2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Ace of Spades

That injury seems to have affected him greatly. Before he only got tired at the 60-70 mark, now he looks tired from the start of the games.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Playing him against opposition that has runners in midfield means we're effectively playing with 10 men.

The problem is he's not exactly a perfect squad player. He's an option against bottom 10 when we're playing at home.

Judas

Open to offers
He will not be a starter so I am not worried
Basically this. I'm not even factoring this fella into our starting team anymore, more like how Mata was used in the past. He's looked cooked since he came back, and with everything he's been through it's not a huge surprise. Hopefully we can get a few positive performances out of him this season, and we don't end up needing to rely on him.

CloneMC16

He'll probably be this year's scapegoat.
He wont, because he will barely start.

If we're signing Amrabat, he has gone down the pecking order a lot. I assume he will be behind Mount, Amrabat, and Bruno. Maybe even Mainoo if ETH thinks he's ready.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Fin, finito, finalizado!

Ps - I didn't see the match v Madrid, just jumping to conclusions

Real Name

He wont, because he will barely start.

If we're signing Amrabat, he has gone down the pecking order a lot. I assume he will be behind Mount, Amrabat, and Bruno. Maybe even Mainoo if ETH thinks he's ready.
When he'll start he'll be a scapegoat. Was already one last season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He won't be a scapegoat because everyone knows his limitations in terms of physicality. I do think ETH is wrong to keep playing him in midfield two but maybe we just need more options, not sure as he's been adamant about it so far.

AndySmith1990

Care to elaborate?
Scapegoat would mean he's being blamed for the mistakes or poor performances of others in the team. Such as its his fault Onana didn't save a shot. Or its his fault Mount missed a sitter. That's not the case. He's rightly being criticised for own own shit performance and his own failures

Real Name

Scapegoat would mean he's being blamed for the mistakes or poor performances of others in the team. Such as its his fault Onana didn't save a shot. Or its his fault Mount missed a sitter. That's not the case. He's rightly being criticised for own own shit performance and his own failures
I think we wont agree on this one. Same with @VP89. Cheers.

sugar_kane

Not caught up with the game yet but he’s looked out of shape since he came back from injury. He seemed to age about five years during his absence.

Dannn411

Sounds like it is. He was hardly ever a "scapegoat" last season. Was rightly critiqued when his form dropped post injury.
Some people on here want you to never ever criticize any player ever. We must always think they are playing well even if they aren't. Some real ministry of truth stuff on here.

Real Name

Some people on here want you to never ever criticize any player ever. We must always think they are playing well even if they aren't. Some real ministry of truth stuff on here.
I think you completely nailed that one.

Kag

We need to manage him well in order to get the best out of him. To do that, we need to buy another midfielder to play in that deeper area.

When we’re playing the likes of Luton at home, or when we’re in need of some more creativity in a second half, then we’ll see the best of him. But telling him to sit alongside Casemiro against the likes of Liverpool or Arsenal is only going to go one way.

Glorio

In honesty his mobility and ability to compete physically have been lacking since he joined us. The effect is much more visible against teams who try to take the game to us. He rarely comes out of any 50/50 as the winner (be keen to see his duel stats)

However, I feel like the games where the opposition sits off us are the games where he really shines.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I find it frustrating that this was obvious as soon as maybe November last year. Just playing and playing and playing him as he was clearly tiring sooner and sooner was a recipe for disaster. He got incrementally more knackered as the season went on, going from being good for 70 to 60 to a half.

There was nothing sage or prescient about pointing it out either as it was clear as day.

Can't say whether the Carroll incident was the death knell, or even whether he's actually further worsened this season as it's too soon, but you wouldn't be surprised. If it is indeed the case, he can't come into games in central midfield. You put players out to pasture on a flank or in AM, not the engine room of your team, so we had better hope it's not the case that he's cooked because he seems more likely to be played in midfield than attack.

Hopefully it's a non-issue and just preseason blues and kinks, or even him playing within himself.

