Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What a bunch of overly critical snobs.

Tenet is really the only movie he's made where he missed the mark for me. He's still one of the handful of directors I will go see on opening week.
I loved the first two Batman films and Momento. But the rest not so much. Inception was too gimmicky / tacky. Instellar was fine / goodish but I didn't find it to be a great film. Dunkirk was alright aside from cinematography.

I've yet to see Tenet but I'm not enthusiastic about his work anymore.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well, he did make Dunkirk. Not his best though.
I didn't like Dunkirk much. Boring (amazingly) and missed the most interesting bit - that many of the small boats made multiple journeys.

Last edited:

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Dunkirk was a disaster of a movie..Nolans worst by a mile.. Tenet was his "look i am too smart" movie but it had its good moments.Dunkirk had none..

flameinthesun

Love Tenet and Dunkirk. Interstellar, Inception, Tenet, regardless of people's views on the range of quality there are not a lot of sci fi films as entertaining as the ones Nolan makes. Not everything has to be an awards contender and frankly I'd take the "trying to be too clever" Tenet over the majority of sci fi's made over the last however many decades.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Love Tenet and Dunkirk. Interstellar, Inception, Tenet, regardless of people's views on the range of quality there are not a lot of sci fi films as entertaining as the ones Nolan makes. Not everything has to be an awards contender and frankly I'd take the "trying to be too clever" Tenet over the majority of sci fi's made over the last however many decades.
I agree. Nolan is class.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't quite understand what people can find boring from a trailer. We have no idea what the angle is going to be, how it's going to be treated, what the film is gonna be focused on. It has a top notch cast led by one of the most talented working actors, and it's about a seminal moment in humanity's scientific progress, which asks loads of questions about us as a species and about our evolution.

Beyond posturing, I don't see what at this stage can be perceived as boring with regards to this project. It might well end up being boring, of course, but we have no idea of that yet.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't quite understand what people can find boring from a trailer. We have no idea what the angle is going to be, how it's going to be treated, what the film is gonna be focused on. It has a top notch cast led by one of the most talented working actors, and it's about a seminal moment in humanity's scientific progress, which asks loads of questions about us as a species and about our evolution.

Beyond posturing, I don't see what at this stage can be perceived as boring with regards to this project. It might well end up being boring, of course, but we have no idea of that yet.
It’s a boring trailer. I’m just calling it as I see it. No posturing on my part. Loads of moody shots of Cillian Murphy looking like he has stomach cramps. And that’s about it.

It might well be an amazing movie but right now we only have the trailer to go on. And it doesn’t make me want to watch the movie because it makes it seem boring.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mean, if you want to give any kind of importance to a 2mn trailer, even though trailers are more often than not absolutely not indicative of the quality of the film, that's cool. I'd rather focus on the cast, the source material, and the director, which are more solid indicators that it likely won't be boring - which I won't know anyway until the film actually comes out.

It's actually not a particularly boring trailer. It seems to indicate it will put the question of ethics and morality in creating the bomb at the heart of the film, and Oppenheimer's dilemma in participating in the project, which is the most interesting thing about all this imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean, if you want to give any kind of importance to a 2mn trailer, even though trailers are more often than not absolutely not indicative of the quality of the film, that's cool. I'd rather focus on the cast, the source material, and the director, which are more solid indicators that it likely won't be boring - which I won't know anyway until the film actually comes out.

It's actually not a particularly boring trailer. It seems to indicate it will put the question of ethics and morality in creating the bomb at the heart of the film, and Oppenheimer's dilemma in participating in the project, which is the most interesting thing about all this imo.
Most interesting, sure. Most cinematic? Not likely.

Anyway. More than happy to agree to disagree. It’s only a fecking trailer. I think it makes the movie look dull. You don’t. No biggie.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

Basically every scientist at Los Alamos grappled with this. They were in a race with their German colleagues and friends. The scientific community was really close pre-war. And then the politicians fecking dropped the thing.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The story has a massive potential in terms of fighting against time/other countries to finish one of the biggest scientific projects ever with an army of people working 24/7 on it. The Manhattan project grown from the original and authorized $6,000 to $2 billion. In the end, you successfully finish the project and make something remarkable from a scientific point of view, only for that thing to be the most devastating weapon ever created. The inner conflict has to be quite something and hopefully he will touch upon that as well.

