City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Would be very funny if the other 19 clubs all agreed to never play them and held their own winner's ceremony at the end for whoever finishes 2nd (since I'm assuming City would win every game by default until the league felt they had to step in)
That would be funny but I was talking about fans. If no fans attended any matches (home or away) involving Man City then the clubs would get off their bums.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That would be funny but I was talking about fans. If no fans attended any matches (home or away) involving Man City then the clubs would get off their bums.
Ah fair. That too.

I know it makes zero difference but I never ever watch them. The last time I saw them play was the FA Cup final against us.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Boycott. It's the only thing what would have a chance of working.
I've been told for decades on here (regarding the Glazers) that's it is a nonsensical suggestion to ask supporters to boycott.

You're right of course, but if supporters can't boycott over actions of their own club, what makes you think they would boycott over the actions of another club?

matt10000

I used to be apathetic about their financial doping because we, also have spent a lot of money but they really are a disgusting club.
The difference is that we have spent money due to the club growing based on footballing success and popularity over decades. We have generated a lot of money and spent a lot of money. They however, were just a crap club in a big footballing city that have been hijacked for sports washing

Ludens the Red

I used to be apathetic about their financial doping because we, also have spent a lot of money but they really are a disgusting club.
Yup, same. I now genuinely have no resentment towards Liverpool winning the league ahead of them. They’ve cheated for years, they got away with a lot because certain rules weren’t in place. Yet despite all their success they are still trying to exploit, bend rules and reject reforms that try to bring fairness into the game. A truly vile and despicable club.
The Premier League simply have to win this battle against them. If they don’t, the league is seriously fecked even more than it already is.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn't Chelsea be opposed to this as well?

That deal they did with Infinite Athlete is incredibly dodgy. They are a California based startup and owned by Charlie Ebersol who is a friend of Todd Boehly.

They are sponsoring Chelsea £43 million a year despite the company not being worth anywhere near that amount!
Startup isn't exactly accurate - they are a new company formed from a merger of two previously existing ones. Biocore has been around for a while and has been instrumental in implementing a lot of equipment changes in the NFL to try to mitigate injuries.

Scanny

Yup, same. I now genuinely have no resentment towards Liverpool winning the league ahead of them.
What a world we live in when I find myself agreeing with this sentiment.
I’m still hoping Arsenal or Villa will win it to save myself the Liverpool or Citeh no-win situation.

tomaldinho1

Yup, same. I now genuinely have no resentment towards Liverpool winning the league ahead of them. They’ve cheated for years, they got away with a lot because certain rules weren’t in place. Yet despite all their success they are still trying to exploit, bend rules and reject reforms that try to bring fairness into the game. A truly vile and despicable club.
The Premier League simply have to win this battle against them. If they don’t, the league is seriously fecked even more than it already is.
Steady on

City winning is far better, it's just a nothingness, Liverpool winning is the worst outcome of any season

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Steady on

City winning is far better, it's just a nothingness, Liverpool winning is the worst outcome of any season
I used to think that, but now it’s starting to all feel a little pointless. I’d actually rather be beaten to the title by Liverpool than City. At least then it would feel like we gave it our all and the best football team won. When City win, it just feels like the best legal team won.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The league would be infinitely better without them.

RoyH1

Does sportswashing work or do people simply not care. I don't think any better or worse of any oil states due to their involvement in any of the sports I follow.
But you're a critical, well informed fan. For most people out there (specially outside of Europe and to a certain extent LatAm) Man City has established itself as huge and important sporting institution, right up there with the likes of Real Madrid, Bayern and the Premiership giants. And they know that this is has happened under the stewardship of the Emirati state.
It doesn't stand alone (the rise of Dubai as a tourist destination, Emirates becoming the biggest carrier in the world), but all these things play together to embellish their regimes. It's the same with Qatar and PSG, The difference is that those guys haven't been as good at developing the sporting side of things.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
How hilarious that they’ve objected under the grounds of ‘English competition law’, which is there to ensure fair competition….the very thing they’re trying to avoid

caid

Can we just vote them out of the premier league? Having multi year long legal battles to stop their blatant cheating is just tiresome. You'll close one door to cut their bullshit and they'll bulldoze 3 new ones in. They have no intention of playing by the rules, they cant even be bothered hiding their rampant cheating. Just bin them. The league would be better for it.

caid

Does sportswashing work or do people simply not care. I don't think any better or worse of any oil states due to their involvement in any of the sports I follow.
An argument i've heard is that its not so much positive thought they're seeking as just being thought of. Your far more aware of them than you were 20 years ago i'd think

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
If it’s an old horror film the monstrous alien entity that takes over the most boring person in the village goes up and tries a winning smile on the village policeman … “I’m being bullied”. Man, am I going to enjoy the sequel.

RedRocket9908

At least City being the only club taking legal action over the rule changes gives the Premier League another good reason to push for City to be relegated if they are found guilty, relegate them and the court action along with the associated fees goes away.

Last edited:

Lost bear

I used to think that, but now it’s starting to all feel a little pointless. I’d actually rather be beaten to the title by Liverpool than City. At least then it would feel like we gave it our all and the best football team won. When City win, it just feels like the best legal team won.
It is indeed a terrible situation to find ourselves in. I hate Liverpool but- respect where it is due- they like us are a proper football club. Citeh are an oil- money club manufactured to win titles by any means necessary, up to and including fiddling the system. They’re experts at it, and to me represent most of what I detest about the current political world. So, though I never thought I’d say it, I’d prefer them to take the title over Citeh. That said, I’m still hoping for Villa.

