City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If City get relegated what will happen to all their expensive world class players?
They are under contract so in theory they could be forced to play in the lower leagues. More realistic is that the players that can go, will be allowed to go for a fair value. In the case of Juve,manyof their star went down with the club and they immediately returned.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not suggesting that there is. I kond of suggest that there might be. It would be interesting to see what would happen if investigators took a dive into all clubs books in the same timeframe.

I think I've made it clear that it is irrelevant in terms of the punishment we should get when/if these charges in turn gets proven right. But it was more a comment on the significance of the number of charges. It is obviously extremely high in isolasjon, but from a curious perspective it eould be interesting to see how every other club would fare given the same treatment. The majority might be clean as a fiddle for all I know.

I'm sorry that it came across a bit "look at everyone Else, they surely must be cheating too" but I didn't intend that at all.
Yeah understood. Not a problem.

Be interesting to see what happens

The Purley King

If (big if) it is proven that any employee had under the table payments, then not only city the club will be liable but the players will too.
HMRC do not feck about with this type of thing.
much the same as Juve were eventually brought down by the financial authorities getting involved.

crossy1686

career ending
If (big if) it is proven that any employee had under the table payments, then not only city the club will be liable but the players will too.
HMRC do not feck about with this type of thing.
much the same as Juve were eventually brought down by the financial authorities getting involved.
I believe the Juve players are waiting to see if they're going to get banned also for accepting deferred payments. They're all in massive shit, so City's players better start hoping they go soft on them.

baskinginthesun

Even the punishment you suggest (which I agree is more realistic, much as i’d love them to be stripped of titles and relegated) would cripple them assuming the PL continues to scrutinise their finances. I doubt a self-financing City (meaning a reversion to mid-table interspersed with relegation battles) is of much interest to Abu Dhabi.
Agreed. We may not see the punishment that we all want and it may seem paltry in retrospect. But, the aftermath of all this will probably make City self implode and they'll probably recede into irrelevance because of their "history." There is no way their current owners will want to continue with this while constantly being on watch for just buying a cup of tea at the cafeteria.

Munkehboi

As for the relegation aspect and all the fallout with regard to what happens to all the other clubs impacted, it should be a mess that is sorted out, not swept under the rug - and I'd be amazed if each club who were majorly compromised don't have their lawyers pawing other the minutiae of this case...

This could be interesting. Regardless of the penalty, could this open up for a bunch of clubs that were impacted by the way of relegation etc. to sue the club for loss of earnings, stature or whatever the legal terms are?

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
How did Serie A manage promotion and relegation when Juventus were kicked down?

Isn't it an independent panel deciding on Manchester City's punishment? I'm not sure how much consideration they will put into other clubs when deciding on the appropriate punishment - which is definitely relegation.
The practicality of a forced relegation is pretty easy I would assume. One extra team promoted from the championship (the two semi-finals in the PlayOff turns into two finals instead). Either that, or the 18th placed side in the Prem gets to stay up

crossy1686

career ending
How did Serie A manage promotion and relegation when Juventus were kicked down?

Isn't it an independent panel deciding on Manchester City's punishment? I'm not sure how much consideration they will put into other clubs when deciding on the appropriate punishment - which is definitely relegation.
You send just two down with City, and then three come up. Easy done.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’m think the word “city” has been so stained and tainted by these allegations that it should be removed from every day lexicon and changed to something like “bastard.”

“i’m flying out of bastard of london airport tomorrow for an important business meeting?”

“sounds important. which bastard are you flying to?”

“the bastard of paris.”

“oh that’s one of my favourite bastards. the wife and i had a lovely bastard break there a couple of years ago.”

“only problem is i’m having to miss the bastard bristol bastard game at the weekend. it’s the big one against norwich bastard”

“what a bastard.”

“with a bastard as big as paris, you should be able to find it live though.”

“those bastards would rather show snail eating contests at their sports bars.”

“bastards.”

padr81

Supports
Man City
They are under contract so in theory they could be forced to play in the lower leagues. More realistic is that the players that can go, will be allowed to go for a fair value. In the case of Juve,manyof their star went down with the club and they immediately returned.
Not a hope, if City are relegated for cheating, everyone of those players could walk for nothing, it would have to be breach of contract or they could at least make a case for it.

cyberman

The practicality of a forced relegation is pretty easy I would assume. One extra team promoted from the championship (the two semi-finals in the PlayOff turns into two finals instead). Either that, or the 18th placed side in the Prem gets to stay up
I think the league has to vote to accept you or you go to the next league down for another vote.
Could be wrong but I heard that on 5 live and they didn’t sound too sure.
Same way Celtic and Rangers needed a vote in if they wanted to move into English football

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Even the punishment you suggest (which I agree is more realistic, much as i’d love them to be stripped of titles and relegated) would cripple them assuming the PL continues to scrutinise their finances. I doubt a self-financing City (meaning a reversion to mid-table interspersed with relegation battles) is of much interest to Abu Dhabi.
Theoretically, though I’m sure they would hope that if they can hold onto their current players (and possibly Pep) it would only seriously affect them for a season or two, and they could plausibly get back into challenging for Top 4 & titles with what is already a ridiculously stacked squad and the much higher prestige they’ve managed to obtain over the decade…. Though obviously they’d then have to operate more like a regular good side from then on, by only spending what they can afford. Which, as a top half Premier League team with the prestige of 5 titles behind them, would hardly be peanuts. They’ve risen to a high enough level now where they can legitimately attract some proper sponsors anyway… they just can’t completely skew the market and cook the books to gain an underhanded advantage anymore.

