Christian Pulisic | Chelsea player

TheReligion

Abusive
He's looking good for Chelsea but then again he should do at £60m.

Great age though and could be good value if he continues to develop and play in such form.

passing-wind

I don't think the fee has to or is needed as a justification of assessing his contribution, he's developed well and looks like a quality player. I'd have assumed he would have been a prime target given the width we have needed over the years and the fact he's American would surely score points with the Glazers perspective on marketability.

The reason why he's proficient is because of his technical ability to coincide his physical traits. How many talents excel in one category and severly lack the other (Ala Dan James). I agree with Lampard saying he's got the potential to reach the Salah's, he could even surpass Sterling if he applies himself.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think the fee has to or is needed as a justification of assessing his contribution, he's developed well and looks like a quality player. I'd have assumed he would have been a prime target given the width we have needed over the years and the fact he's American would surely score points with the Glazers perspective on marketability.

The reason why he's proficient is because of his technical ability to coincide his physical traits. How many talents excel in one category and severly lack the other (Ala Dan James). I agree with Lampard saying he's got the potential to reach the Salah's, he could even surpass Sterling if he applies himself.
If course the fee is relevent. £57.60m gets you Pulisic, £15m gets you Dan James.

You pay the big money you get the better players etc.

cyberman

Always have a laugh when posters claimed Chelsea never replaced Hazard despite buying this man early when they knew a ban was incoming.
Good player too.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

If course the fee is relevent. £57.60m gets you Pulisic, £15m gets you Dan James.

Exactly, prices don’t always correlate to success but we bought a young £15mil winger whilst Chelsea spent just south of £60mil for a young winger - I don’t expect him to be 4 times the player but £60mil isn’t a drop in the ocean if in this market.

I'd have assumed he would have been a prime target given the width we have needed over the years and the fact he's American would surely score points with the Glazers perspective on marketability.
If we don’t end up with Sancho I think we’ll rue missing out on Pulisic - said it when they signed him.

We’re that lacking in quality we could have pursued them both.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Il tell you what though...If Chelsea got Sancho...

ST-Werner
CAM- Ziech
RW- Sancho
LW- Pulisic
CDM- Kante

That is a core of a potential dynamite team right there.

TheReligion

Abusive
Exactly, prices don’t always correlate to success but we bought a young £15mil winger whilst Chelsea spent just south of £60mil for a young winger - I don’t expect him to be 4 times the player but £60mil isn’t a drop in the ocean if in this market.

If we don’t end up with Sancho I think we’ll rue missing out on Pulisic - said it when they signed him.

We’re that lacking in quality we could have pursued them both.
Yeah it's an odd one. I think Ole would have been interested in Pulisic but did we have Mourinho when his deal was agreed? I'm pretty confident he'd of chosen United too given he's a fan of the club.

passing-wind

This I don't entirely agree with. Pulisic was not the Pulisic we are seeing now when he left BVB he was more like a victim of Sancho's success. Dortmund aren't pushovers, if there's no clause in their players contracts as we will witness with Jadon / Dembele they'll demand ridiculous fee's for their assets.

A player will either succeed or fail in a team environment there's no option C. To me it's got nothing to do with price, price is only really a justification if the player has proven their quality at the highest level of competition. Pulisic for 60 million was a gamble for Chelsea, in fact that's an understatement, Chelsea invested In a bench performer who was in need of new surroundings. Pulisic was not super established at Dortmund, he didn't have an Mbappe like impact at the UCL and he's not done anything of note at any international tournament. He was a risk and the profile of the money Chelsea paid has in no way merited his progression. Dan James could have had just as much an influence as Christian it's just his ability limits his chances at reaching a certain level as a footballer not the price we paid.

Bayern spent almost 15 million on what I'd identify as one of the best fullbacks in Europe. Money has no place in the conversation if a clubs scouting resources are doing their jobs astutely as Chelsea have shown.

TheReligion

Abusive
This I don't entirely agree with. Pulisic was not the Pulisic we are seeing now when he left BVB he was more like a victim of Sancho's success. Dortmund aren't pushovers, if there's no clause in their players contracts as we will witness with Jadon / Dembele they'll demand ridiculous fee's for their assets.

A player will either succeed or fail in a team environment there's no option C. To me it's got nothing to do with price, price is only really a justification if the player has proven their quality at the highest level of competition. Pulisic for 60 million was a gamble for Chelsea, in fact that's an understatement, Chelsea invested In a bench performer who was in need of new surroundings. Pulisic was not super established at Dortmund, he didn't have an Mbappe like impact at the UCL and he's not done anything of note at any international tournament. He was a risk and the profile of the money Chelsea paid has in no way merited his progression. Dan James could have had just as much an influence as Christian it's just his ability limits his chances at reaching a certain level as a footballer not the price we paid.

