Clearing up some myths about Roy Keane

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
What has he got to gain though? If he really didn't want Mourinho as manager he'd have more influence by saying so. Would Utd fans have accepted Mourinho so readily if he'd been slinging mud back and forth with Alex Ferguson? It just doesn't wash as a reason to be pretend to like somebody.
Meh...Politics ain't it?!

Couldn't give a feck who or what Fergie likes now. The future is bright now, after those three horrid years. Let's look forward, not back

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What has he got to gain though? If he really didn't want Mourinho as manager he'd have more influence by saying so. Would Utd fans have accepted Mourinho so readily if he'd been slinging mud back and forth with Alex Ferguson? It just doesn't wash as a reason to be pretend to like somebody.
'Twas sarcasm, mate.

Should've added a bit of white text, in fairness - it's not easy to keep track of who's messing with who these days.

acnumber9

'Twas sarcasm, mate.

Should've added a bit of white text, in fairness - it's not easy to keep track of who's messing with who these days.
To be fair I always had you pegged as a sensible one so I half thought it may be a parody.

acnumber9

Meh...Politics ain't it?!

Couldn't give a feck who or what Fergie likes now. The future is bright now, after those three horrid years. Let's look forward, not back
I don't doubt Fergie is good at playing the game to his advantage and can scheme with the best of them. The problem I have with most of these scenarios is that they're really, really shit. It makes zero sense.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I have never seen a hint of credible evidence that Fergie has actively worked against the appointment of Mourinho – much less on the grounds we're talking about here, i.e. that he's trying to protect his own legacy by opposing a first class manager (who might conceivably win a trophy or two).

It sounds like utter bollocks to me and it's usually peddled by people who don't like Fergie very much to begin with.

I like Fergie myself, and make no secret of that. I don't think he's a saint, though, or that he never made questionable decisions – or that he doesn't have an ego. But I don't think he's a petty man - and I see no reason to entertain baseless conspiracy theories.

Champagne Football

I think he was one of the first names on everyone's all time XI's back in the day.......But Keano has that bi-polar thing going where he can say the wrong thing every now and again and can come of as a bit of a nutter even though it was that fearless bi-polar thing that made him so influentential and fearless......So many of his old teammates often say in the media frequently that he was the best they played with........When he had all that war with Fergie then suddenly I noticed Robson had started to overtake him again in everyone's all time XI's. At the end of the day if you're from Wales then you will say Giggs was the best ever....From Lisbon then you'll say Ronnie....from England you'll say Scholes and if you're from Ireland then you'll probably say Keane was easily best ever

Bwuk

Great player, but a tit of a man. Clear anger management issues.

gav81

Why do you think people view Keane differently? Do you think people just decided en masse not to like him for no reason?
I don’t differentiate whether it’s Ferguson, Cantona or Keane deliberately taking out a player. So you could probably explain better than me why each incident is treated differently. There must be bias involved in it and a couple of reasons for that I would suggest are: -

1) Media coverage is more widespread and intrusive now than it ever has been. Keane was a fiery and confrontational character on the pitch and our TV screens every week, therefore everything he has done since becomes a lazy caricaturization of that. There’s nothing like a pantomime villain to sell a story. It’s just a shame some United fans buy it.

2) The Ferguson/Keane fall out (aka media created battle of hero/pantomime villain) has presented a situation where supporters feel the need to pick a side. There can be only one winner but in my opinion it’s a false dilemma to start with – there is a middle argument that both Ferguson and Keane did what they had to do.

The result is, when some supporters now discuss the Haaland incident, they see Keane as that media caricaturization/pantomime villain and instantly condemn him (boo, hisssss). In contrast, when Ferguson hatchets down an opposition player, because of his enormous success, he is seen as a hero. Cantona also gets away with his indiscretions because somehow he has this public image of a cool, calm Frenchman who comes out with philosophical quotes – which is rubbish because he’s actually more of a hot head than Keane has ever been.

