Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten Hag has not worked with Eriksen before. If he's getting him, it's likely to play him in his more natural position as CM or AM rather than playing him on the right. Same thing goes for Bruno. So if Eriksen comes, he's likely going to be competition for Bruno or a formation change if he wants to start both Bruno and Eriksen

He trained with Ajax before he went to Brentford

dubplate warrior

Hm. Statistically you have more of a point than I would have thought. While many of his offensive stats is 90s percentiles compared to midfielders, it is also the case that most of those associated with ball loss are single digit percentiles.

82 scoring chances created though. It's hard to imagine there were anywhere near as many in the opposite direction resulting from him giving the ball away? And I wonder how those stats looked the season before.
Football is more than stats mate, use of the eyes is key. He's a complete liability as a central player if we want to go down the possession route. He may play as a wide forward or a second striker because his decision making and use of the ball in tight spaces is frankly, quite crap.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Ten Hag has not worked with Eriksen before. If he's getting him, it's likely to play him in his more natural position as CM or AM rather than playing him on the right. Same thing goes for Bruno. So if Eriksen comes, he's likely going to be competition for Bruno or a formation change if he wants to start both Bruno and Eriksen

He played on the right, drifting centrally quite often for Pochettino. Our bigger issue isn't accommodating him but that we have 4 wide forwards, who all seem to favor cutting in from the left and Ronaldo is head and shoulders above the rest there.

cyberman

Because he treats the ball like a bomb.
Only because he’s our most creative player who has to get the ball forward time and time again or else nothing happens?
Put Eriksen and De Jong beside him and you’ll see him be happier playing sideways balls.

Von Mistelroum

Ok so I'm going to be strangely positive here for once. I would love to see Erikson and De Jong come in together. It completely changes the dynamic of our midfield transitions having two players who are comfortable in possession and can do simple passes as well as handling pressure. This would be a massive change and huge boost for our attack and defense as well.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The schedule this season is crazy, almost 2 games a week if we're reasonably succesful. I don't think we need to worry about whether he'd play with or in place of Bruno at this stage. We need quality players across the squad.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah but under a different coach
No, after being released by Inter because of the heart thing, he went to Ajax to train with them, and then Brentford signed him. So he's worked with him, just not as a competitive part of the squad, but to get himself fit again.

Ted Lasso

No, after being released by Inter because of the heart thing, he went to Ajax to train with them, and then Brentford signed him. So he's worked with him, just not as a competitive part of the squad, but to get himself fit again.
I didn't realize they had any significant time together. Even more promising to know that along with his quite stellar time with Brentford.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The schedule this season is crazy, almost 2 games a week if we're reasonably succesful. I don't think we need to worry about whether he'd play with or in place of Bruno at this stage. We need quality players across the squad.

Currently we're deprived both from quality & depth, since clearout commenced, there's simply no turning back from heavy strengthening.

At some point, even Varane's sporadic fitness problems should also be addressed right after sorting out midfield.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
He actually trained with Jong Ajax not the first team....

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Currently we're deprived both from quality & depth, since clearout commenced, there's simply no turning back from heavy strengthening.

At some point, even Varane's sporadic fitness problems should also be addressed right after sorting out midfield.
Yeah we definitely need cover/replacement for Varane at some point, he can't be relied on at all. Problem is I'd put that behind a defensively minded midfielder, a RB and a RW myself.

Oldyella

Would he have trained with the first team/coach though? Not convinced if he was there for fitness.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I didn't realize they had any significant time together. Even more promising to know that along with his quite stellar time with Brentford.
He actually trained with Jong Ajax not the first team....
Would he have trained with the first team/coach though? Not convinced if he was there for fitness.
Only Jong Ajax as the 2nd guy says! Though I'm sure Ten Hag would have gotten in touch with him/seen how he is.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Hm. Statistically you have more of a point than I would have thought. While many of his offensive stats is 90s percentiles compared to midfielders, it is also the case that most of those associated with ball loss are single digit percentiles.

82 scoring chances created though. It's hard to imagine there were anywhere near as many in the opposite direction resulting from him giving the ball away? And I wonder how those stats looked the season before.
You have to consider the system and why it is and is not acceptable to lose the ball - even with the best of intentions - we were a counter-attacking team who relied on absolutely rapid vertical counters where you want the ball moved into threatening areas of the pitch as fast as possible. In that system, Bruno may actually be one of the best in the world because he’ll hit what he sees with no hesitation and breach lines before a team have their bearings. His forte is actively encouraged in such a set up and the team is set up to cater to it; his turnovers and errant play glossed over because risk/reward states you give some to get some. In a counter-attacking side, you, as the ball user, are having others run off and away from you, you only need to hit them with your pass, which means less dribbling or running into space yourself - things Bruno is literally one of the worst in the league at. On the half turn, there mightn’t be more than a handful of players who can make something out of nothing like him in the league.

In a possession-based team, nearly all of the above is redundant, as the considered build-up demands you pick and choose your moments, based off intelligence and reading of when to try and hit killer passes - you cannot just spin and punt, so to speak - you have to know when to make your move and in the meantime remain rock-solid in the team’s schematic, which means no random, bomb punts or ‘daring’ plays whilst others are busting their arses running into positions ahead of you and the ball - there’s nothing more demoralising for others than them making considered runs - or attempting to - only to be bypassed rather than included. Chains, triangles, basic give and go rotations must be adhered to - you cannot go rogue or maverick without others wanting to murder you as you’re wasting their time and effort.

