Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

gajender

Serious question: Could you REALLY see Smalling playing in a Spurs, Liverpool, City or Chelsea team?? I think only Arsenal would consider him...and that says it all really.
Currently he could start at Liverpool ,Chelsea and Arsenal but going forward he would be most likely be upgraded and become good squad option which would most probably happen here as well ,Rojo and Jones should be moved on if we want to make space for new Centre back.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's wishful thinking on the part of the posters that have never rated him. We had 4 centre backs in the squad yesterday and Smalling still started, yet he'll be the first out the door? No chance. He'll be here into his 30s I reckon.
I think so too Sizzles. He's one of those players we can depend on, granted he'll make mistakes now and then (very few CBs dont), but he's on the whole consistent and more importantly not injury prone.

Jones and Rojo will both be sold before him.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Read the post again.
I understood your post. Read mine again. I wouldn't even have him in the squad. So I'm asking you again, and just for clarity, would he get into any of their squads?

Varun

Staff
I think so too Sizzles. He's one of those players we can depend on, granted he'll make mistakes now and then (very few CBs dont), but he's on the whole consistent and more importantly not injury prone.

Jones and Rojo will both be sold before him.
Exactly.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Currently he could start at Liverpool ,Chelsea and Arsenal but going forward he would be most likely be upgraded and become good squad option which would most probably happen here as well ,Rojo and Jones should be moved on if we want to make space for new Centre back.
Who would he replace at Liverpool and Chelsea?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I understood your post. Read mine again. I wouldn't even have him in the squad. So I'm asking you again, and just for clarity, would he get into any of their squads?
Well, your personal opinion doesn’t really matter does it?

Mourinho has started him at every given opportunity, and we’re currently the second best team in the country.

So it doesn’t matter if he would get into any other squad.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Well, your personal opinion doesn’t really matter does it?

Mourinho has started him at every given opportunity, and we’re currently the second best team in the country.

So it doesn’t matter if he would get into any other squad.
Of course, personal opinion doesn't matter! Same goes for the Mourinho haters and the people posting their crap in the matchday thread yesterday after the first half.

gajender

Who would he replace at Liverpool and Chelsea?
Lovren at Liverpool and Christensen at Chelsea as he seemed to have lost form but long term he should not be a starter for any club with ambition to compete at highest level.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Of course, personal opinion doesn't matter! Same goes for the Mourinho haters and the people posting their crap in the matchday thread yesterday after the first half.
Aye, like posting crap such as Fulham is Smalling’s level, when that’s clearly not true.
And hypothetical questions about whether he would fit in other squads doesn’t reflect on his (or anyone else’s) ability.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Serious question: Could you REALLY see Smalling playing in a Spurs, Liverpool, City or Chelsea team?? I think only Arsenal would consider him...and that says it all really.
Sanchez starts every game for Spurs, a player we targeted in the Europa league final due to his supposed lack of ball playing ability.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Smalling is actually a good defender, just not at that world class level. He would be a regular starter for Liverpool and Arsenal due to their problems at the back and a squad player for Chelsea, Spurs and City when they need to add a bit of defensive stability.

He is a fantastic 1v1 defender and a monster in the air. He has important tactical uses for any top manager.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Aye, like posting crap such as Fulham is Smalling’s level, when that’s clearly not true.
And hypothetical questions about whether he would fit in other squads doesn’t reflect on his (or anyone else’s) ability.
That's my opinion and like you say what does it matter anyway? I'd go back to yesterday's match day thread before you make any more comment about posting crap.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He's a good defender in the opposing box but not a great defender and poor in possession. I honestly think that Lindelof will get ahead of him in the pecking order next season, if both are still around (although neither may be first choice)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yesterday's miss was probably more on Kompanys strength and determination. Its all about how you start that move while attacking the ball during corners. Kompany was brilliant and had an initial advantage. To add, ball was kept on a plate where he attacked.

Still a good defender and I would keep him. Sell Jones though.

Acole9

Outstanding
Was Andy Cole good enough for us? He barely got a sniff for England either.
Fair point, I do think Cole should've won more caps than he did but he was around at a time where England had a lot of quality strikers. England aren't exactly blessed with quality central defenders are they?

I have no agenda against Smalling, I thought he was excellent under van Gaal but I think we can do better and he would be the one I would move on out of all our central defenders to make room for a top class one in the summer. Bailly and Jones are our best two currently, Rojo has signed a new contract so he's going nowhere and Lindelof needs another year.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Comfortably so for all of those teams bar Spurs and City. Spurs already have two (three) very good CBs, and City stylistically. He's as good of a physical one on one enforcer but obviously lacking the leadership as current level Kompany.

roseguy64

I dislike him at times. It is his on the ball ability, passing it sideways or to De Gea all the time while making mistakes here and there that i just cant stand. On the other hand i would be sad to see him sold. It is just weird. For someone his age and experience he should be better on the ball and cut out the mistakes. I hope he can cut them out, i dont think he will go this summer anyway. He is a good squad player
Every defender makes mistakes. I fail to see evidenceevide Smalling makes more errors than the noted top class CBs.

