Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Putting him back in our midfield isn't going to make the difference some think it is. That's Casemiro.
Will make a big difference if he can play last 20-30mins, but from the start I generally agree.
We did well in his absence, better than I expected but it's great to have him back as am option.

croadyman

Will make a big difference if he can play last 20-30mins, but from the start I generally agree.
We did well in his absence, better than I expected but it's great to have him back as am option.
Absolutely it is

Irwin99

There were some arguments on here that in certain games he was too 'lightweight' for the midfield and maybe in the biggest games that's true but I think we've played our best football with him in the team this season. Casemiro and him have been the best combination we've had and it'll be great to have him back.

Marwood

Good news he is back but i fear a few of you are doing the usual trick of building our players up whilst they are out injured. Eriksen is a great passer but he is lightweight and bypassed easily. We've got quite an easy run in with teams that should suit him but he would not have done us much good against Newcastle and i'd rather keep Casemiro and Fred against the better midfields in the league.
Never should Fred be preferred to start ahead of Eriksen.

This is the kind of problem that's plagued us for years. A preference for runners over footballers.

Andersons Dietician

Putting him back in our midfield isn't going to make the difference some think it is. That's Casemiro.
True Casemiro is the more important player to us as a whole but feel like some under appreciate the impact Eriksen also provided us. He’s been out for 2 months and still has the most assists for us in the premier league and is currently sitting 4th on 7. He adds far better passing and control to us.

I don’t think he will have as much of a transformative affect as Casemiro would have but we should improve. I read yesterday that Sabitzer is yet to start a game with Casemiro but I’d be interested to see Sabitzer, Eriksen and Cas as a midfield trio.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Our top assister isn’t going to make the difference we think?

This is the kind of problem that's plagued us for years. A preference for runners over footballers.
Depends on the opponent. Eriksen is the man for the weaker teams where we can control the ball, otherwise its Fred. That's what ETH was settling for before the injury.

Marwood

Depends on the opponent. Eriksen is the man for the weaker teams where we can control the ball, otherwise its Fred. That's what ETH was settling for before the injury.
Not sure that's true. He was playing non stop before his injury wasn't he? Played against City and Arsenal in his last three league games before injury.

But how do you get control of the ball against better opposition? You play your best passers. You don't give up all notion of having the ball and go for the runners. Not if you're United. This is what we've beem doing for the last decade and its been embarrassing at times to watch.

Eriksen isn't perfect. A couple of yards too slow and not the strongest but United have to have ball players in CM. All big clubs should.

gajender

When did it happen you are imagining things and once Eriksen is up to speed he would start all the big games alongside Casemiro and rightfully so .

Cassidy

Really? Which strong team did Fred play against ahead of Eriksen?

Chief123

You are literally just making this up dude. Eriksen played in every single premier league game until he got injured except for back to back games against Newcastle and Spurs where he was out due to illness.

I’m not sure who you class as “weaker” teams. Eriksen played home and away against Arsenal and Man City. The 2 toughest teams in the league this season. When he’s fit he was one of the first names on the team sheet regardless of the opponent.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Spurs, our best game of the season. Man City home we played both.
So not City then since Eriksen played… so basically one game. Vs City, Arsenal twice, Chelsea, Liverpool… One game…

Chief123

So not City then since Eriksen played… so basically one game. Vs City, Arsenal twice, Chelsea, Liverpool… One game…
Eriksen would have played in both Newcastle and Spurs games ahead of Fred if it wasn’t for illness. ETH confirmed that was the reason he was out.

So basically I’ve got no bloody clue what point is trying to be made here.

3KDré

If we had played Eriksen deep instead of Fred (who marked KDB out of the game) we would not have won. Fred is definitely a good tool to have against the bigger teams. I think ideally we buy a midfielder we can control games with both against big and small teams.

Cassidy

If we had played Eriksen deep instead of Fred (who marked KDB out of the game) we would not have won. Fred is definitely a good tool to have against the bigger teams. I think ideally we buy a midfielder we can control games with both against big and small teams.
You’re making no sense. The op was wrong, Eriksen was never dropped for the bigger games, let it go

Cassidy

Eriksen would have played in both Newcastle and Spurs games ahead of Fred if it wasn’t for illness. ETH confirmed that was the reason he was out.

So basically I’ve got no bloody clue what point is trying to be made here.
Same, clueless

3KDré

You’re making no sense. The op was wrong, Eriksen was never dropped for the bigger games, let it go
Not sure how I'm not making sense. I didn't even read what the op said. I am saying in certain big games Fred is a useful tool to have. Clearly Ten Hag also thinks the same as in the City game he would have opted for Eriksen to mark KDB if he could do it - but evidently he can't.

croadyman

Yeah definitely need a CM who can have that controlling influence no matter the opponent

buckooo1978

Spurs and City it was Fred and Casemiro as the midfield pairing, with Eriksen moved further up.
Fred basically was Man to Man on De Bruyne in this game. Not sure you could tie him to a structural position when he was De Bruyne's shadow

Cassidy

Not sure how I'm not making sense. I didn't even read what the op said. I am saying in certain big games Fred is a useful tool to have. Clearly Ten Hag also thinks the same as in the City game he would have opted for Eriksen to mark KDB if he could do it - but evidently he can't.
Yes he is. Maybe you should follow the conversation next time then as I never said Fred wasn’t useful

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
So glad he’s back. Hopefully we score more goals now and his creativity should help us.

So he didn't play ahead of Eriksen then
That's not what I said is it. I said in tougher games ETH puts Fred in next to Casemiro, that's not the same as saying Eriksen can't play somewhere else on the pitch.

Cassidy

That's not what I said is it. I said in tougher games ETH puts Fred in next to Casemiro, that's not the same as saying Eriksen can't play somewhere else on the pitch.

To top it off there is very little evidence to back up the claim that is what ETH was settling for prior to the injury

klayton88

Feel like a new signing at this stage of the season. Glad he's back in the squad.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

This is very unfair to Fred, who has been quite decent to good usually this season. Eriksen, although much better on the ball, gets outrun very easily and we've seen this happen multiple times this season especially in second half when there's more space on the pitch and Eriksen couldn't keep up. Fred, not as good on the ball but creates more turn overs

Eriksen has been one of the best transfers recently but he has some limitations. We've actually done very well in his absence, that also shows Fred can do a job when called and paired with Casemiro.

I prefer watching Eriksen play football but I think in tough games we look more balanced with Fred. Ideally both should be splitting game time equally I think.

Baneofthegame

This is very unfair to Fred, who has been quite decent to good usually this season. Eriksen, although much better on the ball, gets outrun very easily and we've seen this happen multiple times this season especially in second half when there's more space on the pitch and Eriksen couldn't keep up. Fred, not as good on the ball but creates more turn overs

Eriksen has been one of the best transfers recently but he has some limitations. We've actually done very well in his absence, that also shows Fred can do a job when called and paired with Casemiro.

I prefer watching Eriksen play football but I think in tough games we look more balanced with Fred. Ideally both should be splitting game time equally I think.
I feel like Eriksen starting and Fred taking over in the second half will be best going forward assuming he's fit (CE).

Lights Out

I thought he was absolute quality when he came on today. So comfortable on the ball and I don’t think he put a foot wrong.
A different class and polar opposite to Fred’s performance.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
So glad he’s back. Looked like he was never away.

Status
Not open for further replies.