Clash PSG - Real Madrid| Sir Alex Ferguson, Ronaldo and Beckham to attend the Game | It rains :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treble

Nothing is decided yet. Real are very shaky at the back and PSG have the forwards to punish them big time. Real were lucky to win it with 2 goals. That said, Real will probably win the tie.

RoyH1

It still amazes me how many minimize Madrid's accomplishments and put it all on a combination of luck and referees. And meanwhile they keep on proving doubters wrong and churning CL victories.

Madrid are the ultimate cup team. If the Champions "League" really had a league format, Madrid would probably be hard pressed to make it to the top five. But give them two games, home and away with the players they have and their maniacal devotion to the competition, and they are immediate favorites even against teams that play better football than them.

I still don't think they'll win it this year though. A team with a Heynckes or Guardiola will not make the mistakes Emery made and can bring them down.

JoaquinJoaquin

Some of my scattered thoughts on the game, which I found to be a good one...

- PSG squad depth is still relatively poor, especially in defence. For example, Berchiche was playing for the mighty Cheltenham a few years ago, which is fine when you are playing likes of Troyes and Dijon in the farmers league but when you get to this stage in the Champions League you need better.

- Ronaldo amazes me in how he can do absolutely nothing but then pop up with important goals. His legs have been gone for 18 months but he is still as important as ever for Real.

- The PSG subs were poor IMO. The game was crying out for Di Maria, yet they didn't use him and brought on Meunier (a RB) for Cavani instead. Strange.

- Benzema is terrible now. And this isn't just a judgment based on this game, I have watched him all season and he is absolutely coasting on his name and reputation at this point.

- Both of these teams would comfortably beat us, as the midfields of the 2 teams are just that much stronger. We really need to address that in Summer if we are to really compete for this trophy.

RoyH1

- Benzema is terrible now. And this isn't just a judgment based on this game, I have watched him all season and he is absolutely coasting on his name and reputation at this point.
He doesn't even have a reputation anymore. It's more Zidane stubbornness at this point. Some press reports in Spain say Zidane flat out told Morata that Benzema was always going to play because he was 'his friend' I cannot picture a CL winning manager saying that flat out to a player, but there's little doubt that no one outside Zidane and Florentino believes much in Benzema anymore. You can't even say he's the perfect foil for Ronaldo anymore because he no longer gives any meaningful assists.

That Asensio and Bale sit while Benzema starts every time is baffling.

JoaquinJoaquin

He doesn't even have a reputation anymore. It's more Zidane stubbornness at this point. Some press reports in Spain say Zidane flat out told Morata that Benzema was always going to play because he was 'his friend' I cannot picture a CL winning manager saying that flat out to a player, but there's little doubt that no one outside Zidane and Florentino believes much in Benzema anymore. You can't even say he's the perfect foil for Ronaldo anymore because he no longer gives any meaningful assists.

That Asensio and Bale sit while Benzema starts every time is baffling.
That's crazy if true. If truth be told I don't think Benzema ever become the striker I once thought he would when he was Lyon. You can see why they are being linked with Kane in Summer.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Great game. Both teams throwing themselves all over the place though. And Neymar, as brilliant as he is, is one selfish fecker. Multiple times had a pass on that could've led to something but kept it too long instead.

We'll be fecked if we come up against a team that plays at the tempo these two can.

Trizy

It still amazes me how many minimize Madrid's accomplishments and put it all on a combination of luck and referees. And meanwhile they keep on proving doubters wrong and churning CL victories.

Madrid are the ultimate cup team. If the Champions "League" really had a league format, Madrid would probably be hard pressed to make it to the top five. But give them two games, home and away with the players they have and their maniacal devotion to the competition, and they are immediate favorites even against teams that play better football than them.

I still don't think they'll win it this year though. A team with a Heynckes or Guardiola will not make the mistakes Emery made and can bring them down.
What? you're making it sound like they're an underdog.

They've a world class player in at least 7 positions in their starting 11, (Ronaldo, Bale, Isco, Modric, Kroos, Ramos, Marcelo). and the other 4 are among the best in their positions. If anything they have under achieved up until their 3/4 CLs and even at that, they've won feck all domestically and won't win anything domestically this year either.

Pass and Move

Never seen a club as lucky as RM.
A dubious penalty, an accidental rebound and a scuffed shot last night, on top of all the decisions they've had in their favour over the years. I hope PSG turn this around in the next leg.

Bwuk

Never seen a club as lucky as RM.
A dubious penalty, an accidental rebound and a scuffed shot last night, on top of all the decisions they've had in their favour over the years. I hope PSG turn this around in the next leg.
In what way was it dubious? Le Ceslo put his hands on Kroos it was stupidity on his part.

