City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Ah, if the rules don’t allow for City to be deemed innocent, we just abolish punishments. Very smart indeed.

RoyH1

If City is allowed to come off this with the new sanctions system of just paying a fine, I’ll drop watching the Premier League.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So basically City can buy anyone they want and just pay the tax afterwards. That will definitely help level the field for the smaller clubs l o l
It’s a dumb change. But no way on earth can Coty be punished under new rules. They committed 115 charges under the current rules. They’ll be punished according to them.

zbcrow15

It’s a dumb change. But no way on earth can Coty be punished under new rules. They committed 115 charges under the current rules. They’ll be punished according to them.
I agree. It will allow any team with a huge bankroll to just do whatever and pay a "tax" at the end of the year, which for some of these oil states would be chump change.

eire-red

What a particularly terrible time to announce something like this. Nevermind City, if you're a fan of Everton and Nottingham Forest you must be fuming, especially if you get relegated.

The uncertainty of this all is making a mockery of the game.

LordSpud

Really? I reckon they will be punished by the rules as they stand when the punishment is actually given (I believe it could be the end of next season) in which case it could be a ten million fine maybe?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Really? I reckon they will be punished by the rules as they stand when the punishment is actually given (I believe it could be the end of next season) in which case it could be a ten million fine maybe?
No

They should and will be judged, and punished (if found guilty) according to rules in place at the time of alleged violations

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If they aren’t adequately punished, the PL is dead, they just don’t know it yet.

How they have been allowed to get to a stage where they have a bench of Ederson, Akanji, Nunes, Bernardo, Foden, Kovacic, Doku for a must win away game is farsical.

Good squad building is easy when you break all the rules. If it’s allowed, it’s over.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
If they aren’t adequately punished, the PL is dead, they just don’t know it yet.

How they have been allowed to get to a stage where they have a bench of Ederson, Akanji, Nunes, Bernardo, Foden, Kovacic, Doku for a must win away game is farsical.

Good squad building is easy when you break all the rules. If it’s allowed, it’s over.
I’m pretty sure they are comparable to Utd and Chelsea in terms of spending though. They’ve just a) done it very well, and b) have virtually no injuries at the moment. I bet you could pick a Utd team with no injuries and have a bench that vastly outweighs the cost of the bottom 15 teams.

Remember that from the perspective of most PL teams the amount that Utd can spend is an absolute pipe dream. And yet those fans don’t consider the Premiership dead.

Flying high

I’m pretty sure they are comparable to Utd and Chelsea in terms of spending though. They’ve just a) done it very well, and b) have virtually no injuries at the moment. I bet you could pick a Utd team with no injuries and have a bench that vastly outweighs the cost of the bottom 15 teams.

Remember that from the perspective of most PL teams the amount that Utd can spend is an absolute pipe dream. And yet those fans don’t consider the Premiership dead.
It's not simply about money spent, it's the systematic breaking of many different rules. And the continued attempts to hide this rule breaking. The strong arming of media, politicians and football authorities to delay their inevitable punishments.

We all know that they've been breaking rules since the start. Their sponsorship deals, cheap signings and relatively low wages. The fact that so few fringe players want to leave. Or star players never being poached, as has happened to every other english team, even the succesful ones. The 115 charges likely only cover a fraction of the actual offences they've commited.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It's not simply about money spent, it's the systematic breaking of many different rules. And the continued attempts to hide this rule breaking. The strong arming of media, politicians and football authorities to delay their inevitable punishments.

We all know that they've been breaking rules since the start. Their sponsorship deals, cheap signings and relatively low wages. The fact that so few fringe players want to leave. Or star players never being poached, as has happened to every other english team, even the succesful ones. The 115 charges likely only cover a fraction of the actual offences they've commited.
I’m certain that they are breaking financial rules (regardless of whether they are found guilty of it, they must have been doing it). But remember why these (relatively recent) rules have come in. They were designed to make it impossible for any club with new money to be able to compete with a club with old money. So yes they broke rules but those rules were designed to keep clubs like Utd (plus Bayern, Real etc) at the top of the tree in perpetuity. And I guess that’s the crux of it. If you were arguing that City shouldn’t be allowed to spend what they do, AND the playing field should be somehow levelled for all clubs then I’d be sympathetic to that. But it seems that you just want rid of the oil money clubs so Utd can never, ever be challenged by a club with similar resourves to them. You’re arguing for one inherently unfair system to be replaced by another one. The only difference is who gains.
I’d assume that’s why the fans of a lot of the non top 4 clubs don’t see it like you do. Why replace City and give yourself an identical problem with Utd?

