Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Is he going to learn how to head the ball in that run of games? That would be miraculous, because he is dogshit in the air.
So you're going in on Bailly because you reckon he can't head the ball but excusing Smalling because he's pretty much crap at everything else apart from heading the ball?? Ok then.

Smalling is dogshit with the ball at his feet. When is he going to learn because that would be miraculous as well.

Mcking

He’s improving in this area as his confidence grows. Give him time.

Edit: I thought you were talking about Lindelof, my bad.
7 aerial duels.....
Lindelof is even worse than Bailly on the air tbh. Needs more performances like that to show that the Newcastle game was no anomaly.

Red-17

So you're going in on Bailly because you reckon he can't head the ball but excusing Smalling because he's pretty much crap at everything else apart from heading the ball?? Ok then.

Smalling is dogshit with the ball at his feet. When is he going to learn because that would be miraculous as well.
Smalling is not great on the ball certainly, but lets not act like Bailly is anything special either. If anything, he gives the ball away far more often than Smalling because of his lack of focus. Smalling at least knows he isn't great with the ball, so he doesn't try to do too much with it and give it away. As for defending, Smalling is solid in pretty much every department which cannot be said for Bailly. He's clearly the best aerial defender we have whereas Bailly doesn't even jump for headers half of the time despite having the physical ability to be great in the air. Bailly may be able to make great tackles, but he also gets caught out of position way too many times because of his poor concentration which also leads to the numerous rash decisions we have seen him make recently. You need reliability in defenders, and Smalling has provided that more so than any of our other options.

SoCross

Everyone is talking like Smalling can’t even play a 5 yard pass right. Bollocks, he’s competent enough and won’t be a hindrance to our attacking play. Looking forward to seeing him back; our best defender in the post SAF years.

Smalling is no Barasi, we all know that, he gives the ball to someone who can pass forward effectively, but he can pass the ball. Bailly actually struggles to head the ball, certainly is not great with his own distribution - in fact I can't think of anything Bailly is significantly better at than Smalling, but there are lots of attributes where Smalling is better. Please don't start talking about ceilings (unless it's to do with plastering one).

Johan07

Would mean Lindelof is back on the left again. This is why we need someone who is most comfortable on the left.
Would it have to mean that though?
I didnt like what Mourinho was doing when he by default played Smalling at RCB regardless of partner. I liked it even less when he by default played Smalling in the center of a three as soon as we went with a back three.
OK, Smallings left foot is worse than his right but the right one is not very good to begin with. Its really should not be that big of a difference.
If Victor is going to play it should be to his strengths with is on the ball and he is much more comfortable on the right there.
If you put Smalling to the right and Lindelof to the left you have minimized that pairings ability on the ball, because Victor is much better on the right than Smalling is bad on the left if that makes sense.
I would like to see Solskjaer keep Lindelof as RCB as long as he is performing there as he is now. If Smalling comes back into the team he should play on the left IMO.
I really dont like risk-minimizing when it comes to positions. Which was what Mourinho was doing repeatedly all over the pitch.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

Smalling is competent at more than just heading the ball comparative to Bailly. A defender being good at defending is more important than being a ballplayer though, surely? A centre back in the Premier League not being able to head the ball at all is madness, much much more so than a defender whose passing is limited. Bailly is 25 in a few months. It seems unlikely that he's going to be coached in to being a good header of the ball any time soon.

Bailly's passing is marginally better, his technique is much better, but his decision making with the ball is brainless. He seems to have no issues laying the ball on a plate to an opponent in our own half. I'd rather have Smalling play it safe to a playmaker than Bailly erroneously believing he's the playmaker.

I'm not really excusing Smalling of anything. He is flawed and can be upgraded, but his defensive strengths still give him a pass more than Bailly's do, and he is currently one of our better defenders (Lindelof is the best on current form this season, then Smalling) but I am also of the belief that we need two top class CB additions regardless. If we bolstered our CB dept with top quality then I wouldn't really mind if Smalling was shipped out.

Ekeke

Everyone is talking like Smalling can’t even play a 5 yard pass right. Bollocks, he’s competent enough and won’t be a hindrance to our attacking play. Looking forward to seeing him back; our best defender in the post SAF years.
Most importantly we see fairly often players who are lauded for their ability on the ball misplace a pass, or try to do too much with the ball and get tackled and give it straight to an attacker in a dangerous area.

