Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Yes I’m not sure even when fit, if he would play in Ole’s team. Think he could be too much of a detriment to the building from the back. There were quite a few times today when our defenders played one touch triangles to get out from the back, not too sure I’d feel too comfortable with smalling trying that! As you say it will be interesting to see what happens.
Lindelof and Jones have. Bailly doesnt.

Sylar

injured players shouldnt be playing, yet jose criticised injured players for not playing.

How can a player go from being named as a starter against liverpool with a fractured foot to being in the treatment room under a different manager? It boggles my mind he was asked to play with a fractured foot
I'm agreeing hence my statement
Some managers over complicate things

Simple answer can be the right answer as Ole is showing

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We miss this guy massively. Dominant centre half, and if we can get him back and at his best that will hold us until the summer when we can revisit.

Kag

He walks back into the team because he can head the ball. It’s been the case for a long time now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Curious to see what happens when he comes back. Will his tendency to defend on the back foot and the requirement of our midfield to drop and pick the ball up kill our attacking play? We need solidity in the back somehow though.
What does this mean exactly?

Sylar

I'm guessing he means his strength lies in being a penalty box defender

But that's how I see it anyway. He's great at being a defender but that doesn't make him a great CB
However with the way we've been playing it will defo be interesting to see him come in and see how he does

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm guessing he means his strength lies in being a penalty box defender

But that's how I see it anyway. He's great at being a defender but that doesn't make him a great CB
However with the way we've been playing it will defo be interesting to see him come in and see how he does
See that's what I thought. Or maybe he means he isn't proactive in his style. I disagree with both. He has something our other CB's doesn't yet have and that is flexibility. Just because he is good in the penalty box doesn't mean he isn't great playing further up the pitch. He is very solid as a defender in the penalty box which is why he has taken the role of the more calm CB after Blind left. To babysit Rojo, Jones and Bailly who are all a bit rash at times. His best performances for the club has in my opinion been the times he has been allowed to be his dominant aggressive self at the halfway line. He actually has the pace and strength to win those 1on1 duels as well as covering down the side.

Come to think of it, the way Bailly played when he first arrived reminded me of how Chris often played with Blind as his calm partner. Who knows, maybe even Smalling is one of the guys to benefit from a change in system and forward thinking.

What the other guy said, he is most comfortable defending within and just outside the penalty area. Will be interesting to see how he handles having to press high and get a bit exposed. I don't doubt that he can do it, but it's hard not to think about this:

:lol::lol:

Based Adnan

People lazily thinking Smalling can play in a high line just because he's fast...

He's a penalty box defender that likes to sit deep and clear incoming crosses. Not to mention we're now playing it out the back and Smalling has the technical ability of a league 2 footballer.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
People lazily thinking Smalling can play in a high line just because he's fast...

He's a penalty box defender that likes to sit deep and clear incoming crosses. Not to mention we're now playing it out the back and Smalling has the technical ability of a league 2 footballer.
Yeah. Very lazily:lol: I can point you to specific games if you don't believe it mate, just give the word.

I know you guys have forgotten but you know all those games we've had against top sides in the PL and actually won? Most of those games we impressed because we managed to press aggressively and Smalling played a huge part in that. What, you forgot how much he has played last few years?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What the other guy said, he is most comfortable defending within and just outside the penalty area. Will be interesting to see how he handles having to press high and get a bit exposed. I don't doubt that he can do it, but it's hard not to think about this
Might as well leave this here if we're posting videos. The guy above said that so I got it. But I agree it will be interesting to see how he copes. I imagine he will come into the team just when we start to face a bit tougher opposition. That might cause a problem, so I hope he gets a couple of training sessions with the team before we throw him in. The sooner the better though, but this was probably the right time to let his injury heal while we have these easier fixtures.

Might as well leave this here if we're posting videos. The guy above said that so I got it. But I agree it will be interesting to see how he copes. I imagine he will come into the team just when we start to face a bit tougher opposition. That might cause a problem, so I hope he gets a couple of training sessions with the team before we throw him in. The sooner the better though, but this was probably the right time to let his injury heal while we have these easier fixtures.
I didn't try to make a point with the video, just a ridiculous moment that came to mind. Hope he makes it!

sam147

We miss this guy massively. Dominant centre half, and if we can get him back and at his best that will hold us until the summer when we can revisit.
We miss him doing what? Being dominant making a tackle and then lining up like Roberto Carlos taking a free kick only to scuff a sideways 5 yard pass. The defence sets the tempo for the teams whole playing style. Having someone who players know cannot pass and someone who makes the team nervous will result in less fluid play. The midfielders will be nervous to pass to him and in turn the attackers will see less of the ball, we will have one less option on the pitch to pass to and players will be more likely to launch the ball up the pitch. One player makes a difference.

