Chris Smalling - linked with a move away

Member 5225

A few reports that Arsenal want him!

I’d be delighted if he moved on tbh. He’s ok but not great. I understand folks that like him as a squad player though.

Would you sell if reasonable offer comes in?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Arsenal can feck off tbh.

I think it's clear that Jose likes Smalling given he plays him whenever he's available, so this is likely to be a non-starter.

Our defence need not be tinkered with.

GlasgowRedz

Can't see him leaving in this transfer window.

If we got a great offer for him then I'd not be adverse to selling him, but it would depend on who we would be replacing him with.

Silas

No way will we sell him now, with Bailly still being injured.

AshRK

Now relax arsenal, just because we let Mkhi join you doesn't mean you act all giddy.

JB7

Whenever he's fit, he plays. No way would Jose sell him.

Greck

Mourinho isn't selling a first team defender in the middle of the season. Doubt he'd even sell them Darmian

Skills

Snitch
Sounds like a great idea. We're stacked full of CBs, Bailly, Jones and Rojo are the types never to miss a game anyway. And Lindelof has been on fire since he joined.

Genius move.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Other than Blind, he's our only CB who can stay fit reasonably regularly. No way Jose would sell unless he wishes to go and Smalling doesn't seem like the kind of person who'd take that step down from United to Arsenal.

Sell them Rojo instead.

Dobba

Would be odd considering the manager clearly fancies him at CB over Lindelof and Rojo. We're also clearly holding off on sending Axel out on loan until we know if Bailly is going to be back any time soon.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'd be surprised if we sold him, especially if the Axel loan is true. Also given we have no luck whatsoever with our defenders injuries, there's every chance he'll be needed

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
No I wouldn't sell him. Doubt the club would do that as well..

Andy_Cole

Nope don't do it! Money means nothing these days and he's a great asset to have. Would generate how much? £30m? Who can we buy who is available who is better?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Feck off Arsene. He’s been trying to get him since he was at Fulham.

Top defender, and no incentive to go there for him.

‘Money or Failure’?

binary bot
He’s our most reliable defender currently, in terms of playing time and ability. No chance.

Member 5225

No worries about his brain freezes and awfulness on the ball?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's been good this season and gets OTT criticism. Ok he's not great on the ball but I'd say he's no worse than the likes of Jones. I'd rather keep him till the summer at least and I'd probably consider selling Jones before him. Smalling is our best aerial defender.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The best aerial player we have. Unless Alderweireld is joining us magically, it makes no sense to sell him now

villain

Hates Beyoncé
No worries about his brain freezes and awfulness on the ball?
He's awkward on the ball, he's not awful.

He looks far worse than he is, and he's no Maldini with his feet - but he was trained in the non-leagues, I don't think that surprises anyone quite frankly.

devips

This january nothing happens. In the summer, Rojo and Blind leave. Smalling stays. And causes heartburn in some of us.

settembrini

We have too many CBs and will need to sell a few at some point but Smalling is probably our best. Selling him to a rival but keeping the injury prone Jones and Bailly, the physically limited Blind and the so far disappointing Lindelof would make little sense.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can’t imagine we’d sell him, he’s had some brain farts this season but he’s been ever-present and very reliable. He’s also the best defender in the air we have, we genuinely need that sort of quality against certain teams. Hope we keep him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No chance. Mourinho isn’t dim.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Another swap for Özil?
Has to be Ozil and cash at the minimum. Unlike Mkhitaryan, Smalling features in our first team and his loss would actually be felt given how injury prone our defenders are.

E-mal

He's been good this season and gets OTT criticism. Ok he's not great on the ball but I'd say he's no worse than the likes of Jones. I'd rather keep him till the summer at least and I'd probably consider selling Jones before him. Smalling is our best aerial defender.
Jones is better on the ball mate, heck he us the worst of all our CBs on the ball.

TehRed

I'd rather give them Rojo. Smalling gets a lot of stick for his poor distribution, but he's very solid in the air and we don't have any really tall defenders with the aerial presence that Smalling has. He's useful when up against a big striker.

J_Red 11

I don't think it's a good idea unless if it's 50m plus. Smalling knows how to defend, Arsenal defenders don't know how to defend, we will only strengthened their defense which have been their main issue and weakened our defense by selling one of our regular centre back at the moment.

Steven Seagull

Disagree with almost everything here. He’s bigger than Jones so you’d expect spect him to be more dominant in the air.

Can’t see Jose entertaining this idea and can’t see Smalling wanting a move as he gets plenty of games.