Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

We need to get rid if we have aspirations of winning the league.
We've conceded the least amount of goals in the league so that's factually incorrect.

The reason we won't win the league is because we've scored two goals in the last four league games. It's got sod all to do with Chris Smalling.

Perhaps the bloke in charge could set us up to actually try and play football. In that case, we might actually score more than one bloody goal.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He had to. It was the right decision for him, otherwise Bakayoko would have been free and the ball might not be a cross to Morata but a pass to Bakayoko. Jones has to take the blame for being out of position and Smalling was just covering Jones.
In a back three, yes you need to be reactive but you only leave your man, who’s on the edge of the 6 yard box (we’re not talking just inside your half here!!) unless your certain you have cover and that would normally mean a shout from a team mate.

Ekeke

We've conceded the least amount of goals in the league so that's factually incorrect.

The reason we won't win the league is because we've scored two goals in the last four league games. It's got sod all to do with Chris Smalling.

Perhaps the bloke in charge could set us up to actually try and play football. In that case, we might actually score more than one bloody goal.
Agree

Mike09

Yes he left his ******* man !!! You dont’t do that without checking another defender can pick him up, especially their number 9. Have you ever played football?
Yes he can do that, there is Bailly who should have cover Smalling's man and Valencia should have cover Bailly's man. Jones was nowhere near Azpilicueta. He was ball watching (not closing down anyone), out of position and mark no one.

Mike09

In a back three, yes you need to be reactive but you only leave your man, who’s on the edge of the 6 yard box (we’re not talking just inside your half here!!) unless your certain you have cover and that would normally mean a shout from a team mate.
He had Bailly as a cover and Valencia should have covered Bailly's man. This is how you make a quick reaction which is what Rio & Vidic did so many times. Jones did nothing but ball watching in that goal.

All 3 United

Thank you. You're utterly clueless and we've had enough
Yes Smalling did the right think leaving his man for a free header that cost us the game.

Your argument of being reactive to a situation also contradicts itself with regard to Jones closing the ball down (reactive play) but clearly you have an agenda against Jones. The difference being when Jones was reactive, he didn’t leave their main striker completely free just outside the 6 yard box.

I don’t want to be personally insulting to a fellow united fan, so it perhaps best I don’t comment any further.

All 3 United

He had Bailly as a cover and Valencia should have covered Bailly's man. This is how you make a quick reaction which is what Rio & Vidic did so many times. Jones did nothing but ball watching in that goal.
Unless Bailly could suddenly move at the speed of light he certainly didn’t have Bailly as cover! In that position you don’t leave your man unless you get a shout. It really is basics.

Mike09

Jones went to close the ball down. I think it was Matic that should have dropped with Bakayoko BUT Smalling should not ever have left his man. Basics. Stop trying to defend that. You sound stupid.
He didn't went to close the ball down at all. Jones was nowhere near Azpilicueta. I don't even know what he was trying to do for that goal, who he was marking for that goal and who he was trying to close down for that goal and why he left his position.

Ekeke

Could you sum up, missing the aftermath?
Just said that Jones gets himself in an awkward position trying to close down Azp, but not very well. Smalling has to go with Bakayoko, Bailly has to come across and defend the box and Valencia needs to come back and deal with the backpost players if they become involved. System fail.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Just said that Jones gets himself in an awkward position trying to close down Azp, but not very well. Smalling has to go with Bakayoko, Bailly has to come across and defend the box and Valencia needs to come back and deal with the backpost players if they become involved. System fail.
Did he just leave it as a system fail or did he blame anyone in particular?

Bobski

Cheers. Similar to my thoughts, just poor all round with a cascade of reactions that made it worse.

Ekeke

Did he just leave it as a system fail or did he blame anyone in particular?
He said basically everyone other than Smalling should have done something different to what they did. Not in those words, but rather than singling out who did something wrong, Smalling was the only one he said did what he had to do. Jones out of position, Bailly needs to come across, Valencia needs to come across.

Mike09

Unless Bailly could suddenly move at the speed of light he certainly didn’t have Bailly as cover! In that position you don’t leave your man unless you get a shout. It really is basics.
The distance between Bailly and Morata aren't far. You don't need a speed of light in order to move quickly in less than 1 metre distance. The moment Smalling left his position to stop Bakayoko, Bailly should have react it quickly & he should have read the situation well without getting any shout. That's why I mentioned Vidic & Rio. These two don't need to shout, they know how to read the situation very well & that's why they are top defenders play in top level, this is not a sunday league level where you need to "shout" all the time.

