Christian Eriksen

TheReligion

Abusive
To be fair we are a village club and have a defib in the club house in theory 20 seconds from anyone on our pitches. I don't expect many clubs at all to be like us as we had a few incidents in , but at any professional match I'd expect a defib pitch side within 10 seconds of being called on.

All seems ok and given the seriousness of the situation what is 1 minute...but still, they should have been on quicker
Agree with this.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
All things considered, good thing it happened when the medics could get to him in 45seconds.

Is it confirmed it was heart attack or possibly something else?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Maybe they wanted to do it for him.

I completely agree, it seems an amazing decision - but they have another match in 4 days or so - so either they play or I have no idea what.
Yeah, as others have pointed out, maybe the players had news about Eriksen’s condition which is even more positive than has been reported. So they gave their consent. However, it’s just tough to go from tears and prayer to ‘heigh-go, let’s play a game’

Edit: Some reports on Twitter that Eriksen had a FaceTime call with his teammates and told them to play. Not sure if accurate of course.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
All things considered, good thing it happened when the medics could get to him in 45seconds.
If reports are to be believed its equally important that Kjaer, a) knew how to respond b) stayed calm and did it. I know we would all like to believe we would do the same, but I doubt many could actually do it.

Dipperphobic

Agree with this.
To be fair there will always be a ‘reaction lag’ where it becomes apparent a defib is needed, then get that message across and then transport the defib to the casualty. It’s a totally unexpected event and there will always be a period of shock and comprehension before procedures kick in.

shaky

Yeah, as others have pointed out, maybe the players had news about Eriksen’s condition which is even more positive than has been reported. So they gave their consent However, it’s just tough to go from tears and prayer to ‘heigh-go, let’s play a game’
I'd imagine if Eriksen told them to finish the game, they probably didn't really want to argue with him. I can't imagine they were in the mood though.

I find the faux outrage about the live broadcast rather silly. Yo see the empathy for Eriksen suddenly change to a kind of social media witch hunt absurb, as if blaming the live broadcast decision will change anything.

We see very tragic and horrific real life events on tv and social media everyday. I don't see the same outrage about those things being shown.

I think it's best people just focus on support for Eriksen and relief he's going to be okay.

TheReligion

Abusive
To be fair there will always be a ‘reaction lag’ where it becomes apparent a defib is needed, then get that message across and then transport the defib to the casualty. It’s a totally unexpected event and there will always be a period of shock and comprehension before procedures kick in.
It shouldn't take that long though in this day and age. Can make all the difference.

I find the faux outrage about the live broadcast rather silly. Yo see the empathy for Eriksen suddenly change to a kind of social media witch hunt absurb, as if blaming the live broadcast decision will change anything.

We see very tragic and horrific real life events on tv and social media everyday. I don't see the same outrage about those things being shown.

I think it's best people just focus on support for Eriksen and relief he's going to be okay.
I don’t think it’s faux outrage at all. Unless it’s from people who were watching Emmerdale at the time.

when have you ever seen someone potentially dying and being shocked and revived on live tv?

There will have been a whole load of kids watching it - do you think that’s right?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I'd imagine if Eriksen told them to finish the game, they probably didn't really want to argue with him. I can't imagine they were in the mood though.
Yes that is apparently what did happen, but as you say, they would have been in no frame of mind to continue. Watching the game, they look as if it has affected them.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don’t think it’s faux outrage at all. Unless it’s from people who were watching Emmerdale at the time.

when have you ever seen someone potentially dying and being shocked and revived on live tv?

There will have been a whole load of kids watching it - do you think that’s right?
But its not in the BBCs control, its not their cameras, they have no directorship of the footage, could they have pulled the feed, maybe but how long would that take? People have been able to commit suicide on live TV so I doubt its as simple as pushing a button.

shaky

It's faux outrage just because you aren't annoyed by it? I think people would just rather that sort of stuff not be broadcast during a football match. The BBC could easily apologise and say they will look at how they cover these sort of things in the future. I think that's all anyone wants. i've not seen anyone calling for heads to roll, just an acknowledgement from the BBC that it won't happen again. Is that really a lot to ask?

The Firestarter

But its not in the BBCs control, its not their cameras, they have no directorship of the footage, could they have pulled the feed, maybe but how long would that take? People have been able to commit suicide on live TV so I doubt its as simple as pushing a button.
Seconds . It is that simple.

I've seen live footage of assylum seekers in the sea in the meditaranian, including people desperately hold their babies above water.

The news showed a dead drowned toddler face down on the beach.

