5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Standard game sweeping up where the other two needed him. He didn't look completely comfortable but he rarely does exude confidence in what he's doing.

Ashley R1+O

Thought he was fouled for the first goal, but he must be in debt to the karma-meter for about a thousand grabby, shovey, 50/50 fouls for his career :lol:.

Sylar

I think he needs to be a right of a three to suit him. But I guess it was either between him or Bailly and I can see why we chose him.

Man Utd 4:1 Fulham

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Couple of moments really stood out to me: easy pass out on the left to Young, but he chose to go back to De Gea. Young looked really annoyed

The other was when he stepped up in midfield to receive the ball but then chose to pass it straight back towards our own goal.

Those two passes out wide were hilarious. How anyone can watch players like Rojo and even Jones (hardly Beckenbauer and Baresi themselves) and claim his passing 'isn't that much of a problem' is beyond me. He's a player who came along 20 years too late, he would have suited the 1998 Premier League perfectly.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Those two passes out wide were hilarious. How anyone can watch players like Rojo and even Jones (hardly Beckenbauer and Baresi themselves) and claim his passing 'isn't that much of a problem' is beyond me. He's a player who came along 20 years too late, he would have suited the 1998 Premier League perfectly.
1. He is playing with an injury I believe.
2. Rojo made a mess of a simple touch and pass just last game which cost us a goal. Point me to a game where Smalling misplacing a pass, mis-controlled the ball or lost his composure has cost us like that. If you succeed I will rethink my view about if Smalling's passing isn't a big problem for us.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Rojo's pass against Arsenal was amazing. And Jones' backpasses are always a joy to watch. :drool:

He is not the best passer you'll see, but Jones and Rojo are hardly a good example for that. Rojo will be back to constant hoofing in two games which is far worse than Smalling's average passing that looks weird. Passes like today are obviously not standard for him either.

red4ever 79

He got confused today. He remembered Jones was injured last game, and didnt realize he was back, wanted to be injured with his pal again. Should write his contract off in the summer as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lately it looks like he's trying to force passes a bit more than he normally does instead of always trying to play safe. This does result in some poor passes like the two he had out wide today, but he's also played some very nice passes the last month or so. He threaded one great one down the right win to put Dalot into huge space today.

He got confused today. He remembered Jones was injured last game, and didnt realize he was back, wanted to be injured with his pal again. Should write his contract off in the summer as well.
Smalling is easily our most reliable defender in terms of not getting injured too often. :confused:

red4ever 79

Lately it looks like he's trying to force passes a bit more than he normally does instead of always trying to play safe. This does result in some poor passes like the two he had out wide today, but he's also played some very nice passes the last month or so. He threaded one great one down the right win to put Dalot into huge space today.

Smalling is easily our most reliable defender in terms of not getting injured too often. :confused:
It doesnt really matter. He is not good enough.

MadDogg

He's also been our best and most reliable defender for the last 5 years or so. Why should we get rid of him and keep any of the others who haven't been as good? :confused:

He doesn't necessarily have to be first choice if we can make the right signings, but it makes much more sense for Smalling to be backup than any of our injury-plagued, badly inconsistent defenders.

red4ever 79

He's also been our best and most reliable defender for the last 5 years or so. Why should we get rid of him and keep any of the others who haven't been as good? :confused:

He doesn't necessarily have to be first choice if we can make the right signings, but it makes much more sense for Smalling to be backup than any of our injury-plagued, badly inconsistent defenders.
You say he has been our best CB in the last 5 years. That's what I mean. We have been s*it for the last 5-6 years. Accepting mediocre players like him, Young, Valencia, Jones, Darmian, Rojo is exactly why we are in the mire

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You implied it mattered when you joked about him wanting to get injured, presumably to relax with his buddy Jones? This was your reasoning for not offering him a new contract. I fail to see what him 'not being good enough' has to do with your point about his injury. The irony is he has played two games in a row for us with that injury, so even if he was constantly injured (which you again are wrong about) painting him as did in that post are really silly and not based in reality.

red4ever 79

You implied it mattered when you joked about him wanting to get injured, presumably to relax with his buddy Jones? This was your reasoning for not offering him a new contract. I fail to see what him 'not being good enough' has to do with your point about his injury. The irony is he has played two games in a row for us with that injury, so even if he was constantly injured (which you again are wrong about) painting him as did in that post are really silly and not based in reality.
I dont really care what you think. Injured, fit he is not good enough to be starting for Manchester United.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You say he has been our best CB in the last 5 years. That's what I mean. We have been s*it for the last 5-6 years. Accepting mediocre players like him, Young, Valencia, Jones, Darmian, Rojo is exactly why we are in the mire
Right. Signing better players has nothing to do with it. It's Smallings fault isn't it? Not enough people moaning about these players on a forum and instead just "accepting them" is why we have been shit last few years. Sound logic that