Bayern spent almost 15 million on what I'd identify as one of the best fullbacks in Europe. Money has no place in the conversation if a clubs scouting resources are doing their jobs astutely as Chelsea have shown.
We'll agree to disagree then.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Pulisic and Hudson Odoi filling out and avoiding injuries will be quite something.

Fingers crossed!

Affirmation

I'm honestly still annoyed that we decided against signing Christian Pulisic, as a player he would of been such an upgrade over Daniel James and he's certainly worth paying extra for. He would of been a quality option to have even if we were to have signed Jadon Sancho, adding even more quality to our team. In addition to him being a boyhood Manchester United fan and an American, this made so much sense from both a football and business perceptive.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's been even better than I thought - credit to Lampard for easing him into the team; shades of what Klopp did with Fabinho.

I certainly did not expect him to be such a goal threat - right now he's averaging more shots per league match than Hazard ever did for Chelsea, and if you normalize this to per 90 the gap only widens. Obviously I'm not arguing that he's comparable as an attacking threat overall, but Pulisic's shot numbers are really tremendous for a wide player. Right now he's at 2.6 shots per league match; in his first season for Chelsea Hazard averaged 1.9 - not an insignificant gap. Some other notable players for context this season - Mane is at 2.2, Salah at 3.8, Mahrez at 2.2, Rashford at 3.3 (a bit skewed by his time filling in at CF tbf), Sterling at 2.9.

TheLord

He is a class player at such a young age. He will get better in the seasons ahead. Chelsea got lucky.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'm honestly still annoyed that we decided against signing Christian Pulisic, as a player he would of been such an upgrade over Daniel James and he's certainly worth paying extra for. He would of been a quality option to have even if we were to have signed Jadon Sancho, adding even more quality to our team. In addition to him being a boyhood Manchester United fan and an American, this made so much sense from both a football and business perceptive.
So how about Utd not repeat this mistake and go after Pulisic MkII: Gio Reyna. :D

American: Check
Dortmund: Check
Starting Games at 17: Check

jamesjimmybyrondean

I got the impression he was a shit player before Chelsea because he was a bench player at Dortmund and I think he lost his starting place there because he wasn't doing well. Not sure

edcunited1878

Who knew an American football player could be this talented?! He's the real deal and just needed to get fitness since his move from Dortmund and given his proper chance by Lampard.

Thiagoal

Il tell you what though...If Chelsea got Sancho...

ST-Werner
CAM- Ziech
RW- Sancho
LW- Pulisic
CDM- Kante

That is a core of a potential dynamite team right there.

ST-Martial
CAM- Brunooooo
RW- Sancho
LW- Rashford
CM- Pogba

Looks so much better ;)

Wayne's World

He's seemed to have kicked on a gear since the start of the year. Looks promising for Chelsea fans right now with him on the left. Definitely don't think they need to sign someone out there like I thought 6 months ago

He'sRaldo

He's been even better than I thought - credit to Lampard for easing him into the team; shades of what Klopp did with Fabinho.

I certainly did not expect him to be such a goal threat - right now he's averaging more shots per league match than Hazard ever did for Chelsea, and if you normalize this to per 90 the gap only widens. Obviously I'm not arguing that he's comparable as an attacking threat overall, but Pulisic's shot numbers are really tremendous for a wide player. Right now he's at 2.6 shots per league match; in his first season for Chelsea Hazard averaged 1.9 - not an insignificant gap. Some other notable players for context this season - Mane is at 2.2, Salah at 3.8, Mahrez at 2.2, Rashford at 3.3 (a bit skewed by his time filling in at CF tbf), Sterling at 2.9.
Yeah he reminds me of Heung-min Son with his attacking work-rate and directness. They both developed in Germany so maybe that's why they seem similar stylistically.

Also playing him in his favoured position on the left I think is having a good impact on his performances. Dortmund would play him on the right as a speedster down the line and while he was ok, he wasn't as good.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

The lockdown seemed to benefit him greatly in terms of settling in with both club and country. This feels like his second season already.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think We have to see how He performs next season. Too early to mark him as a success/failure/classy player etc.

LVGSdive

He's seemed to have kicked on a gear since the start of the year. Looks promising for Chelsea fans right now with him on the left. Definitely don't think they need to sign someone out there like I thought 6 months ago
He was injured on new years day until March then has played 3 games since football resumed. So how has he kicked on since this year started?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He seems very hard working and determined as a player.

I'm not saying he's been POTY or anything but I'm very happy with his first season, especially given his age (still only 21).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can't believe he's only 21, he's been on the scene for years

He's done better than I expected him to tbh given the fact he was basically surplus at Dortmund. If he can stay fit it'll be interesting to see how high good he can become