Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Do any of our CB's? Smalling seems to keep getting games as he is, defensivly speaking, the best of a bad bunch. I wouldnt back any of the others against a combative CF, just last week Jones was bullied by Kane.

Personally think we AGAIN need to spend on CB over the summer, look for a CB who wont go to pieces with the ball at his feet but is also capable of winning challenges in the air. If we could trust Bailly to stay fit, would be tempted to move Smalling, Jones and Rojo on, or at least 2 of them, they could choose straws tbh, bring in someone to start games, leave Lindleof and Tuanzebe as cover. TFM could also help out if needed.
Think Dier (midfield) and a strong physical centre back would do our team wonders. Although in my opinion we need another attacker as well so options maybe realistically limited by budget.

Canagel

Still fuming with his performance. Got lucky not to concede a penalty and then dives to concede the free kick they scored from. He was all over the place. If he plays again next week there is something seriously wrong at the club.

overrated 92's

He would do very well for a midtable team like Everton or Burnley. Definitely not made for United.

Awful awful footballer.
I personally think, they'd be looking for better than him, he was beyond poor yesterday, but its his general shirt grabbing and holding that scares the life out of me, how he hasn't given away more pens is beyond me.

Ekeke

The reason we have one of the best defences in the league is because Mourinho's strengths as a manager largely lie in his ability to organise a defence/keep goals out, and because we have one of the best GK's in the world.

People aren't criticising Smalling solely on the back of yesterday's performance, or on the back of one error. He's consistently shaky - an alright squad player at best but he has no business being one of the leading central defenders for a team with title ambitions.
This really hasnt been the case at United. If he was so good at organizing the defence we wouldnt need Smalling and De Gea bailing us out so much. Our goals conceeded have largely been through disorganization and players not tracking runs or covering the space when the defence needs to be dynamic and keep shape rather than individual mistakes where a defender loses the ball, falls over, scores an own goal, etc which used to be the case back before Rio came in.

In the past thats been one of Mourinho's strengths for sure at the likes of Porto and Chelsea until he went to Madrid, but we've always had a good defensive record over the past several years.

Acole9

Outstanding
Nope. I honestly thought he would be a beast under Mourinho, seems like the perfect match but he's regressed if anything.
He certainly has, under van Gaal he was our best defender. He needs to go back to being Mike again.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's what, 28? Still plays like a nervous wreck at times. He can defend well, but that's all for nothing when he's prone to lapses and mistakes.

I'd put up with that if he was TFM's age and looks to have a high ceiling but someone his age should really be the finished article and someone we can rely on.

RonaldoVII

He's what, 28? Still plays like a nervous wreck at times. He can defend well, but that's all for nothing when he's prone to lapses and mistakes.

I'd put up with that if he was TFM's age and looks to have a high ceiling but someone his age should really be the finished article and someone we can rely on.
Doesn't that description fit all our central defenders?

Player Red

Well its the truth. The bookies had us as favorites but most opposition fans thought United were not going to be able to contain the speed and movement of the Ajax attack. Dolberg was supposed to cause us serious problems no? Some people here went into panic mode when they found out Blind was in the starting 11. You only look at the negatives when it comes to Smalling. Why do you think Mourinho plays him so much? Rojo and Lindelof can't keep him off the starting lineup and are now merely cup tie players and they were purchased to improve our defense.
You do have to remember however that Mou's assessment of this game was that Smalling shouldn't spend any time on the ball and just put it long to Fellaini. We really shouldn't be playing someone at CB where the manager doesn't rate their ball playing ability.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?

Wow - I still think of him as 22/23 :eek:

The guy should be coming into his prime right now. The guy's surely going in the summer.

