Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

prtk0811

The difference is that your own seat belt is for your own safety. But this is football, football is a teamwork sport. Players need to know how to read the situation well.

It's difficult for you to do it. It's not difficult for me to do it and if I can do it it's not difficult for a top full back who can play as a wing back to do it as well especially when he was given so much space and time before he executed the ball. There was so much time for both Bailly and Valencia to react when Smalling left his spot

I have said this 3x, What's the point having 3 centre backs if one of them (Bailly) must not allowed to cover his teammate while Smalling did cover Jones/Matic? There are 3 dangerous players who were threat to the goals in that moment, Bakayoko, Morata & Alonso. Are you telling me it's okay to leave an unmarked player to make a run and have potential to score for free like Bakayoko?

Bakayoko was clearly went towards the goal, he was nowhere near Young. He would have been almost on the same line as Young if he went wide. Both Morata and Bakayoko was almost on the similar position like a mirror if you take the centre of the half circle of that penalty line.

Who said you can leave your striker free?? Of course you can't!!
This is why I said these professional footballer need to learn how to read the situation well. Use brain because they have it. You can't be like a robot who is functioned for one thing!! When there are players who can cover it for you which was supposed to be Bailly then he and before Smalling left his spot he did turn his head to check that Valencia was on Alonso, so it's Bailly job to realise that he has to take the action to mark Morata. Smalling left his spot to stop another threat which is Bakayoko.

Just pictures? You are clearly didn't click the link or didn't read my post mate. https://imgtc.com/w/XGnO97p I said it's a clip mate, a clip means a video! And it's so much better quality than the one you posted.

And if you freeze at 2:41, Smalling did turn his head to check if there were enough cover (Which I have provided on my previous picture's post in 2nd picture). At that time before Smalling left his spot, Valencia was still following Alonso & Bailly marked no one. And you are telling me they were Smalling mistake that Jones was being out of position, Valencia stopped following Alonso and Bailly couldn't read the situation well?
You can't blame Jones Bailly and valencia for the goal conceeded from the middle of the goal on a free header, strikers are there to score goals and the ball was always going to be delivered to the striker like Chelsea had did before many many times this season. Bakayoko was a false distraction and proved to be one who dragged the main cb out of position with his run while Bailly's front was facing moratas back and would no way have stopped the morata header with the ball commming from opposite side.

The principles of defending is totally wrong from smalling. Opposition players make these false runs all the time to distracted and confuse the defenders and he got confused.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
In zonal defending the penalty spot should always be defended.

Mike09

You can't blame Jones Bailly and valencia for the goal conceeded from the middle of the goal on a free header, strikers are there to score goals and the ball was always going to be delivered to the striker like Chelsea had did before many many times this season. Bakayoko was a false distraction and proved to be one who dragged the main cb out of position with his run while Bailly's front was facing moratas back and would no way have stopped the morata header with the ball commming from opposite side.

The principles of defending is totally wrong from smalling. Opposition players make these false runs all the time to distracted and confuse the defenders and he got confused.
So let me ask you some questions.

Why can't we blame Jones for being out of position? It's not like Smalling was the reason Jones being out of position.

Why can't we blame Valencia for not dropping back and mark his man? A right wingback should be keeping an eye on the opposition left wingback.

Why can't we blame on Bailly for failing to read the situation? If Smalling didn't leave his spot then who's going to mark Bakayoko?

Haven't you heard that players can cover the other player's role?

You only said Bakayoko was a false distraction because the one who scored was Morata.
But what makes you think it's not possible for Azpi to make a pass to Bakayoko when Bakayoko made a good run towards to our penalty box and not going wide at all?
It's not just a false distraction if it has potential threat mate.

Last edited:

prtk0811

So let me ask you some question.

Why can't we blame Jones for being out of position? It's not like Smalling was the reason Jones being out of position.

Why can't we blame Valencia for not dropping back and mark his man? A right wingback should be keeping an eye on the opposition left wingback.

Why can't we blame on Bailly for failing to read the situation? If Smalling didn't leave his spot then who's going to mark Bakayoko.