Based Adnan

Using a highlight compilation from 3 seasons ago as if that confirms your point :lol:

That's form he's never reached again by the way and even in that season we were set up extremely defensively under LVG. Smalling is fine when he's set up in a defensive team but it's in set ups we're expected to be on the front foot and push high (ie our current set up) he comes up short. How many times did we do this under LVG and Mourinho? Not many. Again that's not even mentioning his ability (or lack of) on the ball which is extremely problematic when we need to move the ball accurately and at pace.

criticalanalysis

He walks back into the team because he can head the ball. It’s been the case for a long time now.
It's sometimes as simple as this to be honest.

In a team that presses higher, Smalling's strength's and weaknesses are both heightened. The obvious negative one being on the ball ability but I think with more options and passing lanes available, he will do fine. He may not be the finished article for the team ultimately (not that any of the CBs can stake a claim really) but we absolutely need him/his qualities when we face better teams.

I just hope OGS gives him a proper chance and has faith in him. We don't want a Southgate situation where it's obvious he wasn't wanted.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Using a highlight compilation from 3 seasons ago as if that confirms your point :lol:
Listen, I don't know whats so funny mister as I told you very clear I could point you to specific games if you were to request that. You then choose to laugh because I posted a video, which wasn't aimed at you. I don't know how you dare to call anyone else lazy with that attitude.

That's form he's never reached again by the way and even in that season we were set up extremely defensively under LVG.
That is debatable. We were "defensive" in the way of having a lot of meaningless possession without committing numbers in attack yes, but the style of which we used to defend weren't actually a defensive low block. The times we did get exposed were often higher up the pitch with lofted balls or counter attacks and Smalling had a lot of defending to do in these situations. Due to the lack of pace and height of Blind he did most of the legwork dropping deep when exposed, as well as staying aggressive higher up the pitch when attacking. I can't believe you don't remember this. I also remember him slowly passing the ball around our own half and back to De Gea, with the rest of our team. Not a great memory.

Smalling is fine when he's set up in a defensive team but it's in set ups we're expected to be on the front foot and push high (ie our current set up) he comes up short.
I feel you are underestimating his flexibility here. In what way specifically has him being on the front foot defending caused a problem for us?
How many times did we do this under LVG and Mourinho? Not many.
So how would you know? You laugh at me posting a video from 3 seasons ago, but now you have to go quite a while back in time yourself to back up your own point here. If we're going by your own observations at least.

Although we have actually played on the front foot, at least in certain games these last few years, so you are wrong here, but maybe thats fine anyways.
Again that's not even mentioning his ability (or lack of) on the ball which is extremely problematic when we need to move the ball accurately and at pace.
That is because it wasn't what we were talking about at all. He isn't great on the ball, but it isn't the be all end all for a defender, even for a team trying to attack you know.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Smalling has had a whole bunch of performances where hes aggressive and winning the ball high up the pitch before the ball gets to attackers feet. Far more than any of our other CBs other than maybe Jones since thats how he likes to play. He has been less aggressive this season than last though, where he was one of the CBs with the highest interception rates in the league equal with Bailly.

Hopefully under Ole he can go back to doing what he does best. As we've had our CBs babied by childminder Fellaini and other midfielders far too often.

Mcking

Curious to see what happens when he comes back. Will his tendency to defend on the back foot and the requirement of our midfield to drop and pick the ball up kill our attacking play? We need solidity in the back somehow though.
Smalling does not defend on the back foot. He is quite aggressive when defending high up the pitch and is quite calm, yet aggressive too when defending in the box.

Giggsyking

What he will be needed for is pressing high and winning the ball. I don't think we will need two center backs building up the play. That is why Lindelof will always play.

Bola

I'm looking forward to seeing him back in the team, our best defender at the moment, but not our best footballing defender (if that makes sense).

A partnership with Lindelof could just be the ticket, with the sweede providing the ball playing and Smalling the more physical aspect of the partnership. Whoever is on loan from the treatment out of Rojo/ Jones/ Bailley can provide the back-up.

See where it takes us this season and look to reinforce in the summer, although I think we have a near ready made player in Tunzebe

SteveW

Smalling does not defend on the back foot. He is quite aggressive when defending high up the pitch and is quite calm, yet aggressive too when defending in the box.
Yes. To say he defends on the back foot is a bizarre claim. Smalling is the exact opposite. He is much happier being decisive and attacking the ball.

In an ideal world we'd sign a pacey CB to cover behind him and let him just attack the first ball. If that player had decent organisational skills we'd be absolutely sorted.

Eugenius

Are people's memories so short that we forget in the Mike Smalling era (players' player of the year) we played a very high line under LvG?

It's only live you realise how much of a physical beast he is. Absolutely gobbled up everything in behind.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This was on Instagram, but couldn't post the scan picture. Congratulations to Chris and Sam.