Fecking mad man (and genius), but it doesn't tarnish his legacy in the same way it has done for Keane.

gav81

I have to ask - are you an ITK or friend or family member of Roy Keanes? Or a PR representative that found the board?
No. This is silly. Are you a City supporter? Are you connected to Haaland? Is that why you denigrate Keane? :lol:

I ask because it seems like you support Roy Keane over and above Manchester United.
I promote Keane only because I believe it's in the interest of United that he has a role back at the club – and that is absolutely true; I wouldn't have started this thread otherwise. But it's an interesting one, thinking about it a little more. For me, Keane more than any other player represents the fabric of United, the heart and soul of the club that I knew for 25 years. I look at the club now, the last three years, and I do wonder, is Roy Keane more Manchester United than, well... Manchester United? That is what's driving me - I don't recognise us as the same club since Ferguson left. I'd like to see Manchester United back – Keane has that United DNA.

A guy like Roy Keane would be an incredible soldier or even captain-general, but footballers these days are precious little creatures and - for the most part - basically spoiled children. Managing guys like Cleverley, Agbonlahor, Januzaj is beyond him because he is 100% set in his way of thinking and seemingly incapable of compromise hence his various fallings out over the years.
I don't view this as a negative; I don't want “precious little creatures” or prima donas at the club. I certainly don't want rubbish like Agbonlahor, or even Januzaj after Nicky Butt's comments about his application. I want professionals who train hard to be the best and do it because they want to be recognised as such. I don't want players more interested in social media or who are in it only to pick up their paycheck. I want men representing the club. Keane would have no problem with the likes of Martial and Rashford who appear dedicated professionals, but he wouldn't tolerate a Januzaj or a Depay or any other player not 100% focussed on the task – they can shape up or get out - and that's a good thing in my view.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I promote Keane only because I believe it's in the interest of United that he has a role back at the club – and that is absolutely true; I wouldn't have started this thread otherwise.
Why is it important that he has a role here?

gav81

There you go again. I talk about Keane and you automatically mention SAF and Cantona (who I wasn't talking about) and scream double standards.
It's called comparsion – it helps to put things in perspective. And I didn't “scream” anything, sorry if you thought that. I'm just saying perhaps it is unfair that Ferguson, Cantona and Keane should be treated differently for the same action, i.e. taking out an opposition player.

Pull me up on what I POST and stop trying to throw me into the "I only see what Roy did wrong camp" please? If you don't want to respond then that's cool with me, but please stop putting words there that I did not write or bringing up points I did not raise. So you start a thread and no one is supposed to respond with posts that you don't like. You should have labelled it the Roy Keane only appreciation thread and not given the impression that you needed to make this thread to defend Roy from the evil lying bastards that are ruining his good name.
I'm not pulling you up on anything, I'm sharing my views and attempting discussion. I'm sure I don't need to stick to only the points you raise in doing that. Likewise, anyone else can respond with what they want – you might notice very few comments on the thread have actually addressed anything in my OPs – and it doesn't matter if I like it or not. The only one trying to tell anyone what they can or can't write here is you. Get a grip man. But for the record, I enjoyed reading your last post.

.Rossi

It's called comparsion – it helps to put things in perspective. And I didn't “scream” anything, sorry if you thought that. I'm just saying perhaps it is unfair that Ferguson, Cantona and Keane should be treated differently for the same action, i.e. taking out an opposition player.
Change the thread title to Scholes/Neville or Giggs and they'll be tickling your wotsits

gav81

Change the thread title to Scholes/Neville or Giggs and they'll be tickling your wotsits
Jesus Christ, I'd best be leaving the thread title as it is then :eek:

Thanks for that, Rossi. If people want to say Keane has certain traits of being a cnut then yeah, I can understand that. But to say the man is a cnut [fullstop] is a little short-sighted and ignores the big picture; not least all of the charity work and time out he has taken for good causes.

.Rossi

Jesus Christ, I'd best be leaving the thread title as it is then :eek:

Thanks for that, Rossi. If people want to say Keane has certain traits of being a cnut then yeah, I can understand that. But to say the man is a cnut [fullstop] is a little short-sighted and ignores the big picture; not least all of the charity work and time out he has taken for good causes.

Ah he's an awful human being though....Worst of the worst apparently.

As I said, I completely understand those who hate or dislike him over comments made over the club. United before anyone else as far as I'm concerned. It's easy to understand and I personally get it.