Maluco

I’m certain that they are breaking financial rules (regardless of whether they are found guilty of it, they must have been doing it). But remember why these (relatively recent) rules have come in. They were designed to make it impossible for any club with new money to be able to compete with a club with old money. So yes they broke rules but those rules were designed to keep clubs like Utd (plus Bayern, Real etc) at the top of the tree in perpetuity. And I guess that’s the crux of it. If you were arguing that City shouldn’t be allowed to spend what they do, AND the playing field should be somehow levelled for all clubs then I’d be sympathetic to that. But it seems that you just want rid of the oil money clubs so Utd can never, ever be challenged by a club with similar resourves to them. You’re arguing for one inherently unfair system to be replaced by another one. The only difference is who gains.
I’d assume that’s why the fans of a lot of the non top 4 clubs don’t see it like you do. Why replace City and give yourself an identical problem with Utd?
How can you not see the difference between a state run institution and a top premier league club? It’s a chasm.

I am all for salary caps and more equality in the game. All of the teams are needing to be careful with FFP, expect one.

If a state and unlimited wealth owns a club, spending has to be controlled within limits. It’s far beyond the realms of having a few more sponsors.

The current rules are far from perfect, but they are the only thread holding any sense of sporting integrity and competition in place. This is a pivotal moment in football history.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
How can you not see the difference between a state run institution and a top premier league club? It’s a chasm.

I am all for salary caps and more equality in the game. All of the teams are needing to be careful with FFP, expect one.

If a state and unlimited wealth owns a club, spending has to be controlled within limits. It’s far beyond the realms of having a few more sponsors.

The current rules are far from perfect, but they are the only thread holding any sense of sporting integrity and competition in place. This is a pivotal moment in football history.
Oh I can definitely see the difference. If I wasn’t so lazy I’d have added that there needs to be a way to differentiate between earned wealth, which all the big old clubs have, and parachuted-in wealth. At the moment I think we are reliant on super-rich owners simply losing a bit of enthusiasm, like Abramovic did towards the end. There’s an understandable fear that when it comes to a sovereign wealth fund they may simply not get tired of putting money in. I’m not so sure, I think the aim of Abramovic and Qatar is to (eventually) have a business that generates money like Liverpool and Utd do.

I do see what you’re saying though, *something* should be done to provide some regulation. I’m just not sure that getting rid of City and Chelsea is anything more than just reverting to the old unfair system.

It probably is a fairly pivotal moment, although it doesn’t overly help your case at this exact moment with Liverpool and Arsenal constantly swapping positions with City.

I’d be in favour of some kind of harsh tax system like China did a few years ago, with the money going into football at a lower level, but I’ve no idea whether that’s even workable, or whether a nation state would even give a sh1t.

Flying high

Oh I can definitely see the difference. If I wasn’t so lazy I’d have added that there needs to be a way to differentiate between earned wealth, which all the big old clubs have, and parachuted-in wealth. At the moment I think we are reliant on super-rich owners simply losing a bit of enthusiasm, like Abramovic did towards the end. There’s an understandable fear that when it comes to a sovereign wealth fund they may simply not get tired of putting money in. I’m not so sure, I think the aim of Abramovic and Qatar is to (eventually) have a business that generates money like Liverpool and Utd do.

I do see what you’re saying though, *something* should be done to provide some regulation. I’m just not sure that getting rid of City and Chelsea is anything more than just reverting to the old unfair system.

It probably is a fairly pivotal moment, although it doesn’t overly help your case at this exact moment with Liverpool and Arsenal constantly swapping positions with City.

I’d be in favour of some kind of harsh tax system like China did a few years ago, with the money going into football at a lower level, but I’ve no idea whether that’s even workable, or whether a nation state would even give a sh1t.
You're getting it now. The rules actually, currently, include a function for owners to add some money to the earned wealth, but there is a limit. Which city break(probably).

Look, I have sympathy with the idea of a level playing field. To an extent. But without some kind of earned advantage for years of success, you'd have clubs going bust every year because they can no longer afford their larger stadium and increased wages. Plus we'd never compete with clubs from other nations.

City could have grown slowly within the rules to reach the very top. They chose to cheat their way to the top which is what has broken the system. As much money as the PL has, it was unprepared to deal with a country so willing to spend vast sums to break the rules AND to make it as difficult as possible to prosecute them.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You're getting it now. The rules actually, currently, include a function for owners to add some money to the earned wealth, but there is a limit. Which city break(probably).

