Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Tenet wasn't remotely hard to follow, aside from the confusing battle at the end. It's only after it's ended when things start to get wavey and it all falls apart as an idea.

SuperiorXI

I adored ‘Inception’ so much I saw it in the cinema on the day it premiered & went back twice the following week. For a more left brained individual, it was out there just far enough for me to love it initially & find new things the subsequent viewings. It certainly made me think every time.

I had similar hopes for TENET but punted an hour in. Completely out of my depth.
The first time I saw Inception in the cinema, I thought about the ending for months after until I was able to see it again. Probably the greatest cinema experience I had, what a film.

Looking forward to this. I hated TENET... really hope this is a return to form.

Eddy_JukeZ

Tenet wasn't remotely hard to follow, aside from the confusing battle at the end. It's only after it's ended when things start to get wavey and it all falls apart as an idea.
Yeah I would agree with that.

The idea behind it was fascinating IMO, but too much being wobbly with the characters, story and narrative.

Wing Attack Plan R

I enjoyed Dunkirk. It was a refreshing contrast to see Nolan produce a piece that was more linear and grounded.
TENET, interesting concept but the execution and character was lacking.
TENET is the only movie I ever stopped watching because I had no fecking clue what was taking place on the screen.
I'm all for interesting and creative idea's/concepts on time , and we all know Nolan is obsessed with the subject, but TENET was abit much, I agree.
I adored ‘Inception’ so much I saw it in the cinema on the day it premiered & went back twice the following week. For a more left brained individual, it was out there just far enough for me to love it initially & find new things the subsequent viewings. It certainly made me think every time.

I had similar hopes for TENET but punted an hour in. Completely out of my depth.
Yea tenet was a clusterfeck. Didnt have a clue what was happening and why they had to wear the masks.
The main problem with Tenet isn't the slippery narrative but that the main actor (John David Washington) has all the charisma, star power, and acting chops of a plate of wilted lettuce. Nepotism at its worst.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It makes Oppenheimer seem cool which imo seems a bit odd considering we are talking about the nuke guy. Hopefully it’s just marketing.
Oppenheimer was indeed cool. Flawed, yes, but who isn't? It's about time a movie such as this tells his story to the masses.

Oppenheimer wasn't the bad guy. Teller was. And American politicians.

Herman Toothrot

This is showing in 70mm IMAX in Manchester, as well as a couple of places in London. Will definitely be trying to see it in that format. Not sure when tickets go on sale.

dinostar77

Will wait on the caf reviews. Not too fussed about watching it unless its a solid 9 out of 10.

Sweet Square

Oppenheimer was indeed cool. Flawed, yes, but who isn't? It's about time a movie such as this tells his story to the masses.

Oppenheimer wasn't the bad guy. Teller was. And American politicians.
'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds'. Oppenheimer was clearly a complex guy and the story of doing good ending up creating humanity worst invention has the potential to be very interesting film but it isn’t cool(The fact Nolan basically compare Oppenheimer to Batman is worrying).

Obviously I’ll wait until the film comes out but I’m expecting whooping and cheering from the masses of middle aged dads as the nuke flames engulf the screen.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is showing in 70mm IMAX in Manchester, as well as a couple of places in London. Will definitely be trying to see it in that format. Not sure when tickets go on sale.
There's a bit of a behind the scenes argument going on right now where Tom Cruise is trying to get the Oppenheimer release date moved because its too close to his MI7 release and both films are on IMAX with only a finite amount of IMAX screens available.

entropy

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds'. Oppenheimer was clearly a complex guy and the story of doing good ending up creating humanity worst invention has the potential to be very interesting film but it isn’t cool(The fact Nolan basically compare Oppenheimer to Batman is worrying).

Obviously I’ll wait until the film comes out but I’m expecting whooping and cheering from the masses of middle aged dads as the nuke flames engulf the screen.
:lol: just incredible

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
There's a bit of a behind the scenes argument going on right now where Tom Cruise is trying to get the Oppenheimer release date moved because its too close to his MI7 release and both films are on IMAX with only a finite amount of IMAX screens available.
Bit of shame they're at loggerheads given they're two of the biggest proponents of maintaining the big screen experience.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

Oppenheimer quoted from the Bhagavad Gita when he said that. And he says "I", but he didn't create/design the bomb. It was a whole team of scientists. He was just the leader.

And why did they create the bomb? Because Germany might have been creating it. And who decided to bomb Japan? Not Oppenheimer.

Look, for anyone interested, read American Prometheus, the best biography I've ever read.

Oppenheimer had been and still is terribly misunderstood. It's a tragedy, really.

Belisarius

I hope they can work it out. I'm looking forward to seeing both movies and would love to be able to do so on an Imax screen.

Sweet Square

:lol: just incredible
I wish he would stop doing interviews about the film

Oppenheimer quoted from the Bhagavad Gita when he said that. And he says "I", but he didn't create/design the bomb. It was a whole team of scientists. He was just the leader.

And why did they create the bomb? Because Germany might have been creating it. And who decided to bomb Japan? Not Oppenheimer.

Look, for anyone interested, read American Prometheus, the best biography I've ever read.

Oppenheimer had been and still is terribly misunderstood. It's a tragedy, really.
Yeah I know the story just for me that doesn’t make Oppenheimer cool.

