Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

1 : Mata gives the ball away, Lindelof is turned inside out and lets his man shoot. Smalling? Doesnt do a lot wrong, he's tracking his man at the back. If he was the best defender in the world he might have reacted after the saved Ince shot and launched himself in the way of the second shot and blocked or headed it clear but I'm not sure any current CB around the world would have got it right 10 times out of 10 and stopped the shot.

2: Lindelof can't defend a high launched ball from the keeper, a bad header back to his own keeper leads to a great chance. Smalling? Tries his best to get back and block the shot on the line but just cant make it. Nothing he can really do here, other than perhaps being in charge of dealing with every high ball and doing 2 CB jobs at once.

3 : Smalling tracks the run from midfield because for some reason Jones has planted himself yet allowed a great cross to come in. Ashley Young hasnt gone back to his box to help defend so Smalling has covered a large amount of space to make up for the defenders on this side being out of position. Bailly hasn't reacted to the shift in team shape and come across to help out. Neither has Valencia. This is a cock up from the entire defence and the closest to doing the right thing is Chris Smalling.

4 : Ashley Young pushes up to pressure the man on the ball and a fast double team movement takes both he and Matic out of the game. Smalling tries to cover, puts some pressure on the winger so he cant get a quality ball in. Perhaps he could have managed a block, perhaps not. But the ball in was poor and Lindelof slips over when it would have been easy to deal with otherwise. Easy finish and not much any of the other defenders can do after he does that.

5 : The Rojo Special - Gets turned and then dives in with little chance to win the ball and catches the player. Got away with a bunch of these last season, this time its punished. Smalling is not a surgeon and won't be performing any brain transplants in his lifetime so there's nothing he could do here.

6 : Pogba and Ander are 5-10 yards apart leaving plenty of space in the middle and on the other side. Lingard is closest to the player who ends up having the chance and hasnt tracked him properly which could have made up for the midfield mistake. Smalling and Rojo are close to each other at the start, but an attacker makes moves further from Smalling so he puts himself in a position to deal with any crosses towards him. Meanwhile Rojo doesnt at any point look and notice this and in fact moves towards the player that Ander has tracked back to cover. Theres absolutely no need for Rojo to have moved and in fact the final chance falls to the player about 5 yards behind where Rojo started. So if he had just moved slightly back with the play as the attack progressed instead of running down towards the player already tracked then he'd have been in the perfect position to easily cut out the cross.

At most we could say that once Rojo moves when he doesnt need to, Smalling could possibly have seen that and stopped tracking his man and moved closer to Rojo and not leave as much space undefended. That would have put Smalling in a good position to pressure and perhaps block the shot if lucky. At the same time that would have left the players at the back post unmarked for the cross because even though we have 2 other players towards the back, meaning we have 3 vs 2 there - only Smalling moves in a way that would see him beat his man to the ball.

Valencia and Lindelof may possibly have done more to cover if Smalling had moved over to cover the space Rojo left behind without a reason. We'll never know if thats the case, but we can see they dont look convincing in where they place themselves when the cross comes in. So again if Chris Smalling was the best CB in the world he might have moved to cover Rojo's error and possibly distracted or blocked the shot, which is more like he did in the previous Chelsea example.

Again its a defence-wide lack of coordination and Smalling does the best defensive work of the backline, but at the same time its entirely possible that he could have done a little more. Compared to the other defenders who should have done a lot more.

7 : Lindelof, a bit like Jones earlier, just stands there and allows his opponent to play a fantastic ball into a dangerous area. It goes way over Smalling's head, nothing he can do about that. Its over Rojo too but the man who runs in behind him, who Rojo stops to point at saying he's offside maybe, hopefully, miss controls the ball backwards to a teammate who puts it in. And the 2nd man, who was also closest to Rojo could have been covered if he was moving to react to the pass instead of hoping the referees assistant would bail him out.

8 : Lukaku does a poor job with his challenge and the ball drops to a City player who turns it in.

Lingard and Matic both get sucked under the initial cross and take themselves out of play. Lingard at least leaps to try and challenge for the ball though, Matic on the other hand starts in the perfect position to have dealt with Lukaku's bad touch back. For some reason known only to Nemanja Matic, he moves out of the 6 yard box, closer to the corner and under the ball. I gather he was there for a reason at the start, to defend the 6 yard box but he deserted it and decided to have a break from the game for some reason instead.

9 : Lukaku swings his right boot at a cross and it bounces back off a teammate to a City player who turns it in.