You only said Bakayoko was a false distraction because the one who scored was Morata but what makes you think it's not possible for Azpi to make a pass to Bakayoko when Bakayoko made a good run towards to our penalty box and not going wide at all?
You should really study the city victory over Chelsea at the bridge to understand these tactics of players dragging the players wide and out of position.

Jones was caught out of position because o the quick switch of play by Chelsea , they moved the ball and made intelligent runs, gotta give credit where it's due.

Mike09

You should really study the city victory over Chelsea at the bridge to understand these tactics of players dragging the players wide and out of position.

Jones was caught out of position because o the quick switch of play by Chelsea , they moved the ball and made intelligent runs, gotta give credit where it's due.
You should answer the questions that I asked before telling me to study. Answer one question out of four isn't going to help you to continue the discussion. You are just avoiding them because it was clear their fault.

And the one question that you answered basically pretty much you are admitting that it was Jones's fault for being caught out of position not Smalling's fault. Bakayako clearly saw a huge free space of spot that Jones left and made a run towards it. It won't happened if Jones didn't leave his spot from the first place.

prtk0811

You should answer the questions that I asked before telling me to study. Answer one question out of four isn't going to help you to continue the discussion. You are just avoiding them because it was clear their fault.

And the one question that you answered basically pretty much you are admitting that it was Jones's fault for being caught out of position not Smalling's fault. Bakayako clearly saw a huge free space of spot that Jones left and made a run towards it. It won't happened if Jones didn't leave his spot from the first place.
And surprise surprise the ball came to morata and not Bakayoko. Smalling got dragged even before the ball was played.

deafepl

Jones is the reason why we lost, he was falling back and allowed Azpi enough space to pick his pass. And if he goes at Azpi so Azpi would find it harder to pick his pass

MoneyMay

Smalling is the least culpable of the lot. Bakayoko's run - whether it was a false distraction or not - would have been followed by every pro defender. Watch the goal again. Jones is out of position and doesn't step out to pressure Azpilicueta (see videos below) nor does he drop back and follow Bakayoko's run, he's 50/50. Rashford could have stayed on his feet which would have allowed him to follow Azpilicueta; Matic could have tracked Bakayoko; Bailly should probably follow Morata after Smalling leaves him to cover for Jones; and God knows what Valencia was doing by letting [Irrelevant point] run into the box like that. There are too many errors in Morata's goal for anyone to be blaming one player, it's just terrible defending overall.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I initially thought that Jones was in the wrong however, the manager's comments after the game changed my mind. He said that they specifically prepared for the Azpi-Morata move that Chelsea love doing.

I think the goal was a result of a lack of co-ordination in the back line. Jones tries to pretend pressure Azpi, while Smalling covers the run of Bakoyoko. The CBs are trying to deal with different problems rather than working together.

I think that goal would have been prevented if Jones and Smalling had decided between them either during the game or at half time what they were going to do in that situation., because it wasnt the first time Bakoyko went marauding into our box. But it felt like they were acting independently.

Kag

It's unbelievable how micro-analytical we are today. Too many arseholes on tele looking to pick fault and fans lap it up.

We conceded one goal yesterday. It's not the issue at all. Be it Jones or Smalling, sometimes players lose their man and the opposition score. It happens.

The glaring issue is that we don't score goals. As this is the case, as soon as we went 1-0 yesterday the game was practically over. At very best, we'd have pulled back a scrappy goal for a 1-1 draw.

If and when Mourinho can encourage and coach this side to score more than one goal a game (particularly in bigger games) the more successful we will be.

City conceded once yesterday. It didn't matter because they scored three. Goals win games, ultimately.

acnumber9

When are people going to realise that Chris Smalling is to blame for everything from North Korea to Jean van de Velde losing the Open?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You slide across but you do it in anticipation when you see there's a huge gap as Jones has pushed up, and the others then have time to move across. You don't wait wait wait and then run across and leave your man just as the ball is played in. Bailly had no time to react at all.
Yeh. They need to put a rope connecting all back five, so they don't need to use their eyes and brain on when the other would slide cross.

