Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Art

Art the artist
Deer in the headlights basically for full 90 minutes today. Has no business starting big games for us.

el3mel

The sad thing is, Spurs aren't even pressing really high or aggressively, it's just disciplined positioning. Anyways my point is, Smalling is fecking abysmal on the ball.
Sadly enough he's a big liability in big games. Just press the back line and we'll never be able to build anything from the back.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
As for the most experienced CB in the team, younger lads have not much to learn from him.

Slightly better than Jones doesn't makes you United material. Sorry.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't want to come in here trashing one player when many of our players were terrible but the worry with Smalling is just how poor he is on the ball. Opposition teams are happy to let him have it because they know there's no threat and a good chance they'll have it back.

Some, including Jones, were worse tonight but he has no future here unless he improves his composure.

Loublaze

ATLien
Sadly enough he's a big liability in big games. Just press the back line and we'll never be able to build anything from the back.
Can you please tell what big games Smalling has been a 'big liability' in this season? Liverpool 0-0, Arsenal 1-3, Spurs at OT 1-0, lost 1-0 to Chelsea lost 1-2 to City. Please tell me with specific examples where he was a liability? He played in all those games and wasn't at fault for a single goal we conceded

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Seeing the Spurs centre half carry the ball out of defence and turn it into attack just put the final nail in Smallings coffin for me. Please cash in ASAP.

Last edited:

el3mel

Can you please tell what big games Smalling has been a 'big liability' in this season? Liverpool 0-0, Arsenal 1-3, Spurs at OT 1-0, lost 1-0 to Chelsea lost 1-2 to City. Please tell me with specific examples where he was a liability? He played in all those games and wasn't at fault for a single goal we conceded
Here it comes. One criticism for Smalling and immediately you see the defending him even though he was shambolic tonight. First of all you can re-search my posts in this thread and you can find that I talked well about him this season and I don't have anything against him.

I'm talking about a certain point. Smalling is a good box defender but his liability is obvious : just press him like crazy and you'll get all the mistakes you want from him ( and Jones and Young as well ). Also high pressing him will prevent us from building any attack from the back resorting us to long balls.

When he's given time on the ball this problem won't arise, but any side who will press like today this will get repeated. He may not make a direct mistake for a goal but we were unable to bypass the high press they were doing from the back because him, Jones and Young looked clueless in how to get pass this press and build the attack so either back pass it to David or hoof it aimlessly upfront. Any top side in Europe will find it easy to exploit this weakness.

We can't keep possession of the ball because our back four can't build an attack comfortably under pressure and our midfield is so light weight with Matic alone. You can never excuse Smalling from the first one.

Sylar

Always said it, but hes a penalty box defender.
He did come up from the conference so it makes sense. He always looked at his best next to a leader (like Vidic) telling him what to do. Hes now meant to be the leader and you see the issues.
For big games, his lack of ability on the ball and to deal with pressure is a problem.

Bwuk

Always said it, but hes a penalty box defender.
He did come up from the conference so it makes sense. He always looked at his best next to a leader (like Vidic) telling him what to do. Hes now meant to be the leader and you see the issues.
For big games, his lack of ability on the ball and to deal with pressure is a problem.
This basically.

I’m not sure how on Earth he gets defended so vigourously on here.

Look at the difference between him and the Spurs CBs tonight.

Jaybomb

@Jaybomb also thinks Rojo is one of the best CBs in the league
No I don’t. I said he’s better than Smalling and Jones. And he is.

So is Bailly for that matter. Anybody with any knowledge of football can surely see this.

The sooner we stop accepting medicority and become more ruthless, the sooner we’ll be back on top.

The fact is Smalling, Jones and Young are not United quality. You can make excuses for them all you want and maybe they’ll have a game or two where you’ll say “Hmm, maybe they’re not bad after all”.... but that doesn’t change the fact that we’ll win feck all as long as they’re in the starting 11.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I will not go in debate why i think that he is average defender and count his mistakes, flaws, etc... the main problem is that man utd central defender can't be that reckless and that bad on the ball. It is awful to see how bad he is with the ball.
I hope that we will sell him. We have one hour left. Maybe if we call arsenal now.....