MadDogg

Like I said, wanting him replaced in the first team would be fine. But unless you want us to sign enough central defenders to also have reliable backup, then wanting him out of the club is stupid and would leave us completely up shits creek during our inevitable injury crisis.

red4ever 79

Like I said, wanting him replaced in the first team would be fine. But unless you want us to sign enough central defenders to also have reliable backup, then wanting him out of the club is stupid and would leave us completely up shits creek during our inevitable injury crisis.
We have what 5 CB's at the club and 1 on loan. None of them are top class that's the reality. Lindelof has looked better and better after a difficult start, Tuanzebe is doing very well at Villa, Bailly has potential but is rash and often injured. I would sign 2 top class CB's and have Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Bailly be a back up. I would get rid of Smalling and Jones as they are out of contract anyway, and sell Rojo

Ekeke

He was better with his passing in general today. More pace on it allowing Dalot to get forward quicker down the right.

He obviously had the one he ballooned into the stand as well but we've had much better players on the ball mess up their pass sometimes too. Matic did it not long after and he's obviously a much better passer

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We have what 5 CB's at the club and 1 on loan. None of them are top class that's the reality. Lindelof has looked better and better after a difficult start, Tuanzebe is doing very well at Villa, Bailly has potential but is rash and often injured. I would sign 2 top class CB's and have Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Bailly be a back up. I would get rid of Smalling and Jones as they are out of contract anyway, and sell Rojo
Smalling isn't out of contract anytime soon, as he just signed a new one.

He is clearly top of the pecking order. None of the others have come close to dislodging him. Even if we bought 2 world class centre backs next month, they wouldn't be Smalling replacements. They'd both push him to the bench and it would likely be 2 of Jones, Rojo and Bailly out the door as 2 of them can't stay fit and the other Jose doesn't seem to like all that much.

Smalling can be improved on, but he is the least of our worries at centre back right now when we have at least 3 who are nowhere near as good nor reliable as he is. Only Lindelof has come close, though he still has a long way to go in doing it over a consistent period of time.

MadDogg

Smalling isn't out of contract anytime soon, as he just signed a new one.

He is clearly top of the pecking order. None of the others have come close to dislodging him. Even if we bought 2 world class centre backs next month, they wouldn't be Smalling replacements. They'd both push him to the bench and it would likely be 2 of Jones, Rojo and Bailly out the door as 2 of them can't stay fit and the other Jose doesn't seem to like all that much.
Who also can't stay fit.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Smalling hasnt signed a contract (yet) He is out of contract in the summer. I would sign 2 CB's in the summer and have Tuanzebe, Lindelof and Bailly as back ups
So you would sell our best CB at the moment and would have three who are worse than him and who are also more unreliable injury wise.

It's good that you are not our manager.

red4ever 79

So you would sell our best CB at the moment and would have three who are worse than him and who are also more unreliable injury wise.

It's good that you are not our manager.
Tuanzebe hasnt been injured (touch wood) Lindelof has picked up his first injury I believe just now. If you took your time to read my post carefully you would see that I did say we need to sign 2 CB's of a high caliber who would be our first choice. FYI regarding Bailly as well, lot of rumours around Old Trafford that he hasnt been injured this season just that Mourinho didnt have him on the Christmas Card list.

stevoc

Smalling hasnt signed a contract (yet) He is out of contract in the summer. I would sign 2 CB's in the summer and have Tuanzebe, Lindelof and Bailly as back ups
So sign two Centre backs, let Smalling leave and keep Lindelof and Bailly as back ups?

Or just sign two new CB's sell one of Bailly or Lindelof keep Smalling and have a stronger group of defenders.

Signing two new defenders there is no guarantee both will hit the ground running or not get injured. Would prefer to have the most reliable in terms of defending and staying injury free, of the 5 we currently employ as a back-up.

red4ever 79

So sign two Centre backs, let Smalling leave and keep Lindelof and Bailly as back ups?

Or just sign two new CB's sell one of Bailly or Lindelof keep Smalling and have a stronger group of defenders.

