Christian Eriksen

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Can't believe some of the nonsense being said here. The BBC can cut the stadium footage and go back to the studio.

C'est Moi Cantona

I didn't rewatch so could be wrong, but I wasn't that outraged by the footage on first watch.

With hignsight they'd have done it differently for sure, but percived mistakes will always be made in extreme situations like this when it's live.

Last edited:

0le

I always Google medical advice and read the NHS pages. If I need more information then I ask the big bunny that I sometimes see from time to time.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I keep reading that the BBC has no stock footage to use, which I think is bullshit. Almost all broadcasts have a strategy for when a streaker runs onto the pitch and they could definitely have used the same protocol if the director wished to cut away from it. Its a lapse of judgement, plain and simple.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If they were broadcasting a 3rd party and someone started whacking off live on air it would be off air pretty sharpish. I think that the directors didn’t know what to do, there’s no protocol in place
You are probably right, I can imagine a director of a football match isnt glued to the screen for 90mins. I doubt the BBC continued with it for "ratings" more than likely someone who wasn't quite sure what to do.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What's quick enough?
Its a very rare occurrence that one is needed on a pitch.
Tbf, I didn't time it, but as soon as someone starts CPR, it should have been on the way. It felt like it wasn't there very quick, compared to when they started CPR. I could be completely wrong with the time, just felt it in a stadium, should be there within seconds.

Edit: By seconds, I mean within the minute

Kearnkoff69

One of the scariest moments of sports watching for me, I was having flashbacks to the Fabrice Muamba incident. Could have sworn we were about to watch him die on live television, really shook me to the core. I am so relieved to hear that he is awake and stable and send positive vibes to him and his family through this.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You are probably right, I can imagine a director of a football match isnt glued to the screen for 90mins. I doubt the BBC continued with it for "ratings" more than likely someone who wasn't quite sure what to do.
Or they were, like the rest of us, in a state of shock and didn't quite know how to react to the situation. They're only human.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Tbf, I didn't time it, but as soon as someone starts CPR, it should have been on the way. It felt like it wasn't there very quick, compared to when they started CPR. I could be completely wrong with the time, just felt it in a stadium, should be there within seconds.

Edit: By seconds, I mean within the minute
It seemed to last forever but the 1st doctors arrived within 60 seconds and the medics with the defibrillator where here within 120 seconds.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If this was a congenital heart abnormality, surely it would have been found during his physicals with Ajax, Tottenham or Inter? I can't imagine him going about it unaware until now.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It seemed to last forever but the 1st doctors arrived within 60 seconds and the medics with the defibrillator where here within 120 seconds.
Fair, it was more the defib time that worried me, but that is damned fast. Certainly time did slow.

redshaw

Difficult to say, to see them performing CPR for around 10 mins was quite distressing and incredibly impactful, I had the option to turn it off but it also shows us what can be done, to not give up trying and also seek to go on a CPR course and use a defib. I did CPR at school in the 90s but don't know how to use a defib. We're so used to seeing players come around after few minutes or be carried off for injuries you just keep expecting to see something positive.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Fair, it was more the defib time that worried me, but that is damned fast. Certainly time did slow.
To be honest I thought it took longer than that as well but they were already shocking him less than 3mn after he collapsed, I had to double check (it wasn't pleasant). We were all petrified in front of our TV.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Difficult to say, to see them performing CPR for around 10 mins was quite distressing and incredibly impactful, I had the option to turn it off but it also shows us what can be done, to not give up trying and also seek to go on a CPR course and use a defib. I did CPR at school in the 90s but don't know how to use a defib. We're so used to seeing players come around after few minutes or be carried off for injuries you just keep expecting to see something positive.
Fortunatley most modern defibs give you instructions nowadays, you just open the machine and it tells you what to do.

sillwuka

One of the scariest moments of sports watching for me, I was having flashbacks to the Fabrice Muamba incident. Could have sworn we were about to watch him die on live television, really shook me to the core. I am so relieved to hear that he is awake and stable and send positive vibes to him and his family through this.
You've summed up exactly what I was thinking. The white sheets came up and I feared the worst..

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fortunatley most modern defibs give you instructions nowadays, you just open the machine and it tells you what to do.
Yeah, weirdly enough, I spoke to someone that sells them recently and they said those available to the public (which I didn’t even know was a thing anyway) talk to you when you pick them up.

shaky

It’s UEFA who provide the broadcast. Every station worldwide would have had the same pictures. BBC could and should have cut to the studio earlier, but they can’t be blamed for them showing his wife etc.
The BBC can absolutely be blamed for giving people in this country the option of watching a woman in tears because her husband was fighting for his life. They weren't controlling the cameras but they had no obligation to broadcast any of it. Many other broadcasters didn't show it, despite "having the same pictures".