• samsmallinginsta
    Happy NYE from the Smalling’s! This year our dreams are coming true as we’ll be welcoming our first (non fury ) son into the world. He’s got long legs that couldn’t quite fit into the pic just like his dad We’re so excited and feeling so so blessed. You might have noticed I’ve taken a much needed break from social media to focus on this very important chapter of our lives, recharge and come back stronger. I’ll be back very soon :) Wishing everyone an amazing 2019. A new year is the perfect time to make positive changes in your life so make this the best year yet full of joy and love, that’s certainly our plan Sending everyone loads of love from Sam, Chris, Miley, Ruben and Bump xxxxx

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Smalling can't play high line :lol:

He is at his absolute best when we play high line ffs.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

His best individual performances came in the season where van Gaal had us playing a higher line, with possessive football being the focus. Our best centre back will be more than fine when he’s fully fit.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He would add so much to this team. Our defence only looks worth anything when he’s in it.

KennyBurner

His best individual performances came in the season where van Gaal had us playing a higher line, with possessive football being the focus. Our best centre back will be more than fine when he’s fully fit.
If you really remember that season we never played it fast from the back. Jones and lindelof have consistently played the ball forward under Ole instead of sideways unde van gaal.

Still smalling has been our best defender and deserves a chance to show us he too can do it under pressure. It really would be a win if he can effectively. I don’t think he can but I love being wrong.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you really remember that season we never played it fast from the back. Jones and lindelof have consistently played the ball forward under Ole instead of sideways unde van gaal.

Still smalling has been our best defender and deserves a chance to show us he too can do it under pressure. It really would be a win if he can effectively. I don’t think he can but I love being wrong.
No denying the intensity currently under Ole is a different level. The starting positions and overall line is similar though. Which was the point the original poster was making; that Smalling only works in a deep block defending his own box.

Rossa

Smalling can't play high line :lol:

He is at his absolute best when we play high line ffs.
It's quite funny. Cardy claimed Smalling was the most difficult defender to play against because Smalling was so aggressive and kept so close. He also easily outpaced players like Willian and kept up with Vardy. His stats also suggests that he is very good at intercepting.

My biggest concern with him is his ball playing skills. Both Lindelof and Jones almost play as midfielders at times,snd both are good at it.

Bwuk

When’s he back? Bailly will be suspended now, and we can’t rely on Jones fitness.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Are people's memories so short that we forget in the Mike Smalling era (players' player of the year) we played a very high line under LvG?

It's only live you realise how much of a physical beast he is. Absolutely gobbled up everything in behind.
He just need a smart ball player beside him. He's a monster at defending but I can't recall him ever being a good distributor from the back. Maybe it'll change when he's able to run forward into space a bit more (the way we saw Jones doing it)

Andersons Dietician

Lazily thinking? Are you sure it’s not people having watched him do it and have probably his best season doing it? It’s just a thought but that might be the reason so many think he’ll be good there.

Bobski

Smalling has had a whole bunch of performances where hes aggressive and winning the ball high up the pitch before the ball gets to attackers feet. Far more than any of our other CBs other than maybe Jones since thats how he likes to play. He has been less aggressive this season than last though, where he was one of the CBs with the highest interception rates in the league equal with Bailly.

Hopefully under Ole he can go back to doing what he does best. As we've had our CBs babied by childminder Fellaini and other midfielders far too often.
Smalling tends to adapt his game(defensively) to fit with his partner. That ability is one of the main reasons he has tended to end up as out main CB, ability to form partnerships, that while may not be perfect, are generally more solid and consistent with him included.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Good description. He does get lots of adverse comments here but when he is not playing you can then see how much we miss his presence.

With a real commanding partner he would be a top player.
Hope he is back soon.

Mcking

Already been said; he's a penalty box defender. He's also fairly reactive and you'll never see him dictating play.
I bet you think Lukaku is a target man because Mourinho was using him that way.
Lindelof and Bailly are high line defenders - according to some - because they can't defend in the box. Smalling on the other hand can defend in the box unlike the other two, so he is a penalty box defender. The reality is that Smalling is a complete defender, capable of defending both in the box and high up the pitch ease.
It seems you are basing your opinion completely on the Smalling under Mourinho when we usually did a lot of defending in the box. Even then, Smalling showed his abilities to completely shut off attackers and win the ball high up the pitch more so than his partners.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Already been said; he's a penalty box defender. He's also fairly reactive and you'll never see him dictating play.
His best ever season (where he won our players player of the season) was the season he was most aggressive and defended mostly on the front foot. Since then it was a managerial tactical change for our defenders to drop deeper, yet Smalling has continued being our best at stepping forward and quickly winning it back when the opposition play it up to their striker.

His ball-playing abilities (or lack thereof) is something that can be rightfully criticised, but not his defending in a higher line.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
What the other guy said, he is most comfortable defending within and just outside the penalty area. Will be interesting to see how he handles having to press high and get a bit exposed. I don't doubt that he can do it, but it's hard not to think about this:

:lol::lol:
He played one of his best seasons at this club in an extremely high line with LVG next to one of our slowest (makeshift) centrebacks in Daly Blind. I think he will do what he always does, works his way back into the side and keeps his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.