Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

edcunited1878

I think we'd get much better value by going after someone else (younger) rather than Eriksen. Just because he'd offer more than Lingard isn't enough. I could offer more than him.
I agree with the value part, completely. It's hard to tell what's exactly going on, but the entire Spurs team has declined and it's not working. The team need refreshing and a spark, which hasn't been the case for many players and manager.

My point is that so many people are slagging him off when he's not the only one and he's been quality for many years. He would walk into the #10 position at United...whether or not he would be effective enough or have that desired impact is a risk I'd take, considering what he would cost (i.e. value).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I won't be surprised if Spurs will sell Eriksen to us in January.

I kinda agree with Carragher in Sky Sports. Eriksen is a very good player but he's not any better than Spurs. He's not a player on the same caliber as Silva & De Bruyne. Not someone you would expect a club like Real or Barcelona to spend huge money just to land you, not a game changing midfielder. This is why I think those big club that Eriksen wants to go will not try to sign him in January.

He might be forced to leave by Spurs in January if he still refuses to sign a new contract. The only club who has the money & interested to sign him in January is Manchester United & may be PSG?.

Real & Barcelona can't spend money anymore this season before they sell first & Juventus surely will only interested to sign him for free, that's what they do.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
I won't be surprised if Spurs will sell Eriksen to us in January.

I kinda agree with Carragher in Sky Sports. Eriksen is a very good player but he's not any better than Spurs. He's not a player on the same caliber as Silva & De Bruyne. Not someone you would expect a club like Real or Barcelona to spend huge money just to land you, not a game changing midfielder. This is why I think those big club that Eriksen wants to go will not try to sign him in January.

He might be forced to leave by Spurs in January if he still refuses to sign a new contract. The only club who has the money & interested to sign him in January is Manchester United & may be PSG?.

Real & Barcelona can't spend money anymore this season before they sell first & Juventus surely will only interested to sign him for free, that's what they do.
Why would he agree to leave in January if it's not a club he is really excited about? At that point, he can sign a pre contract with a club outside of England for the summer, and get all the signing on bonus for himself.

And I agree that he isn't the type of player that Barca or Real would trip over themselves to sign, but he is an excellent squad option for them that could be signed for very cheap. I'll be surprised if at least one of Real, Barca, PSG, Bayern, or Juventus doesn't offer him a contract in 2020.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why would he agree to leave in January if it's not a club he is really excited about? At that point, he can sign a pre contract with a club outside of England for the summer, and get all the signing on bonus for himself.

And I agree that he isn't the type of player that Barca or Real would trip over themselves to sign, but he is an excellent squad option for them that could be signed for very cheap. I'll be surprised if at least one of Real, Barca, PSG, Bayern, or Juventus doesn't offer him a contract in 2020.
I never said he will agree to join a club that he doesn't want to go & I never say he won't be offered a contract by those clubs.

I'm just saying that I will not be surprised if Spurs will sell or force Eriksen to the top 6 club in January which one of them is Manchester United if those club that he wanted to go has no interest to pay the fees in January. At the end of the day, the club will have to think whether losing him for free or get some money from him. If Eriksen refuses to leave in January then he's likely won't play anymore for the rest of the season and no eruopean player wants to go through something like that with the upcoming euro.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
I never said he will agree to join a club that he doesn't want to go & I never say he won't be offered a contract by those clubs.

I'm just saying that I will not be surprised if Spurs will sell or force Eriksen to the top 6 club in January which one of them is Manchester United if those club that he wanted to go has no interest to pay the fees in January. At the end of the day, the club will have to think whether losing him for free or get some money from him. If Eriksen refuses to leave in January then he's likely won't play anymore for the rest of the season and no eruopean player wants to go through something like that with the upcoming euro.
I would be borderline shocked if Eriksen is sold in January. None of the big continental clubs he has interest in would have any reason to give Tottenham a dime unless they experience an injury crisis in midfield, and he has zero reason to go to a club like United without exploring his other options first (which means waiting until the summer, if necessary).

I'm not completely ruling out the possibility of him going to United, I just don't see why he would go there in January. In addition to exploring his other options, the 20-30 million that would go to Spurs could go to him in June if he waited, and United is not going to be in contention for champions league in the spring.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The last time Christian Eriksen created a chance in the Premier League? On 29th September, a 2-1 win against Southampton. Surely that can't be true?