You make your own luck with the rebound, Ronaldo was there no PSG players were.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I really enjoyed this game. Nacho looks a real player, they didn't miss Carvajal at all.

I have it on good authority The Matchstick Man at Exchange Quay had the scousers on and refused to switch to Real - PSG because 'we're in England'. So they inflicted a scouse cakewalk nobody in that area would have wanted to see instead of a crunch tie between two European heavyweights. Logic.

alpagr

Kroos dived very harsh pen in a big game,the ref was terrible throughout the game .Other examples Neymar booking a tad harsh, especially when Kroos takes out Mbappe and gets nothing,Neymar dive ref making up for earlier poor decision ( no problem with that) Rabiot boooking never touched the player ,early free kick against DElso never touched him.

Not over till the fat lady etc but if ZZ plays Bale and Ascension and Carvahal is fit I can only see Madrid going through,PSG are too inexperienced esp in centre mid.

Last edited by a moderator:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure how that game finished 3-1 to Real.

Penalty changed the game, very soft. Morata got booked and then sent off for protesting a similar incident for Chelsea recently.

PSG don’t play as a team. The dressing room is split by the look of it.

RM will probably score a couple in Paris so it’s going to be difficult for them to qualify IMO.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
That's rubbish, unless they are referring to passes FROM Cavani. Sure the Cavani chance in the first half where Casemiro made a brilliant sliding block in the box was passed from Neymar.
Yes, they are referring to passes from Cavani. Neymar also set up Mbappe big chance at the start of the second half, while Cavani and Neymar both have credit in Rabiot goal if you look at it again.

On a second thought, Neymar didn't have a great game, but his selfishness is getting a little bit exaggerated here considering his part in PSG best chances. But, that goes with a price tag probably and he will always be highlighted in games like this.

norm87cro

I still don't believe the hype PSG get. And Neymar's eagerness to jump ship (after being signed for that much money) just sums him up as a player.

gaucho_10

This is why Neymar will never be able to be regarded as the same calibre as Messi or Ronaldo. Too selfish and plays for himself. Messi creates chances, assists for fun and scores himself and so does a younger Ronaldo.
Exactly, but he does it because there's no leadership from the manager and no actual competition for his team in the league and no matter how many times he fecks up he'l have another opportunity to make it right. There is no consequence for playing irresponsibly so that's what he does. He has fun on the pitch.
Just go a year back. At Barca he didn't play like that. He was passing the ball and creating for others.

Neymar made Nacho his bitch yesterday. He cut's in with such ease, you just can't stop the guy. The problem is that after beating one or two players and basically creating a scoring opportunity for his team mates he doesn't pass the ball and instead takes on the third player and loses the ball. I can remember 3 situations yesterday where he could have served the ball on a platter but luckily for us he decided to keep on going all by himself.

We won't stop him in the next game and he will be playing for the team but I think (and hope) it's too late for them now.

I could also see him leaving Paris in the summer if they go out against us. Neymar likes to be in the spotlight, but considering the league is irrelevant the lights turn off for them when PSG go out of CL. Early exit might make him want to move. He's bigger then PSG so if he decides to leave they won't be able to stop him like they did with Verratti.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Exactly, but he does it because there's no leadership from the manager and no actual competition for his team in the league and no matter how many times he fecks up he'l have another opportunity to make it right. There is no consequence for playing irresponsibly so that's what he does. He has fun on the pitch.
Just go a year back. At Barca he didn't play like that. He was passing the ball and creating for others.

Neymar made Nacho his bitch yesterday. He cut's in with such ease, you just can't stop the guy. The problem is that after beating one or two players and basically creating a scoring opportunity for his team mates he doesn't pass the ball and instead takes on the third player and loses the ball. I can remember 3 situations yesterday where he could have served the ball on a platter but luckily for us he decided to keep on going all by himself.

We won't stop him in the next game and he will be playing for the team but I think (and hope) it's too late for them now.

I could also see him leaving Paris in the summer if they go out against us. Neymar likes to be in the spotlight, but considering the league is irrelevant the lights turn off for them when PSG go out of CL. Early exit might make him want to move. He's bigger then PSG so if he decides to leave they won't be able to stop him like they did with Verratti.
That's interesting, I thought Nacho had a good game considering who he was up against and I've liked him in previous La Liga games I've seen. I should rewatch the game I suppose.

gaucho_10

That's interesting, I thought Nacho had a good game considering who he was up against and I've liked him in previous La Liga games I've seen. I should rewatch the game I suppose.
Taking into account the context he had a good game. After that early warning from the ref he managed to live through the whole game against Neymar and only got booked late when he did a tactical foul on another player, but for our game and lack of natural width wing play from fullbacks is crucial and even though Nacho is no Carvajal attacking wise, he didn't help out much and only went forward when there was absolutely no danger for us to lose the ball and PSG killing us in transition. That's why I say Neymar made him his bitch. He made him play a very cautious game and it limited our options in attack

EDIT;

and still Neymar had his opportunities or should I say situations that didn't materialize only because of his selfishness.