Look, I have sympathy with the idea of a level playing field. To an extent. But without some kind of earned advantage for years of success, you'd have clubs going bust every year because they can no longer afford their larger stadium and increased wages. Plus we'd never compete with clubs from other nations.

City could have grown slowly within the rules to reach the very top. They chose to cheat their way to the top which is what has broken the system. As much money as the PL has, it was unprepared to deal with a country so willing to spend vast sums to break the rules AND to make it as difficult as possible to prosecute them.
I think your last para is where I disagree. I don’t think there was another avenue open to City where they could somehow organically grow to the required level, and I really can’t think of any examples that prove its plausibility. And that’s where I think quite a few fans on here are being a bit disingenuous. Getting rid of the likes of City will not make the league any more competitive, it will simply revert to old money clubs dominating. Which, frankly, is why I see the clamour for City to be relegated coming largely from fans of a very select group of clubs who stand to gain the most. I’m being cynical maybe, but it’s no coincidence where the loudest calls are coming from.

Flying high

I think your last para is where I disagree. I don’t think there was another avenue open to City where they could somehow organically grow to the required level, and I really can’t think of any examples that prove its plausibility. And that’s where I think quite a few fans on here are being a bit disingenuous. Getting rid of the likes of City will not make the league any more competitive, it will simply revert to old money clubs dominating. Which, frankly, is why I see the clamour for City to be relegated coming largely from fans of a very select group of clubs who stand to gain the most. I’m being cynical maybe, but it’s no coincidence where the loudest calls are coming from.
Liverpool fans?

I assume you mean United fans. Maybe that's because we boiled so much piss over the years that this is a commonly held view:

Why replace City and give yourself an identical problem with Utd?
Despite the fact that, as far as I know, we never cheated.

Maluco

This is a fair viewpoint. Something needs to be done. I am not even against foreign entities putting money into clubs or into football. Liverpool are only up there because they have the best manager in the world and Arsenal have spent a fortune trying to close the gap and bringing themselves to the brink of FFP reckoning. It’s not healthy and it’s not sustainable trying to compete.

I don’t think tax or fines work, because we are dealing with billions in some cases, it won’t resolve the disparity.

An independent regulator is the only way forward because the PL have failed to do relevant checks across the board as to where exactly money is coming from, and that can be said for most clubs and a lot of sponsorships across the league, not just Man City.

A good start would be taking power away from the PL when it comes to those types of checks and balances.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And that’s where I think quite a few fans on here are being a bit disingenuous. Getting rid of the likes of City will not make the league any more competitive, it will simply revert to old money clubs dominating. Which, frankly, is why I see the clamour for City to be relegated coming largely from fans of a very select group of clubs who stand to gain the most. I’m being cynical maybe, but it’s no coincidence where the loudest calls are coming from.
Are you saying that the fans of teams who are more likely to be negatively affected by City's cheating are more likely to complain about it?
It should be pretty obvious why a fan of Sheffield United might care less than a United or Liverpool fan and it has nothing to do with old money.

Grundig

They have that bench because they have invested very good. We have invested very badly. Your example is all over the place and have nothing at all to do with breaking rules.

Grundig

What do you mean with we all know City have brooking the rules from the start ? For me this is another example of somebody saying something that they know not a thing about. Your arguments are totally braindead. We all hope City is quilty, but after studied the case deeply I have my doubts. And I know for sure that SJR are convinced that they are not quilty, after his conversations with Omar.

Maluco

They have that bench because they have invested very good. We have invested very badly. Your example is all over the place and have nothing at all to do with breaking rules.
Ok buddy! ;)

What do you mean with we all know City have brooking the rules from the start ? For me this is another example of somebody saying something that they know not a thing about. Your arguments are totally braindead. We all hope City is quilty, but after studied the case deeply I have my doubts. And I know for sure that SJR are convinced that they are not quilty, after his conversations with Omar.
Absolutely braindead post.

Joins the caf, makes 6 posts, 5 of them about City & painting City as innocent, half of the pointing the finger instead at United. The other post taking the piss out of the level of player United can sign.
Could you be any more see-through? stop pretending to a United fan, you’re a City fan here on nothing more than wind up, and you’re absolutely terrible at it.

Ratcliffe has talked to Masters, and told him this is the only way United can spend during next transfer window. United are in deep shit when it comes to PSR.
These rules changes are not designed to help City escape punishment. These rules changes are designed to help United invest in the next transfer window.
I think we have to understand one thing. It is not City who are running PL and Masters, it is United. Ratcliffe knows very well, after long discussions with Berrada that there is no chance at all that City are quilty. Therefore these changes to make it possible for United to invest in the summer transfer window. Without these changes United are up deep shit creeks when it comes to PSR.