Imagine the furore caused on here if Pogba had a game half as bad as that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would be borderline shocked if Eriksen is sold in January. None of the big continental clubs he has interest in would have any reason to give Tottenham a dime unless they experience an injury crisis in midfield, and he has zero reason to go to a club like United without exploring his other options first (which means waiting until the summer, if necessary).

I'm not completely ruling out the possibility of him going to United, I just don't see why he would go there in January. In addition to exploring his other options, the 20-30 million that would go to Spurs could go to him in June if he waited, and United is not going to be in contention for champions league in the spring.
Do you even read my post? Even you just said not completely ruling out the possibility. I said "I won't be surprised if Spurs will sell Eriksen to us in January." I don't know what's your issue with that sentence and what are you trying to argue?

Spurs will lose the player for free if they don't sell him then they will lose the player for free and they already have Lo Celso as replacement. If the player refuses to go & still refuse to sign a new contract then Spurs has no reason to play him anymore ahead of others and it's not something Eriksen wants to go through with the upcoming Euro. If Spurs prefer to cash in then Eriksen choice will be leaving for a club that he doesn't want to go or stay at Spurs as a bench warmer not playing enough game time before the Euro 2020.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I've always found Eriksen to be inconsistent in his play, those issues reminds me of Pogba even though they're different types of midfielders.

sourdough satellite

You would think someone who's out of contract at the end of the season would want to showcase himself better to potential employers.

flappyjay

Fool me one time shame on you, fool me twice I can't put the blame on you. If the club does go for him then we really are run by a bunch of idiots.

When Torres left pool his bad form was linked to an injury and his desire to leave. Turns out it was just early signs of decline. Same was said of Alexis. Now they are both in top 3 of worst Epl transfers in my opinion.

He waited too long should have left 2 years ago

POF

At his best, Eriksen is almost the ideal candidate for the number 10 in Ole's system.

A player like Ozil couldn't play that role. He needs a player who is strong defensively, can lead a high press while also being able to provide the creativity to open up an opposition defence.

Eriksen is hard working, experienced and is capable of producing moments of pure quality. He is also a genuine goal threat from distance and excellent at set pieces. The fact he's Scandanavian may also be an added bonus.

There is of course the risk that after many years in Poch's high intensity style of game that he is burnt out physically. His form this season shows signs of that. But a change of environment may reinvigorate him. If United can pick him up for a reasonable fee in January, he could be a huge addition to the squad.

AneRu

You would think someone who's out of contract at the end of the season would want to showcase himself better to potential employers.
You'd also think that supposed better employers have limits to what they would consider offering him in terms of overall package and importance to their project. United could offer him as much and a central role in their rebuild.

That being said I hope we steer well clear of this one. A prolonged period of poor form and too many similarities to the Sanchez debacle, would rather we go for a younger option with a lot more to prove.

soapythecat

If the club has learnt anything these last few years, then we won’t be anywhere near Ericksen. Even on a free. His wages would be astronomical and, unless he was amazing from the start, the pressure would be such I doubt he’d recover.
I’d be very disappointed if we tried to sign him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Im genuinely surprised people wouldn't want this lad when we're struggling to create anything. He's a top player. Yes his form is through the floor, but he clearly wanted to leave in the summer and he's running down his contract. Easy to see he has a severe lack of motivation to play for spurs

arthurka

He is gold but he is thinking about his future so best not get involved he might get injured. If he is available we should go for him.

starman

He doesn't want to play for Spurs and he s showing it. And he s not interested in joining us neither... Why should sign a player who wants to play elsewhere?
How do you know he doesn't want to join United? His next contract will be his last big one. Hes only on 75k at Spurs. Hes probably quadruples that if he leaves on a free, as opposed to whoever trys/tried signing him last summer or in January with a fee. United are one of the teams capable of paying him 250k plus if he leaves for free

prateik

How do you know he doesn't want to join United? His next contract will be his last big one. Hes only on 75k at Spurs. Hes probably quadruples that if he leaves on a free, as opposed to whoever trys/tried signing him last summer or in January with a fee. United are one of the teams capable of paying him 250k plus if he leaves for free
So you want to sign a player who is so unprofessional (supposedly?) that he has stopped playing for his club and give him his last long term big fat contract..

