City show there are NO excuses for our opening day flop | Utd return the favour GW2

Abhinav

No matter the fitness levels there was no excuse for slow zombie passing. What does that have to do with fitness? It doesn't take energy to pass the pall faster. I didn't even see us string 4 or 5 quick passes together when we won possession palace had time to get back setup in their box order a frappe from Greece have it delivered drink it then our players arrived.
Passing & movement go hand in hand. If players dont move on the pitch and make the passing angles, it is difficult to pass the ball faster. That's what happened with us - Players were not able to see the passing options and therefore were dithering on the ball.
I agree that in general as a team, we tend to be very static and not make enough runs which contributes to our problems against organized teams. Not being in ideal physical contributed to it further because players were not able to make even the usual runs.

Micky Targaryen

/Close Thread

Bollocks. Our club captain got arrested in Greece and was in the papers every day. Our 18 year old right winger had a media frenzy around him for the Iceland incident. Pogba had bloody COVID. Bruno was on international duty (as so many of our players were) and never got a proper vacation or downtime. I think Wan-Bissaka was quarantined as well. We shouldn't lose to Crystal Palace at home, but we don't have fans in the stadium, and City's bench and reserves is basically a B-team that would qualify for 6th and challenge Arsenal and Spurs for 6th place any day.

Bollocks.

Close this thread, it's a proper disgrace.
Do you feel better after laying out all the excuses for our shit result?

You just said that we shouldn't lose to Crystal Palace. Period. Do we really need the fans to scrounge up a scrappy win? We were dominated by Crystal Palace by the way. Did they beat us convincingly just because their captain didn't get arrested, midfielder did not have COVID, etc?

0161_UNITED

Do you feel better after laying out all the excuses for our shit result?

You just said that we shouldn't lose to Crystal Palace. Period. Do we really need the fans to scrounge up a scrappy win? We were dominated by Crystal Palace by the way. Did they beat us convincingly just because their captain didn't get arrested, midfielder did not have COVID, etc?
No, I think I very clearly stated they (City) have a better bench and reserve team than we do, currently. Did I stutter?

Last edited:

Mainoldo

No, I think I very clearly stated they (City) have a better bench and reserve team than we do, currently. Did I stutter?
Pogba, Matic, Fred, VDB, Bruno. That’s 5 for 3.

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, James, Lingard, Ighalo, Mata. That’s 7 for 3.

0161_UNITED

Pogba, Matic, Fred, VDB, Bruno. That’s 5 for 3.

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, James, Lingard, Ighalo, Mata. That’s 7 for 3.
I’ve no idea what sort of dark arts, discrete mathematics, or sorcery this post is resorting to.

Fluctuation0161

Check the minutes played last season for let's say De Bruyne or Traore in Wolves, they didn't look knackered. Our mentality vs Palace was more the culprit than fitness.
Have you checked? I suspect you haven't or you would have shared it.
KdB and Traore played around 2700 minutes last season. Maguire played over 3500 minutes.

Even then, it is not all about total minutes played it is about being able to rest players at key times.

Look at Citys squad depth. They can rotate at key times. It is so obvious.

0161_UNITED

I didn’t expect you to, because your a fool. :)
It’s “you’re”... not “your”.

And the tone of this post is prattish and imbecilic, much like the incoherent drivel in the previous post.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

It’s “you’re”... not “your”.

And the tone of this post is prattish and imbecilic, much like the incoherent drivel in the previous post.
I just hate posters that love an excuse but only to defend the manager. However there never so lenient should it be a player or how the club does business that doesn’t Involve the managers input.

Basically just inconsistent drivel.

Was it that the players weren’t fit or was it that the bench wasn’t good enough why we couldn’t be Palace?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
There has been much said about our loss to Palace being about poor [match] fitness and a lack of pre-season due to our missing out of first week PL action because of our European endeavours.

But Man City were in precisely the same situation tonight because of European competition, and managed to get past a better Wolves side 3-1 away from home.