Oranges038

Wouldn't Chelsea be opposed to this as well?

That deal they did with Infinite Athlete is incredibly dodgy. They are a California based startup and owned by Charlie Ebersol who is a friend of Todd Boehly.

They are sponsoring Chelsea £43 million a year despite the company not being worth anywhere near that amount!
Not only that one of their main private equity investors is Clearlake.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Can we just vote them out of the premier league? Having multi year long legal battles to stop their blatant cheating is just tiresome. You'll close one door to cut their bullshit and they'll bulldoze 3 new ones in. They have no intention of playing by the rules, they cant even be bothered hiding their rampant cheating. Just bin them. The league would be better for it.
Hear, hear. Let’s just have football clubs in the league? If you are a nation state pretending to be a football club, see you next Tuesday. The damage across the league to genuine clubs (and we know these are all far from perfect) is too much. We need to believe in football. For that City must be voted out, banned indefinitely, or at least until they become an ordinary football club with football priorities and football resources.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can’t put the genie back in the bottle. The time to get tough with these feckers was around 15 years ago.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Can’t put the genie back in the bottle. The time to get tough with these feckers was around 15 years ago.
I have some hope. Everton’s point deduction completely shut down the winter transfer market. As soon as teams are shown rules will be enforced, they follow them (ironically, just like players with referees).

And PL have painted themselves into a corner. They’ve got to see it through now, after 115 charges.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I have some hope. Everton’s point deduction completely shut down the winter transfer market. As soon as teams are shown rules will be enforced, they follow them (ironically, just like players with referees).

And PL have painted themselves into a corner. They’ve got to see it through now, after 115 charges.
This is true, but in some ways they’re just too powerful for it to matter. I mean, they’re threatening to sue the PL for trying to keep them in line! If they’d kept them on a proper lead in 2008 this wouldn’t be happening.

City are a monster so out of control that they’re outraged when the governing bodies try to keep a lid on things. All the while they’ve won numerous trophies, a treble, and have the best team and coach in world football. It all feels a bit ‘too little too late’.

The Urban Goose

This is true, but in some ways they’re just too powerful for it to matter. I mean, they’re threatening to sue the PL for trying to keep them in line! If they’d kept them on a proper lead in 2008 this wouldn’t be happening.

City are a monster so out of control that they’re outraged when the governing bodies try to keep a lid on things. All the while they’ve won numerous trophies, a treble, and have the best team and coach in world football. It all feels a bit ‘too little too late’.
Agree. The whole thing is a mess. And as for an independent regulator, that just means a different set of people to pay off/bribe/pressurise. If anything it could be more at risk of political pressure, e.g. the government's "we can't possibly risk pissing off the Saudis" general stance.

The game is fecked, we just have to accept that and find the entertainment where we can.

Woziak

At least City being the only club taking legal action over the rule changes gives the Premier League another good reason to push for City to be relegated if they are found guilty, relegate them and the court action along with the associated fees goes away.
They won’t be relegated instantly, they have 115 charges my guess is some will be proven and a points deduction’s of 20-30 points giving in the season of 2024/25 and a two window transfer ban. They will be immediately appeal and the points deduction overturned. They will threaten the PL with unfair regulations to run their business, however they signed the Pl rules and regulations like all over 20 clubs,

mctrials23

An argument i've heard is that its not so much positive thought they're seeking as just being thought of. Your far more aware of them than you were 20 years ago i'd think
Again though, is that a good thing? Making people think of you when you are quite scummy seems silly. My opinion on these countries hasn't really changed that much in the past 15 years and if it has, its been in the wrong direction for sure.

OldSchoolManc

How does mainstream media carry on congratulating City when they know for a fact that it is empty and worthless?
Watching MOTD and it’s cringeworthy.
Are they THAT worried about lawsuits?

Kylar Stern

In that case, why don’t they call it out for the farce that it is?
Its because they have to keep up the pretence that the league is fair and competitive so as not to risk fans gradually losing interest. Its the same for mainstream media in general - if interest wanes so will the number of viewers/listeners/clicks etc

If City are found guilty and punished accordingly the exact same sources will villainise them to capitalise on audience sentiment

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Its because they have to keep up the pretence that the league is fair and competitive so as not to risk fans gradually losing interest. Its the same for mainstream media in general - if interest wanes so will the number of viewers/listeners/clicks etc

If City are found guilty and punished accordingly the exact same sources will villainise them to capitalise on audience sentiment
It's that and it's also little, quite pathetic, things like City looking after the media very well. I've heard from more than one smug cnut journalist on football podcasts that City's hospitality is by far the best in the league. City feed and water them well so they're not going to risk spoiling that little perk of the job.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It's that and it's also little, quite pathetic, things like City looking after the media very well. I've heard from more than one smug cnut journalist on football podcasts that City's hospitality is by far the best in the league. City feed and water them well so they're not going to risk spoiling that little perk of the job.
It’s all these things… plus the fact that City haven’t been convicted. Until the case is tried, there is only so much you can reasonably expect broadcasters to say.

Everyone knew Lance Armstrong (and pretty much all top riders at the time) were juiced to the gills. You never heard a peep about it during races - nor would you expect to.