Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Think they are just being extremely cautious. I remember Aly Cissokho failed his medical at Milan because some issue with his teeth possibly related to a heart condition. Or they just panicked because he was shit so decided to make that up.
I actually remember one case which I think was at Inter where a player had been nursing a back problem for ages and they sent him to a dentist. Proper holistic checkups.

OrcaFat

I heard he wants to stay where his family is settled which happens to be London. The entire London v Manchester conversation is a red herring.

I gather he doesn’t want to move or be apart from his family which I can understand. He nearly died and probably has a different perspective to the average footballer.

Maybe he can persuade his family that two years up North would be okay.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I believe he had problems at first because he wasnt used to a Conte system. After a time he got used to it and started to play in the Conte system? He didnt play at his usual more attacking midfielder position but in a role closer to his own goal.

If you look at transfermarkt you can see that he didnt play in one game from round 22 till round 38 in the 20/21 Serie A season. Round 1 until 22 he didnt play in 11 games. He just needed to adapt, when he did adapt he did play under Conte.
I remember read in inter Milan forum, the fans moaned about Conte of how the player can perform if he doesn’t let the player to play full 90 minutes or keep subbing the player off when the player only just started playing good in the match.

After ’’round 21st’’, you can see that it‘s still not an impressive minutes as there are only 3 matches where he managed to get above 80 mins. In total of 17 games of his best period (GW 22nd - GW 38th), he played 1005 mins out of 1530 possible minutes, meaning it’s similar to not playing 6 full matches in that 17 games.

Woziak

We shouldn’t get too upset if Christian even chooses Brentford over United, he has a completely different perspective on life right now, however ETH did allowed him to rebuild his career at Ajax, they probably get on really well and I’m sure United will be offering him Juan Mata’s wages of 160k per week plus a signing on fee and probably a 2+1 year contract, Danny Levy will be offering half that and 1 year contract, the problem is I don’t think money is now his driving force or a deal maker.

Kramer

I think it might not be just about location. But the player wanting a longer playing contract.

At his age and with his medical history, it’s understandable why he would want a longer term contract than 1 year (+ 1 year extension) that we are currently reportedly offering.

So him and his team would probably be negotiating holding out for a longer contract. And seeing which club offer him that security of a longer deal.

Pronewbie

Peep
I'm warming up to this signing. It's been 2-3 years since we wanted him and we have a pretty good track record in eyeing Spurs midfield talents. If ETH wants him for a more possession-based style of play, and it means our team can gel as quickly as possible, then let's go for it.

I'm hoping we clinch both De Jong and Eriksen this week. With 1 or 2 more additions and I'd consider this transfer window a success. I don't expect us to fix our broken squad in 1 window anyway. And we'll probably get bargains next year as more clubs feel the financial strain.

Danish Wizard

Eriksen would fit perfect into United and the style of football Erik ten Hag wants to play. For once United look to do intelligent business. Eriksen would be great for the next 2-4 years in our midfield.

Highfather_24

When’s the last time we played good football?
You need a midfielder who can anchor the midfield, and keep his position. All top teams have them, Casemiro, Busquets, Fabinho, Rodri etc. We had Carrick, then we had Matic. Now we have no one.

FDJ and Eriksen are great footballers, but stocking creative midfielders work work, if you dont have balance in midfield. That's why Kroos-Modric didnt work, and Casemiro-Kroos-Modric did.

DMs :
CMs : Fred, McT, Garner, FDJ(possibly), Eriksen(possibly)
AMs : Bruno, VdB, Mjebri

You see the problem? I'd rather we buy a partner for FdJ, rather than another creative midfield player.

Kaushal

Not sure why we are going for a creative midfielder, when we need a DM(since Matic left).
Eriksen is a free signing and that’s the key. Ideally we would sign a DM but after spunking a good chunk of our budget on de Jong we can’t manoeuvre that much when we have other areas to sort out too. Also, even after signing de Jong we still don’t have enough options in midfield given the way ten hag wants to play. Eriksen not only can play in a 3 but also can play as a CM in a double pivot. Ten hag has identified the midfield is our weakest area. If we sign only de Jong we are still light weight, injury to him and we are screwed. Signing both de Jong and Eriksen takes it to another level.

