Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Jones is younger and much better on the ball. Been up and down this season (as has everyone) but definitely has more potential than Smalling.
I disagree about that. Jones is definitely better on the ball but the difference isn't as big as some claim. And even if Jones has more potential (don't think that's true but it's a matter of opinion) Smalling is much better right now.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Where do you see Jones' potential? He's younger but his tactical incompetence, rashness isnt something he's going to loose soon enough imo, while Smalling is already a very good defender, whose main point of development should come with staying fit.
Jones is younger and much better on the ball. Been up and down this season (as has everyone) but definitely has more potential than Smalling.

Classical Mechanic

I disagree about that. Jones is definitely better on the ball but the difference isn't as big as some claim. And even if Jones has more potential (don't think that's true but it's a matter of opinion) Smalling is much better right now.
It is like Michael Owen always says about Smalling, he has no pass appreciation, he rifles in really hard passes at the wrong time on a regular basis. It isn't just about getting the ball to your man. I have mentioned this before on here and been told not to listen to Owen, which I find odd as he is a former top level footballer who has played the game actually with Chris Smalling!

Getsme

Smallings biggest weakness is his passing, he often over or under hits the ball, I feel this is the reason LVG sees Jones as the better player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Where do you see Jones' potential? He's younger but his tactical incompetence, rashness isnt something he's going to loose soon enough imo, while Smalling is already a very good defender, whose main point of development should come with staying fit.
Jones is only 22. That's very young for a CB. He'll improve a lot in the next few years. Smalling will too but - at 25 - by not as much. Plus rashness and tactical appreciation improve a lot with age. Weight of pass, not so much.

The big question about both of them is injuries.

Glanville95

Completely disagree about Jones being clearly superior on the ball. Smalling has improved considerably in this regard - even though he is still a bit of a liability - but there really isn't much between the two at all. In fact, I'd say Smalling now has better composure and ability to bring the ball forward than Jones who often relinquishes possession when he's looking for a pass after driving forward.

And Smalling's significantly better when it comes to pure defending. Isn't even close IMO.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It is like Michael Owen always says about Smalling, he has no pass appreciation, he rifles in really hard passes at the wrong time on a regular basis. It isn't just about getting the ball to your man. I have mentioned this before on here and been told not to listen to Owen, which I find odd as he is a former top level footballer who has played the game actually with Chris Smalling!
That was a while ago. I believe LvG makes them practice that area a lot more than any previous manager.

Smallings biggest weakness is his passing, he often over or under hits the ball, I feel this is the reason LVG sees Jones as the better player.
I get your point. However, do you think Jones is that much better to justify playing him instead of Smalling? Because I wouldn’t call any of them a good passer.

Getsme

That was a while ago. I believe LvG makes them practice that area a lot more than any previous manager.

I get your point. However, do you think Jones is that much better to justify playing him instead of Smalling? Because I wouldn’t call any of them a good passer.
I'd say Jones is the better passer, but on a bad day he couldnt pass to a barn door

Walters_19_MuFc

Smalling is not fourth choice. Jones, although people keep putting him down, is on a good run of games, which is why Smalling is out of the team. Maybe if Smalling could stay fit, he wouldn't have found himself out of the team in the first place.

Evans is starting tonight because our choices at left centre back (LCB) are Evans and Rojo, and seeing as Rojo is at left back tonight, Evans will start.

How difficult is it?

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Fair enough, but I think passing ability is much easier developed, in training for exanple. Smalling has already massively improved in that aspect this season, but learning to read the game, not make rash challenges, tactical awareness and purely preventing stupidity, will take years I think.
Jones is only 22. That's very young for a CB. He'll improve a lot in the next few years. Smalling will too but - at 25 - by not as much. Plus rashness and tactical appreciation improve a lot with age. Weight of pass, not so much.

Man Utd 3:1 Burnley

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Heh. Last sentence wasn't an edit, honest!

FFS...

Man-United

Is it possible to hide the threadmarks and twitter feed during games? It updates so quick and with the stream it sucks to get the news before it happens on the stream..