Chris Sutton

Deleted member 101472

Fair call. I’ve mever heard him talk about Scottish football.
I'm the same with not really having heard him talk about english football, i'm guessing its the popularity of his work talking about the SPL thats got him noticed.

robinrooney

He's on absolutely everything as well. Every quote you see about everything is what Chris Sutton thinks.

I can't stand him, he was a very average player which makes it worse.
TBH, he was a better CB than the clowns we have now.

Deleted member 101472

Really?? Jesus. That's a damning indictment of the rest. I can't listen to the fecker.
I think you need to understand scottish football and the relaity of the old firm. He absolutely does, therefore it makes good viewing. Doesn't hide the fact that he's a celtic man, and always calls out people on their BS.

plus, he hates gerrard which should be respected.

Hughie77

The lot of them who call for this manager or that manager to get sacked, have not managed themselves, as for Sutton just another nob head who wants to jump on the bandwagon of Utds woes.
Didn't hear him spouting much when SAF was the boss.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He's one of the best pundits scottish football ever had. Not afraid to stick the boot in to celtic either.
He can talk a lot of shite in order to get a reaction. You're right that he'll turn on anyone, but he shields Celtic from much of his ultra-negative criticism.

That said, the pundit dynamic works well on BT Sport - there's a good energy between him and Stewart. Often you need that panto villain to get the debate going properly and he's happy to play up to it. It's a big contrast from a lot of the don't-offend-your-mates approach most ex-pros take that is more common in England.

Deleted member 101472

He can talk a lot of shite in order to get a reaction. You're right that he'll turn on anyone, but he shields Celtic from much of his ultra-negative criticism.

That said, the pundit dynamic works well on BT Sport - there's a good energy between him and Stewart. Often you need that panto villain to get the debate going properly and he's happy to play up to it. It's a big contrast from a lot of the don't-offend-your-mates approach most ex-pros take that is more common in England.
He does but at least he does it in a way that himself and every man and his dog knows he's talking shite. Far more watchable than the majority of pundits scottish football has ever had.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I think you need to understand scottish football and the relaity of the old firm. He absolutely does, therefore it makes good viewing. Doesn't hide the fact that he's a celtic man, and always calls out people on their BS.

plus, he hates gerrard which should be respected.

We'll, when you put it like that.

Offsideagain

He is the most smug, miserable ABU on the radio/TV. Team him with Liverpool supporter Alan fat boy Green, and you have an evening of crap even without the muppets drumming all night and another piss poor performance from the players.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He is infinity better than Robbie Savage.
Correction. Anybody is better than Robbie (I love myself) Savage.

Acole9

Outstanding
Always thought he looked more like a cricketer than a footballer.

BigRon1985

He is the worst pundit on television, as well as the biggest bore. Hate the guy. Average footballer, who thinks he is some great authority on football matters.

Instead of which manager is going to be sacked yet. I would much rather have fans discuss which useless pundit should be sacked, as unlike managers, nearly all of them wouldn't be any get loss if they were never heard of in the media again. I nominate Sutton, as he is a right dick as well as useless.
I’d say Jermaine Jeans is the worst pundit - I have know idea how he got a premium slot on MOTD as he sounds like he is making it up as he goes along. Sutton is not far off him though. Didn’t he have a tantrum as a player and quit the England national team because he was named in the B squad?

Melville Red

I’m not too fussed either way by the pundits, I normally just put the match on and turn off when it’s finished.
It’s the commentators that wind me up. Oh how I wish we could just go back to a Brian Moore, Motty and all the others who only had to say what they saw, didn’t have to scream like someone had grabbed them by the balls every time there was a shot at goal and didn’t have some one else yapping on all the time.
Glen Hoddle is hopefully on a very long holiday I wish him well but keep away from the bloody commentary boxes and all the rest of them, they really do spoil it.
And the way the main commentator on sky, I forget his name but he’s annoying always fecking shouting:
“AND ITS LIVE”. I know that you dick!

redshaw

What got me yesterday was on the BBC's live reporting just before the CL matches of PSG Liverpool, Spurs Inter and so on, they opened it with Sutton's Mourinho piece. I was like, give it a fecking rest, there's some key games tonight and he's peddling this crap.

Maticmaker

It's the smugness in Sutton's pronouncements that irritates, he knows precisely how he is coming over to the public and often he is poking fun at his pundit mates at the same time, some of them laugh it off, or stay silent. Robbie Savage however gets caught almost everytime.

Journeyman player trying to up his game in punditry!

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I really don't mind Sutton, i watch a lot of Scottish football and he generally comes across unbiased which is rare in Scotland with the old firm rivallry. I bit of a dick at times but rather him than most other co commentators i've heard.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
From the start of today's game he was bloody salivating. Constantly shat on us. Worse than watching the game was having to listen to him for 90 minutes.

cyberman

From the start of today's game he was bloody salivating. Constantly shat on us. Worse than watching the game was having to listen to him for 90 minutes.
Why wouldn't he? He has our rivals laughing at us plus a large portion of our fanbase buys into that nonsense as well

lsd

The Oracle
:lol: seriously having a go at Sutton for a performance as dismal as that from us?

This is seriously small time

Hughie77

I pulled my ear piece out couldn't listen to the git. Poor night all round

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Watched BT Sport Score or whatever it was called about 2 years ago and had to turn it off after 5 mins because he was so obvious in his hatred of us to an extent I've never seen from any pundit before. Having Steve McManaman And Graeme Souness commentate on the match tonight would have been more palatable honestly :lol:

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I like him. He was incredibly fair on the foul being given on ours and how the first should have been ruled out.

Pablo76

Annoying prick.

Wanking himself off over Jagielka all night.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t think he even hates us, I just think he comes across as a right smug prick

Tarrou

was alright today in fairness

I don't think he particularly hates United, he's just a bit of a knob

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
He was taking delight in our loss. He was framing it as a season defining moment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He was taking delight in our loss. He was framing it as a season defining moment.
Yeah think it was him that said "could this be the game that derails United's season?". Obvious narrative he was trying to push.

Hughes35

Guys clearly a prick but I don't think he really said much wrong yesterday.

I can't stand him in general though.

lsd

The Oracle
Annoying prick.

Deservedly so considering his performance to that of our players.

I don't get why we have to hate on Sutton when we played the worst football I have seen is play for a long time.

Hate on the players who disgraced the shirt last night not on a guy who had to watch them.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Annoying prick.

It wasn't just Jagielka. Every SU player was amazing. They were organised but nothing special and were helped out by some poor reffing. Sutton was gushing over them.

AFC NimbleThumb

Was far better than Jenas on Sunday.

Had we won & he been so effusive about their players then you’d have a point but they were better to a man last night.

Zoo

Sutton is always on 5Live and usually he’s the one who defends Ole and has backed United to fight for the title. He must have been felt very let down yesterday, there’s no getting away from the performance and result.

Last edited:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I actually warmed to him last night. I thought he was extremely fair and honest in his assessment of the game. I came away from it thinking he's the best BT co-commentator I've heard this season, not a high bar admittedly with McManaman, Savage and Keown as rivals

tomaldinho1

I like him. He was incredibly fair on the foul being given on ours and how the first should have been ruled out.
I actually agree re last night. When he's on that panel they used to do (pre covid memories) he's just an obnoxious twat but last night he was about as fair a pundit as I've heard in ages. Usually I hate him but he was right for the keeper incidents and also generally ok through the game, even offering some insights into the players he knew from SHU as well.