Happy it got in Nolan hands and more than happy he takes a breather from fantasy/time travel themes. I quite liked Dunkirk for example.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I loved the first two Batman films and Momento. But the rest not so much. Inception was too gimmicky / tacky. Instellar was fine / goodish but I didn't find it to be a great film. Dunkirk was alright aside from cinematography.

I've yet to see Tenet but I'm not enthusiastic about his work anymore.
Everyone always forgets his best movie and that makes me sad.

Sweet Square

I’m excited to see the film but it’s worth saying Nolan has the politics of David Cameron/Obama.

It’s very likely the film will end up say making nukes and dropping them on Japan, was a difficult but necessary choice. The movie is going to be that dull and boring in terms of ideology.

Hope I’m wrong though.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Everyone always forgets his best movie and that makes me sad.
The Prestige? Probably favorite of mine.

I’m excited to see the film but it’s worth saying Nolan has the politics of David Cameron/Obama.

It’s very likely the film will end up say making nukes and dropping them on Japan, was a difficult but necessary choice. The movie is going to be that dull and boring in terms of ideology.
Yeah, that would be a waste of story. It was much more than that, both on a global scale and from Oppenheimer point of view.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Prestige? Probably favorite of mine.

Yeah, that would be a waste of story. It was much more than that, both on a global scale and from Oppenheimer point of view.
That's the one!

Are you watching closely...

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

A trailer that gives too much away makes some feel they have seen a 2 hour film in 2 minutes; a trailer that reveals little does not convince others that it will deliver on the pieces you have not seen at all.

Simply put, you can't win everyone over. Like you said, You have a proven director, cast and support members which will put what is a fascinating story into (hopefully) an enthralling picture motion. A significant part of history that should be documented appropriately for the big screen, and I fully trust Nolan to deliver.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Nolan trailers are the best because they barely reveal anything but still give you a flavour of the movie. The trailer for Interstellar being particularly good. Goes against the modern trend of ruining the movie, or showing you the only good/funny bits.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Nolan trailers are the best because they barely reveal anything but still give you a flavour of the movie. The trailer for Interstellar being particularly good. Goes against the modern trend of ruining the movie, or showing you the only good/funny bits.
We only get a few Cillian Murphy expressions and "nuclear explosions", but many will still be keen to watch it.

He's a big enough name of a director to get people seeing it on the big screen.

phelans shorts

Basically every scientist at Los Alamos grappled with this. They were in a race with their German colleagues and friends. The scientific community was really close pre-war. And then the politicians fecking dropped the thing.
There’s actually a really interesting story about how the soviets discovered something (Manhattan Project) was in the works. Basically a lecturer had been on the front line for two years, was given leave and decided to see what his favourite scientists had written in the time he was gone, and found absolutely nothing. Took this to soviet high command because they must have been working together on the war effort and it turned out they were very, very correct.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I rented Tenet 2 times on Amazon Prime. I still do not get it.
Is Tenet 2 the one where they've got to stop Michael Caine from getting younger because it'll destroy time as we know it, but the only person who can get through the reverse time stream without dying is a moonwalking Michael Jackson/Caine impersonator?

Gavinb33

Tenet had such bad sound editing I tuned out of it completely by the end.

I love Nolan's films Inception and Interstellar are great movies that I've watched multiple times.

Dunkirk the spitfire scenes were epic but the rest was kind of meh to me.

And of course the batman movies were brilliant and probably set a level of filmmaking that hasn't been met on other super hero movie.

I will be watching this for sure, films with historical content are very much in my wheelhouse.

lsd

The Oracle
I'll probably see it but he is very overrated. I always get the impression he cannot really tell a story and has to mask it with gimmicks like messing with the sound.

He does get very good actors and to be honest doesn't really get that much out of them other than the sense they are often as confused as us watching the film

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wait, I've got it. He's regurgitating the black and white/colour thing he did in Momento.

Scenes in black and white will be told in chronological order, whilst scenes in colour will be in reverse. But this time they will be properly in reverse, like someone is winding the tape backwards. And the bomb is needed to make things go forwards again. Like Tenet and Opposite-Heimer, and that other movie I'm misremembering because nobody told me that the new bottle of floor cleaner in the cupboard wasn't a late Christmas present *burp*.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'll probably see it but he is very overrated. I always get the impression he cannot really tell a story and has to mask it with gimmicks like messing with the sound.

He does get very good actors and to be honest doesn't really get that much out of them other than the sense they are often as confused as us watching the film
Also the non-chronological way of showing movie scenes. Boring.