Mike09

And surprise surprise the ball came to morata and not Bakayoko. Smalling got dragged even before the ball was played.
Still waiting for the answer of my other 3 questions. You know you can't blame Smalling to answer my questions and that's why you are keep ignoring them.

Andersons Dietician

Still waiting for the answer of my other 3 questions. You know you can't blame Smalling to answer my questions and that's why you are keep ignoring them.
I’m not sure why you’re bothering. I’m with you. I think what those two guys are saying is absolutely ridiculous and they’d be laughed out of any team.
Heck if Smalling stays with Morata the Aspa slips it in to Baka and vice versa. Smalling was in a no win situation and to me made the correct choice as Baka was the main danger as Bailly isn’t marking anyone and should have been moving across. These people claiming he ha no it to react, just laughable.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
I’m not sure why you’re bothering. I’m with you. I think what those two guys are saying is absolutely ridiculous and they’d be laughed out of any team.
Heck if Smalling stays with Morata the Aspa slips it in to Baka and vice versa. Smalling was in a no win situation and to me made the correct choice as Baka was the main danger as Bailly isn’t marking anyone and should have been moving across. These people claiming he ha no it to react, just laughable.
The main problem is that the most dangerous zone on the pitch wasn't covered.

arnie_ni

The main problem is that the most dangerous zone on the pitch wasn't covered.
Both players were in the zone. Smalling had to follow baka who on another day would have had a hat trick.

In reality matic didn't track back at all in this game to cover him leaving him free.

Ashley R1+O

It was definitely not Valencia or Bailly's fault. What should have happened was Smalling read the play and moved over in advance, giving Bailly and Valencia time to readjust. Before that Jones should not have had to push up to block the pass as Matic should have been there.
I didn't say it was, the entire defense is culpable as a unit because they (should) play as a unit. If you've ever played as a defender you know that once your partners move you need to cover and keep the line. These things happen, I'd expect Bailly to learn from something like this. Valencia is a winger who is notorious for ball watching so you take what you can get with him at WB/FB.

one of that happened and Smalling just completely read it wrong as he often does and didn't move over until it was too late
Don't really agree, but no point arguing about it. The boys will review the footage and hopefully learn from their mistake(s).

AP88

Supports
Man City
There is no responsibity on Smalling’s shoulders for that goal at all - firstly Jones went AWOL, leaving a huge gap which Bakayoko exploited. Smalling filled it and neutralised the threat of Bakayoko, so the obligation is then on Bailly, with the capacity to see right across the line, to cover Smalling’s commitment and move onto Morata - he didn’t.

Jones was the biggest issue in compromising the defensive unit, but then second in line for a bollocking is fanboy favourite Bailly, yet unsurprisingly it’s Smalling who’s at fault, despite being the only one showcasing any kind of defensive intelligence during that phase of play.

The other two were clowns, yet Chris gets ridiculed because it’s a default reaction for those without the capacity to truly analyse what’s actually happening on the pitch. He’s been the most consistent defender since late last season.

Aza Boy

Jones was stand too far. He was like DM. Bakayoko should be chased by one of CM/DM. But since Matic actively attacked due to the shit not want to defend Mkhirtayan, he was too late to get back.

And why Ashley Young was running to the left back flank rather than trying to handle Azplicuetta in the first time was beyond me.

Plus, Mike Smalling should close the gap of Morata rather than trying to close Hazard.

Overall, bad bad coordination om that goal.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
There was pretty much identical situation yesterday around half time when Jones came up to block Azpilicueta's cross and he played through ball for a player (I don't know who it was) who followed exact same path as Bakayoko yesterday during the goal, and Smalling did the same as he did for the goal and made a block for a clear goalscoring opportunity. Someone not lazy should find it.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Both players were in the zone. Smalling had to follow baka who on another day would have had a hat trick.

In reality matic didn't track back at all in this game to cover him leaving him free.
I think Man Utd played with Bailly on the right and Smalling at the center, so it was Smalling that left his area (the most important one) unprotected.