It constantly happens with Rojo, its occasionally happened with Lindelof, but its not just our own players. Its happened with Toby and the rest of the grass is greener CBs too. They get caught out trying to overplay.

Smalling plays simple passes and won't usually risk losing the ball with a dribble that gains us almost nothing most often so even though he might not be as good a passer as those players, theres no risk whatsoever of his passing causing a counter attack from our own half.

Shimo

People are so obsessed with this idea of ball playing defenders that they completely overlook the fact most importantly the defenders at any top team need to be able to be excellent defenders first and foremost. Smalling isn't coveted by top teams because while he is an excellent defender, they are looking to find a defender that has both in them - of that there are very very few top ones available.

For United though right now, OGS said it himself, is that what we need is that foundation in the back knowing we are not going to concede, from open play and from set pieces. Smalling to that end is still our best defender and with Lindelof's improvement, think will be a good bedrock for the rest of the season.

The other thing about Smalling is if paying attention to the pattern of play, there is nothing magical about what our CBs have been doing the last 4 games in terms of ball playing. They are not playing defense splitting passes or long cross field balls or chipped balls. All they are doing is moving the ball quickly to the likes Matic, Pogba and Herrera. Occasionally they've stepped out of defense with the ball at their feet and if anything, this is something Smalling is very capable of as well.

Smalling is also a threat in the opponents box. Not that we've had a lot of opportunities earlier in the season because we'd hardly win corners or free kicks in dangerous positions because of how little we were in the attacking 3rd.

Personally am looking forward to him getting back in this team. He has been our best defender and will just add a lot more confidence to that backline, which in turn will let us attack even more.

A-man

Most importantly we see fairly often players who are lauded for their ability on the ball misplace a pass, or try to do too much with the ball and get tackled and give it straight to an attacker in a dangerous area.

It constantly happens with Rojo, its occasionally happened with Lindelof, but its not just our own players. Its happened with Toby and the rest of the grass is greener CBs too. They get caught out trying to overplay.

Smalling plays simple passes and won't usually risk losing the ball with a dribble that gains us almost nothing most often so even though he might not be as good a passer as those players, theres no risk whatsoever of his passing causing a counter attack from our own half.
Dribbles from centrebacks rarely result in goals, but it is a good way to defend against teams who put pressure. If all defenders only play around like Smalling there is no risk for the opposite team as they know it most likely ends with DDG hitting a stressed and poor long ball, which is what they want. If you have centrebacks who can play through the press, dribble or pass, it is a much higher risk to press with many players.

Ekeke

Dribbles from centrebacks rarely result in goals, but it is a good way to defend against teams who put pressure. If all defenders only play around like Smalling there is no risk for the opposite team as they know it most likely ends with DDG hitting a stressed and poor long ball, which is what they want. If you have centrebacks who can play through the press, dribble or pass, it is a much higher risk to press with many players.
I agree, I'm not saying everyone should be risk free like him but I certainly dont subscribe to the idea that you need 2 CBs taking risks. 1 is enough.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
People are so obsessed with this idea of ball playing defenders that they completely overlook the fact most importantly the defenders at any top team need to be able to be excellent defenders first and foremost. Smalling isn't coveted by top teams because while he is an excellent defender, they are looking to find a defender that has both in them - of that there are very very few top ones available.

For United though right now, OGS said it himself, is that what we need is that foundation in the back knowing we are not going to concede, from open play and from set pieces. Smalling to that end is still our best defender and with Lindelof's improvement, think will be a good bedrock for the rest of the season.

The other thing about Smalling is if paying attention to the pattern of play, there is nothing magical about what our CBs have been doing the last 4 games in terms of ball playing. They are not playing defense splitting passes or long cross field balls or chipped balls. All they are doing is moving the ball quickly to the likes Matic, Pogba and Herrera. Occasionally they've stepped out of defense with the ball at their feet and if anything, this is something Smalling is very capable of as well.

Smalling is also a threat in the opponents box. Not that we've had a lot of opportunities earlier in the season because we'd hardly win corners or free kicks in dangerous positions because of how little we were in the attacking 3rd.