Ekeke

He's not prone to them though. He makes less than our other CBs. Thats why he plays, the other CBs are more prone to being rash and getting caught out

Ekeke

You do have to remember however that Mou's assessment of this game was that Smalling shouldn't spend any time on the ball and just put it long to Fellaini. We really shouldn't be playing someone at CB where the manager doesn't rate their ball playing ability.
As if Mourinho wouldnt want Maldini chucking the ball up to Fellaini. It doesnt matter who is playing, Mourinho is happy with that style

POF

The reason we have one of the best defences in the league is because Mourinho's strengths as a manager largely lie in his ability to organise a defence/keep goals out, and because we have one of the best GK's in the world.

People aren't criticising Smalling solely on the back of yesterday's performance, or on the back of one error. He's consistently shaky - an alright squad player at best but he has no business being one of the leading central defenders for a team with title ambitions.
But is he really? I think it's pretty obvious that when everyone is fit and on form that Bailly and Jones are first choice. Smalling has played himself into the team with his performances and is in the side ahead of Rojo (best defender last season) and Lindelof (big money signing) on merit. There is no other team in the league with 5 centre backs as good as United's.

He is excellent one on one and is rarely dribbled past, he is outstanding in the air (head and shoulders above any other United defender), he has great pace, solid positioning and reads the game well.

His weaknesses: he is poor on the ball (he's a defender so I couldn't care less) and he loses confidence very easily. He lacks an inner self belief and it impacts his performances when he's low on confidence. But, if I was to say why he is so heavily criticised, it's because he is clumsy on the ball and he looks a bit gormless.

He's an easy target and probably the only defender in any top club who would get the bulk of the criticism for a 1-0 defeat when he wasn't even at fault for the goal.

Loublaze

ATLien

We're not the ones to decide that, he does. He did say that about Smalling, but looking at Fellaini's overall usage in that game you can easily say the same thing applied to most of our players. Smalling also got the assist for our second goal. Mourinho understands that Smalling is limited on the ball but above all he values his defensive contribution. For starters no one wins more headers than Smalling in the team, and this season he leads the other CBs in interceptions as well.

Loublaze

ATLien
Still fuming with his performance. Got lucky not to concede a penalty and then dives to concede the free kick they scored from. He was all over the place. If he plays again next week there is something seriously wrong at the club.
Relax, the cup tie duo of Rojo and Lindelof will probably play as our next game is in the F.A cup. You can start worrying again before the Sevilla game because he's definitely starting that, fitness allowing.

Bwuk

Genuinely the mind boggles that people think he’s good enough for a side with ambitions like ours.

He’s like the crap player when you play football who you just don’t want to pass the ball too. Pogba, Sanchez etc must be so frustated when Smalling has the ball and takes forever to do anything.

Ekeke

Genuinely the mind boggles that people think he’s good enough for a side with ambitions like ours.

He’s like the crap player when you play football who you just don’t want to pass the ball too. Pogba, Sanchez etc must be so frustated when Smalling has the ball and takes forever to do anything.
I bet its the opposite. Just like I'm sure Smalling isnt that upset that Pogba and Matic arent giving the defence much support on the whole because he values what they are doing on the ball going forward, Pogba and Matic will be glad that Smalling is doing the defending.

Bwuk

I bet its the opposite. Just like I'm sure Smalling isnt that upset that Pogba and Matic arent giving the defence much support on the whole because he values what they are doing on the ball going forward, Pogba and Matic will be glad that Smalling is doing the defending.
Bet they were delighted he was doing the defending against Newcastle.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yeh but this is the Chris Smalling thread.
They go hand in hand, you're singling him out for something that others played a significant part in. I don't have to quote you in the Pogba thread in the middle of this discussion. You don't do that in other threads do you? Don't tell me you haven't brought up other players in any context in threads not made for them. Thats ridiculous.

Bwuk

They go hand in hand, you're singling him out for something that others played a significant part in. I don't have to quote you in the Pogba thread in the middle of this discussion. You don't do that in other threads do you? Don't tell me you haven't brought up other players in any context in threads not made for them. Thats ridiculous.
Thread is to discuss Smallings performances. Pogba has one too. Not saying Pogba was great by any means.

Pogba was nowhere near challenging for the header and no-one tracked Ritchie.