How is leaving Bakayoko for free is a "basic"?? Smalling did the right thing to follow Bakayoko, otherwise Azpi would have passed the ball to Bakayoko instead. Jones was being out of position is the main problem here.

All 3 United

The distance between Bailly and Morata aren't far. You don't need a speed of light in order to move quickly in less than 1 metre distance. The moment Smalling left his position to stop Bakayoko, Bailly should have react it quickly & he should have read the situation well without getting any shout. That's why I mentioned Vidic & Rio. These two don't need to shout, they know how to read the situation very well & that's why they are top defenders.

How is leaving Bakayoko for free is a "basic"?? Smalling did the right thing to follow Bakayoko, otherwise Azpi would have passed the ball to Bakayoko instead. Jones was being out of position is the main problem here.
Sorry but I was always coached don’t leave your man in a dangerous position unless your 100% certain there is cover. Perhaps the telepathic link that vidic and Rio had needs to develop between the players but if I was Bailly I wouldn’t have expected Smalling to leave Morata for me to deal with in that situation.

Ekeke

Sorry but I was always coached don’t leave your man in a dangerous position unless your 100% certain there is cover. Perhaps the telepathic link that vidic and Rio had needs to develop between the players but if I was Bailly I wouldn’t have expected Smalling to leave Morata for me to deal with in that situation.
You arent a professional footballer.

All 3 United

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously. Has to make a decision and go to Baka who is running free in the box. Would be better asking what Valencia, Bailly and Matic are doing.
Had Smalling not have darted out the way he did I would have hoped that Matic would have at least attempted to track the run.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Cheers. Similar to my thoughts, just poor all round with a cascade of reactions that made it worse.
Yeh. It's a chain of fecked up.
If many United fans, plus our Manager, and Henry have suggested you are wrong, maybe you're just wrong?

Ekeke

Had Smalling not have darted out the way he did I would have hoped that Matic would have at least attempted to track the run.
Matic is a lot slower than Bailly and has a lot more ground to make up than Bailly has to get in position for the cross.

Ekeke

Jones was the one going to close down the cross (all be it poorly)Matic was the one jogging back toward his box and not tracking the run by bakayoko.
Matic was well out of position, he's never getting back there. Of course thats his mistake, but he's out of the game by the time Jones comes forward

Andersons Dietician

Jones was the one going to close down the cross (all be it poorly)Matic was the one jogging back toward his box and not tracking the run by bakayoko.
What’s that got to do with what you just said? You implied Matic would have gone with Baka had Smalling not moved. Matic is miles away from Baka and isn’t going to get anywhere near him. Not doing that means Smalling has to leave Morata to go to the immediate danger. It’s coaching 101. Valencia and Bailly are ball watching. The only one that does the correct thing is Smalling.

All 3 United

Yeh. It's a chain of fecked up.

If many United fans, plus our Manager, and Henry have suggested you are wrong, maybe you're just wrong?
I’ve not heard what Henry or Jose have said (couldn’t watch Conte celebrating). But no I am absolutely adamant that Smalling should not have left morata.

Mike09

If this is a sunday league football then that's correct don't leave your man in a dangerous position. But this is a professional football in a highest level.

This is not just about telepathic link that Vidic and Rio have done. People called it telepathic but it is more of "anticipation" or "read the situation well". They are a professional footballer in the best league in the world and playing in big clubs. They should know how to ready the situation well without even shouting. Someone in here mentioned what Henry said, and Henry basically mentioned the same thing as I did.

Litch

Can't blame him, just think it's a lottery if you don't score as in these big games, like the Spurs game Alli misses, we go up the other end and score.

Andersons Dietician

If this is a sunday league football then that's correct don't leave your man in a dangerous position. But this is a professional football in a highest level.