Last edited:

ForeverRed1

City play with a cheat code.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Quilty is when you are too fond of staying in bed. Guilty is when you are culpable for being a cheat, like the fake, remade, sportswashing club of Manchester City and its oil-bloated owners.

Fridge chutney

City are a fake oil club that no one respects. The antithesis of fair competition.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You think you ‘get it’ but you’re so shrouded in bitterness that you actually don’t get it at all.

What you’re talking about isn’t greater opportunities for all, it’s less opportunities for United (in your head) which makes you happy.

Take the league cup for example, this being the trophy that used to regularly give smaller clubs the chance of silverware. Over the last 11 seasons city have won that trophy 6 times. Which has left space for United x2 Chelsea x1 Liverpool x2 and nobody else.

The previous 11 seasons saw wins for Swansea, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Birmingham.

Since their takeover only Arsenal x4 and Chelsea x4 have won the FA cup more times than City x3 and they have won 4 of the last 5 leagues and 6 of the last 11 league titles. To my reconning that would give them 15 of the last 33 domestic trophies….for a club who hadn’t won anything for 35 years prior….whilst all kinds of clubs actually were winning trophies, the likes of Oxford, Wimbledon, Sheffield weds, Luton, Forrest, Blackburn, Leicester, Villa, Swansea, Middlesbrough and Birmingham etc.

City have merely stopped other clubs winning trophies that they didn’t win prior purely down to how badly run they were for decades, similar to our last decade. We’ve won what we’ve deserved…not much. Which is how football should be.

It’s also worth noting that United have NOT won the league for 33 of the last 46 years. We have never dominated the league, except in ultimately two periods of deserved sustained success under two great managers. Which again is how football should be.

United are exactly where we deserve to be. Don’t be blinded by your hatred. City being relegated and being made to obey rules is better for smaller clubs than it is United. We will always be successful when we sort our own club out. Get the back room staff right and get the manager right, give them time.

You’re unconcerned by one club cheating rules that all other clubs are adhering to, because it stops united. Reverse that….United are the ones breaking the rules…still unconcerned? Didn’t think so.

Reactions: Fortitude

Hammondo

How is cheap signings breaking any rules?

OldSchoolManc

How to say you are an undercover City fan without saying you are a City fan

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You think you ‘get it’ but you’re so shrouded in bitterness that you actually don’t get it at all.

What you’re talking about isn’t greater opportunities for all, it’s less opportunities for United (in your head) which makes you happy.

Take the league cup for example, this being the trophy that used to regularly give smaller clubs the chance of silverware. Over the last 11 seasons city have won that trophy 6 times. Which has left space for United x2 Chelsea x1 Liverpool x2 and nobody else.

The previous 11 seasons saw wins for Swansea, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Birmingham.

Since their takeover only Arsenal x4 and Chelsea x4 have won the FA cup more times than City x3 and they have won 4 of the last 5 leagues and 6 of the last 11 league titles. To my reconning that would give them 15 of the last 33 domestic trophies….for a club who hadn’t won anything for 35 years prior….whilst all kinds of clubs actually were winning trophies, the likes of Oxford, Wimbledon, Sheffield weds, Luton, Forrest, Blackburn, Leicester, Villa, Swansea, Middlesbrough and Birmingham etc.

City have merely stopped other clubs winning trophies that they didn’t win prior purely down to how badly run they were for decades, similar to our last decade. We’ve won what we’ve deserved…not much. Which is how football should be.

It’s also worth noting that United have NOT won the league for 33 of the last 46 years. We have never dominated the league, except in ultimately two periods of deserved sustained success under two great managers. Which again is how football should be.

United are exactly where we deserve to be. Don’t be blinded by your hatred. City being relegated and being made to obey rules is better for smaller clubs than it is United. We will always be successful when we sort our own club out. Get the back room staff right and get the manager right, give them time.

You’re unconcerned by one club cheating rules that all other clubs are adhering to, because it stops united. Reverse that….United are the ones breaking the rules…still unconcerned? Didn’t think so.
I’d forgotten how angry you were! Just put me on ignore, fella, at the very least it will be good for your blood pressure!

Flying high

And more or less proven in the case of Mancini, no?
Yes.

Which signings have been cheap though? The reported fees are generally above the market value for the given players.
How many of their signings have you thought we'd have happily paid more than that?

Somehow there are clubs out there that don't want to maximise their transfer fees when dealing with city.