Will I talk about Martials misses as well?

Stop trying to deflect.

Loublaze

ATLien
Thread is to discuss Smallings performances. Pogba has one too. Not saying Pogba was great by any means.

Pogba was nowhere near challenging for the header and no-one tracked Ritchie.

Will I talk about Martials misses as well?

Stop trying to deflect.
Smalling wasn't directly at fault for their goal. What else?

Ekeke

Bet they were delighted he was doing the defending against Newcastle.
Absolutely, far better than Pogba or Matic's. I would think that those kinds of players would understand that its not about a single league match, but rather over the course of the season where Smalling has been at fault for very little compared to Jones, Lindelof, Rojo, Young and Valencia. But you never know, maybe you're right and they are immature knee jerkers like a bunch of posters here. I dont know them personally so that could be the case.

Ekeke

Yeh but this is the Chris Smalling thread.
So you can make stupid comments involving other players, but when someone else mentions them you can hide behind "its the chris smalling thread"

Why did you quote my post earlier? Its the Chris Smalling thread not my thread and other childish responses to that childish post.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Smalling should have given away a penalty for a brain dead challenge; he also did a dive in our own half which led to the free kick. This dive, was because of his poor ball playing skills which forced him into a messy situation which he tried to dive out of to get a free kick.

Smalling being our 'best defender' is only parroted in this thread because all he is good at is 1v1 defending and in the air. Unfortunately for him, this isn't the 1970s and the game has evolved.

You cannot trust Smalling to make the right decision; you can tell him to manage one variable and he's very good at it due to his physical qualites; but if you ask him to manage a situation with multiple variables he won't be able to do it. He cannot spot danger and this is something lacking in his game; he doesn't read the game very well.

The above is why he can have Harry Kane in his pocket; because he will win his physical battles almost all the time. He's an old fashioned defender, physically dominate the opposition and play safety first with the ball.

Jaybomb

I don’t think there’s ever been a lesser technically gifted footballer in United’s history. At least since the Premier League began.

L1nk

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-set-ditch-phil-12014522

Apparently had misgivings on Smalling and Jones before the Newcastle game but chose to play Smalling and Jones together regardless of Rojo and Lindelof on the bench anyway, sounds poor to me.

So it's going to be another summer of throwing money at the problem and seeing if it fixes itself if David McDonnell is to be believed, i'm of the belief they should of been replaced within the 4 windows we've had to do it, I understand Bailly's been injured but Lindelof has gone missing recently and Smalling and Jones should of gone last summer.

Antonedwin

He knows Smalling is shite but keeps playing him? LOL Smalling has more minutes than all our CBs. If Smalling is shit what does that say about what Mourinho thinks about Bailly? Mourinho usually plays his defensive signings so he must really not rate Lindelof either.
Can't you read what a wrote ? Bailly is injure prone & lindelof can't adapt yet , both rcb in their previous club , jose bought them as smalling replacement , who else ? Smalling is benchwarmer if both were fit & firing
First JM doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing playing Smalling over Lindeloff. But then you agree Jose understands defense, and he knows Smalling is shite? Funny that Jose, defending Smalling today after the game, defending the dive too, even though he knows Mike is shite. Doesn’t he have the balls to bash Mike, like he did with Mikhi?
What did you expect him to tell to the media ?telling him how stupid his dive in & how bad he was with his feet ? Manager never actually blame player directly on post-match interview , they do it behind public

Apparently had misgivings on Smalling and Jones before the Newcastle game but chose to play Smalling and Jones together regardless of Rojo and Lindelof on the bench anyway, sounds poor to me.