Personally am looking forward to him getting back in this team. He has been our best defender and will just add a lot more confidence to that backline, which in turn will let us attack even more.
Stop making so much sense. Everyone except for deluded United fans thinks Smalling is shit, therefore he is shit because majority rules and Jones is better because he went to the world cup instead of him. Bailly has bigger ceiling forever and ever. Lindelof is proactive and misused by Mourinho, Smalling is penalty box league 2 player and have never played a midfield-splitting pass ever or ran forward with the ball at his feet. :lol: Jeez I'm getting sick of this.

Come one guys, be honest. Everyone who shits on Smalling in here week in week out. Is it because you love Jones? Rojo? Bailly? Lindelof? We all see through your lackadaisical criticisms despite the polite and logical responses you are lucky to get. It is time to fess up. Are some of you actually jealous he made it from the position he has? What is it?

A-man

I agree, I'm not saying everyone should be risk free like him but I certainly dont subscribe to the idea that you need 2 CBs taking risks. 1 is enough.
That’s true. And the more routine the “ball playing” CB gets the better he learn when the risk is to big or not, and his pairing CB gets better at knowing when to cover for him.

Another plus it that we get more entertaining football :)

staniswin

I can't understand what people sees on him , for me he is just 25% footballer 75% wrestler, never see someone so technically inept playing as CB for a top club. by saying that i didn't say our other defender is much better either which is why Jose Mourinho has been crying for a top experience CB who isn't injury prone. Lindelof is the only CB we have who potentially can be a world class.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
This is where we would see him doing more of the pulling and shirt grabbing as attackers find it easy to get past him. Rojo is more suited to the pressing game but he is so rash. Smalling's only strength is in the box. Outside of that he is useless. Yeah and as for playing out from the back, his stats are artificially inflated by the safe sideways and backwards passing to other defenders and DDG. He would need some miraculous transformation to make it work.
His best ever season, the season that he won the players player of the year, and that was easily the best season any of our defenders have had since Rio and Vidic, happened in the season that we played the highest line since he's been a starting player. It was that season that saw the likes of Vardy call him their hardest opponent as they found him so difficult to get past.

With that in mind, why do you believe that the exact opposite would happen now and that his only strength is in the box and that he's useless outside of it? History indicates otherwise.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Smalling is actually surprisingly decent at bringing the ball forward himself. Of course the problem is that he normally can't do too much with it when it is time to pass it off.

zenith

I for one am really looking forward to him being back in the first team. He brings a level of assurance to the back line that none of Jones, Rojo and Bailey do. He's an excellent header of the ball and a threat in the opposition box as well.

With the full backs being instructed to push forward and generally more attacking play ,we need an seasoned defender to further shore up the defense.

Andersonson

He is our best CB, no doubt. If lindeløf can develop they can become a solid pair. If we could get rid of Rojo/Jones or Bailly and get someone better, great.

gajender

Just like everyone Smalling starts with clean slate under new management, personally I don't think he is good enough to be long term solution at the back if we want progress as top team again but he should get fair opportunity till summer anyway.

Mr PG

People lazily thinking Smalling can play in a high line just because he's fast...

He's a penalty box defender that likes to sit deep and clear incoming crosses. Not to mention we're now playing it out the back and Smalling has the technical ability of a league 2 footballer.
Not true. Mourinho made him that. Was decent under lvg at bringing out the ball from the back

Rafeeq RSA

Very excited to see Mike back in the line up...
Hopefully Ole will play him to his strengths and see him improving the way others have improved. With our new emphasis on attack, we should see Mike more efficient with the defense under less pressure than usual.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Smalling is very limited on the ball however he is an absolutely machine physically (and defensive I'd argue), which should help with an attacking set up as his pace allows him to recover from dangerous situations.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just like everyone Smalling starts with clean slate under new management, personally I don't think he is good enough to be long term solution at the back if we want progress as top team again but he should get fair opportunity till summer anyway.
He's been our best CB for a long time now. Can't see him going anywhere.

RooneyLegend

His best ever season, the season that he won the players player of the year, and that was easily the best season any of our defenders have had since Rio and Vidic, happened in the season that we played the highest line since he's been a starting player. It was that season that saw the likes of Vardy call him their hardest opponent as they found him so difficult to get past.

