City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

thisisnottaken1

I saw an ad on Netflix for City's 22-23 season with "unprecedented" in the short summary. I'm fairly certain a treble had been previously achieved by an English club.
Seriously though, how the hell is it “unprecedented”? They’re just trying to piss us off I feel

HTG

Supports
Bayern
An alarming number of posters in this thread who've somehow never encountered rimaldo before!
It’s like seeing someone walk along street who doesn’t know to sidestep dogshit. It really is fascinating.

Fingeredmouse

Answer me this - if United were so "lucky" with the referees - why were there teams who were 20-30 points behind United, (and scored a lot less) - who received a lot more penalties than United ?
Here is a list of the first 7 seasons showing the team who won the most penalties - and United

92/93 Liverpool 8 - United 3
93/94 Newcastle 9 - United 3
94/95 Blackburn 11 - United 5
95/96 West Ham (!) 5 - United 4
96/97 Arsenal 7 - United 5
97/98 Everton 6 - United 4
98/99 Liverpool 7 - United 3

So in the first 7 years, of P.L - United received a total of 27 penalties - an average of just below 4 penalties a season. Arsenal who were crap for most of this time and hardly scored a goal received just 2 less penalties. So if United bribed refs, they really did a crap job.
A fine riposte, but how can you, as a scout here, not know who you're replying to?

lysglimt

Scout
there’s a replication crisis in science and they can’t recreate the scenario where united conceded 3 penalties in one match. it’s that much of an anomaly that most experts agree it didn’t happen.

the other teams had to be given so many penalties to try and counteract all the cheating in united’s favour.
Well - the stats clearly indicates that Arsenal chated a lot more than United. If we say United on average scored 75 goals those first 7 seasons - and Arsenal scored 50 goals. Statistically that should indicate that United should receive 1/3 more penalties as well - so clearly Arsenal cheated

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Well - the stats clearly indicates that Arsenal chated a lot more than United. If we say United on average scored 75 goals those first 7 seasons - and Arsenal scored 50 goals. Statistically that should indicate that United should receive 1/3 more penalties as well - so clearly Arsenal cheated
Seriously, have you never seen a @rimaldo post?!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

subotai

This is unassailable logic. I've done the math and I've found that Arsenal did indeed score 50 goals. United only scored an average of 75 goals in those first 7 seasons. Not 74, not 76. This is clear evidence that Arsenal were chating.

Explain that, boffins.

tomaldinho1

This is unassailable logic. I've done the math and I've found that Arsenal did indeed score 50 goals. United only scored an average of 75 goals in those first 7 seasons. Not 74, not 76. This is clear evidence that Arsenal were chating.

Explain that, boffins.
Not only that but Wenger wore that long padded coat, the perfect flashers mac that he would use to give oppo players a quick glance at his legumes if he needed to put them off.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I saw an ad on Netflix for City's 22-23 season with "unprecedented" in the short summary. I'm fairly certain a treble had been previously achieved by an English club.
Now I'm doubly convinced that City's logo (it's not a crest or badge) being prominent in some scenes of 3 Body Problem was marketing by them.

Poignant scene remembering a deceased friend? Lets have him look at a Manchester City shot glass.

lysglimt

Scout

Explain that, boffins.
Of course it is - as a response to that stupid post from the other guy

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
It's the Dailymail, but still - one can imagine that such a 'tax' would be an incredible opportunity to fill people's pockets left, right and centre:

Premier League eyeing ABOLISHING points deductions and introducing an NBA-style 'luxury tax' over fears top stars will leave if rules restrict their pay - after Everton and Nottingham Forest lost points

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13271249/Premier-League-eyeing-ABOLISHING-points-deductions-introducing-NBA-style-luxury-tax-fears-stars-leave-rules-restrict-pay-Everton-Nottingham-Forest-lost-points.html

Premier League clubs are considering abolishing points deductions and introducing a 'luxury tax', Mail Sport can reveal.

The hefty points-deduction punishments for Everton and Nottingham Forest - coupled with a quiet January transfer window as clubs did not dare overspend and risk sanction - have left many officials to deem the league's Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR) not fit for purpose.

There are also grave fears are that, under its current guise, PSR will see the Premier League fall from its lucrative position as the world's best league because it will no longer be able to afford the best players on the best salaries.

(...)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It's the Dailymail, but still - one can imagine that such a 'tax' would be an incredible opportunity to fill people's pockets left, right and centre:

Premier League eyeing ABOLISHING points deductions and introducing an NBA-style 'luxury tax' over fears top stars will leave if rules restrict their pay - after Everton and Nottingham Forest lost points

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13271249/Premier-League-eyeing-ABOLISHING-points-deductions-introducing-NBA-style-luxury-tax-fears-stars-leave-rules-restrict-pay-Everton-Nottingham-Forest-lost-points.html

Premier League clubs are considering abolishing points deductions and introducing a 'luxury tax', Mail Sport can reveal.

The hefty points-deduction punishments for Everton and Nottingham Forest - coupled with a quiet January transfer window as clubs did not dare overspend and risk sanction - have left many officials to deem the league's Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR) not fit for purpose.

There are also grave fears are that, under its current guise, PSR will see the Premier League fall from its lucrative position as the world's best league because it will no longer be able to afford the best players on the best salaries.

(...)
Erm ok, that sounds like it'd be fair and not open to abuse at all. Also do Everton get their points back?