We see footage of all kinds of atrocities and awful real life events of suffering.

If all the people who say that it was so horrific actually thought that they'd have turned off their tv. As woul any parent if they had little kids

shaky

I've seen live footage of assylum seekers in the sea in the meditaranian, including people desperately hold their babies above water.

We see footage of all kinds of atrocities and awful real life events of suffering.

If all the people who say that it was so horrific actually thought that they'd have turned off their tv. As woul any parent if they had little kids
It's not even about individuals being offended by having to watch it, it's about dignity for the player involved and respect for his family by not showing his potential death live on tv.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Ok so guys, it's as a good time as any to educate people.
If I remember correctly (i don't feel like rewatching that again), Kjaer tried to touch Eriksen's tongue while he was on the side. If he did, it's NOT what you should do.

1) People on the side won't "swallow" their tongue
2) When you start CPR, you just tilt the other person's head back and that's usually enough to clear their airways (unless they have something in the mouth or have something obstructing).

Trying to grab the tongue, pull it or do god knows what is totally useless but it's a very common myth among athletes.

MDFC Manager

Just a few seconds to cut to a still image with the words "we'll be back with you shortly", while they prep the studio for presenters.

It's faux outrage just because you aren't annoyed by it? I think people would just rather that sort of stuff not be broadcast during a football match. The BBC could easily apologise and say they will look at how they cover these sort of things in the future. I think that's all anyone wants. i've not seen anyone calling for heads to roll, just an acknowledgement from the BBC that it won't happen again. Is that really a lot to ask?
Did you turn off or keep watching?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I didn't see it either but he stopped Eriksen swallowing his tongue and started CPR. Its early intervention that makes such a difference, if you swallow your tongue you can basically choke to death.
Ok thanks for clarification.
This is probably the moment we all learn first aid...

abundance

Supports
Inter
According to a couple of mates on interfans forum who are cardiologists, from what they could tell from tv the episode clearly felt like a secundary cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation.

If it's so, Eriksen's been very lucky as it is something that doesn't necessarily need a situation of intense physical effort to happen.
Had it happened in his hotel room or any other place where CPR and defibrillation is several minutes instead of several seconds away, he'd be done.

I'm still shocked and so very glad that he's reportedly stable and conscious now...

not all tv is monitored by parents - it’s why you have a watershed.

Are you a parent?

you expect to see disturbing images on the news, and it’s signposted when they do show them.

It's not even about individuals being offended by having to watch it, it's about dignity for the player involved and respect for his family by not showing his potential death live on tv.
Do you feel the same outrage about all the other times human beings life and situations are broadcast?

Or just this incident?

shaky

Did you turn off or keep watching?
As I said above, it's not about how offended I was personally. Or how offended you were. it's about respect for Eriksen and his family. I can stomach most stuff but I wouldn't expect other people to, when they're just trying to watch a football match. It's not the same as watching a news broadcast about a tragedy.

UncleBob

It's the camera crew's job to film everything that's happening. It's the editors decision what is shown.
It's their job to film a footballer dying on the pitch? To pan over and film his missus in tears on the pitch? Nope...

They all share a fecking responsibility. The decision to show it live is an epic disgrace, but the decision to keep filming sure as shit isn't much btter.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
As soon as the coverage stopped, everyone took to twitter to find out more. I think it's faux outrage but I also think that the BBC could have cut to the studio earlier if they'd wanted to.

not all tv is monitored by parents - it’s why you have a watershed.

Are you a parent?

you expect to see disturbing images on the news, and it’s signposted when they do show them.
So the arguement is changing from it shouldn't have been shown, to it being a matter of it being pre-watershed?

I think most people watched it and after the fact are complaining when if they actually cared they'd have turned off their tv.

As I said above, it's not about how offended I was personally. Or how offended you were. it's about respect for Eriksen and his family. I can stomach most stuff but I wouldn't expect other people to, when they're just trying to watch a football match. It's not the same as watching a news broadcast about a tragedy.
So you carried on watching and weren't botherrd by it. But you're complaining on behalf of other people who might have been offended?

shaky

So the arguement is changing from it shouldn't have been shown, to it being a matter of it being pre-watershed?

I think most people watched it and after the fact are complaining when if they actually cared they'd have turned off their tv.
So you are saying the BBC should be free to broadcast literally anything they want, no matter how offensive, violent, or otherwise, because everyone is free to turn over?

Nickosaur

Anyone else feeling hollow/still shaken?

Unbelievably great news that he's okay. I honestly thought for several minutes that I'd seen him die on the pitch. Fecking scary stuff :(