Hopeium, for all your coping strategies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Basically this. I'm not even factoring this fella into our starting team anymore, more like how Mata was used in the past. He's looked cooked since he came back, and with everything he's been through it's not a huge surprise. Hopefully we can get a few positive performances out of him this season, and we don't end up needing to rely on him.
His role will most likely be come on at a later stage when we need a goal or against weak opponents. It is clear that he cannot start games week in week out anymore

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He'll be handy in slower paced European games. There are a lot of games this season and Eriksen will definitely have his uses. He was brilliant before the injury last season, and I think he may have been rushed back slightly - we didn't expect to see him back until this season originally.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not a big deal as it's an issue have partially already addressed and may well address further. As is his isn't in our starting eleven and if we sign someone like Amrabat, the need to play him in tougher games (it was Real Madrid yesterday) decreases even further.

It just highlights why those midfield signings were/are needed.

We can still happily get a lot out of him by using him more selectively.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There were fans falling over themselves calling him class last season. Best thing working for him is that he was replacing Mcfred and a perma crock in Pogba. He just needed to be fit and offer a decent passing range and he was a massive upgrade.

He is cooked physically and should not even make matchday squads against teams looking to take the game to us.
He was class at the start of the season. Unfortunately he just got progressively worse as the season wore on, and that accelerated significantly after his injury.

The hope is that this is just a preseason game so isn't a proper representation of what he's capable of, and that by him being only a squad player now he'll be able to keep it up instead of being run into the ground. We won't know for certain for a few months whether that's the case of whether he is actually done at the top level.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'd only claim ten Hag keeps playing him if he starts the first few league matches.

As for now everyone is getting minutes according to their readiness. I believe we'll see a midfield of Casemiro, Mount and Bruno for the first few games with Eriksen getting 20 minutes if necessary. Amrabat looks likely so Eriksen may see fewer minutes anyway

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd only claim ten Hag keeps playing him if he starts the first few league matches.

As for now everyone is getting minutes according to their readiness. I believe we'll see a midfield of Casemiro, Mount and Bruno for the first few games with Eriksen getting 20 minutes if necessary. Amrabat looks likely so Eriksen may see fewer minutes anyway
A problem looming is him being targeted all game by anyone we play. It's an easy method to get at us and have him overwork the little bit of an engine he has left - just run him over and over. Not only will he be spent in half the time, teammates have to cover for him and that invariably leads to holes where they've vacated.

It's quite precarious to play him in midfield if he is really not up for it anymore, even as a sub.

El Jefe

He was class at the start of the season. Unfortunately he just got progressively worse as the season wore on, and that accelerated significantly after his injury.

The hope is that this is just a preseason game so isn't a proper representation of what he's capable of, and that by him being only a squad player now he'll be able to keep it up instead of being run into the ground. We won't know for certain for a few months whether that's the case of whether he is actually done at the top level.
I don't think he was he just had key moments of class within games. We were getting dominated after the first 20-30mins of every game at the start of last sesson. His good moments came within those periods and we basically sat back and struggled to put passes together after.

Its only when Casemiro started playing games from the start that things changed. Our best form of the sesson came with Eriksen out IMO. He did contribute positively to us last sesson and made a difference but I often thought his early form was exaggerated. Going forward he just doesn't have the physicality or speed to play our style or against teams taking the game to us.

E-mal

I don't think he is good enough anymore. He is physical not up to it at all.

How long is his contract again?

Gandalf

I don't think he is good enough anymore. He is physical not up to it at all.

How long is his contract again?
3 years initially, not sure if he has the usual +1 option that we tend to include so right now he is out of contract in 2025. Probably be a squad player this year and then off to Saudi/MLS next summer for a small fee and a big wage.

The United

His long-range passing is an asset, but he has not seemed to do that much since the turn of this year. Without that, it is hard to justify starting him. He is absolutely not reliable for any kind of defense, which is a big issue with the position he plays.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
What the feck is going on with this guy? Was close to best player in the league for Spurs. Don't understand how he could have got so bad. Can't even pick out ten yard passes like WTF?!!!!

Eddy_JukeZ

What the feck is going on with this guy? Was close to best player in the league for Spurs. Don't understand how he could have got so bad. Can't even pick out ten yard passes like WTF?!!!!
I mean, he did have a pretty traumatic event happen to him.

It's a miracle he's still even playing football.