CL 19/20 Group Stages: Week 6 (Last Round)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
In 2 games you couldnt beat our kids. Our best player and cb and loftus cheek missing to boot.
I'm convinced every single player who is missing a game for Chelsea this season will be referred to as the clubs 'first choice' by you lot

They'll be a game where you'll be bemoaning missing the first choice half time tea lady

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
You sound like a certain Tottenham fan from last season. You got lucky with ref decisions in both matches.

Edit: And wait, you think YOUR team is younger?
Pretty sure the average age was the same but with emerson and james at full back pur age drops massively.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I'm convinced every single player who is missing a game for Chelsea this season will be referred to as the clubs 'first choice' by you lot

They'll be a game where you'll be bemoaning missing the first choice half time tea lady
So ngolo kante isnt our best player ?
Rudiger our best cb ?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Typical Blind, quite solid and organised. Very important for the build up.

Was a fraction of a second too late on the foul, but no intention to harm the player as he had full focus on the ball. Didn’t need to be a yellow honestly, but you can give one for it.

My take, Blind was fouled first, ref should have known he had no advantage from that duel and whistled there and then. But he didn’t.

Subsequently should never have been a penalty. Veltman even tries to pull his arm away. Never worth a second yellow.

Plenty of times I would have expected a yellow for aggressive pushing by Chelsea players.

The 2-4 seemed off-side, at least as if not worse off-side than Promes in the homematch.

Over two matches, Chelsea got extremely and very undeservedly lucky. Maybe spend some more Chelsea lads. Your budget is probably too small.
Yeah, about the second goal, I was convinced it was gonna get ruled out (I'm gonna have to see a replay I guess). But I think the Blind second yellow was deserved. If you're gonna talk about the hand ball for the penalty, how about the handball that ruled out the 5-4? All in all bizarre game anyway.

Heyli

Supports
Ajax
Yeah, about the second goal, I was convinced it was gonna get ruled out (I'm gonna have to see a replay I guess). But I think the Blind second yellow was deserved. If you're gonna talk about the hand ball for the penalty, how about the handball that ruled out the 5-4? All in all bizarre game anyway.
There is a different rule for handball by a defender and handball by an attacker. So it doesn´t make sense to compare.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
WOW. It has been a long time since I've seen such a wild game. 2 reds + penalty seem harsh if that second yellow was for handball, but live I assumed it was for dissent, he was right in referee's face.

That was a penalty 100%, the distance the ball travelled was large and he had all the time to remove the hand, but he didn't. The shot was on target and most likely a goal if the hand wasn't involved.

In the end, it was a fair result, Ajax didn't deserve to lose. We made stupid mistakes which put us at a big disadvantage, but then Ajax made their own stupid mistakes to equal the field.

None of the teams will be happy and both will feel, to some degree, a sense of relief.

Supports
Ajax
Yeah, about the third goal, I was convinced it was gonna get ruled out (I'm gonna have to see a replay I guess). But I think the Blind second yellow was deserved. If you're gonna talk about the hand ball for the penalty, how about the handball that ruled out the 5-4? All in all bizarre game anyway.
Offensive foul with a direct advantage always counted heavier, but in the new rules is always applied as hands. But wasn’t intentional so could have counted in my view. When I reffed I would probably have given advantage to the defending team in such an iffy situation. In this case both advantages would have gone to the defending team.

fps

Why can’t it just be an entertaining game with lots to enjoy, why does everyone rush to moan. I really enjoyed that, and kept flicking across to Dortmund too, missed 2 Chelsea goals in fact as I thought it was over, they’re really building something with Lampard.

Sjaakmeoff

UEFA rules regarding handballs:
Handball Law 12 Changes • Deliberate handball remains an offence • The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
• the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
• a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
•if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)
•If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball

Sjaakmeoff

BTW; the same ref gave a Frosinone player two yellows for two fouls in the same attack last season. The guy is a nutter.

el3mel

I don't get why Conte has been so crap in Europe with all his teams. Juve, Chelsea and Inter, they all struggled big time with him in charge in European competitions (even Europe League with Juve at one point) while he does great in leagues.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't get why Conte has been so crap in Europe with all his teams. Juve, Chelsea and Inter, they all struggled big time with him in charge in European competitions (even Europe League with Juve at one point) while he does great in leagues.
Can't speak for his time at Juve but I felt he did okay in his sole CL season with us, he done well tactically against Barca but Messi (can't really legislate when he's on one).

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
BTW; the same ref gave a Frosinone player two yellows for two fouls in the same attack last season. The guy is a nutter.
I remember that incident and he was praised for that. And it seems logical as well, he committed 2 separate offences.
And it seems in Italy the referees are quite happy to give out red cards. Just look at the games from last 2 weeks - 9 red cards, it's crazy.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Tbf, Juve wasn't quite ready yet to seriously compete for the CL when Conte was there. They matured under Allegri, meanwhile their finances improved massively too.

At Chelsea he had no European football in his first season, and then got knocked out by Barca in his 2nd.

Now, Inter's squad also simply quite isn't ready yet to compete on multiple fronts IMO.
However, overall he could do better in Europe, I agree.

Heyli

Supports
Ajax
Seems to me like according to the rules, it shouldnt have been a penalty.

Really annoyed by the result, but somehow happy with the point after this evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Why? Because He is following the Rules?