My guess is we won’t be signing a DM this summer. We gonna play a midfield 3 of Fred- de Jong- Eriksen which would be fine for this season if we sort out other areas with the remaining budget rather than signing a DM for huge money and having nothing left to do anything. With regards to Bruno, either he has to play from the left/right side or fight out his place with Eriksen which is ideal in a way because when he is out of form we have nothing on the bench. Competition for places is never a bad thing and right now in this team, no one can claim to be an automatic starter given the season they have just had and in some players cases more than a season.

Reactions: roonster09

Highfather_24

Eriksen is a free signing and that’s the key. Ideally we would sign a DM but after spunking a good chunk of our budget on de Jong we can’t manoeuvre that much when we have other areas to sort out too. Also, even after signing de Jong we still don’t have enough options in midfield given the way ten hag wants to play. Eriksen not only can play in a 3 but also can play as a CM in a double pivot. Ten hag has identified the midfield is our weakest area. If we sign only de Jong we are still light weight, injury to him and we are screwed. Signing both de Jong and Eriksen takes it to another level.

My guess is we won’t be signing a DM this summer. We gonna play a midfield 3 of Fred- de Jong- Eriksen which would be fine for this season if we sort out other areas with the remaining budget rather than signing a DM for huge money and having nothing left to do anything. With regards to Bruno, either he has to play from the left/right side or fight out his place with Eriksen which is ideal in a way because when he is out of form we have nothing on the bench. Competition for places is never a bad thing and right now in this team, no one can claim to be an automatic starter given the season they have just had and in some players cases more than a season.
We needed a DM and CM in midfield. If we get De Jong, we would still need a DM/partner for him. Eriksen is not that player.

Apart from midfield/CM, we also need to get a RW, DM, CF, RB and CB. Surely if budget is tight, the focus should go on those areas rather than get a luxury signing with Eriksen, who is a great player no doubt, and would improve our team, but its just not the priority right now, like AT ALL.

If we dont get Eriksen, we still have Bruno/VdB. If we dont get a RB, CF, DM or RW, we are fecked, because we dont have numbers or quality there. We dont have a single natural RW, DM or CF in our squad. Our RB options are Dalot and Laird(if AWB leaves). Making Eriksen a priority before all these major holes is lunacy.

ForeverRed1

You need a midfielder who can anchor the midfield, and keep his position. All top teams have them, Casemiro, Busquets, Fabinho, Rodri etc. We had Carrick, then we had Matic. Now we have no one.

FDJ and Eriksen are great footballers, but stocking creative midfielders work work, if you dont have balance in midfield. That's why Kroos-Modric didnt work, and Casemiro-Kroos-Modric did.

DMs :

You see the problem? I'd rather we buy a partner for FdJ, rather than another creative midfield player.
eriksen will be as well as if anything. I’m sure they will look to get someone in to partner frenkie.. we also don’t know how he will coach some of the players we already have. You might see some improvements there also.

im sure ETH knows what he wants/needs for his system to work. We got to trust the process:drool:

Robindinho

Not sure why we are going for a creative midfielder, when we need a DM(since Matic left).
Think of the triangles/interplay we'll be seeing with De Jong & Eriksen... Do you need an out and out defensive midfielder, if the opponent doesn't have the ball.

Mainoldo

DMs :

I used that example as you don’t know how he’s going to set up this team so to say we need X player might not be right. We can be defensively stable with FDJ and Fred as a midfield pivot. Or Van De Beek.

Ideally yes we need a defensive minded midfielder but if we are buying a Pirlo(let’s say) we really only need a Gattuso/Vidal type next to him. We have that in Fred already.. I’m sure he might want to improve that but for one season I’m sure it’s not that big of a deal. McTominay like it or not can be coached. Donny too.. they all have engines, they just all lack key attributes which doesn’t allow them to play together.

