CL final - an anti-climax?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
especially if it turns out to be a Bundesliga replay.

Not that both teams are undeserving, but rather from an global classic expectation point of view almost any (and probably all) other possible combinations would have been more :drool: than Bayern/Dortmund one. Somehow I feel it is neither a clash of the giants, nor a feel good underdog story...but is lacks the gloss of say a Real/United or even a Bayern/Real match.

A purists game, not a classic. Oh, what it could have been!

Still can't believe we missed out :(

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I'll take this over a Barcelona/Real CL final, but I was really hoping for Bayern/Real.

But am I going to quiver in expectation over this one? Nope.

Fukking Turkish ref...

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I can't wait. The 2 sides i've most enjoyed watching this season, doesn't really bother me that they're both the same country. Infact it interests me to see what difference if any the 20 point lead in the league that Bayern have would make for a one off game.

Scrumpet

There are no words
It's the final I wanted most out of the possibilities. Both teams are playing great, the rivalry will add to it (and not in an ugly clásico way), plus we'll have the Goetze sideshow as well now.

Bayern will probably be on the verge of doing the treble, Dortmund will have the chance to upstage them.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I am happy. Enough of the Spanish wanking, and it's good that it has been put to rest by these two clubs (at least for the time being).

As dominant as Bayern has been this season, Dortmund has been a breath of fresh air. Loved watching them for two seasons in the CL. It's a shame that I don't watch much of Bundesliga.

Gazza

Spanish teams have lost some of the appeal to me because they just resort to the histrionics and playacting far too much, too quickly. It's not every game, but definitely Real and Barca players seem to annoy me a bit more proportionally than other teams. Not really to do with the football they play, but it's a factor for me.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I love the fact Dortmund are in it, will be rooting for them... I thought it was going to be Bayern Real in the final but very happy to be proven wrong!

hp88

I would take an all German final over the pantomime show El Clasico has turned into.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The final I've wanted after united got knocked out, Dortmund I love watching also because of them being underdogs, and bayern have been the best team in the world over the past 2 years and fully deserve to be there. Hopefully they both hold on.

Also I think it's laughable for people to suggest that if nani didn't get sent off that'd we have an easy route to the final. Who's to say we would have held on for the last 30 mins against Madrid, or we wouldn't have been beaten against Dortmund like Madrid were? We would have had no chance against them if they performed like yesterday.

to be honest lost all interest in the CL, after that dreadful red card and not watched any of it since.
You've missed out on probably the best games played all season.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Both Dortmund and Bayern play fantastic offensive football. Quick attacks without the Spanish waffling about in midfield.

Its not an anticlimax at all to me. The best final in recent years (excluding those we've been involved in ofc). Real can still get there though, Dortmund shouldnt think they are through to the final yet.

Godfather

I love Dortmund might make it into the finals. I'd say the strongest 4 teams in the world right now made it into the semis so not really an anti-climax for me. I knew anything could happen.
2 teams with a big history that play wonderful football atm.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
to be honest lost all interest in the CL, after that dreadful red card and not watched any of it since.
You don't know what you've missed out on, it's been the best Champions League in a while in terms of excitement. All quarter-finals except Bayern v Juventus were exciting and the football played by Bayern and Dortmund in semis has been unbelievable.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
You have the potential for two great attacking teams going at it, and although there's not an underdog story as such, Dortmund will be desperate to show up Munich, stop them from winning a probable treble and stick it to them for nicking their best players.

Anna_Livia

A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.
It's a cracking final - all the better for not being contested by teams with an over-inflated sense of their own importance (if we ignore Bayern, I mean...).

I'm thrilled that Mourinho won't be anywhere near it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It is an anti-climax for international marketing but it's the perfect final for the football purist. The two best teams in the competition meeting in the final and added to that they are rival teams. The Gotze story also spices things up.

Doesn't have the glamour of a Barca vs. Madrid final but will definitely be more entertaining (in terms of football anyway).

Bape

That's what they probably thought in 2008 when we were against Chelsea in the CL final to be fair.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn't speak too soon, i'm sure there's a Turkish referee somewhere who will ensure the return leg at Real ends 3-0!

Zen

All-German Final natural really. We've had all England, Italy and Spain. But no. I'd take Borussias last stand vs Bayern.

Wittmann45

Two great sides. Bayern could potential be in line for a treble, Dortmund could feck that up, the storyline about Gotze and speculation about Lewandowski is going to make the tie a little more intriguing. Would be amazing if Gotze had a blinder, Man of the Match and game winning goal

Much rather see this game then Barca-Madrid, or even another English club being in the final.

Godfather

It's a cracking final - all the better for not being contested by teams with an over-inflated sense of their own importance (if we ignore Bayern, I mean...).

I'm thrilled that Mourinho won't be anywhere near it.
I'm even more thrilled Barca aren't.

Sylar

An All German Final at Wembley on the 150th anniversary of the FA :)

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
It will be my favourite non Utd final ever if Dortmund manage to beat those cnuts (Munich, not Madrid)!