Last edited:

A-man

Some of my scattered thoughts on the game, which I found to be a good one...

- PSG squad depth is still relatively poor, especially in defence. For example, Berchiche was playing for the mighty Cheltenham a few years ago, which is fine when you are playing likes of Troyes and Dijon in the farmers league but when you get to this stage in the Champions League you need better.

- Ronaldo amazes me in how he can do absolutely nothing but then pop up with important goals. His legs have been gone for 18 months but he is still as important as ever for Real.

- The PSG subs were poor IMO. The game was crying out for Di Maria, yet they didn't use him and brought on Meunier (a RB) for Cavani instead. Strange.
To me the PSG defenders were ok defensively, but they could not handle the aggressive pressure from Isco, Ronaldo and the others. I guess you rarely get to face this in French league. Real created several chances from this pressure, and also the second goal. And when players got a bit tired and the tempo lower, they just added speedy players like Bale, Asensio and Vazquez on the pitch. To have this trio on the bench was one big difference between the teams.

I am not sure, but I think the reason for Meunier was that Bale was coming on. There was a risk he would tear them apart with his speed. Still, strange to replace their best goal scorer with a defender. At the same time, Cavani did not create many chances in this match.

I was also very impressed with Ramos performance yesterday… he is simply on a different level when he is at his best. Worldclass both defensively and offensively.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Taking into account the context he had a good game. After that early warning from the ref he managed to live through the whole game against Neymar and only got booked late when he did a tactical foul on another player, but for our game and lack of natural width wing play from fullbacks is crucial and even though Nacho is no Carvajal attacking wise, he didn't help out much and only went forward when there was absolutely no danger for us to lose the ball and PSG killing us in transition. That's why I say Neymar made him his bitch. He made him play a very cautious game and it limited our options in attack.
Yes that's fair. I said earlier in the thread Real didn't miss Carvajal, which isn't true given the gulf between what he and Nacho offer in attack. I suppose what I meant was they didn't lose anything in defence as far as I saw, which is a credit to Nacho but as you say owed much to him offering exceedingly little in attack.

gaucho_10

Yes that's fair. I said earlier in the thread Real didn't miss Carvajal, which isn't true given the gulf between what he and Nacho offer in attack. I suppose what I meant was they didn't lose anything in defence as far as I saw, which is a credit to Nacho but as you say owed much to him offering exceedingly little in attack.
That is definitely correct. If Carvajal was there instead of him with his current form I'm sacred to even think how it would end.

Rajma

I still don't believe the hype PSG get. And Neymar's eagerness to jump ship (after being signed for that much money) just sums him up as a player.
Especially funny considering how Barcelona goes to Madrid this season and comes away with 3-0 victory, Neymar probably now realises what he got himself into. These are the only two PSG games that wider public may watch this season with him in the team as obviously very few people care about French division outside of France, what a let down.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Kroos dived very harsh pen in a big game,the ref was terrible throughout the game .Other examples Neymar booking a tad harsh, especially when Kroos takes out Mbappe and gets nothing,Neymar dive ref making up for earlier poor decision ( no problem with that) Rabiot boooking never touched the player ,early free kick against DElso never touched him.

Not over till the fat lady etc but if ZZ plays Bale and Ascension and Carvahal is fit I can only see Madrid going through,PSG are too inexperienced esp in centre mid.
You're right.... kicking a players legs from behind with NO chance of getting the ball. Since when has that been a yellow card eh? :rolleyes:

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
Kinda glad PSG lost. Spent all that dough on Neymar and potentially Mbappe and still come unstuck in the last 16 (or so it appears so far. Still one leg to go) plus it’s nice to see Neymar on the losing side. Hate the guy.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He has been deployed as a central midfielder. On the rise since 3 months but his physical impact is still limited in this context.

Likely to be part of the World Cup with Argentina (2 caps recently).
As expected, Lo Celso isn't ready, physically strong and experienced to play in this context. So, Verratti had to cover him.

In the meantime, M'bappé's defensive contribution isn't insufficient when we know the quality of Marcelo: everybody knew Marcelo was a dangerous player.

Consequently, M'bappé and Lo Celso made the team unbalancedI IMO

Lo Celso subbed by Diarra at half time and Cavani by Di Maria would have made more sense.

I will never blame Neymar :angel: so the return will be the opportunity for these PSG players to write a nice story in the history of the club.