With that in mind, why do you believe that the exact opposite would happen now and that his only strength is in the box and that he's useless outside of it? History indicates otherwise.
It's quite comical when you think about it. During the Van Gaal era, when we used to really pass from the back, he was one of the best defenders in the league. Yet however inferior passing teams(England) from the back shun him cause he can't do it.

As long as you have a midfielder who can relieve pressure on the defence you can play one proper defender who isn't great on the ball. Juve have done it for eons cause they've had Pirlo and Pjanic at the base of midfield.

gajender

He's been our best CB for a long time now. Can't see him going anywhere.
Oh I agree he has been our best defender and now I don't want him sold but just because we have failed to upgrade on him doesn't mean we should stop trying, sell Jones ,Rojo and even Bailly bring two proper Cb's and let Lindelof and Smalling compete with them.

M Utd

I was about to add my input but really wanted to add almost exactly the same comments.

Therefore I'll try to add. If many agree that Smalling is a very good defender (but not World class) but his main weakness is his distribution surely the best thing is to pair him with someone who can. I actually think a Smalling Lindelof partnership would be good.

I can guarantee though some fans will be up in arms that the heading stats, for Lindelof will drop if hes paired with smalling as they have little concept that centre backs operate as a partnership. Looking at one player in isolation gives a false view. By changing one CB for another you can expect stats to change as they will be asked to do different jobs.
Unfortunately there will always be some fans that do understand this and therefore look at a stat and immediately equate that to player x is rubbish at that, let's buy someone who is good without thinking about the pairings.

Roughseas

Lindelof and Bailly should be competing for the RCB spot, as they’re both better than Smalling. Jones is able to cover at LCB. Sell Smalling and Rojo and make a big investment at LCB.

Lindelof and Bailly should be competing for the RCB spot, as they’re both better than Smalling. Jones is able to cover at LCB. Sell Smalling and Rojo and make a big investment at LCB.
Bailly Lol! Darmian perfomed better today than he has in a year. Backing the wrong horse. Smalling remains our best defender and he’s here to stay.

Based Adnan

Dreading the amount of penalties he's going to give away with his manhandling in the penalty area with VAR being introduced next year

Loublaze

ATLien
Dreading the amount of penalties he's going to give away with his manhandling in the penalty area with VAR being introduced next year
What a bore. That's what your fellow Smalling critics have been posting repeatedly. Its like Groundhog day in here.

Based Adnan

What a bore. That's what your fellow Smalling critics have been posting repeatedly. Its like Groundhog day in here.
Because it's true? As well as his non league ability on the ball the penalty box also turns into a wrestling ring according to Chris for every single corner

stevoc

:lol:

Is it still 2016 where you live?

We've all been watching Bailly for nearly 3 years now he isn't better than Smalling clearly.

Smalling and Lindelof will be here next season. I can see Bailly getting another year but Jones and Rojo should both be gone by June. Neither are good enough nor reliable enough.

Loublaze

ATLien
Because it's true? As well as his non league ability on the ball the penalty box also turns into a wrestling ring according to Chris for every single corner
How funny that Bailly, Jones and Rojo are the one with worse disciplinary records and more moments of stupidity and rashness that cost the team points and games. Jones is also a bigger threat in the box to his own goalie than the opposition!

stevoc

Smalling is no Barasi, we all know that, he gives the ball to someone who can pass forward effectively, but he can pass the ball. Bailly actually struggles to head the ball, certainly is not great with his own distribution - in fact I can't think of anything Bailly is significantly better at than Smalling, but there are lots of attributes where Smalling is better. Please don't start talking about ceilings (unless it's to do with plastering one).
Crazy kung-fu clearances and wildly jumping into tackles?

POF

It's really important that he's fit for the Spurs game. Spurs have the fire power to take advantage of the defensive mistakes United have been making lately.

Smalling back to shore things up next to Lindelof and put Kane back in his pocket could make a huge difference.

Loublaze

ATLien
It's really important that he's fit for the Spurs game. Spurs have the fire power to take advantage of the defensive mistakes United have been making lately.

Smalling back to shore things up next to Lindelof and put Kane back in his pocket could make a huge difference.
This. Play Jones and you're asking for trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.