Christian Eriksen | Man Utd player

We need an rvn

I'm a bit perplexed, he was good at Spurs but I never felt like he was a must-have type of player. Haven't really watched him much at Brentford.
Any addition is welcome at this stage I'd say
He's a deep-ish lying playmaker who also plays as an attacking midfielder. His stats might not look great in terms of goals / assists but he makes play happen and distribution is brilliant. If you could count "second" assists (ie passes that lead to assists) he might get more credit

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's a deep-ish lying playmaker who also plays as an attacking midfielder. His stats might not look great in terms of goals / assists but he makes play happen and distribution is brilliant. If you could count "second" assists (ie passes that lead to assists) he might get more credit
Tbh, I never looked at him through stats when he was at his best. I guess I will ample opportunities to properly assess him now

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
It's gonna be great to see us pass a ball forward with purpose with Martinez and Eriksen compared to how painful its been watching our slow ponderous build up for the last number of years. Even more slick if we ever get De Jong over the line. The quick players in attack are going to love it

We need an rvn

Tbh, I never looked at him through stats when he was at his best. I guess I will ample opportunities to properly assess him now
I think it might also give Bruno a little kick on the backside if he's not performing as he has proper competition now (i don't see them playing in the same team unless you play one of them out of position)

Dante

Average bang
For reference, this was Eriksen's heatmap for Brentford.

And by way of comparison, here's Bruno's.

Bruno seems slightly more attacking. But that's mostly to do with United spending more time higher up the pitch than Brentford.

Overall, Eriksen was getting into similar positions to Bruno. And both spent more time last season in the opposition half. Though as I said previously, I think he'd be quite suited to conversion into a DLP because of how well he protects the ball. A bit like Scholes, Pirlo and Modric all did part way through their careers. We'll have to wait and see what EtH has in mind for him.

Blood Mage

It's great that we've signed Erik's son, hopefully he can play as well as his dad can coach :drool:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For reference, this was Eriksen's heatmap for Brentford.

And by way of comparison, here's Bruno's.

Bruno seems slightly more attacking. But that's mostly to do with United spending more time higher up the pitch than Brentford.

Overall, Eriksen was getting into similar positions to Bruno and spent most of his time last season in the opposition half. Though as I said previously, I think he'd be quite suited to conversion into a DLP because of how well he protects the ball. A bit like Scholes, Pirlo and Modric all did part way through their careers. We'll have to wait and see what EtH has in mind for him.
I think generally we'll see Frenkie and Eriksen together, Frenkie starting right from the back and working his way up on one side, while Eriksen starting more in the middle third and working his way up in the other side of the pitch. My guess is also a guy like Fred or McTominay in midfield to be a ball winner around them. Bruno in the attacking third to have the freedom to create. But like you say, Eriksen probably has the capability to either fill in for Frenkie in that system and we move Bruno deeper, or fill in for Bruno more advanced, or just use all 3 together. There will be enough games to go around, and 2 of those 3 will always play if not all 3 being together.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Love this signing. A proper baller.

Hopefully the team can play to his strengths. But it's not a certainty.

Our fullbacks can't/won't run into space, and our attackers are not great at it either.

Would be a shame we waste his talent for those long pinpoint passes.

Blood Mage

Love this signing. A proper baller.

Hopefully the team can play to his strengths. But it's not a certainty.

Our fullbacks can't/won't run into space, and our attackers are not great at it either.

Would be a shame we waste his talent for those long pinpoint passes.
That's where coaching comes into play is it not? Our movement is already showing signs of improvement in the pre-season games and will hopefully only get better.

DevTheRed

Absolutely buzzing for this. We’ve had years of players who aren’t particularly great passers and now we’ve got the likes of Martinez, Bruno, Eriksen, Sancho and hopefully FDJ.. so much more ability compared to what we’ve had in recent years.

tomaldinho1

Stats might not look great…he got 20 goals and assists for 4/5 his last 5 seasons with Spurs. 15 assists and then 16 assists in two of those seasons. That’s only PL as well.

