Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshay

Staff
Pretty certain that isn’t in the job description.

Smalling is our best defender for me, and I probably don’t express enough on here how genuinely baffled I am at the growing theses that he is apparently no good and should be sold.

My only explanation for it is the growing obsession for defenders to be #10sbin their spare time. While I can’t deny that Smalling is average on the ball, he’s fecking good at defending.

Lukaku is average on the ball, but is still effective at his job, and gets praised. This is just because his contribution is far more easily quantifiable than Smalling’s.
Huge difference between Smalling's 'average' on the ball and Lukaku's 'average' on the ball though. Lukaku's ball control is average for a top striker, Smalling's is average for a PL centre half. That said, I've got little criticism of Smalling's performance vs Newcastle, he was very good.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Huge difference between Smalling's 'average' on the ball and Lukaku's 'average' on the ball though. Lukaku's ball control is average for a top striker, Smalling's is average for a PL centre half. That said, I've got little criticism of Smalling's performance vs Newcastle, he was very good.
I don’t see a huge amount of difference between Lukaku and Smalling on the ball, honestly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don’t see a huge amount of difference between Lukaku and Smalling on the ball, honestly.
Yeah, remember the time when Smalling dribbled past a player, played one two with Mata or someother player and smashed the ball into the goal? Yeah good times.

I can't work out if it's simply an agenda, or a lack of ability to understand football
Yes, we must bow to your impartiality and footballing knowledge. Nothing to do with Smalling not being as good as some of our fans think, as partly evidenced by him being dropped from the England team and often our own team when other defenders are fit.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yes, we must bow to your impartiality and footballing knowledge. Nothing to do with Smalling not being as good as some of our fans think, as partly evidenced by him being dropped from the England team and often our own team when other defenders are fit.
There's no shame in being dropped by a coach of a national team of perennial underachievers and bottlers. Jose started the season with Jones and Bailly as his first choice CBs but who do you think he deems most reliable now? When was the last time Jones and Bailly played together in a back two even when both were fit? Smalling has played with them both in a back three a few times. Smalling has been the common denominator appearance wise in the defense for the last 10 or so matches while Bailly, Jones and Lindelof have drifted in and out. Jones has even started on the bench a few times but I guess you can put that down to him not being 'match fit' even though Mourinho thinks players don't have to always be 100% to start games. Explain that.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Chris should score more goals. He's got very good to excellent aerial ball tracking abilities. Oh well I guess that's why he's a defender but damn I see wasted potential.

SteveW

Defends really well, scores a good goal and somehow manages to get criticised on redcafe. Wish people would just feck off with their agendas

prath92

Smalling has been good this season. He defends well. Doesn’t lose possession. He looks awkward with the ball but he an protect the ball. I think he is a bit slower than before? For some reason I get that feeling.

There's no shame in being dropped by a coach of a national team of perennial underachievers and bottlers. Jose started the season with Jones and Bailly as his first choice CBs but who do you think he deems most reliable now? When was the last time Jones and Bailly played together in a back two even when both were fit? Smalling has played with them both in a back three a few times. Smalling has been the common denominator appearance wise in the defense for the last 10 or so matches while Bailly, Jones and Lindelof have drifted in and out. Jones has even started on the bench a few times but I guess you can put that down to him not being 'match fit' even though Mourinho thinks players don't have to always be 100% to start games. Explain that.
Jones and Bailly have barely been fully fit together during that period. When Rojo gets back i expect him to take the LCB position.

RCB:
Bailly
Lindelof (if he gets his act together)
Smalling

LCB:
Rojo
Jones
Smalling

Unless we really do go 352 its hard to see him playing much at all if everyone is fully fit, although when does that ever happen.

Paul_Scholes18

He has had a very good season. Nice to see him getting a goal. Will be difficult to select central defenders now with Rojo back. Maybe we can see Rojo playing left back a bit more though if he improves his attacking qualities in that position.

Rossa

Smalling has been good this season. He defends well. Doesn’t lose possession. He looks awkward with the ball but he an protect the ball. I think he is a bit slower than before? For some reason I get that feeling.
Spot on. He looks awkward, but he very rarely loses possession and actually has a pretty decent first touch.

