Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That's a good thing though as it'll just help work ourselves into a shoot.... ing scenario brother.
Goodnight HULKAMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks
Haven’t noticed it yet, but I’ll pay special attention next game. My initial impression was he’s a bit better with ball retention than Fernandes, and slightly less hero-balling.
That's fair. He's not as bad as Bruno in regards to both, but he's still bad, imo. It's what separates them from top tier attacking midfielders to me. AMs who can turn under pressure and carry the ball/dribble. That's why they rely on Hollywood Hulk Hogan ball.
Ok I think you've convinced me to have a closer look. My takeaway from the last game was that there was he was 10x better than Fred when he went into that deeper role and played passes forward under pressure many times. Big part of the reason Brighton couldn't press us that well in the second half.
Couple of things:

He was better than Fred, but that doesn't mean he was good. He was just, well, less bad. Secondly, I think Brightons decision to sit deep was a self made decision. I don't think we pinned them back at all.
Oh and that's just not true... He played 5 backwards passes in his own half during the entirity of the second half.

There was one moment towards the end where were weren't moving the ball up the pitch quick enough, but the movement was absolutely rubbish by that point so that didn't help.
I can't bring myself to look at that game again but it was bad on Eriksen's behalf.

That's the point I'm making in regards to press resistant players, though. Even with bad movement, they effect games because they can shield the ball, turn and dribble/carry the ball. We have no one in the first team capable of this.

We have a few cms in the academy who excel at this in Galbraith, Iqbal, etc, but there's no chance of them starting.

criticalanalysis

Completely disagree. Said it for years - Eriksen is a weak play who plays Hollywood Hulk Hogan ball. Same as Bruno.

I never rated him at Spurs either. Poch worked wonders there. Dembele, Son and Kane were the only good players he had.

Again, I completely disagree. He was terrible. As I expected him to be.

There was a moment in the second half when we were pushing for the equaliser. Maguire and Martinez kept passing him the ball but he REFUSED to turn with it and kept passing it back because he himself knows he's weak under pressure.

Well, he wasted so much time that when he got the ball again, Maguire and Martinez were marked as it allowed Brighton time to push up and he just hoofed it. Guess what? Hoofed it straight to a Brighton player and we were under pressure immediately.

Regarding the first team, we have one player in the midfield and attack who is somewhat decent under pressure in Martial, and he was out. Our squad is terrible under pressure. Frenkie de Jong is a must.
I thought I was in the Lindelof thread for a second.

Holy moly what a hot take. I've got nothing new to add other than what most people are saying. Bad first half and much better in the second half where he was playing some good passes. Some over exuberant, forcing the issue stuff but it was trying to move the ball along as fast as possible; considering we was losing, it was at least understandable. Brighton had dropped off significantly though so he had a lot more time on the ball. I personally wouldn't call him 'press resistant' i.e back to goal in the opposition third half of the pitch with someone nipping at his heels. However, in those 5 yard pockets of spaces elsewhere in the middle of the pitch or our own half, I think he has good awareness and will always try to play a good pass and move rather than dailly (unless it was a very low probability situation).

Just found these, which sort of confirm what I had thought of his game.

I wouldn't call it a vintage game from him but I do think you are being overly harsh based on your expectations on him. He's a smart player and will play well once/if (?) we sort out the deepest/defensive midfielder issue.

You've set your hill anyways so maybe you may want to revisit this a month or two.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Holy moly what a hot take. I've got nothing new to add other than what most people are saying. Bad first half and much better in the second half where he was playing some good passes. Some over exuberant, forcing the issue stuff but it was trying to move the ball along as fast as possible; considering we was losing, it was at least understandable. Brighton had dropped off significantly though so he had a lot more time on the ball. I personally wouldn't call him 'press resistant' i.e back to goal in the opposition third half of the pitch with someone nipping at his heels but in 5 yard pockets of spaces elsewhere in the middle of the pitch or our own half, I think he has good awareness and will always try to get a good pass and move rather than dailly (unless it was a very low probability situation).

I wouldn't call it a vintage game from him but I do think you are being overly harsh based on your expectations on him. He's a smart player and will play well once/if (?) we sort out the deepest/defensive midfielder issue.

You've set your hill anyways so maybe you may want to revisit this a month or two.
He made some mistakes but was our best player in midfield/ attack and it was refreshing to have someone there with time on the ball and genuinely good passing ability.

