Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jev

Compare what he's doing to what Hazard did last year. Hazard said he wanted out just after the World Cup and our club said no, you've got to stay another season. Rather than down tools and sulk like Eriksen has done he put in a fantastic season and didn't pout once.
I don't see him sulking. He's playing extremely poorly but we have no way of knowing whether it's anything to do with his contract situation or just poor form coupled with low confidence.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Some people seem to forget the dire straits we're in. Despite the worries about his form, we can't afford to pass up a player of his calibre if we have a chance to sign him at a cut-price. He is not a world-beater, he won't transform a team entirely but he's a creative, intelligent and modest player who has consistently been one of the three best no 10ishs in the league for the past four seasons. He's what we need. Maybe not the best player we could wish for, but probably the best we could feasibly get.
There's a lot of similarities to the Mata signing. Fell out with the manager, form dropped off a cliff, and the team he was joining had almost none of the conditions that allowed him to thrive in the first place, never mind bounce back from a career low. Expecting him to be one the best #10s in the league under those conditions seems a bit far-fetched. And aiming for anything less is unlikely to take us in the direction we need to go.

Jev

There's a lot of similarities to the Mata signing. Fell out with the manager, form dropped off a cliff, and the team he was joining had almost none of the conditions that allowed him to thrive in the first place, never mind bounce back from a career low. Expecting him to be one the best #10s in the league under those conditions seems a bit far-fetched. And aiming for anything less is unlikely to take us in the direction we need to go.
While things didn't turn out as we all hoped with Mata, I still firmly believe that we made the right decision by being him, and should do it again.

Bulldog United

I don't see him sulking. He's playing extremely poorly but we have no way of knowing whether it's anything to do with his contract situation or just poor form coupled with low confidence.
The Spurs players all seem to be dragging each other down to new lows atm. The fact he can’t rise above it though would be a big concern given what he’d be walking into here.

Jev

The Spurs players all seem to be dragging each other down to new lows atm. The fact he can’t rise above it though would be a big concern given what he’d be walking into here.
His form this season is a huge concern but I still believe it's absolutely worth the risk if we could get one of the best attacking midfielders in the league for half his market value.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He probably turned us down partly because he thought Real/Barcelona was a realistic proposition. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. They didn't come for him the summer, and his form since then hasn't given them a reason to change their minds. I don't think he can do much better than us, and we can't do much better than him.
There is an element of risk associated with the purchase of Eriksen. His form for Spurs over the last 12 months has been nothing short of abysmal, and he would no doubt demand a fat salary similar to that of Sanchez.

I can't see Ole, Woody or the board going for it due to the number of times we have wasted money on Eriksen types recently (players looking for one final payday as they approach their later years) and he doesn't fit the criteria of the type player we're looking for these days.

Jev

There is an element of risk associated with the purchase of Eriksen. His form for Spurs over the last 12 months has been nothing short of abysmal, and he would no doubt demand a fat salary similar to that of Sanchez.

I can't see Ole, Woody or the board going for it due to the number of times we have wasted money on Eriksen types recently (players looking for one final payday as they approach their later years) and he doesn't fit the criteria of the type player we're looking for these days.
He did well throughout last season so 12 months is not right.

I've acknowledged there's a risk due do his form. I do, however, not see why he wouldn't fit the profile. Sure, he's not British but he is PL proven, reasonably young for a marquee signing (and we need some of those eventually), he's modest and hard-working, unselfish, diligent with his pressing, creative and intelligent. Strikes me as pretty much exactly what we're looking for?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
That said: I'd rather have Maddison if possible.
Maddison will probably cost you guys Harry Maguire money next summer. Maybe even more.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He did well throughout last season so 12 months is not right.

I've acknowledged there's a risk due do his form. I do, however, not see why he wouldn't fit the profile. Sure, he's not British but he is PL proven, reasonably young for a marquee signing (and we need some of those eventually), he's modest and hard-working, unselfish, diligent with his pressing, creative and intelligent. Strikes me as pretty much exactly what we're looking for?
Eriksen is 28 now. He's approaching his twilight years, and his form (which is close to 12 months) is very similar to that of a declining player. There's too much risk attached to his transfer for my liking.

By all accounts, United are in the market for young, hungry PL proven players looking to make their mark on the game. The opposite of Eriksen.

buckooo1978

Yep. So would you have Maddison for mega money or Eriksen on a free?
as crazy as it might seem I'd go with Maddison

Erickson stinks of a Sanchez type deal - he wasnt keen on us in the Summer and I wouldn't bring any player in who didnt really want to be at the club

he wouldn't be free in January and even if he did come in the Summer he'd be on 300k a week plus

I think we need to be focusing on hungry young players

I'd actually be looking for the next Erickson or Madison

redshaw

Supposedly no offers even came in for Eriksen so he can't be sulking at not being allowed to leave.