The flanks really aren't as dangerous as the center so when you're caught in three vs two with one flank exposed, it's better to just fall back than move to cover the unexposed flank. If Bailly had left his flank then Valencia would've had to move in to cover Bailly's area as well and it's difficult to get that much coordinated movement done quickly enough to not mess it up.

Ekeke

I think Man Utd played with Bailly on the right and Smalling at the center, so it was Smalling that left his area (the most important one) unprotected.

The flanks really aren't as dangerous as the center so when you're caught in three vs two with one flank exposed, it's better to just fall back than move to cover the unexposed flank. If Bailly had left his flank then Valencia would've had to move in to cover Bailly's area as well and it's difficult to get that much coordinated movement done quickly enough to not mess it up.
Professional football doesnt work like that. We played a system, one which our players failed to carry out during this one example and it cost us a goal. You might say our players dont understand it to the best of their ability, likewise you dont understand it at all. And thats kinda understandable, the back 3 and wingbacks is a relatively new thing over the last couple of years at United. The problem is not that you don't understand how it works, its that you assume you do know how it works without doing any research or listening to professionals.

If it were as easy as you're suggesting, whereby a fan who does no research and isnt taught how the system works, can understand it perfectly then our team who are actively coached on how it works would surely never make a mistake right? Well, they did. I guess it takes more than posting on the internet and doing no research, to perfectly understand and execute a back 3 with wingbacks.

iportman

There is no responsibity on Smalling’s shoulders for that goal at all - firstly Jones went AWOL, leaving a huge gap which Bakayoko exploited. Smalling filled it and neutralised the threat of Bakayoko, so the obligation is then on Bailly, with the capacity to see right across the line, to cover Smalling’s commitment and move onto Morata - he didn’t.

Jones was the biggest issue in compromising the defensive unit, but then second in line for a bollocking is fanboy favourite Bailly, yet unsurprisingly it’s Smalling who’s at fault, despite being the only one showcasing any kind of defensive intelligence during that phase of play.

The other two were clowns, yet Chris gets ridiculed because it’s a default reaction for those without the capacity to truly analyse what’s actually happening on the pitch. He’s been the most consistent defender since late last season.
he’s been the most consistent defender since late last season.[/QUOTE]:rolleyes:

he is like a donkey who has just been introduced to ice skating in most games i have seen , how this club has lowered its standards to the level that smalling is one of our centre backs is mind boggling .

Bwuk

he’s been the most consistent defender since late last season.
:rolleyes:

he is like a donkey who has just been introduced to ice skating in most games i have seen , how this club has lowered its standards to the level that smalling is one of our centre backs is mind boggling .[/QUOTE]

It's not just Smalling.

Our last truely great side we had Rio and Vidic at CB. Can you see any of Jones, Smalling, Lindelof, Rojo or Bailly ever reachin there level? Bailly maybe but the others no chance.

The club has lowered it's standards. Smalling and Jones etc should be squad players at best.

MadMike

When a defender gets caught out of position or gets dribbled etc.. the defenders are supposed to “shift” or “come across” to always ensure the opponents in the central area with a sight of goal are being marked. Defending 101, coached at every level. Bakayoko is in the box, which is basically the definition of the central area.

Initial mistake was by Jones who was neither holding the line nor closing down Azpilicueta but was more like ball watching. Smalling’s decision looks bad with hindsight, but he did what every defender is taught to do. If Bailly had also shifted, it might have looked better.

Though in fairness it was a great delivery and a fantastic header. I also don’t think Bailly would win that off Morata given the height differential, though he might have put him off a bit and made him miss or generate less power.

Again, I don’t think we lost that game due to the defence. Midfield and attack looked really disjointed and struggled to keep possession, generate chances and even track runners from midfield as Baka got in many dangerous positions with Matic and Herrera nowhere near.

When a defender gets caught out of position or gets dribbled etc.. the defenders are supposed to “shift” or “come across” to always ensure the opponents in the central area with a sight of goal are being marked. Defending 101, coached at every level. Bakayoko is in the box, which is basically the definition of the central area.