Maybe we save the money and buy a Rice next summer.

Highfather_24

I used that example as you don’t know how he’s going to set up this team so to say we need X player might not be right. We can be defensively stable with FDJ and Fred as a midfield pivot. Or Van De Beek.

Ideally yes we need a defensive minded midfielder but if we are buying a Pirlo(let’s say) we really only need a Gattuso/Vidal type next to him. We have that in Fred already.. I’m sure he might want to improve that but for one season I’m sure it’s not that big of a deal. McTominay like it or not can be coached. Donny too.. they all have engines, they just all lack key attributes which doesn’t allow them to play together.

Maybe we save the money and buy a Rice next summer.
Sure, but I would still say that if we dont need a DM, we should prioritise a RB, RW or CF/CB before we buy another #8/10 midfielder. We all know we will probably make 3-4 signings, and we have so many holes in the squad, prioritising Eriksen sounds like the exact kind of BS United pull every summer.

Mainoldo

Sure, but I would still say that if we dont need a DM, we should prioritise a RB, RW or CF/CB before we buy another #8/10 midfielder. We all know we will probably make 3-4 signings, and we have so many holes in the squad, prioritising Eriksen sounds like the exact kind of BS United pull every summer.
Sure. But that’s why words like essentially to his style of play are used. The current 8’s we have aren’t technically good enough.

Fred - can’t pass
Mctominay - low rate passer
Bruno - debatable
Donny - unproven

With Eriksen you know he’s a similar profile to KDB and prem proven.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
I know one thing the journalists reporting all this rubbish about who he has or has not turned down is laughable - beginning of last week all talk was he had rejected us and it was a straight shoot between Spurs and United by the end of the week he had rejected United and it was between us and Spurs. At this point I don't think Eriksen knows what he wants to do certainly last week he hadn't let us know either way. The things that make me still think we are very much in the picture is the fact that he has found places for his kids in local schools for September and he was house hunting in Richmond - which would be a pain in the arse to get to Spurs training ground every day and obviously he would need another house near Manchester if he was to join United. We have offered him a long term, best ever terms (for us) contract and basically said the said will be built around him, he is surrounded by his countrymen and two other Danish international team mates and Thomas Frank has coached him in his youth and been able to get him back to playing at very high level on the biggest stage. IMO it is still a very open race.

The Sad Clown

Hypothetically if both deals for Eriksen and De Jong were successful would this be the first choice midfield along with one other? If so who takes the third spot and would that also mean Bruno finding himself on the bench?

Last edited:

Highfather_24

Sure. But that’s why words like essentially to his style of play are used. The current 8’s we have aren’t technically good enough.

Fred - can’t pass
Mctominay - low rate passer
Bruno - debatable
Donny - unproven

With Eriksen you know he’s a similar profile to KDB and prem proven.
If we get Eriksen, chances still are we are going out with Fred/McT as one of our starting midfielders. Its counter productive. Our midfield would be :

----FdJ---McT/Fred
--------Eriksen

I'd much rather have us buy a DM, and let Bruno/VdB fight out the #10 spot, that's much better than having Fred as first choice.

If Eriksen was not a free agent, no one would be saying lets get Eriksen rather than a RB, RW/CF or DM. Just because he would a easy signing, doesnt mean we should go for him. We have done this same mistake before.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
For Ten Hag's sake, I hope he signs. This club will not spend money on an alternative.

Infra-red

Ten Hag is and will remain our most significant signing this summer. He's a top coach - get him the players he wants and let him show what he can do.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some posters here do realise living in London as a footballer is the exact same as Manchester? I've seen some of the houses the Spurs and West Ham players live in in Essex and they are stunning locations
No-one doubts it that way round do they?
The doubt is always why would you want to live in the north instead of London?

Status
Not open for further replies.