Signing two new defenders there is no guarantee both will hit the ground running or not get injured. Would prefer to have the most reliable in terms of defending and staying injury free, of the 5 we currently employ as a back-up.
Take it more simplistically. We are not good enough in defence. I think we all would agree on that. We do not have one outstanding CB at the club. I would sign 2 new ones that would be first choice, keep Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Bailly as back ups bearing in mind they are young and have potential. Smalling, Jones have had their opportunity and they are not good enough. Ideal time to cut them off when they are out of contract.

redpatron

Agreed. he should go, jones should go, rojo should go. Jones, Young and Smalling should be first, there's no way in hell that's it acceptable for a non-top 4 team to be paying a 120k/wk for three mediocre players. With Luke Shaw, we are looking at over a half million, with DDG thats almost 3/4 million in wages for the worst starting backline for the big 6 clubs. The right time is to cut them in the spring when the new manager arrives. Don't handicap him with those heavy contracts and deadwood players he can't get rid of.

Arsenal is doing fine with flipping rob holding and mustafi, not exactly two top tier cbs. We don't need world class cbs, if we are playing Thursdays night.

Loublaze

ATLien
Rojo's pass against Arsenal was amazing. And Jones' backpasses are always a joy to watch. :drool:

He is not the best passer you'll see, but Jones and Rojo are hardly a good example for that. Rojo will be back to constant hoofing in two games which is far worse than Smalling's average passing that looks weird. Passes like today are obviously not standard for him either.
Rojo was already constantly hoofing and losing the ball against Arsenal. One of them did connect and caused problems for Arsenal leading to our second goal right after he gifted them their second. He's a percentage balls type player, not very pretty to see indeed.

RonaldoVII

Thought he had Mitrovic in his pocket in the first half. Sure he had a couple of moments where his passing wasn't great but he wasn't alone in it, the conditions weren't the easiest.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Take it more simplistically. We are not good enough in defence. I think we all would agree on that. We do not have one outstanding CB at the club. I would sign 2 new ones that would be first choice, keep Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Bailly as back ups bearing in mind they are young and have potential. Smalling, Jones have had their opportunity and they are not good enough. Ideal time to cut them off when they are out of contract.
So you want us the have a weaker squad going forward basically? That is too simplistic to make sense, and really, fans are accepting mediocrity with mentalities like this and it's clearly why we have not been a top club last few years.:lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I stand corrected. I thought he had already renewed. Sounds like he will anyway. Until the other 4 step up and be better than him or we bring in world class upgrades, then it makes little sense to let it expire and lose him for nothing.

red4ever 79

So you want us the have a weaker squad going forward basically? That is too simplistic to make sense, and really, fans are accepting mediocrity with mentalities like this and it's clearly why we have not been a top club last few years.:lol:
Hard to decipher if you cant read or are just thick, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are reading too fast. If we managed to sign two top class CB's and then have 3 younger CB's who can rotate and step in when required, it is a far better scenario than having 6 CB's as we do now, some of them who are always injured and some of them whom are not very good.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Hard to decipher if you cant read or are just thick, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are reading too fast. If we managed to sign two top class CB's and then have 3 younger CB's who can rotate and step in when required, it is a far better scenario than having 6 CB's as we do now, some of them who are always injured and some of them whom are not very good.
We would have a better squad if we had two better CB's that is the main thing, we can agree on that. The next CB in line should be the best, most reliable one of the rest. That should go with out saying. Strength in depth make for a greater team in CL etc. Hope you can comprehend.

stevoc

We aren't great in defence this season no i agree, which is why i would quite like to keep our best defender. Smalling isn't the level of CB you build a side around but he's more than capable of being a fine back-up.

Lindelof perhaps but Bailly is done here i think, i would sell him and get some money back and keep Smalling as back up.

Bwuk

Absolutely mental how bad he is with the ball and how uncomfortable he looks.

When they do rondos at training he must stick out like a sore thumb.

I get the whole he can defend arguement, but which top team has a regular starting CB as poor technically as him. Not to mention we often have Fellaini in midfield - another poor with the ball.

Ashley R1+O

Couple of moments really stood out to me: easy pass out on the left to Young, but he chose to go back to De Gea. Young looked really annoyed

The other was when he stepped up in midfield to receive the ball but then chose to pass it straight back towards our own goal.
Shock: Professional footballer plays football on a field with ball, makes passes. News at 9.

Superb again, please don't be injured for the Liverpool game.

1. He is playing with an injury I believe.
2. Rojo made a mess of a simple touch and pass just last game which cost us a goal. Point me to a game where Smalling misplacing a pass, mis-controlled the ball or lost his composure has cost us like that. If you succeed I will rethink my view about if Smalling's passing isn't a big problem for us.
Last game when he fell over and allowed a free header for Arsenal's first...

Not that I blame him for it, nor do I blame Rojo. Both were freak mistakes but Smallings on the ball ability is definitely a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.