CL 19/20 Group Stages: Week 6 (Last Round)

Pagh Wraith

Not sure that was a free kick for Juve. Although it was stupid by Hermoso to raise his arm as Bentancur was going nowhere.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm still baffled, VAR never checks a simple foul?

So, now if you get fouled and the rival gets in the area, you can just "freely" commit a penalty to cut a clear chance, so not only you stop a chance that, otherwise, could be a potential goal, but you might get awarded a foul?.
They have to check the entire 'play' leading up to the penalty/red card.

Though I think that foul wasn't that obvious to overturn the subsequent penalty.

Hulksmash

Var can go back if it's a goal but can VAR go back that far without goal? Im sure it can't wtf

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ref reminded in his earpiece that's not how he's supposed to referee Real.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It was a ridiculous sequence all around. If he sees Gana's foul and calls it i've no problem with it, but there's absolutely no way that should be overturned on VAR check.

He also sent off Courtois which was another ridiculous decision

What he should actually have done was give PSG the penalty and a yellow to Courtois

riis

Supports
Liverpool
It's...i mean, it's kind of a foul, but to overturn it on VAR seems a bit excessive...

Just ridiculous all around from the ref
The push either is or isn't a foul. If it is then they had to make the decision that was made and anything else would be wrong. If the push isn't a foul I think it is a yellow card and a penalty for PSG. Pushing Marcelo with straight arms has to be a foul for me.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Var is such a great tool for influencing games. Clear penalty? Well, let's look for a foul 2 min before that...Goal? Well, let's adjust this line a bit and his left bollock is slighly ahead, so offside! - NO GOAL haha

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
They have to check the entire 'play' leading up to the penalty/red card.

Though I think that foul wasn't that obvious to overturn the subsequent penalty.
I get why they do it, but it's explotable.

Say Marcelo gets fouled (shoved from behind in an aerial duel) and loses the ball, he comes back and commits a foul in the area being the last defender, thinking "This is either a VAR review of the foul the did to me, or a goal", risks it and ends up winning.

Similar to the situation with Suarez in 2010, sure you're acting withing the rules of the game, but VAR should work to avoid situations where you can exploit it to your advantage?.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I get why they do it, but it's explotable.

Say Marcelo gets fouled (shoved from behind in an aerial duel) and loses the ball, he comes back and commits a foul in the area being the last defender, thinking "This is either a VAR review of the foul the did to me, or a goal", risks it and ends up winning.

Similar to the situation with Suarez in 2010, sure you're acting withing the rules of the game, but VAR should work to avoid situations where you can exploit it to your advantage?.
And if he doesn't "win" the VAR check he just gave up a penalty for no reason

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Var is such a great tool for influencing games. Clear penalty? Well, let's look for a foul 2 min before that...Goal? Well, let's adjust this line a bit and his left bollock is slighly ahead, so offside! - NO GOAL haha
No VAR is also so fantastic. Clear penalty? Nah, I'll call it outside the box. 5 feet offside? Oh didn't see it, insider. Literally doesn't even make any sense, it's even easier to make shit up without VAR.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I personally love how VAR worked there.

People just love to moan.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I personally love how VAR worked there.

People just love to moan.
I did too but it's still ridiculous

I'm not entirely clear if he originally changed his decision from free kick to penalty before the check? Because if so, that would mean we've got a CL ref who doesn't even know the rules he's supposed to enforce :lol:

Cliche Guevara

Just seen the PSG disallowed goal and it’s unbelievable: The foul happened right in front of the ref who waved at the player to get up. He clearly saw the incident and was unimpressed. I’m not sure VAR is supposed to re-ref the game and change decisions the referee has seen and decided upon.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
No VAR is also so fantastic. Clear penalty? Nah, I'll call it outside the box. 5 feet offside? Oh didn't see it, insider. Literally doesn't even make any sense, it's even easier to make shit up without VAR.
don't get me wrong, I like VAR, I'm just amazed how quickly it introduced new issues

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Just seen the PSG disallowed goal and it’s unbelievable: The foul happened right in front of the ref who waved at the player to get up. He clearly saw the incident and was unimpressed. I’m not sure VAR is supposed to re-ref the game and change decisions the referee has seen and decided upon.
VAR didn't change anything. Ref saw the replay and changed his decision

Irrational.

There once was a young Spud called Alli,
Who was a bit of a thug and a scally.
He turned to cack,
And got Poch the sack.
Against West Ham and Olympiakos he added to his tally.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The ref went to the monitor, saw the incident and then changed his mind.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I did too but it's still ridiculous

I'm not entirely clear if he originally changed his decision from free kick to penalty before the check? Because if so, that would mean we've got a CL ref who doesn't even know the rules he's supposed to enforce :lol:
Yeah, the ref is just horrid.

mu4c_20le

How was that not a foul from Lucas? went through the player to get to the ball

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
There would have been something immensely enjoyable watching Courtois getting sent off.
I agree. I said this before, but I never warmed up to Courtois even when he was at Chelsea. He has prick-face built in pretty solidly.