Cait Sith

Ziyech Ajax's undisputed MVP in the past 2 seasons but wrong nationality apparently so the guy who sits infront of the defense and plays simple safe passes got hyped to heavens.

Heyli

Supports
Ajax
Ziyech Ajax's undisputed MVP in the past 2 seasons but wrong nationality apparently so the guy who sits infront of the defense and plays simple safe passes got hyped to heavens.
His nationality is Dutch? Who get´s hyped for playing safe passes?

Supports
Ajax
UEFA rules regarding handballs:
Handball Law 12 Changes • Deliberate handball remains an offence • The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
• the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
•if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)
•If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball
Clears Veltman alright and cancels the 5-4.

The yellow card requires intention. Veltman did not move his hand towards the ball. His arm did not move towards the ball, instead he had his arm alongside his body and since he rotated both body away from the shot, so too did his arm move away from the ball.

The main issue here might be that the new rules on hands are too new for many refs to have acquired sufficient experience with it, while I was under the impression the ref tried to assert himself and show he wasn’t afraid to make big impact decisions in important matches.

Tbh I’m glad I stopped reffing after last season with all the incoming rule changes, because the chance for abuse from the sidelines surely increased like last time the off-side rule changed and half the people and players wern’t aware of the changes.

thepolice123

I feel this match is like a carbon copy of that Juventus match. Showed glimpses of brilliance in the first half and then got tactically exposed in the second. I don't think their midfield is ready to step up to the big stages. They need to upgrade their wingbacks too. Once Dortmund had the numerical advantage in the midfield they got completely dominated. I would love to see their pass completion % in the second half because it seems like they struggled to even complete 5 passes.

UncleBob

I can't be arsed to educate a random on the internet more like :lol::lol::lol:
You seem somewhat, eh, strange. You mouth off about new rules, then can't even back it up. The obvious tip would be to suggest that if you don't know what you're talking about, shut up, but with almost 35k posts it's probably naive to expect anything like that.

But hey

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Refereeing/02/60/67/07/2606707_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Deliberate handball remains an offence
• The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick: • the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm • a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity • the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger • the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near • the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger •if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger) •If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball

Greater clarity is needed for handball, especially on those occasions when ‘nondeliberate’ handball is an offence. The re-wording follows a number of principles: • football does not accept a goal being scored by a hand/arm (even if accidental) • football expects a player to be penalised for handball if they gain possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm and gain a major advantage e.g. score or create a goal-scoring opportunity •it is natural for a player to put their arm between their body and the ground for support when falling. • having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a ‘natural’ position and a player is ‘taking a risk’ by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding •if the ball comes off the player’s body, or off another player (of either team) who is close by, onto the hands/arms it is often impossible to avoid contact with the ball • When the GK clearly kicks or tries to kick the ball into play, this shows no intention to handle the ball so, if the ‘clearance’ attempt is unsuccessful, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball without committing an offence

Has nothing to do with it being Chelsea, it's just clearly the wrong decision and it's mental that VAR is that meaningless it can't even sort out a situation like that

Bloedrood

Can Imagine Ajax supporters will feel hard done by. No supporters allowed in the stadium, 2 red cards, 2 penalties. Miracle they got away with a point.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Offensive foul with a direct advantage always counted heavier, but in the new rules is always applied as hands. But wasn’t intentional so could have counted in my view. When I reffed I would probably have given advantage to the defending team in such an iffy situation. In this case both advantages would have gone to the defending team.
I mean for the penalty the player appeared to have had slightly extended his arm whereas in the overruled goal Abraham knew nothing about it (but still no goal, like you say). By the way, I saw the second goal again and I think it was just the live angle that made it look offside. Anyway, I get that Ajax would feel more hard done by in this game than us.

Supermonkey_Wolf

Supports
Chelsea
I'd be livid if i was an Ajax fan. I can imagine one justification for the second penalty though. The defender rotates his body and only his arm is in the way, that the outline of his body fits the 'silhouette' is besides the point. Because he rotates his torso his arm blocks the ball and in that sense he moves towards the ball.

The bottom line is that the new arm ball rules are stupid. Given they way they have been defined, you probably could justify most hand ball penalties but that's because the rules are so bad.

Crazy game, Ajax were lucky to be 2 goals up. With a little bit of focus Tammy stays onside in the first half and his goal stands. Silly rules aside, Ajax were done in by the ref second half.

I hope Valencia drops down into the Europa League and knocks Arsenal out. It's only fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I feel this match is like a carbon copy of that Juventus match. Showed glimpses of brilliance in the first half and then got tactically exposed in the second. I don't think their midfield is ready to step up to the big stages. They need to upgrade their wingbacks too. Once Dortmund had the numerical advantage in the midfield they got completely dominated. I would love to see their pass completion % in the second half because it seems like they struggled to even complete 5 passes.
I don't think Inter were that impressive. In the first game they shut Dortmund out almost entirely, but today Dortmund were doing allright in attack - even during the first half; Götze in particular had a criminal miss. On the other side Inter didn't have a lot of great attacks, the second goal definitely was one, but the first was yet another feckup by Akanji well exploited by an individual moment from Martinez. Their pressing caused some problems, but there are a dozen teams in Bundesliga who can press like that and if it doesn't lead to goals and you're dead on your feet in the second half it's not that great after all, is it?

p.s. their pass completion was 84% in the second half