Mcking

I wouldn't take a lot of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or City CBs over Smalling too - probably only Alderwiereld and Van Dijk, and they are probably the top two defenders in the league. Sure, for the first City goal, Smalling should have done better, but he was overpowered by one of the most physical footballers in the league. Kompany's defending for Smalling's goal was even worse than Smalling's defending for Kompany's goal, but you wouldn't hear a bad word from a city fan about Kompany.
Smalling has dominated even the best and physical strikers in the league, and hardly loses a duel. His defending for Kompany's goal was poor, but that was a Smalling once in fifteen games mistake. The delivery was excellent, and the movement too. It's like the opposition are not allowed to make movements in the box nor create chances.
It seems our fanbase are just looking for any chance to bash Smalling. He sure looks awkward on the ball, but he usually gets the job done. De gea passed the ball straight to Sane yesterday and cost us a goal, Bailly was all at sea and got caught out for both of Sterling's first half big chances, but you wouldn't hear a word about both. If we concede, Smalling gets the blame; if we don't score, he gets the blame; if we don't dominate, he gets the blame. He just dropped a solid performance and scored the winner in a Manchester Derby, but most are highlighting only the negatives. Most of our players, if not all are usually guilty of being unambitious with their passing, but our most defensive outfielder always gets the most blame. Seriously, I don't understand anymore. Smalling is one of the best at defending in the league and going by our playing style, he is the least of our problems right now.
We have brought in Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof in the past few years, but he's still comfortably the best and first choice. Bailly and Rojo are far more rash and makes more errors than him, but our fanbase hype both because they look more graceful on the ball, despite the fact they are just as poor on the ball. Lindelof himself comes across as a weaking, and God knows what could have being if he was the one marking Kompany when Sane put in the cross.
We have the best defence in the league, and Smalling has been integral while being the first name on the sheet.
Until we bring in a CB that even matches his defensive abilities, it has to stay that way.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I understand that different posters would rate him differently but the clamour to get rid absolutely astounds me. Even at worst, he's a better squad player to have than say Jones?
So many argued he is playing only because others are injured. We have everyone fit and he is still the first name on the sheet (in defense). That shows how Jose rates him.

He has his limitations with passing but the way people bitch about him is pathetic.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Surely staying fit is actually a positive?

I think its ludicrous to put in all these auxiliaries for 'better' players than him. Jones could be the second coming of Baresi, he's still a crock and cannot be relied upon to play the games required of a top defender.

Smalling is a good defender, if you want to upgrade on him you'll have to get world class defenders, not two-bits like Jones and Rojo.

AR87

So many argued he is playing only because others are injured. We have everyone fit and he is still the first name on the sheet (in defense). That shows how Jose rates him.

He has his limitations with passing but the way people bitch about him is pathetic.
I've bitched about him but he's the best CB we have at, you know, actually defending. The aesthetics of how he is on the ball and how he can get bullied at times due to always playing tight to his man hurt him more than it should in the eyes of many. I'm guilty of it at times as well.

IMO him and Bailly isn't a good pairing because both like to press up on attackers and push them forward which often leaves gaps and neither is particularly skilled at organizing the back line to adjust for that. If we can add somebody who is more a "reader of the game" to complement them and to replace Jones who I think is actually quite good at that, but is never healthy then we will be much more solid overal..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've bitched about him but he's the best CB we have at, you know, actually defending. ..
Out of our stable of defenders, he's simply the best in the air.
Imagine Rojo or Lindelof against Kompany yesterday? Or even Bailly and Jones who are more dominant aerially?
If Smalling's getting beaten, I'm not sure who thinks any of that lot wouldn't be.

Maybe Fellaini would have been on him, probably not though.

He gets too much stick, seemingly for not being Baresi on the ball, as if our other centre backs are.

roonster09

Scout
I've bitched about him but he's the best CB we have at, you know, actually defending. The aesthetics of how he is on the ball and how he can get bullied at times due to always playing tight to his man hurt him more than it should in the eyes of many. I'm guilty of it at times as well.

IMO him and Bailly isn't a good pairing because both like to press up on attackers and push them forward which often leaves gaps and neither is particularly skilled at organizing the back line to adjust for that. If we can add somebody who is more a "reader of the game" to complement them and to replace Jones who I think is actually quite good at that, but is never healthy then we will be much more solid overal..
I think for any partnership to work, they have to play games to understand and read each others game. Right now our problem is not able to field same CBs for run of games.

AR87

I think for any partnership to work, they have to play games to understand and read each others game. Right now our problem is not able to field same CBs for run of games.
Could be. I've never particularly had faith in Smalling and Bailly as a partnership due to the front foot nature of their defending, but perhaps you're right. Maybe if they develop an understanding of what the other will do it will change things.

roonster09

Scout
Could be. I've never particularly had faith in Smalling and Bailly as a partnership due to the front foot nature of their defending, but perhaps you're right. Maybe if they develop an understanding of what the other will do it will change things.
Yeah. Hopefully they will develop. They are our best and reliable CBs imo. Jones is good but his fitness record is very poor to reply on him.