Concerning speed, for the first goal I was startled as well, but then I saw it was Yedlin who came running at full pelt whereas Smalling had to accelerate. He still got close. Then he was able to use his speed to get close to their attacker and get him off balance. Also a quick player whom he actually outpaced.

I think he positions himself well so that he doesn’t have to run at full speed as often.

Loublaze

ATLien
Jones and Bailly have barely been fully fit together during that period. When Rojo gets back i expect him to take the LCB position.

RCB:
Bailly
Lindelof (if he gets his act together)
Smalling

LCB:
Rojo
Jones
Smalling

Unless we really do go 352 its hard to see him playing much at all if everyone is fully fit, although when does that ever happen.
Im pretty confident that when we come back to this discussion at the end of the season it will be Smalling who will have accrued the most minutes among our CBs

Im pretty confident that when we come back to this discussion at the end of the season it will be Smalling who will have accrued the most minutes among our CBs
Well that's hardly unlikely. Jones is always injured, Rojo will have missed half the season, Lindelof is settling in and Bailly seems to be picking up injuries too. All Smalling has to do is stay fit, it doesn't mean he's our best defender.

Loublaze

ATLien
Well that's hardly unlikely. Jones is always injured, Rojo will have missed half the season, Lindelof is settling in and Bailly seems to be picking up injuries too. All Smalling has to do is stay fit, it doesn't mean he's our best defender.
You don't necessarily have to be the 'best' to be more valuable to your team. Staying fit is all that matters in defense. Players like Jones with terrible fitness records should be moved on really or shouldn't be first choice starters. Defense is one area where you want stability and reliability more than any other, this is why United had to buy Vidic to make up for Wes Brown and Silvestre's continued absences because of injury, though I bet you can counter that by saying Silvestre was poor since that's the popular opinion. As far as who's better, there's not much between Jones and Smalling. Jones has better technique and distribution, thats it. Smalling is better at aerial duels is more of a out and out defender. They can both handle anything thrown at them on their day. Jones has never managed 25 league games in one season, or more than 35 in all comps. Smalling managed over 50 in LVGs last season. Their overall appearance records for United says it all. Shoehorning Jones is just going to end in disappointment because IMO he'll never live up to his hype. The boy has been plagued by fitness issues since he joined United at 19, what makes anyone thinks that will suddenly change? He's still 25, but in a few years time he'll be a spent force if nothing changes, and fitness issues only get worse with age for injury prone players. Look at Bale

BenjaminP

Smalling can be our Wes Brown from fergie era.
Never starting material, but whenever needed, he was there to jump in.

Loublaze

ATLien
Smalling can be our Wes Brown from fergie era.
Never starting material, but whenever needed, he was there to jump in.
The only thing that held Brown back from being first choice alongside Rio was his fitness issues. So really it should be Jones who you consider our new Brown. Evans was similar. Lots of hype, hopes and dreams but alas his fitness record was just too poor

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm not his biggest fan but I enjoyed him throwing Southgate shade.
This is a multiple title-winning defender Southgate made look like a non-league footballer.

Foxbatt

Smalling was the best defender in the PL at one stage under LVG. Then he got injured and he lost his form and have not recovered it. I think he tries too hard. He is too nervous. He needs to calm down and take a deep breath and relax and it would come to him naturally. His ball control is not bad for a defender. He needs to use his brain a bit more and stop holding players. He does bring the ball out of defence but then holds on it too long to make up his mind and then it is too late and he has to play it back or hoof it forward.
That said he is a better defender than Cahill. And Stones is going to get found out in the WC anyway.

Laurentiu amt

I'm not his biggest fan but I enjoyed him throwing Southgate shade.
This is a multiple title-winning defender Southgate made look like a non-league footballer.
+1, I like people that actually defend themselves these days.

tomaldinho1

I think most football fans agree Smalling isn't exactly the ball playing CB that seems so in vogue these days - Southgate is trying to adopt a certain tactic for England and Smalling doesn't really fit the bill. There's not really a story there.