What could possibly go wrong.. there is no way he'll take the money and relax..

starman

I wouldn't say that the past 5 years mean nothing, but they count for very little.
What matters is how a player is performing NOW, not whether he was terrific 4 years ago, for example.
Sanchez is an example of recruiting players based upon their reputations and their previous exploits, Matic is another.

Eriksen is not finished at 27, but perhaps his peak years are....?
Yup, i was being sarcastic....but you seem to believe the same thing is happening to him is what happened to Matic and Sanchez. Their legs had gone and signs were showing before either came to United. Eriksen scored 10 goals and had 17 assists last season. The 'now' you are talking about, is that the trope of formulating a opinion after each game? His mind is cleary elsewhere, his peak is not over at 27. Spurs are being wishful playing a player week in week out expecting him to perform at the same level he has been doing when hes not going to be there next season

starman

So you want to sign a player who is so unprofessional (supposedly?) that he has stopped playing for his club and give him his last long term big fat contract..

What could possibly go wrong.. there is no way he'll take the money and relax..
He has no guarantee for next season. Hes only been on a maximum of 75k during his time at Spurs. You saw what happened to Gomez, any bad injury between now and getting his future secured will be catastrophic..

Question is who passes up on a player that gets double digit goals and assists regularly, for free, just because of a few lacklustre games? and its not only him, the whole Spurs team have looked poor

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’d take him for free but we need somebody like Bruno Fernandes also. We need more than just 1 creative signing

Roboc7

Brilliant player if can get him back to his best, the huge drop off this season is a big concern though and warning signs are there to make it a big gamble.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It was bad not as bad as those stats.

(Succesful/attempted)
Take-ons 0/1
Chances created 0/2
Shots 0/0
Tackles 3/9
Interceptions 1
Lost ball 10

I trust my sources better as they come with video evidence. Also Opta/squawka are in the business of clicks and post stats immediately. Usually stats are corrected somewhat in the next hours after the match. Things like what constitutes as a tackle, losing the ball, dribble etc.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Any credible sources linking him to us in January?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rival team once quality player in late 20s having a bad season that we'll put down to him wanting out...

We've been here before

Bulldog United

Rival team once quality player in late 20s having a bad season that we'll put down to him wanting out...

We've been here before
if the parallels are to be complete, we’ll be able to send JLingz in the opposite direction and then suddenly it becomes a worthwhile punt. :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
if the parallels are to be complete, we’ll be able to send JLingz in the opposite direction and then suddenly it becomes a worthwhile punt. :D
Or fred..to make it more similar. Substantial fee signing..swap for eriksen and people would keep saying we got him for free!

Jev

Some people seem to forget the dire straits we're in. Despite the worries about his form, we can't afford to pass up a player of his calibre if we have a chance to sign him at a cut-price. He is not a world-beater, he won't transform a team entirely but he's a creative, intelligent and modest player who has consistently been one of the three best no 10ishs in the league for the past four seasons. He's what we need. Maybe not the best player we could wish for, but probably the best we could feasibly get.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Some people seem to forget the dire straits we're in. Despite the worries about his form, we can't afford to pass up a player of his calibre if we have a chance to sign him at a cut-price. He is not a world-beater, he won't transform a team entirely but he's a creative, intelligent and modest player who has consistently been one of the three best no 10ishs in the league for the past four seasons. He's what we need. Maybe not the best player we could wish for, but probably the best we could feasibly get.
We chased Eriksen in the summer but he showed no interest in joining us.

He wants to join Real by all accounts.

croadyman

Feel like a new challenge could rejuvenate his career again,however still find myself more impressed by Maddison and can't see us signing both of them.

Jev

We chased Eriksen in the summer but he showed no interest in joining us.

He wants to join Real by all accounts.
He probably turned us down partly because he thought Real/Barcelona was a realistic proposition. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. They didn't come for him the summer, and his form since then hasn't given them a reason to change their minds. I don't think he can do much better than us, and we can't do much better than him.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Compare what he's doing to what Hazard did last year. Hazard said he wanted out just after the World Cup and our club said no, you've got to stay another season. Rather than down tools and sulk like Eriksen has done he put in a fantastic season and didn't pout once.

Status
Not open for further replies.