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Smalling is a good box defender but his liability is obvious : just press him like crazy and you'll get all the mistakes you want from him ( and Jones and Young as well ). Also high pressing him will prevent us from building any attack from the back resorting us to long balls.

When he's given time on the ball this problem won't arise, but any side who will press like today this will get repeated. He may not make a direct mistake for a goal but we were unable to bypass the high press they were doing from the back because him, Jones and Young looked clueless in how to get pass this press and build the attack so either back pass it to David or hoof it aimlessly upfront. Any top side in Europe will find it easy to exploit this weakness.

We can't keep possession of the ball because our back four can't build an attack comfortably under pressure and our midfield is so light weight with Matic alone. You can never excuse Smalling from the first one.
Spot on

Loublaze

ATLien
No I don’t. I said he’s better than Smalling and Jones. And he is.

So is Bailly for that matter. Anybody with any knowledge of football can surely see this.

The sooner we stop accepting medicority and become more ruthless, the sooner we’ll be back on top.

The fact is Smalling, Jones and Young are not United quality. You can make excuses for them all you want and maybe they’ll have a game or two where you’ll say “Hmm, maybe they’re not bad after all”.... but that doesn’t change the fact that we’ll win feck all as long as they’re in the starting 11.
Jones and Smalling are both better than Rojo who is the biggest liability at the back. Why isn't he even getting games now?

Jaybomb

Jones and Smalling are both better than Rojo who is the biggest liability at the back. Why isn't he even getting games now?
How is Rojo a liability exactly?

I guarantee if Rojo cost us two goals like Jones did today, that reputation would never leave him.

I’ve never seen Rojo blast it in his own fecking net before.

El Jefe

This game is proof he's not good enough for us. We all know he's a good defender but an atrocious footballer and I don't think I've seen a team expose a player as much in this regard as Spurs did to Smalling.

At times he looked like he just came from a piss up. Nervous, clumsy and spreading fear through the team is what he's constantly up to in big games.

Get rid of him and his pussy voice.

Rossa

This guy actually kept the score down with all the headers he won and blocks he made even late in the game. Kane tried and still can't get past him. He deserves more credit than his special needs partner Jones
Yep. Then people talk about how often he loses the ball or misplaces the ball, but he rarely does any of those. Yes, his passing is a little slow, a little cumbersome, but his passing percentage is very good, so seldom does he misplace a pass. Furthermore, he rarely loses the ball because of poor technique - like Jones with that own goal!

His defending was good today, and he contained Kane very well. If it had been Smalling instead of Jones for that first header, we would not have conceded, and the game could have been very different.

Rossa

This game is proof he's not good enough for us. We all know he's a good defender but an atrocious footballer and I don't think I've seen a team expose a player as much in this regard as Spurs did to Smalling.

At times he looked like he just came from a piss up. Nervous, clumsy and spreading fear through the team is what he's constantly up to in big games.

Is that really ok to write about our own players?

Loublaze

ATLien
How is Rojo a liability exactly?

I guarantee if Rojo cost us two goals like Jones did today, that reputation would never leave him.

I’ve never seen Rojo blast it in his own fecking net before.
Do you even have to ask? Rojo is reckless nutjob! Are you going to forget his his recent stupid penalty giveaway against Watford? Lets not forget the two reds he should've got last season. He's worse than Jones in this respect

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien

What does a 'p' voice sound like?

Jaybomb

Do you even have to ask? Rojo is a reckless nutjob! Are you going to forget his his recent stupid penalty giveaway against Watford? Lets not forget the two reds he should've got last season. He's worse than Jones in this respect
Feck me. You’re talking about two tackles he made where he DIDN’T get sent off? How does that make sense?

I take it you don’t rate Sergio Ramos then? A guy who is widely regarded as the worlds best CB.

