Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Boring dude who makes movies for people who think they enjoy good movies when they're actually still wading the water of IMDB's Top 250.

He does do it very well admittedly.
He’s got it all figured out gang.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Boring dude who makes movies for people who think they enjoy good movies when they're actually still wading the water of IMDB's Top 250.

He does do it very well admittedly.
Incredibly pretentious and unnecessary. Kind of post that leads to this ridiculous schism between art house and popular cinema.

He's a very, very good director.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
What a load of shit.
He’s got it all figured out gang.
Incredibly pretentious and unnecessary. Kind of post that leads to this ridiculous schism between art house and popular cinema.

He's a very, very good director.
I'll admit that post did come across very badly looking back. I was going for tongue-in-cheek - hence the last bit about him being good at what he does - but that first sentence sounds far too incendiary.

His Batman movies are still the pinnacle of superhero movies for me.

Last edited:

Pickle85

I'm not a fan of his either. *ducks*. Obviously a very talented director and can shoot a helluvan action scene but his films are really not as clever/philosophical as he seems to think but he has a very dedicated fanbase that eats his cod philosophy and pseudo science up. I enjoyed Inception (though it was a bit silly), thought Memento was meh and hated Tenet. His Batman was decent but, again, he just seems to take himself so seriously.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'll admit that post did come across very badly. I was going for tongue-in-cheek - hence the last bit about him being good at what he does - but that first sentence sounds too incendiary looking back

His Batman movies are still the pinnacle of superhero movies
It's a low bar but I'd put Watchmen up there. It doesn't touch the graphic novel obviously but at least it had the R rating.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Yeah I liked Watchmen the one time I saw it. Seems like a lot of the people who read the graphic novel didn't rate it though
Oh it fails spectacularly in many ways but compared to the superhero movies that have come since it's a work of art.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I got a bad feeling about this. A story like Oppenheimer's is bound to be dialogue-heavy and writing dialogues is Nolan's biggest weakness in my opinion.

I don't remember where I read it(I think it was The Tipping Point), but Oppenheimer was supposedly not the most qualified person for the job? It's not that he was unqualified either, but he largely landed the job because of his charm and eloquence. If there is one big-name director who is likely to kill this charm and eloquence through his writing, then it's Nolan. I hope he proves me wrong, though! I'll take Nolan over Marvel and Disney live action remakes any day of the week.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’d like to see him return to a lower budget piece at some point - somewhere between Memento and Prestige.

Idxomer

I got a bad feeling about this. A story like Oppenheimer's is bound to be dialogue-heavy and writing dialogues is Nolan's biggest weakness in my opinion.

I don't remember where I read it(I think it was The Tipping Point), but Oppenheimer was supposedly not the most qualified person for the job? It's not that he was unqualified either, but he largely landed the job because of his charm and eloquence. If there is one big-name director who is likely to kill this charm and eloquence through his writing, then it's Nolan. I hope he proves me wrong, though! I'll take Nolan over Marvel and Disney live action remakes any day of the week.
I saw a leaked trailer, very exposition heavy.

Sweet Square

You would say this for any story of any kind :D (I'm assuming this is Paul verhoeven)
:lol:

Pretty much. Can you imagine the sound system blasting out some b side Jerry Goldsmith with close up shots of Cillian Murphy looking like Skullface from MGSV, as he quotes Fox News anchors.

The audience would spend all movie waiting to see the nuclear “money shot” in glorious imax 70mm and Verhoeven would punish them with a 10 minute black screen shot full of nothing but human screams. Everyone would hate it, including critics and it would be one of the best films of all time.

Instead we are likely to get a god awful 3 hour long film about how Oppenheimer was just a family man caught in the middle between wanting to help the war effort and pushing forward the dangers of science. All while the audience creams themselves over the most realistic looking nuclear death recreations in cinema history. Oh and the soundtrack will give you a headache.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Has anyone figured out what the "Nolan juice" will be for this movie? The thing he has to add to make it "Nolanesque" because he can't make a normal movie.

Simple black & white / colour changes aren't going to be enough. It'll need to be atoms floating around telling his story in English every fourth word but in backwards German for the rest, with upside down cameras filming everything upside down so it looks the right way up anyway. And the atoms turn into time machines or something so the film starts with him dying and ends with his mum shagging the postman, who turns out to be him in disguise.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
One thing for sure - there will be Hans Zimmer-esque melodramatic music to imitate substance where there is none.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Has anyone figured out what the "Nolan juice" will be for this movie? The thing he has to add to make it "Nolanesque" because he can't make a normal movie.
An animated Matt Damon will occasionally pop up down in the right corner of the screen like Clippy and blast exposition in the same tone of voice as the NSA rant in Good Will Hunting.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
An animated Matt Damon will occasionally pop up down in the right corner of the screen like Clippy and blast exposition in the same tone of voice as the NSA rant in Good Will Hunting.
:lol: this could work

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He didn't direct Man of steel.
Feck, my bad.

