing ability taken into account for a coach to make a decision like this (as in terms of football there isn't a big gap between Smalling and Jones). Maybe LVG appreciates Jones' attitude or something else different. My point is that it's not a shocking decision because they're at the same level basically.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Some people do not want to accept it but, it just seems obvious that Van Gaal rates Jones over Smalling and that Jones/Rojo is his first choice CB pair.

West Ham 1:1 Man Utd

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sakho and Valencia are constantly getting the better of Jones/Rojo in one-on-ones with their pace and trickery. If only we had a defender adept at dealing with that sort of stuff...

Ekeke

A fair number of players have taken a while to get back into the team after being out with injuries this season. LVG seems to take things slow with them.

Having said that, Jones and Rojo seem to be his kind of CBs - wanting to make things happen and get forward, but not doing a convincing job defending their goalkeeper.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I dont remember West Ham having a single attack or chance after Solid Chris came on.

Seriously though, he should have started.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We suffered under long balls and free kicks all night. No doubt having Smalling and Fellaini in the team would have helped endlessly. Maybe Carroll not starting swung their decision, but I think Smalling is better on the ground and in the air than Jones anyway.

jojose

You’ve already said you haven’t seen him play much over the last few years yet claim he is shit, that he was shit at the World Cup (even though he got into the team of the tournament) admit that the large majority of fans would pick Hummels over Smalling (but they’re all brainwashed right, in fact everybody is but you) I gave you stats which proved that the team conceded less goals and gained more points when he played which you brushed off. You're a troll, and a pretty obvious one

I’ve seen them play 9 or 10 times in the league and each Champions league game

Never once said he was shit. Said numerous times that his form has been average over the last 18 months - when ive seen him. Admittedley thats not as much as your claiming

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Without him in defence, we've no one to actually win headers... which - above everything else - should be a huge reason for his continued inclusion.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lost the battle! Lost his place! :houllier:

Everything is so black and white these days, I'd hardly say anyone in defense is guaranteed a place, maybe Rojo is the exception but all the rest have been changed regularly. I doubt Smalling not starting today has any great meaning on his future etc.
Its Rojo plus one. Smalling's injury set him back because Jones did well in his place. Smalling will now get his chance either in the league game on Wednesday or in the FA cup next Monday. Evans is not favored.

Getsme

Will people finally accept that LVG currently sees him as fourth choice CB.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's baffling, but theres about 5 others baffling squad decisions he makes weekly so I've lost interest.

Zoo

If Jones was injured or suspended I think Smalling would be more likely to replace him, not Evans.

Can't conclusively say he's 4th choice.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I don't think Van Gaal necessarily rates Evans more than Smalling, he's just in ahead of him because he's more comfortable on that side than Smalling is. Jones is definitely ahead of him in the pecking order now though.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Evans on the left is understandable. Jones ahead of Smalling I don't understand though. They are not even in the same category for me.

Getsme

I don't think Van Gaal necessarily rates Evans more than Smalling, he's just in ahead of him because he's more comfortable on that side than Smalling is. Jones is definitely ahead of him in the pecking order now though.
That's fair, however it wouldn't surprise me if he picked McNair over Smalling. I've said it before in here, but I dont think LVG rates Smalling for whatever reason.

Blue always red

Not only is he the best 1 on 1 defender we have, he is also the only one who takes charge of a situation. Jones and Evans feck about leaving it to each other. So disappointed.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
That's fair, however it wouldn't surprise me if he picked McNair over Smalling. I've said it before in here, but I dont think LVG rates Smalling for whatever reason.
It is starting to look that way, unfortunately.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I don't think he sees Evans ahead of Smalling. Smalling would be playing if he had a left foot.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
:rolleyes:

This place, honestly. It's a fecking mad-house..:
Who do you think I was talking about?
I regard Herrera as our best all-round, central midfielder (note this is different to "attacking midfielder" or "defensive midfielder").

Blind and Carrick are DMs, good at what they do but limited. Di Maria is for me an attacking midfielder, not a true CM, and whilst I like Fellaini he is definitely not an all-rounder.