But there are obviously a bunch of variables in there. If the deduction is such that it causes a mass exodus and leads to relegation, then it’s possible they could spiral. But if not a couple of years slogging it out of the European places - like every other ‘big club’ has had to do for a while - won’t kill them… and if it does, it says a lot about their legitimacy as one of them.

Last edited:

cyberman

FFS!! :lol: :lol:
We had an Irish test in secondary school that nobody passed the first time so the teacher gave it to us again and still nobody passed. He had to give it to us 5 times before half the class could pass the fecking thing and not one question was different form the first exam

Loon

:lol:
On a serious note, how long will it take for this independent body to finish their investigation?

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Isn’t their current business model more sustainable than most. Aren’t they one of the only (maybe the only?) CL team to actually turn a profit on player transfers over the last couple of windows?
it’s easy to report a profit on things when you are giving the guy buying your assets the money to buy them in the first place

FujiVice

Piss myself if it was Sancho. Hence why he's been out for months. Doing admin with the lawyers.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Didn’t you get a transfer ban for breaking various rules?
I thought that was related to our number of loanees not money.

And probably also conveniently chaired by Arsenal members maybe?

What bothers me about all of this pseudo indignation is the fact that we aren’t talking about City outspending United and other teams.

United fans and others are Indignant they were allowed to spend essentially the same amount as them.

Gross spend over the last decade (not net, so sponsors, etc not an issue) … United 1.3 billion, City 1.4 billion.

So in essence the argument is: you can’t spend as much as us to have success and earn fans because you don’t already have the same number of fans….

None of it really seems open market and competitively fair.

And it seems more like an attempt to mollify and artificially manipulate things for Madrid, Barca, and La Liga after the Superleague trials went against them more than anything else.

The Premiere league teams can match spending and, frankly, play on the field. This is an attack on the Premiere League, driven by historic leagues and teams that understand they are falling irreparably behind, and the parties involved need to understand that.

Mostly, because artificial means for “punishing” investment simply don’t work in the long run. They need to worry about why people don’t want to invest there. Maybe they used fake fronts to send in money, but they could have done the same thing to buy and dominate with Real Betis ir someone like that …. and chose not to do so. It’s still investment. People want to invest in the PL, and NOT in other leagues… and UEFA is trying to artificially stop that from happening.

RedOrange

It's not meaningless. They are alleged to have broken the rules systematically and continuously during all of their title wins, so letting them keep their titles wouldn't make sense at all. It would be like allowing Lance Armstrong to keep his Tour de France titles.

They should also be relegated at least down to the Championship.
It's meaningless in the sense that just erasing their name off the record book doesn't erase the fact that they're still a big club with lots of money and pedigree that top players can join for a good chance to win the league with an almost guaranteed CL spot every year. The level the club is currently at is a direct result of those early titles. 10 years of points deductions means Pep will most likely leave and most of their top players will put in transfer requests. They'll suffer for 10 years with recruitment difficulties and likely not make the CL, essentially forcing them to start over as a mid-table club.

Fluctuation0161

I'm not sure I'd fancy a day on Bluemoon the same day that United were charged with breaching more than 100 Premier League regulations. Fair play, mate, you have taken it like an adult!

All jokes aside, it's a dark day in the history of your club and many City fans absolutely did not ask for this.
I'd say the majority of City fans have turned a blind eye to the obvious corruption for over a decade though. And defended their dodgy owners. No protests. No questions. Just blaming UEFA for everything. Sad bar stewards.

To be fair to Padr though, he is one of the most balanced City fans I've ever come across.

The Purley King

Isn’t it supposed to be YaYa?
I can’t see what they’d do if they found him. Aren’t whistle blowers protected?
Informer kills them by the way. That’s the end of City

edit they fell for a parody account. Fake news
All of this for the cost of a birthday cake………
Edit - it’s been done already !

eire-red

I know it's not really comparable at all, but Derby County were docked 9 points I believe for accounting malpractice relating to the wrong treatment of amortising player value, among some other wrongdoings.

Of course, they were in a much worse financial position, and were docked the majority points when they entered administration (12 point automatic deduction, followed by some further deductions I think).

But if we can extrapolate from Derby's deduction in relation to just one year, and if City are found guilty on multiple counts over numerous years, it's hard to see how it wouldn't be a truly significant points deduction at minimum.

It's clear Pep will walk from the club if they are found guilty. I don't think you'd see the same loyalty that Juve had when many top players stayed after they were relegated.

You could see a huge portion of the squad push to leave, massive write-downs in player value resulting in massive losses, probably ticket revenue falling off a cliff, it's truly a spiral in the worst case scenario. It will be fascinating to see this play out in the coming months.

The Purley King

When discussing possible relegation, have to remember that EFL has to accept the club.
It’s not impossible that they don’t .
That leaves the conference…..

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'd say the majority of City fans have turned a blind eye to the obvious corruption for over a decade though. And defended their dodgy owners. No protests. No questions. Just blaming UEFA for everything. Sad bar stewards.

To be fair to Padr though, he is one of the most balanced City fans I've ever come across.
Did that make your head hurt? It did mine.

Not to say I disagree with you about padr.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This could be interesting. Regardless of the penalty, could this open up for a bunch of clubs that were impacted by the way of relegation etc. to sue the club for loss of earnings, stature or whatever the legal terms are?
Those clubs should be pushing this every step of the way. One club's cheating has cost them millions of pounds, it can be fairly argued. They should be all over this; it's not just about titles and the top end. What should not happen is bygones because systematically cheating the system for over a decade is a heinous, calculated act that was solely looking out for City's interests whilst screwing any and everyone along the way.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Wouldn't it be ironic....
"David Silva, Aguero, KdB, Bernardo cnuting Silva, Sterling, how many PL titles have you won? How much did you love Man City to give them your best years?"