10 : Corner comes in Rojo doesnt deal with it, doesnt react and it bounces off his knee towards the middle of the 6 yard box, is flat footed and again doesnt react and it falls to an opponent inside the box. Rashford is there to try and help out but doesnt manage anything either. Smalling tracked his man, but his man pulled wide and Smalling went with him so he wasn't defending the middle of the goal. We had 6 other players in the 6 yard box, at least 2 of them (Mainly Rojo but also Rashford) could have done a lot more than they did.

So there you go, the first 10 goals and Chris Smalling is perhaps guilty of 1 thing - Not covering for Rojo's mistaken positioning in goal 6. And thats being very slightly harsh because he was still doing a good job defending the situation that he is taking care of but if he had moved over like he did against Chelsea on this occasion it may have bailed us out.
Get a fecking outdoor hobby ffs.

RedRoach

I think people need to go back and watch the game again. Yes he had a better second half as Burnley tired, but most of Burnley's major opportunities came from his bad positioning and jitteriness in defence. People keep claiming he is great in the air but that doesn't help if your positioning is bad. A couple of times in the first half he allowed Burnely players free headers due to bad positioning and Jones had to step in to cover his poor positioning on other occasions.

Don't even get me started on his ball control and passing and overall calmness in possession. He kept giving the ball away in the first half. It is all well and good claiming he improved in the second (which he did) but if we had been playing against a better side we could have been 2 or 3 down at half time and then there is no coming back from there. Being good for 50% of the game is not good enough IMO.

He has had better and worse games, but whilst he is in the side I feel much more nervous watching us in defensive situations. The sooner Bailly comes back the better.

Last edited:

Icemav

I think people need to go back and watch the game again. Yes he had a better second half as Burnley tired, but most of Burnley's major opportunities came from his bad positioning and jitteriness in defence. People keep claiming he is great in the air but that doesn't help if your positioning is bad. A couple of times in the first half he allowed Burnely players free headers due to bad positioning and Jones had to step in to cover his poor positioning on other occasions.

Don't even get him started on his ball control and passing and overall calmness in possession. He kept giving the ball away in the first half. It is all well and good claiming he improved in the second (which he did) but if we had been playing against a better side we could have been 2 or 3 down at half time and then there is no coming back from there. Being good for 50% of the game is not good enough IMO.

He has had better and worse games, but whilst he is in the side I feel much more nervous watching us in defensive situations. The sooner Bailly comes back the better.
Agree. As impressive as I find him defensively, and he can be formidable, he utterly kills us when in possession. Its is awful and that one weak link in the chain is why we cant work the ball up the field and have to hoof it. As always it starts from the back.

Ekeke

Don't even get me started on his ball control and passing and overall calmness in possession. He kept giving the ball away in the first half. It is all well and good claiming he improved in the second (which he did) but if we had been playing against a better side we could have been 2 or 3 down at half time and then there is no coming back from there. Being good for 50% of the game is not good enough IMO.

Which is funny because he makes more mistakes. But I suppose as long as you feel less nervous, whats happening on the pitch and our results doesnt matter

RedRoach

Which is funny because he makes more mistakes. But I suppose as long as you feel less nervous, whats happening on the pitch and our results doesnt matter
What I saw and what I have seen in the last few games is that we have been fortunate at times not to concede. Ecstatic that we got a good result, but lets not try and paper of the cracks and pretend that performance from Smalling was good. It was not, and being good 50% of the game doesn't constitute being good. My point remains that a better side would have punished us.

Ekeke

What I saw and what I have seen in the last few games is that we have been fortunate at times not to concede. Ecstatic that we got a good result, but lets not try and paper of the cracks and pretend that performance from Smalling was good. It was not, and being good 50% of the game doesn't constitute being good. My point remains that a better side would have punished us.
You're doing that exact thing with Bailly

J_Red 11

Why keep moaning when both him & Jones have been our best centre back this season and we have kept a lot of clean sheets. He's been better than Lindelof, Rojo & Bailly (Bailly looked sloppy this season before he got injured).

RedStarUnited

I can not stand his lack of ball playing skills. And it doesnt mean I only want a defender to be good on the ball, I just expect it now from a defender in a supposed top team.

Bailly and Jones for the future.

Loublaze

ATLien
I can not stand his lack of ball playing skills. And it doesnt mean I only want a defender to be good on the ball, I just expect it now from a defender in a supposed top team.

Bailly and Jones for the future.
I see a lot of sickbed time in their futures and while that happens Smalling will play and remain a pivotal player player during his prime years.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Just heard a Spurs fan say United team looks strong but they have Smalling and he’s shit we got a good chance. :lol: Let’s hope it’s a bloody good jinx!!!

binary bot
His ability on the ball is really problematic in big games, they're just letting him have the ball and closing off everybody else, and we're struggling to get out.