Change Keane's name to Neville/Scholes or Giggs in the title and half the people in this thread will be praising you though :D

"Ooo our Nev is so red!! He needed to do that to Haaland. Cheeky Robbo haha he was right to egg him on and encourage him"

They'll call Keane out over something he said years ago, when he was angry and hurt but, they don't dare to call Neville the bullshitter, that he is, over running De Gea's name through the mud and bigging up Joe Hart...Not just after one match, but over the course of two years.....If Keane said that though :D

Last edited:

.Rossi

He kicked Haaland's right leg.....Haaland done his other leg the following week. Nowt to do with Keane

He got a ban, a massive fine and never done any damage to Haaland. He failed in his mission anyways. I was at that match and Haaland was fine....So fine that he taunted some of our supporters afterwards

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He kicked Haaland's right leg.....Haaland done his other leg the following week. Nowt to do with Keane
You should probably be a bit clearer. He clearly injured his left leg that day. However you I think are talking about Haalands career ending injury.

.Rossi

You should probably be a bit clearer. He clearly injured his left leg that day. However you I think are talking about Haalands career ending injury.
Read above....Haaland was fine that day and taunted United fans at the full time whistle. I was there, I seen him. He played the following week, without any issue or injury

But yeah....Don't let that stop you. Keane destroyed his life. He gets free Opel Fruits for life now. Poor Alf can't even walk to the fridge without the thoughts of Keane coming at him with a guillotine

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Read above....Haaland was fine that day and taunted United fans at the full time whistle. I was there, I seen him. He played the following week, without any issue or injury

But yeah....Don't let that stop you. Keane destroyed his life. He gets free Opel Fruits for life now. Poor Alf can't even walk to the fridge without the thoughts of Keane coming at him with a guillotine
I never said any of that or ever insinuated anything along those lines.
I was responding to what I thought was a comment on keanes tackle that day. You were talking about Haalands career ending injury which Keane had nothing about.
The bolded bit above is a great example of what a complete numpty you have always been on here. Dont pick your nose kid, your head will cave in. Muppet.

.Rossi

I never said any of that or ever insinuated anything along those lines.
I was responding to what I thought was a comment on keanes tackle that day. You were talking about Haalands career ending injury which Keane had nothing about.
The bolded bit above is a great example of what a complete numpty you have always been on here. Dont pick your nose kid, your head will cave in. Muppet.
Oh please...You were clearly going that way. Don't bullshit me.

But go on though....Feel free to keep insulting me. Makes a change that you do it in public now instead of PMing me

gav81

As I said, I completely understand those who hate or dislike him over comments made over the club. United before anyone else as far as I'm concerned. It's easy to understand and I personally get it.
Yeah, maybe. The shame is I'm sure Keane only came out with his comment, “they have wiped me from their history and I have wiped them from mine” because he was hurting. He even refers in that interview to, “at the business end what these clubs can do to people”.

It's like a relationship breakup you never wanted. There comes a point where it hurts too much and so you go the opposite of what you really believe just to get some distance and escape it: “Feckin bitch, I wouldn't touch her with a barge-pole”.

Then a few more years pass until you get over it properly and can look back objectively: “I loved everything about United — the badge, the history, the pressures, the supporters, Old Trafford. Everything about it I loved.”

acnumber9

I don’t differentiate whether it’s Ferguson, Cantona or Keane deliberately taking out a player. So you could probably explain better than me why each incident is treated differently. There must be bias involved in it and a couple of reasons for that I would suggest are: -

1) Media coverage is more widespread and intrusive now than it ever has been. Keane was a fiery and confrontational character on the pitch and our TV screens every week, therefore everything he has done since becomes a lazy caricaturization of that. There’s nothing like a pantomime villain to sell a story. It’s just a shame some United fans buy it.

2) The Ferguson/Keane fall out (aka media created battle of hero/pantomime villain) has presented a situation where supporters feel the need to pick a side. There can be only one winner but in my opinion it’s a false dilemma to start with – there is a middle argument that both Ferguson and Keane did what they had to do.