We’ve been highly dysfunctional, but a central part of why is that our playmaker simply does not follow the script when it comes to considered build-up; the discussion rages on about whether he simply cannot do so or refuses to with the jury still out, but the way he currently plays, you want that in the final third, where again it’s more encouraged than frowned upon, but you definitely do not want it in midfield where all the constructive, considered build-up is supposed to be taking place. De Jong is one of the consummate ball-carriers and chain players in the game; he requires foils who will buy into that to be effective; there isn’t a prayer Bruno can chain better than Eriksen who is selfless and thoughtful in his actions and ready and willing to be the decoy for others and then work himself back into a position to then receive the ball further up the pitch, which will invariably happen with De Jong, who has no hesitation in doing his bit deeper and then laying off for the attackers to complete.

You can’t have chance creation in lieu of the things that make an attacking midfielder go from OK to good or great, and if you are going to play someone like Bruno there, you need to optimise the whole system to his game, which means counter-attacking football, where he goes from OK to a very good player as his attributes are perfect for that kind of football and ill-suited to the other. If we get Eriksen, Bruno will be pushed forward in some capacity, I would expect.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Only because he’s our most creative player who has to get the ball forward time and time again or else nothing happens?
Put Eriksen and De Jong beside him and you’ll see him be happier playing sideways balls.
You mean behind him?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

THat's a proper wringer of a schedule.

cyberman

You mean behind him?
Not many people behind him when he’s attempting 40 yard balls over the top to be honest.
Say they are behind him, then he will be played into more dangerous positions further up the pitch than having to work back and pick the ball off when Maguire and Shaw are playing flat balls across the pitch for no reason. There won’t such a gap between he and the attackers that he has to overcome

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not many people behind him when he’s attempting 40 yard balls over the top to be honest.
Say they are behind him, then he will be played into more dangerous positions further up the pitch than having to work back and pick the ball off when Maguire and Shaw are playing flat balls across the pitch for no reason. There won’t such a gap between he and the attackers that he has to overcome
I was trying to clarify because that’ll never be a midfield here. He’d have to be ahead them waiting for them to work the ball to him; remains to be seen if he has the discipline to wait his turn, though.

cyberman

I was trying to clarify because that’ll never be a midfield here. He’d have to be ahead them waiting for them to work the ball to him; remains to be seen if he has the discipline to wait his turn, though.
True but he can always play a bit deeper positional wise but be higher up the Pitch at the same time if Ten Hag does have us pressing high in the oppositions half.
His best season for us was when Shaw and Rashford were on fire. They worked the ball up really well between them so Bruno was constantly picking up the ball high up the pitch.
They fell away, we struggled to play the ball forward with any pace and Bruno suffered.
I just hope Ten Hag has it in him to turn this team around. It’s amazing how we went from destroying teams because they came at us to crumbling when teams pressed us high.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
True but he can always play a bit deeper positional wise but be higher up the Pitch at the same time if Ten Hag does have us pressing high in the oppositions half.
His best season for us was when Shaw and Rashford were on fire. They worked the ball up really well between them so Bruno was constantly picking up the ball high up the pitch.
They fell away, we struggled to play the ball forward with any pace and Bruno suffered.
I just hope Ten Hag has it in him to turn this team around. It’s amazing how we went from destroying teams because they came at us to crumbling when teams pressed us high.
We got figured out, unfortunately. Key players sat on plus Rashford, and Shaw, fell apart. You have to factor Ronaldo into the equation, too. Bruno behind him just doesn’t work, which is another nail in the coffin for him in midfield.

GreatDane

He might not be a sexy signing like De Jong, but I'm certain he'll be a very important one if we get him.
Great player, intelligent and the opposite of a diva attitude.

Kaushal

Great news might get a better price and bung a few more quid on him staying then...
What do you think ? Would he stay at Brentford or do you think he would join us ? I might be wrong here but I get the impression that you believe he would stay with you guys.

sixdwarf

Eriksen is a top class player. But there have been questions about whether he competes for the same spot in attacking midfield as Bruno. Both play as number 10s.

I believe we have to prioritise on signing upgrades on McFred - both players who have defensive qualities. Would Eriksen fit in those positions? I do wonder.

AdNani

Going by his performance against us he plays a lot deeper than as a #10, he was often picking it up from the back 4, definitely more of an 8 now

ForeverRed1

Eriksen is a top class player. But there have been questions about whether he competes for the same spot in attacking midfield as Bruno. Both play as number 10s.

I believe we have to prioritise on signing upgrades on McFred - both players who have defensive qualities. Would Eriksen fit in those positions? I do wonder.
erik will be all over that. The only reason I’m so excited about this transfer is because I honestly believe Erik will only go for players that are going to work in his system. He’s very methodical so he won’t get him if he doesn’t have a clear plan for him and Bruno. It’s been just buy good players and make it work for so long that I understand the skepticism..

Kearnkoff69

Would love to see him here, it's a shame we didn't close the deal back when he first moved to Spurs. If ETH gets buy-in from the players for his style of play, Eriksen could be a key figure in keeping the system ticking when he's on the pitch.

C'est Moi Cantona

Really good player, great at set pieces, seems down to earth, unlikely to have any issues at been used sparingly, is still only 30, and would be free.

He just ticks so many boxes for what we have lacked for so long, it almost seems too good to be true.

dubplate warrior

He takes Bruno's spot without much of an issue. The only way Bruno starts is as a second striker or a wide forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.