Initial mistake was by Jones who was neither holding the line nor closing down Azpilicueta but was more like ball watching. Smalling’s decision looks bad with hindsight, but he did what every defender is taught to do. If Bailly had also shifted, it might have looked better.

Though in fairness it was a great delivery and a fantastic header. I also don’t think Bailly would win that off Morata given the height differential, though he might have put him off a bit and made him miss or generate less power.

Again, I don’t think we lost that game due to the defence. Midfield and attack looked really disjointed and struggled to keep possession, generate chances and even track runners from midfield as Baka got in many dangerous positions with Matic and Herrera nowhere near.
Smalling did the right thing he just did it far too late to allow the others to readjust. He never seems to read things in advance, hes always playing on the back foot. He did the same against Spurs with Alli's chance.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Our last truely great side we had Rio and Vidic at CB. Can you see any of Jones, Smalling, Lindelof, Rojo or Bailly ever reachin there level? Bailly maybe but the others no chance.

The club has lowered it's standards
. Smalling and Jones etc should be squad players at best.
Has it?

Which central defenders who are both attainable and who are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Ferdinand and Vidic should the club be getting?

el3mel

:rolleyes:

he is like a donkey who has just been introduced to ice skating in most games i have seen , how this club has lowered its standards to the level that smalling is one of our centre backs is mind boggling .
It's not just Smalling.

The club has lowered it's standards. Smalling and Jones etc should be squad players at best.[/QUOTE]

Strange to say that considering both we there during SAF years and I'm pretty sure he would have been still using them if he remained in the club further more years.

They're good defenders. They're not our problems at all.

Bwuk

Has it?

Which central defenders who are both attainable and who are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Ferdinand and Vidic should the club be getting?
I don't know. Not my job to scout players, but I refuse to believe in the 4 years since Ferguson left there hasn't been a single better defender available than Smalling/Jones. We signed Bailly, no-one on here had heard of him and he instantly improved us. Bonucci moved in the summer?

Bwuk

Strange to say that considering both we there during SAF years and I'm pretty sure he would have been still using them if he remained in the club further more years.

They're good defenders. They're not our problems at all.
Neither Smalling nor Jones were first choice under Ferguson. Vidic and Ferdinand were.

el3mel

Neither Smalling nor Jones were first choice under Ferguson. Vidic and Ferdinand were.
I'm willing to bet every penny in my pocket that if SAF had remained further more years after both retired, Jones and Smalling would have been our main CB pairing with Evans as a sub and we would be still winning the league.

Oldyella

I'm willing to bet every penny in my pocket that if SAF had remained further more years after both retired, Jones and Smalling would have been our main CB pairing with Evans as a sub and we would be still winning the league.
Yup, me too. They were already starting to get games as Rio and Vidic aged and needed rest or picked up knocks.

And as for them being squad players at best, surely they are the definition of squad players. Everyone assumes our first choice will be Bailly and Rojo, just one isnt fit and the other has had his own injury troubles, and Mourinho seems to have developed a taste for 3 5 2 leading to them getting more games, due to the replacement signing looking like a deer in headlights.

People used to give Smalling abuse for injury problems, now hes getting it for managing to stay fit while the other CBs come in and out.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't know. Not my job to scout players, but I refuse to believe in the 4 years since Ferguson left there hasn't been a single better defender available than Smalling/Jones. We signed Bailly, no-one on here had heard of him and he instantly improved us. Bonucci moved in the summer?
As far as I'm aware, Bonucci wasn't willing to leave Italy, and would only leave for Milan, for whatever reason. Otherwise, yes, he'd have been the best possible acquisition.

Jones was considered a very good signing when we got him. He was being praised left and right at Blackburn. The injuries are a shame, but based on talent alone and the attention surrounding him, it was a very good signing. Smalling less so, as he didn't look like much at Fulham, but overall, he's done well here. We signed Rojo, a full international and World Cup finalist, he's been very good for us as long as he doesn't play at left back. Bailly was unknown but had a great season at Villarreal, and Lindelof, whilst being awful here so far, he was considered a very good prospect with more big clubs than United looking at him. The scouting and signings are there, and the jury is still out on some of them.