We'll see if he has an agreement on a free or is he damaging his prospects of getting his trial at one of the big two in Spain. We hear Perez isn't too hot on Pogba and his performances haven't helped. We fans often think it's an attempt to reduce the fee but more likely there's nothing going on and poor performances give the suitors second thoughts or at the least will impact what he can get in wages.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Compare what he's doing to what Hazard did last year. Hazard said he wanted out just after the World Cup and our club said no, you've got to stay another season. Rather than down tools and sulk like Eriksen has done he put in a fantastic season and didn't pout once.
Well,its the same for almost the whole Spurs team. Even Kane.
This "downing tools" is BS. They are woefully out of form.

OverratedOpinion

I am really conflicted by the idea.

I have loved him as a player for years but we have had our fingers burned so many times with players like Alexis, Falcao, Schweinsteiger and Matic. Good players who are currently in a slump don't seem to react very well to signing for a club in a slump, just seems to reinforce their trajectory.

flappyjay

How do you know he doesn't want to join United? His next contract will be his last big one. Hes only on 75k at Spurs. Hes probably quadruples that if he leaves on a free, as opposed to whoever trys/tried signing him last summer or in January with a fee. United are one of the teams capable of paying him 250k plus if he leaves for free
made it clear he doesnt want to join us in the summer. United made contact but were quickly made aware that Erikson had no intentions of joining us. He probably change his mind if whichever club he is holding out for reject him.

starman

made it clear he doesnt want to join us in the summer. United made contact but were quickly made aware that Erikson had no intentions of joining us. He probably change his mind if whichever club he is holding out for reject him.
You mean "reportedly" rejected, as opposed to him saying so

And you've completely missed the point of him leaving on a free transfer so he can maximise his wages

dev1l

According to the latest reports in the media there is some sort of verbal agreement between Levy and Eriksen that he does not join another EPL club. But If a good offer from a EPL club is made to Spurs,Levy might be happy to cash in.
Not sure if that s true or not.

GledTheRed

Erickson stinks of a Sanchez type deal - he wasnt keen on us in the Summer and I wouldn't bring any player in who didnt really want to be at the club

he wouldn't be free in January and even if he did come in the Summer he'd be on 300k a week plus

ERIKSEN FFS.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Eriksen is what we need, and could immediately transform ours into a regular top 4 for another 3-4 years.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I agree that we should focus on hungry player (don’t care about young or no). Eriksen seems to has lost his hunger. Right now all he cares is earning big money or play for a team that can win major trophies. Just like Sanchez & Ozil right now I think there is likely chance he will show the same if he moves to United.

AkaAkuma

He's in his 10th full season as a professional, most peaks are between the 8-11th season. He may be only 28, but I think his best is behind him.

We should focus on Grealish, Maddison or Havertz

Cmaza

I would absolutely take him.

I think he has the attributes (low centre of gravity, good technique, good range of passing, good movement) to develop into a scholes/modric type of deep laying playmaker. Something we have been crying out for since Scholes retired. Put a work horse alongside him (mctominey? ) and he could play into his mid 30s.

If he is available at a cut price (30 mil?) than its a simple decision really especially considering how weak our midfield is.

I would, however, make sure we do not overpay him with wages. If he is on 75k now than offer 150k with results based bonuses (ie an extra 2mil per season we qualify for CL). Hopefully this way it will keep him hungry...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Eriksen has been one of the best midfielder in PL in the last 6 years before this season. Rarely injured, his average games are ~45 games/season. He's a creative hardworker CM ala David Silva, and still 27 y.o. One bad season shouldn't be used to rate player. We might as well sell DDG if that's the case. The comparison with Ozil and Sanchez is just lazy effort.