Name a director who gets 10 out of 10. Even scorccese has his share of meh movies.

He's not the best director ever but he's a good if not great director. And we're only paying 8 dollars to see his movies. The same we paid to see Marvel dross
I don't think there are many directors who are much better on average, but his latest films have all been pretty much disappointment/average.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Name a director who gets 10 out of 10. Even scorccese has his share of meh movies.

He's not the best director ever but he's a good if not great director. And we're only paying 8 dollars to see his movies. The same we paid to see Marvel dross
Lee Chang-dong is yer man. He hasn't made a single not-brilliant movie (6 and counting)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'll admit that post did come across very badly looking back. I was going for tongue-in-cheek - hence the last bit about him being good at what he does - but that first sentence sounds far too incendiary.

His Batman movies are still the pinnacle of superhero movies for me.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Pretty much. Can you imagine the sound system blasting out some b side Jerry Goldsmith with close up shots of Cillian Murphy looking like Skullface from MGSV, as he quotes Fox News anchors.

The audience would spend all movie waiting to see the nuclear “money shot” in glorious imax 70mm and Verhoeven would punish them with a 10 minute black screen shot full of nothing but human screams. Everyone would hate it, including critics and it would be one of the best films of all time.

Instead we are likely to get a god awful 3 hour long film about how Oppenheimer was just a family man caught in the middle between wanting to help the war effort and pushing forward the dangers of science. All while the audience creams themselves over the most realistic looking nuclear death recreations in cinema history. Oh and the soundtrack will give you a headache.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Still haven't forgiven him for that bit in Tennet where they blow up and unblow up the building at exactly the same time.

Jericholyte2

I do find it hilarious that an internet board can write-off the director of Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Inception & Dunkirk as being average.

When Interstellar is one of your lesser films then your bar is ridiculously high.

Sweet Square

I know cinema is all about the vibes and it’s almost impossible to say why I like x film so much but can someone say why they like Nolan work ?

Is it the science stuff ? The plots ? Acting ?

I do enjoy listening to the guy talk about film and he clearly cares about film as a form of art but for me at least I’ve always found his films are basically instagram posts for middle age dads. Why isn’t this the case ?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This is the most interesting I’ve been in a Nolan film as it will hopefully require him to say something political.

Too many of his films are devoid of any substance and are more like watching a experienced watchmaker, impressive but dull.
The 3 ages of Nolan
1998-2002 - interesting and innovative
2005-2012 - watchable popular popcorn
2014 on - visually impressive rubbish

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I know cinema is all about the vibes and it’s almost impossible to say why I like x film so much but can someone say why they like Nolan work ?

Is it the science stuff ? The plots ? Acting ?

I do enjoy listening to the guy talk about film and he clearly cares about film as a form of art but for me at least I’ve always found his films are basically instagram posts for middle age dads. Why isn’t this the case ?
Located Gareth Southgate's Caf account.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I do find it hilarious that an internet board can write-off the director of Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Inception & Dunkirk as being average.

When Interstellar is one of your lesser films then your bar is ridiculously high.
Interstellar was a terrible film. Utter nonsense.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I thought it was exceptional, one of the best sci-fi films ever. Tennet was horrific mind.
The bookshelf thing was the end for me. I was just about holding my disbelief together but that tipped me over the edge into annoyance.

Tennet wasn't great either.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Inception worked for me as the whole thing started out as impossible so it just needed to be true to the original idea. Which it did, somewhat to my surprise.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
[Scene: Exterior, New Mexico testing grounds. A bunker is filled with tense scientists and military leaders, a timers is running down.....Five.....Four.....Three... TWO...ONE [Blinding light streams through a small opening and a moment later a huge explosion is heard.

The dust settles...

A toilet flushes....

A British General acting as Military Liason emerges from the WC and looks at the scene of devastation.

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
:lol: Love those scenes from The Trip when the two lads were doing their Caine impressions.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Cillian Murphy is so bloody good at transforming his voice, it’s utterly brilliant. I’m also laughing though because Torgier from Lillyhammer is in this.

But now we know what the Nolan juice is going to be in this movie. The explosions, which will start as a fart in the wind and progress into big burny balls of death as the movie goes on. Then the final explosion will be lots of nuclear spiders.

The Firestarter

The whole Manhattan project was full of all heavyweights of the time such as Bohr, Fermi, Bethe, and the future rock star Feynman who all had objectively made bigger contributions to Physics than Openheimer. I think he was chosen for his administrative and organisational abilities , it's extremely hard to manage such a a group.