Great cover player, should also do a job at CM. Has he still got it, I’m not sure he can hit that level again but let’s see!

AgentP

We need players who are good on the ball in midfield. We had too many seasons with mediocre midfielders struggling to even make simple passes. So this is a welcome addition to the squad!

We need an rvn

Stats might not look great…he got 20 goals and assists for 4/5 his last 5 seasons with Spurs. 15 assists and then 16 assists in two of those seasons. That’s only PL as well.

Great cover player, should also do a job at CM. Has he still got it, I’m not sure he can hit that level again but let’s see!
5 seasons at spurs 237 matches, 52 goals and 71 assists (give or take a few), that’s not 20 goals and assists per season (unless you mean goals and assists combined)

his season at inter wasn’t fantastic with 4 goals and 2 assists ( but he did struggle initially under a different manager and came alive with a new one). Given he knows eth I’m sure we’ll see theplayer who will thrive

looking forward to seeing what he can do but defo some decent competition for bruno

Toblerone92

He doesn’t have an ego that won’t fit through the door so a shrewd signing in my view. Doesn’t care about being the centre of attention and is widely underrated by many. Excited to see what he can bring.

Chairman Steve

Almost three years after it was discussed, it happened. This was when Poch was staring down the sack at Spurs and Eriksen was looking elsewhere to go and wasn’t playing that well.

tomaldinho1

5 seasons at spurs 237 matches, 52 goals and 71 assists (give or take a few), that’s not 20 goals and assists per season (unless you mean goals and assists combined)

his season at inter wasn’t fantastic with 4 goals and 2 assists ( but he did struggle initially under a different manager and came alive with a new one). Given he knows eth I’m sure we’ll see theplayer who will thrive

looking forward to seeing what he can do but defo some decent competition for bruno
Might want to check those numbers…

Spurs PL.
13/14. 7G 9A
14/15. 10G 2 A
15/16. 6G 15A
16/17. 8G 16A
17/18. 10G 11A
18/19. 8G 12A
19/20. 2G 2A

As I said 4/5 of his last 5 seasons. And that’s because Mou never played him consistently in the last one.

jesperjaap

Seems a good guy and a good pro and a good player....so was Juan Mata

Am I the only one a little perplexed abotu him as a signing.

Deel Lying PLay Maker.....we are trying to sign DeJOng

Box to box player - That is most of our midfielders

Number 10 - We have options

I thought he was a good player but not a great one at Spurs like many seemed to, comparing him to Scholes and Modric when he istn in the same ball park. He was average/decent at Inter and it was a short spell where he did well at Brentford.

Yes he is fee so little outlay but does he really improve our first eleven. SO far him and Malacia, provide competition and may well end up starting....but even with the contract leavers, we have a big squad, we dont have a great first eleven.

Still cant beleive we are not looking at a proper central midfielder that is defensively sound. Can talk about pressing as a team, formations etc etc but until we have somone like that added to the team, i think we get over ran on the break especially and especially down or right hand side as things stand.

Scholes may have been converted as a deep plying play maker...but he had Keane alongisde him before and early on there and later on he still had Carrick who though not a proper tackler, was defensively sound in his positioning, reading the game and getting his body between the ball and player in his latter years.

Good player but I really dont see how he solves any of our big problems in the first eleven bar adding far more consistency than Fernandes within a game

Didn’t he play there for Spurs too most of the time? VVD and Allí played ahead of him in that #10 role didn’t they?
He didn't play in central midfield at Spurs. It was usually Kane up front supported by Eriksen, Alli and Son floating around - very flexible but I think it was nominally Son right, Eriksen left, Alli in the middle - and then two of Dembele / Wanyama / whoever behind.

But he probably has the skillset to play deeper, so I can see him spending more time there for us.

Robertd0803

What a fantastic story.

Delighted he signed. Gives us options. Actual options for once.

thebelfastboy

Has the potential to be a really shrewd piece of business this.

It feels like it's been so long that we've had someone that's confident and composed with the ball at his feet in the middle.