So it's going to be another summer of throwing money at the problem and seeing if it fixes itself if David McDonnell is to be believed, i'm of the belief they should of been replaced within the 4 windows we've had to do it, I understand Bailly's been injured but Lindelof has gone missing recently and Smalling and Jones should of gone last summer.
The best news today, hopefully like Rooney ( after Watford game , suddenly press criticize him ) jose just gave them rope to hang on Before outing them

Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles on Smalling and Jones: “You could see them on the ball and they didn’t really know what to do with it.” #mufc [express]

Even he knows what's wrong with them in just 90 minutes

Both our cb are clueless with the ball & force de gea to hoof more than it should ruining our team play.
I don't care how good smalling is at defending , according to pep almighty , good football is played from the back , a ball playing cb is better than these 2 clowns for team like us , they are more suited for stoke.
Don't bring me bs stats as pass - completion rate , even my nan can do that if it only to de gea - Jones & valencia

Last edited:

diplomat

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-set-ditch-phil-12014522

Against Newcastle, we had defensive players worth around £140m not playing in the team for one reason or the other. Te team needs to get as much money back as possible in the summer from players like Darmian and Blind, choose which one of Smalling and Jones is staying (as I believe one definitely will and has to due to home-grown rules and regulations), get a RB to compete with Valencia and decide the future for whether Shaw is first choice next season.

Loublaze

ATLien
Can't you read what a wrote ? Bailly is injure prone & lindelof can't adapt yet , both rcb in their previous club , jose bought them as smalling replacement , who else ? Smalling is benchwarmer if both were fit & firing
They are not though are they? Far from it. Smalling is the consistent, reliable and MUCH better option at the moment. Most minutes played at the back. Bailly missed the EL final last season through injury and so did Rojo. Smalling played, kept Dolberg quiet and made an assist for the second title clinching goal. I bet Bailly will tell his kids 'if I was fit and firing I would've played that game'.

haram

Smalling is nearing the end and Loublaze will be in shambles. He will be gone within the next two summers.

manunited1919

What did you expect him to tell to the media ?telling him how stupid his dive in & how bad he was with his feet ? Manager never actually blame player directly on post-match interview , they do it behind public
You should watch more interviews. Mourinho very clearly singled out Pogba to blame for the goal, but without actually saying his name.

Antonedwin

They are not though are they? Far from it. Smalling is the consistent, reliable and MUCH better option at the moment. Most minutes played at the back. Bailly missed the EL final last season through injury and so did Rojo. Smalling played, kept Dolberg quiet and made an assist for the second title clinching goal. I bet Bailly will tell his kids 'if I was fit and firing I would've played that game'.
I am quoting my other comment

If we want to reduce hoof ball / long ball , reduce the importance of maroune fellaini
we have to ship them out especially smalling.
I don't care how good they are at tackling , aerial duel , 1 on 1 or whatever it is
Good footballing team have a great defender who knows what to do with the ball in their feet
he is okay when we park the bus , let opponent have most possession & using fellaini as our long ball target.
But that's not how we want to play. That's not how top team play. Lvg play horrid football with him being main man in the back

He is running out of contract in 2019 so i am sure jose will sell him this summer , we can't keep 29 years old liability at the back with occasional brainfart who can't play football properly

You should watch more interviews. Mourinho very clearly singled out Pogba to blame for the goal, but without actually saying his name.
Jose only criticize the player he rates ( martial, shaw ) & will keep defending / praising player he wanted to get rid.
Rooney , scheneiderlin to name it few. Smalling absolute next

I suggest you should support the team , not the player

manunited1919

Jose only criticize the player he rates ( martial, shaw ) & will keep defending / praising player he wanted to get rid.
Rooney , scheneiderlin to name it few.
Smalling absolute next

I suggest you should support the team , not the player
Jose makes it clear when there’s a player he doesn’t want: Mhiki, Schweini are two examples. There are also many players he defends which he genuinely likes and wants to keep in the team, Rashford and Fellaini are 2 examples.

Do not question my support of Manchester United just because I don’t share your opinion that Smalling is shite. That is just a bad way to try to influence a discussion.

Antonedwin

Jose makes it clear when there’s a player he doesn’t want: Mhiki, Schweini are two examples. There are also many players he defends which he genuinely likes and wants to keep in the team, Rashford and Fellaini are 2 examples.