England will play exactly as they have always done at tournaments and lack any penetration (whilst racking up pointless passes along the back four I might add) and Southgate can say he tried to play attacking entertaining football when we bow out with a whimper in the first knock out game.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think most football fans agree Smalling isn't exactly the ball playing CB that seems so in vogue these days - Southgate is trying to adopt a certain tactic for England and Smalling doesn't really fit the bill. There's not really a story there.
Yes but not at the cost of quality. If someone can play out from the back but who is not as good a defender as Smalling is then you are stupid to not play Smalling because defending in the main goal for a CB. Not I am not comparing Rio and Smalling but think about this situation if both Rio and Evans played for England, it'll be akin to playing Evans ahead of Rio.

RedDevil@84

The only problem is Southgate's other options are not much better than Smalling in defense and "ball playing CB". So it doesn't make sense that he calls out Smalling.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Is England still playing most boring possession based zombie, most boring football ever? No wonder they don't want him, just few players in the world can play at that level England players play.

Btw, he is easily our most reliable defender this year, and was that for decent amount of last season too. I'll never understand why is he criticised so much, especially on social media/facebook from fans who don't even watch games, so there needs to be some correlation with those fans and some folks here.

Smalling is a liability. Him and Jones are like the fecking chuckle brothers

United will never get back to the top with Smalling at the back.

He's got a cheek saying he's won the league twice. He was not a first choice centre back during those campaigns, back the he was cover and got some games at right back.

Absolute joke.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
So, in summary.
Smalling is not as good as some of our supporters seem to think.
Smalling is not as bad as some of our supporters seem to think.
Gareth Southgate is a tool.

tomaldinho1

Yes but not at the cost of quality. If someone can play out from the back but who is not as good a defender as Smalling is then you are stupid to not play Smalling because defending in the main goal for a CB. Not I am not comparing Rio and Smalling but think about this situation if both Rio and Evans played for England, it'll be akin to playing Evans ahead of Rio.
But Rio was a better defender and way better on the ball than Evans?

MAME DIOUF 32

I like his words there. Usually footballers just come up with some meaningless drivel about hard work and making it difficult for a manager not to pick him, whereas Smalling mounted a good defence of his record.

I don't think he's as bad on the ball as he looks, if you get what I mean. His height and posture make him look awkward.

So long as he's never, ever played at right back and the Smallingbauer experiment is never repeated I'm happy for him to be here.

tomaldinho1

Smalling is a liability. Him and Jones are like the fecking chuckle brothers

United will never get back to the top with Smalling at the back.

He's got a cheek saying he's won the league twice. He was not a first choice centre back during those campaigns, back the he was cover and got some games at right back.

Absolute joke.
When trolling, if you disguise it even slightly you'll get a lot further.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not trolling.

Name one top team that would want smalling in their team?
What do you mean by top team? If you are talking about top 6 teams in England then he is already playing for one, then Arsenal wanted him and reported by few big papers. He is better than clowns like Lovren who starts every game for Liverpool.

Darkhorsez

Is England still playing most boring possession based zombie, most boring football ever? No wonder they don't want him, just few players in the world can play at that level England players play.

Btw, he is easily our most reliable defender this year, and was that for decent amount of last season too. I'll never understand why is he criticised so much, especially on social media/facebook from fans who don't even watch games, so there needs to be some correlation with those fans and some folks here.
Agree with this. Smalling is no Maldini or Rio and has limitations but he also possesses a lot qualities expected of a top defender. Southgate has really messed up. Most successful leaders think dynamically and adopt strategies and tactics that fit best with certain situations or needs. They don’t limit themselves to a single option or approach. Southgate will come to rue those comments when we kick off in Russia. There was absolutely no need for him to elaborate to the extent he did and shows poor leadership skills.

haram

Agree with this. Smalling is no Maldini or Rio and has limitations but he also possesses a lot qualities expected of a top defender. Southgate has really messed up. Most successful leaders think dynamically and adopt strategies and tactics that fit best with certain situations or needs. They don’t limit themselves to a single option or approach. Southgate will come to rue those comments when we kick off in Russia. There was absolutely no need for him to elaborate to the extent he did and shows poor leadership skills.
Smalling would have been just fine in a back 3. Why do you need all three to be 'ball players'?

Status
Not open for further replies.