Point is, it's easy to throw "Rio and Vidic" in to every bit of criticism aimed at a defender, but there just aren't that many top centre backs around. The ones that are around are pretty much completely unattainable, no matter how big the buying club is. As maligned as our centre backs are, we still have the best defence in the league and one of the best in Europe's top flights and the Champions League.

Marcus

I hate Smalling in possession at the back. It is so obvious to attackers closing him down where his next pass will be. He absolutely telegraphs it. Then the player receiving his obvious pass will immediately be under pressure and has a high chance of making mistakes. He is good enough for his defensive qualities.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Professional football doesnt work like that. We played a system, one which our players failed to carry out during this one example and it cost us a goal. You might say our players dont understand it to the best of their ability, likewise you dont understand it at all. And thats kinda understandable, the back 3 and wingbacks is a relatively new thing over the last couple of years at United. The problem is not that you don't understand how it works, its that you assume you do know how it works without doing any research or listening to professionals.

If it were as easy as you're suggesting, whereby a fan who does no research and isnt taught how the system works, can understand it perfectly then our team who are actively coached on how it works would surely never make a mistake right? Well, they did. I guess it takes more than posting on the internet and doing no research, to perfectly understand and execute a back 3 with wingbacks.
Most (?) goals are scored from the area around the penalty spot so it's good to defend it. Bakayoko is not going towards that area, he's actually running towards the flank. But regardless of where he's going it's basics to drop off when outnumbered which is the case here with three Chelsea players against two center backs so Smalling should just follow Morata and wait for the cross, or in the case of a through ball to Bakayoko cut off the way to Morata and force a shot at the near post. In my humble opinion.

Ekeke

Most (?) goals are scored from the area around the penalty spot so it's good to defend it. Bakayoko is not going towards that area, he's actually running towards the flank. But regardless of where he's going it's basics to drop off when outnumbered which is the case here with three Chelsea players against two center backs so Smalling should just follow Morata and wait for the cross, or in the case of a through ball to Bakayoko cut off the way to Morata and force a shot at the near post. In my humble opinion.
We had a system to defend the box yes, that system involves 3 CBs working together. If 1 moves, another covers the space they leave behind. Its part of being a team rather than 1 single player. It is not Chris Smallings job to defend the penalty spot no matter whats happening in the match, just like its not Lukaku's job to be standing on the penalty spot no matter whats happening in the match and its not Matic's job to stand on the half way line no matter whats happening in the match. If football was quite as simple as that, managers would be hired from preschool and you'd have a shot at the job yourself.

Dobbs

You're willing to bet every penny you have on a bet that can't be made. Not the boldest statement I've read on here.

All hypothetical but I disagree. As with Wes Brown I think eventually Fergie would have seen the light and bought in better.

Like Brown Smalling just hasn't quite kicked on as we all expected. Still a good defender though.

Guys this micro analysis of one goal is nuts. The pundits who trigger these debates also conceded goals on a regular basis rememer.

el3mel

You're willing to bet every penny you have on a bet that can't be made. Not the boldest statement I've read on here.

All hypothetical but I disagree. As with Wes Brown I think eventually Fergie would have seen the light and bought in better.

Like Brown Smalling just hasn't quite kicked on as we all expected. Still a good defender though.

Guys this micro analysis of one goal is nuts. The pundits who trigger these debates also conceded goals on a regular basis rememer.
Up to everyone but I'm pretty sure he was planning for both to be our main starters after Rio and Vidic.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
We had a system to defend the box yes, that system involves 3 CBs working together. If 1 moves, another covers the space they leave behind. Its part of being a team rather than 1 single player. It is not Chris Smallings job to defend the penalty spot no matter whats happening in the match, just like its not Lukaku's job to be standing on the penalty spot no matter whats happening in the match and its not Matic's job to stand on the half way line no matter whats happening in the match. If football was quite as simple as that, managers would be hired from preschool and you'd have a shot at the job yourself.
Like I already said. It is a three versus two situation. No matter what system you have in place you should always fall back and force away a shot at the near post. Everybody falls back when outnumbered.

Status
Not open for further replies.