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yeah, weirdly enough, I spoke to someone that sells them recently and they said those available to the public (which I didn’t even know was a thing anyway) talk to you when you pick them up.
Yeah, they automatically turn on when you remove them from the stand and give you instructions, which means pretty much any composed person (not that easy) can use them without prior knowledge.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
To be honest I thought it took longer than that as well but they were already shocking him less than 3mn after he collapsed, I had to double check (it wasn't pleasant). We were all petrified in front of our TV.
Yeah, personally having experienced that without access to a defib, i was screaming for it.

Yep there's bloody loads in the town I just moved to, some even come with a razor to shave the chest!

macheda14

The BBC can absolutely be blamed for giving people in this country the option of watching a woman in tears because her husband was fighting for his life. They weren't controlling the cameras but they had no obligation to broadcast any of it. Many other broadcasters didn't show it.
Did they not? Who didn’t?

Mike Smalling

Never saw her on Swedish telly, they cut it to a camera on the roof where you hardly could see anything
Same in Denmark. After the CPR started they cut to aerial footage. Never saw his wife on tv for instance.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The BBC can absolutely be blamed for giving people in this country the option of watching a woman in tears because her husband was fighting for his life. They weren't controlling the cameras but they had no obligation to broadcast any of it. Many other broadcasters didn't show it, despite "having the same pictures".
I agree with you. I said they can’t be blamed for the cameras catching it, they can absolutely be blamed for not cutting to the studio sooner.

Dan_F

I've seen live footage of assylum seekers in the sea in the meditaranian, including people desperately hold their babies above water.

The news showed a dead drowned toddler face down on the beach.

We see footage of all kinds of atrocities and awful real life events of suffering.

If all the people who say that it was so horrific actually thought that they'd have turned off their tv. As woul any parent if they had little kids
Which was definitely controversial at the time. They were also able to give warnings beforehand, and I would assume it was shown at 10pm…plus…if you wanted another reason…it wasn’t a live video of the kid drowning.

If there was a streaker on the pitch for that length of time, I’m sure the cameras would have managed to avoid it, without zooming in every 10 seconds.

Jev

Absurd to suggest BBC couldn't just have cut to the studio, of course they can do that. Vile of them to show the pictures of Sabrina. Taking a bit too long to cut away from the CPR is one thing but it should be pretty obvious you shouldn't show closeups of a woman crying because she fears her husband is dying. No excuses.

So relieved he seems to have made it. I really, really, really feared the worst for several minutes. Couldn't care less that we lost.

Halftrack

Never saw her on Swedish telly, they cut it to a camera on the roof where you hardly could see anything
Same in Denmark. After the CPR started they cut to aerial footage. Never saw his wife on tv for instance.
I'm fairly certain TV4 and whomever the Danish broadcaster is don't have the ability to switch between camera feeds, as they're not the ones in control of the production. If they kept broadcasting from cameras at the stadium, I'm pretty sure they showed the same things that the BBC did. Only way for them to have avoided doing so would have been to cut the feed entirely.

Ignore this post, I'm a fecking idiot.

Last edited:

Jev

I'm fairly certain TV4 and whomever the Danish broadcaster is don't have the ability to switch between camera feeds, as they're not the ones in control of the production. If they kept broadcasting from cameras at the stadium, I'm pretty sure they showed the same things that the BBC did. Only way for them to have avoided doing so would have been to cut the feed entirely.
That's plain wrong. Danish TV were showing helicopter shots of Parken at the same time BBC were broadcasting Sabrina's tears.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Very good of them.
Dutch tv also switched apparently. Except if the BBC have a very specific contract, there's no way they couldn't have done the same. In fact, it looks like in the countries mentioned other venue footage was shown, meaning that apparently those stations had that option available to them as well, in addition to just cutting to the studio.

The Firestarter

Are you claiming the posters lied then ? Are you also aware that the coverage package gives the broadcaster multiple feeds for the tournament. Usually not individual cameras , but streams from different locations?

MiracleInMadrid

So what are you suggesting?

I sat through the whole thing on the Danish broadcast, and they cut to live aerial footage of the stadium rather quickly. Maybe their own feed from the air around the stadium?

macheda14

Dutch tv also switched apparently. Except if the BBC have a very specific contract, there's no way they couldn't have done the same. In fact, it looks like in the countries mentioned other venue footage was shown, meaning that apparently those stations had that option available to them as well, in addition to just cutting to the studio.
BBC can pretend all they want that they are the bastion of moral broadcasting but they prove time and again that they are as sensationalist as some of the worst

Trophy Room

Not sure if this has been posted here.

Yep this is what happened - hence why defibrillator was used. The interesting thing is what caused it - less likely to be pre existing structural heart disease as the player would have been screened multiple times. There are a bunch of causes including a myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation) that can be caused by an innocuous virus.