Not only that Phil Foden who was in similar off-field problems to Greenwood... started. And scored.

Our diabolical performance on Saturday has much to do with the level of ambition our players are seeing, and the fans are seeing, in our transfer dealings. The bull from the top filters down.

Is Ole at fault? Yes. He is an inexperienced coach that is perhaps too nice for the role he is in. You cannot make fitness the excuse as a manager when over your shoulder your city rivals are putting egg on your face.

But getting rid of him is not the solution. The solution is to change the ownership and that is not going to happen anytime soon.
Wolves went out earlier than United in EL and got beat 3-1

0161_UNITED

I just hate posters that love an excuse but only to defend the manager. However there never so lenient should it be a player or how the club does business that doesn’t Involve the managers input.

Basically just inconsistent drivel.

Was it that the players weren’t fit or was it that the bench wasn’t good enough why we couldn’t be Palace?
I’m lost by this. Apologies, but I have no clue what these posts mean, signify, imply, or are trying to communicate. Carry on with other posters, but stop replying to me please...

Spaghetti

Mom's
The fact is that they beat Wolves 3-1 away from home. We lost at home to an inferior Palace side 3-1. With all the excuses we were making, I was interested to see how City would do tonight. Whether they were at their best or not, matters not, they won. By two goals. While we lost... by two goals. And it could have been more.
Think about other teams though. Palace gave up on last season long before it was over, Wolves were busting their balls until the end, and only finished their European season a few days before we did.

Denis79

KdB and Traore played around 2700 minutes last season. Maguire played over 3500 minutes.

Even then, it is not all about total minutes played it is about being able to rest players at key times.

Maguire is the only player that played more than Traore and KDB which everyone already knew since he played all games for us. My point is that fatigue / match fitness is not the sole purpose why we lost so badly to Crystal Palace. We have had so many games in the past where we look unmotivated or we underestimate our opponent? Do you feel that our players always give everything they have, do their absolute best?

Smores

All other points aside comparing our CBs minutes versus players who actually sprint during games isn't exactly the best evidence of anything.

This whole argument is ridiculous in my view. Our players had months off for covid then played a couple of months before having another month off. They can't be that fatigued and if they are they've messed up their fitness regime.

Then the next one banded about is oh they're not match fit because they've played 2 friendlies less than others! Forgetting it was only a month ago we played our last game. Players get injured all the time or bench players don't play for a few weeks and no one would dare suggest they'll need weeks to get 'match fit'.

jetlee

One match is not exactly proof for anything. Now City has just 13 senior fit members of the squad according to Pep. Maybe it has something to do with the short break.
They can flounder later on as well, but a measured view of things is more difficult then a black-white pointless comparison.
We need to get ready and put the points on the table but watching the first game for both City and Chelsea They could've went differently too.

Fluctuation0161

Maguire is the only player that played more than Traore and KDB which everyone already knew since he played all games for us. My point is that fatigue / match fitness is not the sole purpose why we lost so badly to Crystal Palace. We have had so many games in the past where we look unmotivated or we underestimate our opponent? Do you feel that our players always give everything they have, do their absolute best?

We look fatigued to me. You may interpret that as players not giving their best, I don't, but surely the outcome on the pitch is similar?

In top level football just a few percent off top fitness can have a big impact.

However, I do also think that the lack of recruitment in the Summer has had a negative impact on morale. Because it is obvious to anyone, including the players, that our backup squad players are not good enough and our first team players are not rested enough.

Fluctuation0161

Key player for us is Fernandes, he only joined in January so of course he played less minutes in the Premiership than KDB.

Look into number of first team changes in lineup since the Covid restart last season. Compare our number of starting lineup changes with City.

Fluctuation0161

All other points aside comparing our CBs minutes versus players who actually sprint during games isn't exactly the best evidence of anything.

This whole argument is ridiculous in my view. Our players had months off for covid then played a couple of months before having another month off. They can't be that fatigued and if they are they've messed up their fitness regime.