Mystry

Friendship is magic
With the way Madrid have been playing this season in the CL, an all German final seems like it would be the most entertaining final. I can understand people wanting to see matches that don't happen every year in the league though and Bayern vs Madrid sounds good on paper, but I've just been underwhelmed a lot of the time I've watched Madrid this season.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
The final I've wanted after united got knocked out, Dortmund I love watching also because of them being underdogs, and bayern have been the best team in the world over the past 2 years and fully deserve to be there. Hopefully they both hold on.

Also I think it's laughable for people to suggest that if nani didn't get sent off that'd we have an easy route to the final. Who's to say we would have held on for the last 30 mins against Madrid, or we wouldn't have been beaten against Dortmund like Madrid were? We would have had no chance against them if they performed like yesterday.

You've missed out on probably the best games played all season.
I'm gonna pull the same one on you....Who's to say we would've had no chance against Borussia? We definitely wouldn't have set up the way Real have, and Fergie is probably the last person to underestimate Borussia.

The last 30 minutes of the Real game are questionable as anything could happen, but we were clearly the better side and looking more likely to grab a 2nd compared to conceiding one. And I think it's safe to say we would've gone past Galatasaray without too much problem.

eh, what's done is done anyway, but I honestly believe the United - Dortmund tie would be anything but over by now, not to mention how great it would be to see these 2 teams go head to head along with Kagawa playing against his old team-mates and coach.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Not an anti-climax at all...look at the talent on the pitch! It's a mouthwatering prospect. It's the quality of football that should concern fans and not perceptions of the clubs themselves.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
This will be quality in every single way. Anti-Climax? Not at all for me. Two teams in a quality league where fans come first getting all the way? Huge atmosphere with less diving, face clutching, rolling around?

Do for me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm gonna pull the same one on you....Who's to say we would've had no chance against Borussia? We definitely wouldn't have set up the way Real have, and Fergie is probably the last person to underestimate Borussia.

The last 30 minutes of the Real game are questionable as anything could happen, but we were clearly the better side and looking more likely to grab a 2nd compared to conceiding one. And I think it's safe to say we would've gone past Galatasaray without too much problem.

eh, what's done is done anyway, but I honestly believe the United - Dortmund tie would be anything but over by now, not to mention how great it would be to see these 2 teams go head to head along with Kagawa playing against his old team-mates and coach.
Oh I know that, I wasn't saying by any means that the same thing would have happened. It just makes me laugh how people were getting even more pissed off when they saw madrids 2 draws and they automatically assumed it was easy, basically writing off Dortmund. It would have been basically 50/50 before the game IMO if we did get through, but something like this could have also happened. Would have been great to see us against Dortmund, I think it would have been a fantastic game. Oh well.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I think it will be more interesting then last years final and I actually look forward to watching it. Obviously not as much as if we were involved, but I prefer it to an all Spanish final

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I'm struggling to see how we could've beaten Dortmund. They're pretty much the worst possible team we could've played. Our team is slack in possession, doesn't cope well with being pressured and is a bit sluggish on the counter. We'd be chasing shadows in midfield trying to match them or suffering onslaught after onslaught against the class of Lewandowski, Gotze et al whilst sitting back.

8/9 times out of 10 I think they would beat us, perhaps convincingly on most of those occasions. There are players we could play to try and help ourselves (Nani, Kagawa, Welbeck, etc...), but we'd probably go and play Giggs, Valencia and Jones all at once and get hammered.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
the casual fans might want to see Real vs Barca but I'd be quite happy with Dortmund v Bayern and I'd root for Dortmund win.
Or or Real vs Bayern and I'd root for Bayern.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's the strongest group of semi-finalists in a decade and has the potential to be the one of the best Champions League finals, IMO. The most dominant team and the most entertaining team up against each other in the final. I'd say that's happened just a handful of times in the CL era: Barca-United '09, Dortmund-Juve '97 and Milan-Barca '94. Should be in for a treat.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I was hoping to see Spain Vs Germany - a Merkel Vs Rajoy replay. As it is, no I won't find an all German final as interesting, because I don't know the players or the teams well enough to debate it before or analyse it after. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy the match itself - it could be a great one - but I won't feel the same buzz of anticipation.

Plus, it doesn't really help that I have an irrational dislike for Bayern, and will find myself relying on Dortmund to keep them in the perpetual bridesmaid role.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
This will be quality in every single way. Anti-Climax? Not at all for me. Two teams in a quality league where fans come first getting all the way? Huge atmosphere with less diving, face clutching, rolling around?

Do for me.
Ja

pauldyson1uk

You don't know what you've missed out on, it's been the best Champions League in a while in terms of excitement. All quarter-finals except Bayern v Juventus were exciting and the football played by Bayern and Dortmund in semis has been unbelievable.
yeah I have been told this, just the level of refereeing really pissed me off.
I can still see Real pulling off the 3-0 win they need at home, I will watch the second legs and the Final.