El Jefe

He's not good on the ball but it should be fairly obvious that he's our best defender. The others may have their little runs of form but at the end of the day Smalling is the one Mourinho trust the most.

Brophs

The One and Only
He seems a nice lad and there's no doubt he's doing the best he can but, unfortunately, he's been consistently shown not to be good enough. If he fancies staying around to be a deep squad player then great, but other than that it's time to move on, with the memory of that goal acting as a nice bookend to a decent career at United.

Swift Football

It wasn't really a positional error neither. He was actually pushed off balance hard before the run up, but managed to hang on to Kompany's shirt and followed through just a step behind. Without the smart pushing trick from Kompany it would have been a clean duel at least.

I really can't understand why Smalling gets so much hate on here. Probably have people going overboard with the online moaning during the game and when it's finished they feel they can't go back on what's been said. Seriously think about it. He is our modern go-to scapegoat for the general moaner. The way Lingard turned a lot of people, goals like this should realistically help his rep. We are doing pretty well this season and Smalling has played almost every game, yet some how when we're doing well defensively often people here say it is despite of him, and when we are conceding and defend bad, he is the culprit. Even when we attack bad he is the culprit. I don't get why the defender is the one who needs to be graceful with great vision for a pass. Chris is all about safety and rarely makes a dangerous pass, that is not always a bad thing for a defender you know. Vidic was a bit more risky with his passing but with about the same composure on the ball. General technical ability Smalling is much better than Vidic. On defending, Vidic is a legend but Smalling is not that far behind for it to be something to be embarrassed about.

It must have something to do with fm/fifa/social circles. You know, all United-players doesn't have to be universally recognised as a brand for you to appreciate him. Smalling have to be the most unappreciated player i've seen at this club, considering all his contributions and moments. Which is probably a reason i love him so much. I'll tell ya, if he never cut his hair he would be cult legend material by now. Such is the superficial fickleness of football fans today.
That's what I said..there was a push from Kompany and then his run. As a Cb who was skinned by Kompany in very similar fashion in 2012, Smalling has to anticipate it but he dint which allowed Komapny to come ahead of Smalling. That's basic stuff.
I am not hating Smalling here just analyzing one off incident. And, Vidic was far better than Smalling with the ball. Smalling is nervous wreck on the ball whether u like it or not.

Loublaze

ATLien
I agree with that but I'm saying if he's not good enough for England then he's not good enough for us. I don't think Maguire will achieve anything no, he's decent but that's as far as I would go, overrated by many.
I simply don't agree with this. Steve Bruce and Andy Cole were never good enough for England apparently.

Minimalist

Said before but in spite of yesterday's Kompany goal, I'd still see our centre-back pairings as Smalling + 1.

He's the most reliable overall. Bailly, Lindelof, Jones, Rojo or whoever else, all have more flaws/mistakes in their game.

yardieUnited

Smalling is a squad player at best. His positioning at times is scary, often drops behind defensive line when he sees an opponent and thus making the opponent onside. Also he has a mistake in him.

Nice goal though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That's what I said..there was a push from Kompany and then his run. As a Cb who was skinned by Kompany in very similar fashion in 2012, Smalling has to anticipate it but he dint which allowed Komapny to come ahead of Smalling. That's basic stuff.
I am not hating Smalling here just analyzing one off incident. And, Vidic was far better than Smalling with the ball. Smalling is nervous wreck on the ball whether u like it or not.
Yeah, no. Im not saying it wasn't a mistake on Smalling's part. I just wouldn't call it a positional issue, due to the trick Kompany pulled.

Vidic played in a much better team with Rio, Evra, Scholes and Carrick around him. Im sure Smalling would be a lot more comfortable with the ball at his feet with those guys surrounding him. Now we are setup to be more patient and rather play back to the goalkeeper than lose the ball, Vidic was told to hoof it up the channels where we had wide players waiting. I bet you Smalling could do that if that was the plan. So while I agree Vidic used the ball better than Smalling, the ability is there for Chris, he is just not composed enough in high tempo to make use of it. I remember a few nice Smalling dribbles and cute turns when he played right back, haven't seen Vidic do that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Liverpool and Chelsea? Easily. And he'd stroll straight into being Arsenal's best central defender without breaking a sweat (which is why Wenger has tried to sign him two or three times now). Why anyone would think he'd have to drop down to a team near the bottom of the table, I have no idea.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I wanted him out the door earlier in the season, but given Jones and Rojo can't stay fit, and Bailly and Lindelof don't fully convince me it only makes sense to keep him.
Hopefully Bailly and Lindelof come good, but we need a centre back in the summer who is of the highest quality. Why we gave Rojo a new deal I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.