Then the next one banded about is oh they're not match fit because they've played 2 friendlies less than others! Forgetting it was only a month ago we played our last game. Players get injured all the time or bench players don't play for a few weeks and no one would dare suggest they'll need weeks to get 'match fit'.
Have you ever played sport? Ever experienced fatigue?

How many games on average did we pay in those last 2 months? With essentially the same starting 11, while the likes of City could rotate.

Can't believe I'm having to explain, in detail, to various posters, the fact that City have a much deeper squad than us which means they are less impacted by fatigue. I know the cliche is that football fans aren't the sharpest but this is getting ridiculous.

SAFMUTD

Pep and Klopp are the best managers out there. I think it is difficult for some to accept his. That's not to downplay Ole but Pep and klopp are just the best. Ole is still learning. Ole and Lambard are still rookies. Even Rodgers is more tactically astute/mature/experienced than these two... as much as I would love Rodgers to fail.

You saw this against Luton Town.. nobody was assigned to pull the strings. But simply being far superior won in the end. But premiership teams are much better than Luton.
Ole is no rookie, he's been managing for over 10 years now, the fact that he's not very good at it doesnt make him a rookie. Just an average manager.

Denis79

We look fatigued to me. You may interpret that as players not giving their best, I don't, but surely the outcome on the pitch is similar?

In top level football just a few percent off top fitness can have a big impact.

However, I do also think that the lack of recruitment in the Summer has had a negative impact on morale. Because it is obvious to anyone, including the players, that our backup squad players are not good enough and our first team players are not rested enough.
You see it more as a fatigue problem, I see it as a mentality problem. We don't have the leaders in the squad to push the "less motivated" players. I understand that they can be tired but I've seen our players (unmotivated) far too many times, sporadically during a season to buy that match sharpness is the sole reason CP beat us at home or even the main reason it happened.

slir32

Passing & movement go hand in hand. If players dont move on the pitch and make the passing angles, it is difficult to pass the ball faster. That's what happened with us - Players were not able to see the passing options and therefore were dithering on the ball.
I agree that in general as a team, we tend to be very static and not make enough runs which contributes to our problems against organized teams. Not being in ideal physical contributed to it further because players were not able to make even the usual runs.
I get that but fitness aside why couldn't the players show us five minutes of movement and passing. They are professional athletes even if they are not fit we should have seen glimpses of something we saw nothing.,

rotherham_red

Currently losing 3-1 at home to Leicester.

"City's performance today showing there was NO reason to post this thread?"

jasT1981

Currently losing 3-1 at home to Leicester.

"City's performance today showing there was NO reason to post this thread?"
Leicester finished 5th last season, and have been Premier League champions in the last few years and are seen as a team that can crack the top 6.

Palace finished 14th last season and 12th the year before.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This thread aged well. City weren't good at all in their first game also.

rotherham_red

Leicester finished 5th last season, and have been Premier League champions in the last few years and are seen as a team that can crack the top 6.

They also looked shit versus a relegated Bournemouth and were lucky to get all 3 points v Wolves, but let's not have that spoil your agenda.

bsCallout

Palace are one of the best against top 6 teams away from home.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
There has been much said about our loss to Palace being about poor [match] fitness and a lack of pre-season due to our missing out of first week PL action because of our European endeavours.
But Man City were in precisely the same situation tonight because of European competition, and managed to get past a better Wolves side 3-1 away from home.

Not only that Phil Foden who was in similar off-field problems to Greenwood... started. And scored.

Our diabolical performance on Saturday has much to do with the level of ambition our players are seeing, and the fans are seeing, in our transfer dealings. The bull from the top filters down.

Is Ole at fault? Yes. He is an inexperienced coach that is perhaps too nice for the role he is in. You cannot make fitness the excuse as a manager when over your shoulder your city rivals are putting egg on your face.

But getting rid of him is not the solution. The solution is to change the ownership and that is not going to happen anytime soon.
what's up dude???