More disappointed by the coaching than by the result

DI MARIA SCORING AGAINST HIS FORMER TEAM WAS AN OBVIIIIIIOOOOOUUUUSSS SCENARIO :mad::o

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Kinda glad PSG lost. Spent all that dough on Neymar and potentially Mbappe and still come unstuck in the last 16 (or so it appears so far. Still one leg to go) plus it’s nice to see Neymar on the losing side. Hate the guy.
I hope PSG will play against your team in the next round :devil:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Emery is terrible. Should have been replaced in the summer after Monaco winning L1 and the Barca shambles.

I thought PSG were decent last night. Held their own against a good team in their own backyard. I don't really think inexperience cost them or it was another choke job. You just can't account for two lucky goals. It's unfortunate but that's football. They'll be hoping they get a better ref though. Last night's Italian ref was clearly a homer.

Marquinhos was excellent and Motta is a massive miss.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Emery away

Barcelone : 1-6
Madrid : 1-3
Munich : 1-3

Emery at home - never lost a game at home in 18 months

Barcelone : 4-0
Munich : 3-0

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
As expected, Lo Celso isn't ready, physically strong and experienced to play in this context. So, Verratti had to cover him.

In the meantime, M'bappé's defensive contribution isn't insufficient when we know the quality of Marcelo: everybody knew Marcelo was a dangerous player.

Consequently, M'bappé and Lo Celso made the team unbalancedI IMO

Lo Celso subbed by Diarra at half time and Cavani by Di Maria would have made more sense.

I will never blame Neymar :angel: so the return will be the opportunity for these PSG players to write a nice story in the history of the club.

DI MARIA SCORING AGAINST HIS FORMER TEAM WAS AN OBVIIIIIIOOOOOUUUUSSS SCENARIO :mad::o
There may be a coaching vacancy there soon, get your CV ready.

el3mel

Madrid will score in France easily. Can't see PSG progressing at all.

At 2-1 there might have been a chance, but 3-1, nah, don't think so.

Will be hilarious so. Spend ton of money to just win French League. Highly predict Neymar to make lots of problems in dressing room in the rest of the season after their exit, before he fecks off to Madrid next season.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Emery is terrible. Should have been replaced in the summer after Monaco winning L1 and the Barca shambles.

I thought PSG were decent last night. Held their own against a good team in their own backyard. I don't really think inexperience cost them or it was another choke job. You just can't account for two lucky goals. It's unfortunate but that's football. They'll be hoping they get a better ref though. Last night's Italian ref was clearly a homer.

Marquinhos was excellent and Motta is a massive miss.
-------------- Cavani
----------------------------- M'bappé who should have done a better job on Marcelo
----- Neymar
--------------Rabiot
---------------------- Verratti who had to save Lo Celso
----------------Lo Celso
Berchiche----------------------- Dani Alves
-------- Kimpembe---- Marquinhos

On the whole, the team was decent but the mild Lo Celso has become a strong liability/burden in this context, which urged the right central midfielder Verratti to play more centrally as usually. Dani Alves is 34 and M'bbapé 19 is always a very advanced forward with limited appetite for defending.

Then, we had

-------------- M'bappé
-----------------------------
----- Neymar
--------------Rabiot------------- Dani Alves 34 years
---------------------- Verratti
----------------Lo Celso
Berchiche----------------------- Meunier better offensively than defensively, not easy to enter in this context
-------- Kimpembe---- Marquinhos

Obviously the referee was against us but we lost the game for tactical considerations.

Once again, Di Maria is in a brilliant shape since early January and would have scored against his former team.

Motta is a massive miss.
Emery away

Barcelone : 1-6 <---- Motta injured
Madrid : 1-3 <---- Motta injured
Munich : 1-3 <---- Motta injured

When fit, he is our brain :drool:

A mix of

- The Italian tactical skills and aggressiveness: he's Italian
- The Brazilian technical skills: as a Brazilian, he grew up there
- The Barcelona expertise: he learned the job at La Masia and has to be viewed as an ancestor of Busquets

Sad he is 37 years old.

RoyH1

What? you're making it sound like they're an underdog.

They've a world class player in at least 7 positions in their starting 11, (Ronaldo, Bale, Isco, Modric, Kroos, Ramos, Marcelo). and the other 4 are among the best in their positions. If anything they have under achieved up until their 3/4 CLs and even at that, they've won feck all domestically and won't win anything domestically this year either.
It's not me that's making them sound like an underdog. Half of the people posting here (not only here to be honest) were giving PSG as prohibitive favorites and were putting up all sorts of excuses when PSG lost. And you're quite right, a team with those players shouldn't be underdog to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.