The result is, when some supporters now discuss the Haaland incident, they see Keane as that media caricaturization/pantomime villain and instantly condemn him (boo, hisssss). In contrast, when Ferguson hatchets down an opposition player, because of his enormous success, he is seen as a hero. Cantona also gets away with his indiscretions because somehow he has this public image of a cool, calm Frenchman who comes out with philosophical quotes – which is rubbish because he’s actually more of a hot head than Keane has ever been.

Fecking mad man (and genius), but it doesn't tarnish his legacy in the same way it has done for Keane.
Very few are actually talking about Haaland. I don't particularly care about it and haven't mentioned it once for example. Keane's legacy hasn't been tarnished at all. He's still viewed as the great player he always was. The affection from some fans just isn't the same as it once was. Because he, unlike the others he's being compared to, said he didn't care about United anymore. He allowed his problems with the manager to effect what he said. That he's changed his mind just because the person he doesn't like isn't here anymore makes it worse for me. But everybody has bias. Yourself included.

Shinehead Dred

I'm not pulling you up on anything, I'm sharing my views and attempting discussion. I'm sure I don't need to stick to only the points you raise in doing that. Likewise, anyone else can respond with what they want – you might notice very few comments on the thread have actually addressed anything in my OPs – and it doesn't matter if I like it or not. The only one trying to tell anyone what they can or can't write here is you. Get a grip man. But for the record, I enjoyed reading your last post.
Please tell me where I have implied that people can't or shouldn't post here. The question I merely asked is what prompted this thread?

Scream is meant figuratively not literally as you well know. As I said before you are an intelligent man and I think you know what I mean. Stop being pedantic.

What haven't I got a grip on? I'm baffled. You're taking the Roy Keane bandwagon on a world tour of internet forums and I need to get a grip. Deary me.

As a supporter of this great club for nearly 40 years I have a slightly different perspective about what represents the fabric of the club. But I really don't have an issue with what you believe. Just don't agree with all of it.

Btw. Thanks :)

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
fecking hell.....That is actually low. From you especially, who is usually a top guy

That is actually a disgraceful remark
Bollocks. What's low, and depressingly predictable, is using pics like that to drive an agenda.

And there'll be similar pics of all the players you, for example, routinely have a pop at whenever Keane or Irwin in particular come in for criticism.

Keep your faux moral outrage to yourself in future.

.Rossi

Bollocks. What's low, and depressingly predictable, is using pics like that to drive an agenda.

And there'll be similar pics of all the players you, for example, routinely have a pop at whenever Keane or Irwin in particular come in for criticism.

Keep your faux moral outrage to yourself in future.
Well number 1, it wasn't me who posted the fecking picture so get your facts right.

Number 2, what the feck has Denis Irwin got to do with this? On the back foot are we?

You wanna belittle a pic of a sick child and Roy Keane, be my guest. I'm saying no more. Want no part in it

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Well number 1, it wasn't me who posted the fecking picture so get your facts right.

Number 2, what the feck has Denis Irwin got to do with this? On the back foot are we?

You wanna belittle a pic of a sick child and Roy Keane, be my guest. I'm saying no more. Want no part in it
!. I didn't say you did post it did I? Reread that bit.

2. You get all hysterical whenever Roy or Dennis come in for any perceived criticism. I say "perceived" because, a lot of the time, it's in your head as it is with the OP here and this supposed misrepresentation of Keane. It's plain downright odd but it's been your M.O. for some time here. You also invariably respond with your stock "What about the Cof92" whining as though that has any relevance whatsoever.

3. I haven't belittled anything other than the use of a picture such as that to take the moral high ground in a thread such as this.

4. I'm glad to hear you "want no part in it" because this thread would be immeasurably improved by your absence. I'm sure there's an Irish player in another thread somewhere who needs protecting from terrible misrepresentation so off you go.

nick2004

It seems to me that there a lot of fans that feel Man Utd is their family and SAF is their dad. So, if a player has a feud with SAF, these fans take it personally. That's the feeling I get reading some posts against Keane.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
It seems to me that there a lot of fans that feel Man Utd is their family and SAF is their dad. So, if a player has a feud with SAF, these fans take it personally. That's the feeling I get reading some posts against Keane.
So, players are our brothers?

Well, I for one, am not a fan of family feuds!