WitchWithoutACat

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ay-Everton-Nottingham-Forest-lost-points.html

(...)
aka, how city can pay a fine for their 115 charges

Wrecking ralf

That can’t be true. Imagine the backlash as it would be obvious it’s being done to spare city losing out.

tomaldinho1

That can’t be true. Imagine the backlash as it would be obvious it’s being done to spare city losing out.
Realistically though, what backlash would there be? Fans will still go to stadiums, people will grumble about it but the money will keep pouring in.

VARsenal

Supports
Arsenal

(...)
Wow, that sounds awful. The PL are essentially saying you can spend as much as you want as long as you give us little on the side.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Wow, that sounds awful. The PL are essentially saying you can spend as much as you want as long as you give us little on the side.
No, this is actually great*

This is a great way to rein in spending across the board. Establish a threshold. You're free to spend however much you want. But above the threshold, the tax becomes more and more punitive. Spend £100m above the threshold? You must remit an additional £500m to the PL that will distribute that tax to the other 19 teams and rest of the pyramid.

*Under no circumstance must this be applied to current cases being investigated. But going forward great idea.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't they do this in MLB, anybody goes over the threshold, they pay luxury tax and it gets shared out between the teams that didn't.

SuperiorXI

This is a great way to rein in spending across the board. Establish a threshold. You're free to spend however much you want. But above the threshold, the tax becomes more and more punitive. Spend £100m above the threshold? You must remit an additional £500m to the PL that will distribute that tax to the other 19 teams and rest of the pyramid.

*Under no circumstance must this be applied to current cases being investigated. But going forward great idea.
I thought that FFP was designed to protect clubs though? If there's a loophole like this then the protection can be easily voided, then we must ask ourselves what's the point in FFP?

Grundig

Ratcliffe has talked to Masters, and told him this is the only way United can spend during next transfer window. United are in deep shit when it comes to PSR.

Wrecking ralf

Realistically though, what backlash would there be? Fans will still go to stadiums, people will grumble about it but the money will keep pouring in.
Well I’d hope people would have an issue with a cheating club benefiting from rule changes that are designed to help them escape punishment. Especially when clubs have already been punished for less. What would even be the point of watching a sport that was like that? I’d certainly be fecking it off if that happened.

adexkola

Supports
I thought that FFP was designed to protect clubs though? If there's a loophole like this then the protection can be easily voided, then we must ask ourselves what's the point in FFP?
It wasn't.

But let's proceed with that assumption.

Mandate that all financial commitments made be backed with actual funds placed in escrow.

You want your dictator to fund the next Bruno Fernandez? He will cost 45m + 20m in salary over 4 years. Mandate that all funds not payable immediately be placed in an escrow account, only accessible for the purposes of fulfilling obligations to said player.

If there are any financial issues going forward, this will ensure that all current financial obligations can be paid without putting the club at risk of liquidation or extreme distress.

VARsenal

Supports
Arsenal

okay, fair enough, wasn't aware about the redistribution of the tax to the pyramid. Would that be a guarantee though or is there a chance a bunch of PL executives redistribute that to themselves and their mates/families somehow?

That said, it would be such a disgrace if this were to somehow come in just before City's charges are trialed and they are punished with fines instead of something worthy of their cheating.

SuperiorXI

It wasn't.

But let's proceed with that assumption.

Mandate that all financial commitments made be backed with actual funds placed in escrow.

You want your dictator to fund the next Bruno Fernandez? He will cost 45m + 20m in salary over 4 years. Mandate that all funds not payable immediately be placed in an escrow account, only accessible for the purposes of fulfilling obligations to said player.

If there are any financial issues going forward, this will ensure that all current financial obligations can be paid without putting the club at risk of liquidation or extreme distress.
That would be extremely unfair as you know only a small number of clubs in the world could operate like that.

Grundig

Well I’d hope people would have an issue with a cheating club benefiting from rule changes that are designed to help them escape punishment. Especially when clubs have already been punished for less. What would even be the point of watching a sport that was like that? I’d certainly be fecking it off if that happened.
These rules changes are not designed to help City escape punishment. These rules changes are designed to help United invest in the next transfer window.

adexkola

Supports
That would be extremely unfair as you know only a small number of clubs in the world could operate like that.
Oh absolutely!

But we've been told that football is unfair and there are big clubs and there are small clubs and we have to deal with it. In that framework, this is less fair.

I'd just seize power, have my chief executioner @JPRouve fire Tebas and Agnelli out of cannons, and institute hard spending caps across the board. But that's me :D

tomaldinho1

I think for older people maybe it would kill football for them and they'd lose interest but you only need to see the amount of kids wearing City tops to understand that unless the media start to call them out and they get made an example of, the vast majority of football fans will complain but do nothing about it. Maybe you'll get a few empty seats at their away games for a season or two and some sponsors might be wary but they won't care, they self sponsor anyway.

Bosws87

Would be the end of the league it’s already becoming dull and predictable.

Greed is such a horrible human trait and destroyed so many great things.

zbcrow15

(...)
So basically City can buy anyone they want and just pay the tax afterwards. That will definitely help level the field for the smaller clubs l o l

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Oh absolutely!

But we've been told that football is unfair and there are big clubs and there are small clubs and we have to deal with it. In that framework, this is less fair.

I'd just seize power, have my chief executioner @JPRouve fire Tebas and Agnelli out of cannons, and institute hard spending caps across the board. But that's me :D
I'm proud to accept the position. I would add Perez, the Glazer family as well as both the UEFA and ECA current and previous board members.