This is not just about telepathic link that Vidic and Rio have done. People called it telepathic but it is more of "anticipation" or "read the situation well". They are a professional footballer in the best league in the world and playing in big clubs. They should know how to ready the situation well without even shouting. Someone in here mentioned what Henry said, and Henry basically mentioned the same thing as I did.
To be honest even in Sunday league you wouldn’t be coached to do that bud. If there is danger and you’re the closest to it you have to go to it if there is cover for your man or not. Can’t just let a scenario like what happens today with Baka.

Mike09

To be honest even in Sunday league you wouldn’t be coached to do that bud. If there is danger and you’re the closest to it you have to go to it if there is cover for your man or not. Can’t just let a scenario like what happens today with Baka.
I am sure we have seen some defender in our sunday league who have no brain and always being out of position so many times because he's being forced to play as a defender. Which I thought it's better to teach a non brain defender like that to stick with your man in a dangerous position instead.

Grande

He said basically everyone other than Smalling should have done something different to what they did. Not in those words, but rather than singling out who did something wrong, Smalling was the only one he said did what he had to do. Jones out of position, Bailly needs to come across, Valencia needs to come across.
I think it’s even more (not enormous) mistakes made in the situation leading up to it. Everyone are too slow to shift to the left side as Chelsea switch play. Rashford should go over to close down Azpi, but he is too close to Lukaku and gambles on breaking the pass instead. Jones is originally pushing up probably to pick up Bakayoko, as all of Herrera, Valencia, Bailly and most importantly Matic ar to slow staring to move over. So Jones is caught between following Baka and pressing Azpi, neither of which he then manages. This is not a huge problem if Herrera and Valencia gets their asses in gear to pick up the blue shirts on our right, which would allow Bailly to turn his attention inward. He is torn between two targets, and should go for Morata if he sees the space unfolding for Bakayoko, but it will be dangerous either way. I’m not sure I agree Smalling should’nt all in all stay centrally as Young, De Gea, Matic and Jones will make it difficult for Baka to score, which is not his forte.

In the end, the main problem is that most of the Chelsea players are on the front foot in that part of the game, and most of our are on the back foot. Combined with a planned an well executed collective move involving Hazard and Bakayoko doing rehearsed roles, it looks individually worse than it is.

Conte got one over on Mou today, and I’m not shocked as the teams are even to begin with (particularly without Pogba), and you knew that Conte was going to go all-in after the Rome game. And that is, after all, his forte.

Ace of Spades

The goal was not down just to him, other players were involved as well.

The 3 at the back never looks comfortable for our CBs, the positioning is always an area where we struggle.

The only negative for him today was his habit of pulling on shirts,needs to cut that out as refs can easily punish him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maybe our best performer today.
Besides that he was bullied by morata all game, pulling shirts all the time risking penalty, being fault for the only goal... agree, he was smalling in his top form.
Ok, without sarcasm, he is our worst defender, i don't trust him, positioning awful, passing awful and can he one time, only one time stand in front of striker and take the ball! Every striker in league put himself in better position in front off smalling. He allows strikers to hold up ball . Even in penalty box. Every game, every time.

MadMike

The goal was not down just to him, other players were involved as well.

The 3 at the back never looks comfortable for our CBs, the positioning is always an area where we struggle.

The only negative for him today was his habit of pulling on shirts,needs to cut that out as refs can easily punish him.
Show me a CB that does not pull shirts and I'll show you a bad CB. Everyone is doing it because the referees let it happen. Thus it's the best thing to do if you're not certain you're getting to the ball first. Cahill did it on the other end to prevent Fellaini winning a header.

All 3 United

I have watched the goal again. The only reasonably easy ball Azpilacueta could have played to Bakayoko would have been around Jones and certainly on the deck. Had he played this then the whole defensive unit would have reacted to this, while bakayoko was taking a touch and trying to cut inside, we would have had plenty of time for all defenders to ‘react’ and shuffle across a man. So basically if Smalling doesn’t leave his man, it was one hell of a more difficult chance to create.

Andersons Dietician

I have watched the goal again. The only reasonably easy ball Azpilacueta could have played to Bakayoko would have been around Jones and certainly on the deck. Had he played this then the whole defensive unit would have reacted to this, while bakayoko was taking a touch and trying to cut inside, we would have had plenty of time for all defenders to ‘react’ and shuffle across a man. So basically if Smalling doesn’t leave his man, it was one hell of a more difficult chance to create.
Sorry but that’s nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.