Still I’m looking forward to the film but so far everything coming out about it shows a real lack of any serious thought.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Yeah I know the story just for me that doesn’t make Oppenheimer cool.

Still I’m looking forward to the film but so far everything coming out about it shows a real lack of any serious thought.
Cool is subjective :)

For me smart is cool, and Oppenheimer was considered one of the smartest people of the 20th century.

As for the movie, I love Nolan, but I know he wouldn't be able to do justice to the insane ingenuity that went into nuclear fission

GazTheLegend

@Shakesey there's no "might have" about Germany making nuclear weapons. They were really close if not for efforts like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_heavy_water_sabotage

@Sweet Square sort of agree but the statement Oppenheimer made is the most chilling thing I have EVER heard. He wasn't wrong, and we could be looking at the extinction of all life of earth in part because of people like him, so when he says "some people laughed, some people cried, and most people were silent" about his team it captures the gravity of it all. And even today we are on the verge of Russia just deciding to obliterate our entire island (while no doubt the Royal Navy would rid the entire continent of life in Russia in retort) and I think the fact that we rely on politicians of all people to understand exactly the power they possess or that we ALLOW them to possess is presumably very difficult to comprehend when you're as intelligent a man as Oppenheimer was.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
@Shakesey there's no "might have" about Germany making nuclear weapons. They were really close if not for efforts like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_heavy_water_sabotage

@Sweet Square sort of agree but the statement Oppenheimer made is the most chilling thing I have EVER heard. He wasn't wrong, and we could be looking at the extinction of all life of earth in part because of people like him, so when he says "some people laughed, some people cried, and most people were silent" about his team it captures the gravity of it all. And even today we are on the verge of Russia just deciding to obliterate our entire island (while no doubt the Royal Navy would rid the entire continent of life in Russia in retort) and I think the fact that we rely on politicians of all people to understand exactly the power they possess or that we ALLOW them to possess is presumably very difficult to comprehend when you're as intelligent a man as Oppenheimer was.
They were not close... Not much else I can say.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I hope he uses more rewind scenes and complicated stories that only himself understands(and his die hard fans of course) so we can admire his out of the world writing and production again.

On a serious note, I hope he makes good film, it's been too long. One that you can rewatch every few years instead of pretending it's good and never be bothered to watch again, because he is quite capable of that if he doesn't feck around and concentrates more on the story, acting, and less on making terrible noises, terrible writings and scenes like going backwards and stuff.

That black and white comment doesn't smell good tbf.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just bought my ticket for the Thursday opening of Oppenheimer at the local IMAX (actually the tallest in the world) through the theater's website. Don't even see the 'coming soon' poster / 'buy now' button for MI7 yet.

The Firestarter

Germany was not at all close even theoretically. They didn't believe that such an yield could be achieved from that small mass of reactive material, and the anecdote is that some of the scientists there (by that time already occupied Germany, so no longer on this program) were actually in disbelief after Hiroshima happened.

The Manhatten project was far far bigger than a bunch of smart asses in Los Alamos. Many other challenges were solved to create the industrial base that was necessary for the enrichment of material.

That being said, the extent of how not close Germany was to it, became clear only after the war ended.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just bought my ticket for the Thursday opening of Oppenheimer at the local IMAX (actually the tallest in the world) through the theater's website. Don't even see the 'coming soon' poster / 'buy now' button for MI7 yet.
Tom needs to learn his role in the pecking order behind big daddy Nolan. :cool:

Wittmann45

Germany was not at all close even theoretically. They didn't believe that such an yield could be achieved from that small mass of reactive material, and the anecdote is that some of the scientists there (by that time already occupied Germany, so no longer on this program) were actually in disbelief after Hiroshima happened.

The Manhatten project was far far bigger than a bunch of smart asses in Los Alamos. Many other challenges were solved to create the industrial base that was necessary for the enrichment of material.

That being said, the extent of how not close Germany was to it, became clear only after the war ended.
I remember hearing that in the immediate post war the places where the German scientists were being held were bugged. It was through listening to these conversations that the Allies realized how far away the Germans were from producing an atomic weapon.

People look at the atomic bomb race as a battle of minds when in fact it was achieved, in part, by smart people but only achieved because of a virtually unprecedented level of funding. Germany was never willing nor capable during the war of directing that level of funding to their nuclear bomb program

Sweet Square

Oh yeah I wasn’t really criticising Oppenheimer more that so far everything around this film isn’t exactly treating the topic seriously(It’s more Nolan nerding out on the science).

Although of course way too early to say though.

foolsgold

Really good couple of podcast episodes on Oppenheimer from the "The Rest is History" team this week, definitely made me want to see the movie more after listening to them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Heard the same stuff about Dunkirk and that movie was boring as feck.
It was poor and totally missed the point of the small boat armada with many boats going back and forth a number of times. That is where the best bit of the story was and he neglected it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Filmmakers often go through these mid career periods where they occasionally miss the mark. Tarantino has also somewhat drifted into this territory.
I only really liked Memento and Insomnia. The Batman stuff was Ok but still just more superhero bollocks. Inception impressed me as it shouldn't have held together, but more or less did. However, I haven't liked much else of his and hated Interstellar and was deeply meh about Dunkirk.