Needs more similar players around him though.

criticalanalysis

He made some mistakes but was our best player in midfield/ attack and it was refreshing to have someone there with time on the ball and genuinely good passing ability.

Needs more similar players around him though.
Yeah, I'm not concerned about his quality and ability. It's just where and how he fits. We are too porous defensively in transition.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Holy moly what a hot take. I've got nothing new to add other than what most people are saying. Bad first half and much better in the second half where he was playing some good passes. Some over exuberant, forcing the issue stuff but it was trying to move the ball along as fast as possible; considering we was losing, it was at least understandable. Brighton had dropped off significantly though so he had a lot more time on the ball. I personally wouldn't call him 'press resistant' i.e back to goal in the opposition third half of the pitch with someone nipping at his heels. However, in those 5 yard pockets of spaces elsewhere in the middle of the pitch or our own half, I think he has good awareness and will always try to play a good pass and move rather than dailly (unless it was a very low probability situation).

"Making midfield look easy" is the title of a video where he gives the ball away 75% of the time.

There's no need to revisit my opinion. I've held the same opinion for like a decade now. He's a good mid table 10. If you want to be a top team, he plays no part because he's too weak. Inter Milan found that out and so will we.

amolbhatia50k

"Making midfield look easy" is the title of a video where he gives the ball away 75% of the time.

There's no need to revisit my opinion. I've held the same opinion for like a decade now. He's a good mid table 10. If you want to be a top team, he plays no part because he's too weak. Inter Milan found that out and so will we.
Didn't Spurs finish top 4 a few times with him? That's our goal these next couple of years. Being a top team is a distant dream.

criticalanalysis

That video title is as insightful as your take on his game tbh. Neither of us have to be right, which is fine. I think most if not all just want to see him play good for Utd and contribute.

I don't 'expect' us to be a top team because not one player will do that right now. It's more on ETH and how he gets the players playing. From the squad, I think Eriksen has the tools to contribute to that in a progressive way.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Didn't Spurs finish top 4 a few times with him? That's our goal these next couple of years. Being a top team is a distant dream.
Yep. Poch did brilliantly. Also, the top 4 is much harder to achieve now. Eriksen is not going to help us catch up/keep up with Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham. Never mind City and Liverpool.

That video title is as insightful as your take on his game tbh. Neither of us have to be right, which is fine. I think most if not all just want to see him play good for Utd and contribute.

I don't 'expect' us to be a top team because not one player will do that right now. It's more on ETH and how he gets the players playing. From the squad, I think Eriksen has the tools to contribute to that in a progressive way.
Well you're the one taking exception to my opinion on him.

I stand by my opinion. Eriksen is yet another step in the wrong direction. Another lightweight player whose best years, which weren't even that good, behind him. The odd good performance, pass, goal won't change that.

amolbhatia50k

Yep. Poch did brilliantly. Also, the top 4 is much harder to achieve now. Eriksen is not going to help us catch up/keep up with Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham. Never mind City and Liverpool.
He will. He'd help Arsenals chances of top 4 as well. But he has to he just a piece of the puzzle rather one in a mess.

talking robot

A midfield three of Eriksen, Rabiot, and Bruno would be a clear improvement on McTominay, Fred, Bruno, particularly against mid table teams. Eriksen and Rabiot upgrade us on game control, technical ability, and passing in attacking phases. As a duo, I'd expect them to be more defensively solid as well, simply due to positional intelligence and awareness, which McFred sorely lack.

Godfather

A midfield three of Eriksen, Rabiot, and Bruno would be a clear improvement on McTominay, Fred, Bruno, particularly against mid table teams. Eriksen and Rabiot upgrade us on game control, technical ability, and passing in attacking phases. As a duo, I'd expect them to be more defensively solid as well, simply due to positional intelligence and awareness, which McFred sorely lack.
That's some underwhelming midfield

Lyng

I stand by my opinion. Eriksen is yet another step in the wrong direction. Another lightweight player whose best years, which weren't even that good, behind him. The odd good performance, pass, goal won't change that.
Arent you a fan of Maguire?

ROFLUTION

What you're doing is putting way too much personal-pride into your debate about Eriksen. Now you have slanted him and gone after every poster who disagree with you after just 1 game with Eriksen and now you can't back out due to personal honor in the debate.

So in the future, this thread, even after great games from him, will have you saying he just did "OK" but we don't really need him in the squad. Or "OK, he did great in this one game, but what about the remaning ones?!"