2016/17 Season

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-...t-distance-in-the-premier-league-this-season/

Most distance covered in km per/90 2018-19 (Prem)
1. Morgan Gibbs-White (Wolves): 13.58
2. James Milner (Liverpool): 12.68
3. Yoshinori Muto (Newcastle): 12.61
4. Dan Gosling (Bournemouth): 12.45
5. Max Meyer (Crystal Palace): 12.31
6. Kevin De Bruyne (Man City): 12.29
7. Christian Eriksen (Spurs): 12.28
8. Andre Gomes (Everton): 12.26
9. Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal): 12.26
10. Ivan Cavaleiro (Wolves): 12.22
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...rs-premier-league-revealed-manchester-united/

https://www.skysports.com/app/trans...rs-would-face-tough-task-to-replace-playmaker

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just like what Keane said, when a player lose their hunger, it's hard to get it back. It's likely happening to most Spurs experienced players right now that includes Eriksen.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Eriksen is a magnificent player. I think he's far from finished and would do well at any club he'll join. Still, I don't want him at United and the answer to that is pretty simple

a- He's 28 this February. We won't be winning any titles in the next 2-3 years so we need to think for the future here.
b- We can't keep rewarding players who are not pulling their weight elsewhere with a contract with us. We've seen what happened with Mata, Sanchez and Matic. Lets learn from our mistakes

What we need is young players who are hungry for success. I get it that we can't go for Maddison as it would cost a bomb but the likes of Havertz would probably not.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
People talk about hunger, but then still proposing us to sign Bale. Hah..

prateik

Can someone remind us of Mata's stats when he was at Chelsea?

Stop relying purely on numbers.. He was fantastic. He hasn't been for a year now. He also wants to play in Spain. If the only reason he leaves Spurs to join us is money, then we should be looking elsewhere.

A past-his-best mercenary is exactly what we don't need right now.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Eriksen is a magnificent player. I think he's far from finished and would do well at any club he'll join. Still, I don't want him at United and the answer to that is pretty simple

a- He's 28 this February. We won't be winning any titles in the next 2-3 years so we need to think for the future here.
b- We can't keep rewarding players who are not pulling their weight elsewhere with a contract with us. We've seen what happened with Mata, Sanchez and Matic. Lets learn from our mistakes

What we need is young players who are hungry for success. I get it that we can't go for Maddison as it would cost a bomb but the likes of Havertz would probably not.
This!

It’s time we learn from past mistakes. Our squad is full of fragile and mentality soft characters. We are short of natural leaders and without a strong authority inside the locker room we should stay away from players like Eriksen and Bale.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This!

It’s time we learn from past mistakes. Our squad is full of fragile and mentality soft characters. We are short of natural leaders and without a strong authority inside the locker room we should stay away from players like Eriksen and Bale.
TBF this is not as clear cut as lets say Bale, Ozil, Mata and Sanchez are. I think its fair to say that Eriksen was a top top player just few months ago and that Spurs are having a collective meltdown very few people can understand let alone explain. I'll be honest with you in saying that I wouldn't lose any sleep if we do sign Eriksen. However, we need to make absolutely sure that there's still a top player in him

Having said that I stick to what I previously said. IF the club is willing to spend crazy money this January or next season then we should go for a younger player instead. As Keane in his later years showed us, hunger and commitment means jack shit once the legs are gone and at 28, Eriksen will soon be in decline. Also its high time we remove the tag of being the best place for players to go for their final pay cheque. It hurts team morale and our image

Last edited:

Tarrou

I'd rather stick Pogba in the 10 position and buy a CM or RW this January if I had the choice

That said, there won't be many options in January will there? But still I think I'd pass on Eriksen. He may or may not turn into another Sanchez, but the risk is high enough to pass.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Eriksen is 28 now. He's approaching his twilight years, and his form (which is close to 12 months) is very similar to that of a declining player. There's too much risk attached to his transfer for my liking.

By all accounts, United are in the market for young, hungry PL proven players looking to make their mark on the game. The opposite of Eriksen.
This. As good as he is, he would be a short-term fix and its exactly those kinds of transfers that has caused us so much problem over the years. Of course if we could get him for free on something like a 3-year deal, that would be alright, but i would much rather see us go for someone that has their best years ahead of them

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Consistent, hardworker, experience, healthy, and at his peak (27 y.o.).

Season - Goal, Assist, Games
18/19 - 10, 17, 51
17/18 - 14, 13, 47
16/17 - 12, 23, 48
15/16 - 8, 16, 47
14/15 - 12, 5, 48

Most distance covered in km per/90 2018-19 (Prem)

1. Morgan Gibbs-White (Wolves): 13.58
2. James Milner (Liverpool): 12.68
3. Yoshinori Muto (Newcastle): 12.61
4. Dan Gosling (Bournemouth): 12.45
5. Max Meyer (Crystal Palace): 12.31
6. Kevin De Bruyne (Man City): 12.29
7. Christian Eriksen (Spurs): 12.28
8. Andre Gomes (Everton): 12.26
9. Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal): 12.26
10. Ivan Cavaleiro (Wolves): 12.22
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...rs-premier-league-revealed-manchester-united/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.