Christian Eriksen

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thank God he’s alive (and the medical staff)

Has anyone ever collapsed on the pitch & come back to play again? Obviously there’s been fatalities & we’ve seen Muamba & Nouri have to retire. Is there any cases of someone resuming their career?

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund

Has anyone ever collapsed on the pitch & come back to play again? Obviously there’s been fatalities & we’ve seen Muamba & Nouri have to retire. Is there any cases of someone resuming their career?
Drogba?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Timing is absolutely essential right ? Usually a regular person would wait 15-20 mins for EMT, I presume the outcome after such a period is rather pessimistic.
Its kind of sad how few people in the world can rely on such first class care. Professional athletes during competitive events, people that work in medical institution buildings, heads of state (and not in every country). I know in some office buildings there are defibrillators on each floor, however how many people there are actually trained and collected enough to use it properly...
With the modern portable defibrillators you don’t really need to be trained. Just attach the sensors to the collapsed person’s chest and everything else is automatic. There’s a move to try and make sure that every amateur sports club should have one at their grounds. It could save a lot of lives.

Nick7

Daley Blind, collapsed and has a pacemaker now.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
These medics just don't get paid enough. Sometimes I feel embarrassed about how money we earn compared to these medical practitioners who save lives ever day.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

The sample size of players who needed CPR is so tiny. I only know of Muamba.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is just so incredible to watch, one of the best moments in football for years.

I hope his family are with him.
I'm sorry, but yeah it's touching but it's not the best thing in football for years.
It took for a player to collapse on a pitch
for this to happen, that isn't something to be applauded.

The Firestarter

With the modern portable defibrillators you don’t really need to be trained. Just attach the sensors to the collapsed person’s chest and everything else is automatic. There’s a move to try and make sure that every amateur sports club should have one at their grounds. It could save a lot of lives.
I was wondering about that, you also need to provide CPR in between the shocks , correct? How is it synchronised with the automatic operation? Does it give you instructions / counts?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
They're gonna see some sh*t in this world because that's the way it is, and no parents nor noone can prevent that from happening. Better to accompany, educate and prepare.
Always good to see opinions on what is good for kids from people who’ve not got them and don’t have a fecking clue.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
These medics just don't get paid enough. Sometimes I feel embarrassed about how money we earn compared to these medical practitioners who save lives ever day.
And then you read about the likes of Jeff Bezos paying almost nothing in taxes. Sad state of affairs.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I am an ICU physician and have supervised plenty of code blue situations (doing CPR, using AEDs, etc)

It is absolutely remarkable that he is alive and speaking. The medics (and referee who stopped the game instantly) are absolute heroes. The survival rate after CPR is low, and survival with good neurological outcomes (like speaking and talking) is even lower. This happened with Eriksen because of the immediate action of the medics in administering early CPR and defibrillation.

He went into SCD (Sudden Cardiac Death) from VT/VF (Ventricular Tachycardia/Fibrillation). Typically in an otherwise healthy young person, it's due to structural heart disease (like Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy - HOCM). I'm not sure if players routinely get echocardiograms when signing for clubs, which would have identified this beforehand. It's not cost-effective in the general population but I am not sure about big clubs. It could also be due to genetic arrhythymia syndromes or less likely due to electrolyte abnormalities. In any case, he is going to get a battery of tests in the hospital and leave with an implanted defibrillator (ie, pacemaker).
Fascinating insight. Thanks.

AndyMUFC

Just glad he's stable. Superb job by the medical staff. The whole thing was horrific and I don't think anyone wants to see any of those types of pictures aired ever again.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The national team doctor gave a press conference. Basically thanked everyone, said that when they were called on to the pitch, Eriksen had a pulse and was breathing on his own. However it started getting bad fast and they had to administer help to his heart. Eriksen spoke to them before being taken off to the hospital. That’s all we know of the situation.

OverratedOpinion

I'm sorry, but yeah it's touching but it's not the best thing in football for years.
It took for a player to collapse on a pitch
for this to happen, that isn't something to be applauded.
I disagree.

Seeing hundreds and hundreds of people all take part in something spontaneously that shows both the communal nature of football and the understanding that life is so much more important than a game that sometimes takes centre stage over more important issues is beautiful and actually made me feel quite emotional. Football does not do that often.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
this will sound condescending - but if you ever have children, I’ve no doubt that you will change your opinion and you will do everything you can to protect them.
It kinda does sound condescending, because you imply yours is the only and correct way to protect kids. But yeah, im not gonna try to change your mind at all. Im just glad i didn't have over protective parents. Good luck mate

Infestissumam

Bafetimbi Gomis collapsed a few times I think and came back to play. Believe he had some chronic blood pressure issue or something like that, so obviously a different situation.

The Firestarter

The national team doctor gave a press conference. Basically thanked everyone, said that when they were called on to the pitch, Eriksen had a pulse and was breathing on his own. However it started getting bad fast and they had to administer help to his heart. Eriksen spoke to them before being taken off to the hospital. That’s all we know of the situation.
That explains why the slight delay before the defibrilator was brought in. Some posters didn't waste time to jump in and criticize the responders.

OverratedOpinion

This has really made me think about how underappreciated trained medical professionals of all levels are even outside of football. I am definitely guilty of never thinking about doctors until I need one then just expecting them to be there.

Huge credit to the response today.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The team I play in, our Goal keeper has a heart condition, he collapsed on the pitch and had to have an air ambulance come out and de fib him in order to keep him alive.

He has since started playing again and collapsed multiple times, we have now forced him out of the team regrettably for his own good.

Sometimes life is far far greater than football.
I wish Eriksen all the best, amazing player and a true talent.

It kinda does sound condescending, because you imply yours is the only and correct way to protect kids. But yeah, im not gonna try to change your mind at all. Im just glad i didn't have over protective parents. Good luck mate
I think you should keep your opinions on parenting to yourself until you are in that position.

I make no qualms about stating I would probably have said something similar 5 years ago. Whilst it is a cliche, you don’t know anything about children until you are a parent yourself.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Always good to see opinions on what is good for kids from people who’ve not got them and don’t have a fecking clue.
Yeah sure, instead of gatekeeping me, maybe you could just ignore it and move on, or maybe give some constructive input as to why you disagree with me. Also i had parents don't forget and weve talked about this issues. And im a physician who work with very sick kids also. None of that is the same as having my own kids, also im not pretending to tell internet stragers how to raise kids at all. Just an opinion

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Who needs first-hand facts when you can make snap judgments from a TV screen anyway. The staff should've just consulted this guy first...
It was piss poor that the Danish team staff didn't recognise he needed CPR and we had to wait for the medics to finally get over from the opposite side of the pitch to get things going.

Simply not good enough in my opinion. This is the highest level of the game.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The manager also revealed that Simon Kjær, the captain asked to be subbed off as he couldn’t handle the situation.

The head of cardiology at Rigshospitalet, where Eriksen is under treatment gave an interview. He said he isn’t aware of the case particulars yet as a different team of doctors is working on it but he thinks it could either be a blood clot in the heart or an arrhythmia. Apparently there’s chest pain if it’s a clot but there’s no warning at all for an arrhythmia so he suspects the latter.

Somehow he seems quite confident that Eriksen can return to football. However he said he’ll be in hospital for a while to run tests for all kinds of rare abnormalities.