Do not question my support of Manchester United just because I don’t share your opinion that Smalling is shite. That is just a bad way to try to influence a discussion.
Now that Everyone and their mother know what they have to do with smalling ( either press him or press his passing option , double - team our midfield & beat lukaku in the air ) we are done for

There is no way other than selling him or put him on the bench for eternity
He is okay defender , but shite footballer
There should be no discussion if you guys can see what most people can from him

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Smalling will have two good games and then the next three are disastrous. He should be sold but Jose also needs to accept that our midfield is not able to cope when there is an extra man in the other teams. We need someone like Hargreaves to play in midfield. Someone who is very fast and who can tackle. Actually he should get Fosu Mensah from Palace and put him in midfield. He is very fast and very strong and yes he will make mistakes but if he plays with Matic, that leaves Pogba to do more attacking.

manunited1919

Now that Everyone and their mother know what they have to do with smalling ( either press him or press his passing option , double - team our midfield & beat lukaku in the air ) we are done for

There is no way other than selling him or put him on the bench for eternity
He is okay defender , but shite footballer
Yes, I understand that’s your opinion. You are entitled to it.

As a defender, Smalling is a good defender, I think we can agree on that.

My opinion is that not everyone is Mats Hummels. What we need mostly is to sort out our midfield, so that Smalling has better opportunities of having a midfielder available to pass to. Pogba/Matic is not working, we need a 3rd midfielder in there when we do play Pogba. Having that 3rd midfielder would go a long way to alleviate Smalling’s weakness in passing.

Antonedwin

Yes, I understand that’s your opinion. You are entitled to it.

As a defender, Smalling is a good defender, I think we can agree on that.

My opinion is that not everyone is Mats Hummels. What we need mostly is to sort out our midfield, so that Smalling has better opportunities of having a midfielder available to pass to. Pogba/Matic is not working, we need a 3rd midfielder in there when we do play Pogba. Having that 3rd midfielder would go a long way to alleviate Smalling’s weakness in passing.
but shite footballer with brainfart moment left and right
why would we have to play a 3rd midfield just to cover his weakness ? i remember when we start the league with multiple 4-0 wins, we were good playing with 2 mf right ? because bailly can actually play football, getting rid of him would be a better solution rather than adding 3rd midfield

Yeah, I cringe every time I see Matic or Pogba drop into the back line to pick the ball up off Smalling because they (rightly) don't trust him to pass it forward 10 yards. It makes playing with a midfield two even harder.
Yeah it’s absurd really. I was watching an under 9s game on Saturday morning and there was a spell where the most useless kid was put in goal and all his team-mates had to retreat to the edges of their own box every time we had a goal kick because they knew that was the only way to stop the opposition from intercepting. Little did I know I’d be watching the same shite from professional footballers the next day.
you know if we want to build anything we need to build it from its foundation first, a good CB will allow midfield to play better
matic and pogba is very good footballer we all know that, matic won EPL 2 in 3 years playing with chelsea
i don't care how good smalling can defend seriously
his embarrassing dive happens because
1. Jones bad pass
2. Shite first touch
3. no composure
4. low footballing IQ , i mean why even dive in first place ? i could understand if someone dive in opponent penalty box, not there

before you become good defender you have to be good footballer first

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's not prone to them though. He makes less than our other CBs. Thats why he plays, the other CBs are more prone to being rash and getting caught out
Like I said, I'd put up with rashness and mistakes from young players if there's a chance they learn and improve.

I gave Smalling slack back when he was starting out but at his age right now, it's not appropriate to treat him like someone who is learning the game. He needs to go.

Yeah, I cringe every time I see Matic or Pogba drop into the back line to pick the ball up off Smalling because they (rightly) don't trust him to pass it forward 10 yards. It makes playing with a midfield two even harder.
Yeah. I watched a Chelsea game earlier in the season and their midfielders didn't have to drop too deep because Cahill had the ability to make decent forward passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.