Jones and Smalling have actually cost us games. On a number of occasions. But Rojo is the liability. Okay.

It sounds to me that every CB who’s actually a good footballer is a “liability” these days.

Loublaze

ATLien
Feck me. You’re talking about two tackles he made where he DIDN’T get sent off? How does that make sense?

I take it you don’t rate Sergio Ramos then? A guy who is widely regarded as the worlds best CB.

Jones and Smalling have actually cost us games. On a number of occasions. But Rojo is the liability. Okay.

It sounds to me that every CB who’s actually a good footballer is a “liability” these days.
You're insulting Ramos by mentioning reckless Rojo in the same breath as him. Clueless. Mourinho clearly doesnt see Rojo as a starter. Smalling has had the most minutes this season followed by Jones.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yep. Then people talk about how often he loses the ball or misplaces the ball, but he rarely does any of those. Yes, his passing is a little slow, a little cumbersome, but his passing percentage is very good, so seldom does he misplace a pass. Furthermore, he rarely loses the ball because of poor technique - like Jones with that own goal!

His defending was good today, and he contained Kane very well. If it had been Smalling instead of Jones for that first header, we would not have conceded, and the game could have been very different.
I agree. I feel Smalling was out there by himself. Kane really wanted that 100th goal and Smalling is the only one who stopped him from getting it

Kammy26

We need a defender today who could handle a press. Maybe a bit of ball playing but that’s too much to ask with Smalling. He just hoofs 90% of the time even when no one is around him. And he’s soooo fecking clumsy it’s like bambi on ice sometimes. He needs to be gone in the summer

Jaybomb

You're insulting Ramos by mentioning reckless Rojo in the same breath as him. Clueless. Mourinho clearly doesnt see Rojo as a starter. Smalling has had the most minutes this season followed by Jones.
You said Rojo was a reckless nut job. So is Ramos. How does that mean they’re not good players?

Smalling has only played that much because of Bailly’s injury. As for why Rojo’s not playing... maybe Mourinho was too stupid to put trust into Beavis and Butthead. He’s not the first good player that’s been on the bench. But surely next week he will be back in the fold.

At least he won’t smash the ball past De Gea.

haram

Looking forward he isn’t good enough. He’ll be gone after next season.

Loublaze

ATLien
You said Rojo was a reckless nut job. So is Ramos. How does that mean they’re not good players?

Smalling has only played that much because of Bailly’s injury. As for why Rojo’s not playing... maybe Mourinho was too stupid to put trust into Beavis and Butthead. He’s not the first good player that’s been on the bench. But surely next week he will be back in the fold.

At least he won’t smash the ball past De Gea.
Ramos is also a world class player, something Rojo will never be. Rojo is not even a better defender than David Luiz who is ridiculously talented but also very immature as a centerback. I don't care why Smalling is playing, the only thing that matters is that he is. Injuries are part and parcel of the game and they can kill careers. Smalling has had a few of his own injuries but still comes back and gets more playtime. He's played more than any other CB since Fergie retired

Jaybomb

Ramos is also a world class player, something Rojo will never be. Rojo is not even a better defender than David Luiz who is ridiculously talented but also very immature as a centerback. I don't care why Smalling is playing, the only thing that matters is that he is. Injuries are part and parcel of the game and they can kill careers. Smalling has had a few of his own injuries but still comes back and gets more playtime. He's played more than any other CB since Fergie retired
And look what we’ve achieved by playing Smalling and Jones that much. We won 0 league titles and have finished 7th, 4th, 5th and 7th again! What an achievement!

David Luiz hasn’t been immature for about 4 seasons now. You’re living in the past. Luiz looked like twice the player Smalling and Jones ever did last season. He was a massive reason Chelsea won the league.

Can you honestly ever see Jones and Smalling having that influence? Never in a million years.

Bwuk

He’s played more than probably anyone bar Dave since Fergie retired and look how badly we’ve declined. We never used to rely on our keeper as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.