Based Adnan

Only reason Tripper had all that room is because Smalling brainlessly stepped out for no reason. Jones then had to shift over to cover and then Young had to come inside as well allowing Tripper all that room.

Bwuk

Absolute donkey.

You can’t be this poor on the ball at this level.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Say what you will about Smalling and his lack of technique etc, but how often is he directly responsible for goals like Jones was twice today?
Erm. Yes Jones lost the header but Smalling should have closed better!

p2pZeus

What is wrong with him. When is he going to learn not to panic. He just gives away free throw ins, free corners and every time opposition players run towards him, he panics and passes back to the GK.

He has been like this his entire career, he got dropped from national team for exactly being like this yet he still hasnt improved on his weakness.

There were rumours in january that he was off to Arsenal. I couldn't give a damn if he had left.

Rossa

Smalling did close, but it bounced off his heel - a little unlucky. The problem is that I wouldn't be all wound up if this happened once or twice, but Jones is just terrible in the air. He loses far too many of those. Do you really think that Smalling would have lost that header?

izec

People will obviously say Jones cost us today, but lets not pretend Smalling should play either. He is just not good enough. Invites so much pressure from being shit on the ball is enough really. He is not that good defensively to make up for it

Jaybomb

We’ll never win anything major with Smalling and Jones. Never in a million years.

Rossa

People will obviously say Jones cost us today, but lets not pretend Smalling should play either. He is just not good enough. Invites so much pressure from being shit on the ball is enough really. He is not that good defensively to make up for it
Jones is at fault for both goals, yet you want to blame Smalling.

He's not having his best game, not by a long shot, but Jones is the culprit today, no doubt.

Smalling is awful with the ball today, Jones just lost another duel - terrible defending!

Romez

WTF are you talking about? He did close down, he made the block and the ball unluckily landed at Eriksen's feet. There was nothing he could have done about that.

Jones is completely at fault for both goals.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The Spurs press is collective and very strong so you will see ballplayers in defence lose the ball, hoof etc. in these situations. Just look at Matic playing deep in this same game, does the same thing if the situation calls for it. Yet its this BIG deal if a defender does it to clear pressure? What about our non existent midfield? They close down our flanks and thats where we look to move the ball up the pitch. Its nothing short of idiotic to blame the defenders in a game like this for the pressure we're receiving. The defenders have been isolated and caught on the break because the attackers lose the ball when they can't handle the pressure, should we replace them all because they "can't play football at this level".

I get being frustrated, but the ignorance being used here to blame individuals is ridiculous. Yeah, kinda hard to not feel bad for Jones because its just never gonna work for him because of these errors, but lets not disregard the actual good defending they have done too. I think De Gea, Young and Pogba have been the most lackluster if anything

yardieUnited

all i see is comments regarding his passing but never his positioning which is TERRIBLE, always run after players when not needed, always falls back behind the backline thus making opposition player onside due him being nervous, the guy is 27 or something still hasn't learned simple aspect of positioning. can the man just be in line with the other defenders ? CAN HE? also he tend to run up the field to hunt for opposition players LEAVING HUGE GAPS!

Loublaze

ATLien
Just heard a Spurs fan say United team looks strong but they have Smalling and he’s shit we got a good chance. :lol: Let’s hope it’s a bloody good jinx!!!
Did you ask the idiot Spurs fan how many goals Kane has scored against Smalling?

el3mel

He looked like a kid not a professional footballer when a high press was done on him.

J_Red 11

Not sure with all these critcism, Smalling shows that defenders need to know how to defend as a priority not how to pass. He cleared the ball, won headers, blocked a lot of shots, and without all of these, we would have conceded more goals due to every ball went through Jones easily. He did well today despite of playing one man centre back while Jones looked clueless.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
WTF are you talking about? He did close down, he made the block and the ball unluckily landed at Eriksen's feet. There was nothing he could have done about that.

Jones is completely at fault for both goals.
The amount of time he had between the ball coming from the poor header he should have done a lot better. Young should have also tracked Erickson. All three ‘defenders’ were poor. We need to get rid of the remaining saf ‘value’ signings.

criticalanalysis

He looked like a kid not a professional footballer when a high press was done on him.
The sad thing is, Spurs aren't even pressing really high or aggressively, it's just disciplined positioning. Anyways my point is, Smalling is fecking abysmal on the ball.

criticalanalysis

The sad thing is, Spurs aren't even pressing really high or aggressively, it's just disciplined positioning. Anyways my point is, Smalling is fecking abysmal on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.