How about not judging the player on 1 game? How about not judging him on 1 bad season at Inter when he's had 10 good seasons before that? How about just see if it goes well or not?

phelans shorts

What you're doing is putting way too much personal-pride into your debate about Eriksen. Now you have slanted him and gone after every poster who disagree with you after just 1 game with Eriksen and now you can't back out due to personal honor in the debate.

So in the future, this thread, even after great games from him, will have you saying he just did "OK" but we don't really need him in the squad. Or "OK, he did great in this one game, but what about the remaning ones?!"

How about not judging the player on 1 game? How about not judging him on 1 bad season at Inter when he's had 10 good seasons before that? How about just see if it goes well or not?
He had a bad year/18 months before leaving Spurs too. He had more consistently poor seasons than good ones in the last 5/6 years. In fact if he has a poor season this season the numbers would probably skew more bad seasons than good in the last decade.

I do hope he does well, but it’s not unfair for folk to have a worry about this move.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He had a bad year/18 months before leaving Spurs too. He had more consistently poor seasons than good ones in the last 5/6 years. In fact if he has a poor season this season the numbers would probably skew more bad seasons than good in the last decade.

I do hope he does well, but it’s not unfair for folk to have a worry about this move.
He didn't fit in at Inter to start with, but was by all accounts integral in the final half a year leading up to their title win. Then he had his incident and then he had a good few months with Brentford.

He's had feck all preseason, played 90 minutes against Brighton where he looked alright when actually playing in midfield. I honestly can't understand why we're so ready to look for mistakes by Eriksen and Martinez when they've barely been with the squad for three weeks.

phelans shorts

He didn't fit in at Inter to start with, but was by all accounts integral in the final half a year leading up to their title win. Then he had his incident and then he had a good few months with Brentford.

He's had feck all preseason, played 90 minutes against Brighton where he looked alright when actually playing in midfield. I honestly can't understand why we're so ready to look for mistakes by Eriksen and Martinez when they've barely been with the squad for three weeks.
I was worried by this deal before signing, and I’ve not even said anything about the game at weekend because while I wasn’t impressed, I recognise the factors at play. I really hope he does light it up and my worries were unfounded, I just found that posters insistence that he’s had a singular poor season in the last decade to be very disingenuous.

Mr PG

Eriksen on a free was a no brainer. Brilliant option who can play a few positions. People are deluded and don’t realize our budget is really small(we’re carrying millions of losses from previous mismanagement). We need to walk before we can run and Eriksen was a step in the right direction.

Mr PG

Our squad is totally broken with square pegs into round holes everywhere all bought by different managers who bought players without a specific plan. Eriksen will be a much better option than Bruno when we play the top 6.
With us needing 10 players and only likely to get 6 or 5, Eriksen on a free adds a lot of creativity as well as positive influence in the dressing room and frees upfront funds to concentrate on elsewhere.
Even if he was only good enough for the bench he’s still a brilliant acquisition.

JB7

I’m absolutely baffled by some of what I’m reading about Eriksen here.
You're not surely. You know that one poor half playing out of position followed by a decent half playing deeper means he's finished. And that he wasn't even very good before he was finished.

Grande

I completely disagree with your summary.

It’s fair to worry, although people who needs to share their worries all the time are very tedious and seldom productive. No reason to twist a story with a negative slant to justify your worries, though.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He's literally just replying to the people who quoted him after he gave his opinion

amolbhatia50k

He's not used to playing DLP but the pass for the second was awful.

lex talionis

Wasn’t poor, but got mentally bullied. Definitely not his fault for the second goal. Horrible decision by De Gea to give him that ball.

Lyng

Wasn’t poor, but got mentally bullied. Definitely not his fault for the second goal. Horrible decision by De Gea to give him that ball.
Brain-dead. Eriksen pulls a player so De Gea can play it long. But our "world class" keeper doesn't understand basic tactics

el3mel

I have nothing against him but it's ridiculous we seem to bet the entire season on him to save our arses. Also ridiculous we seem to play him in every position bar the one he can be useful in.

Bench the feck out of Bruno and put Eriksen as number 10.

Arth_

He forgot he wasn't playing for Brentford anymore in the first half. Awful display. But also braindead decision by Ten Hag to play him so deep.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Was hopeful for him as the deep midfielder given our options, but yeah. That didn't really work. :(

I do think he was sold down the river by being given the ball where he was under pressure, though.

The United

He played better in second half, of course.

But, everyone thought Fred would play the deepest. ETH has no freaking clue with how the teams are playing in EPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.