Clearing up some myths about Roy Keane

gav81

I never said Scholes was livid? And if you meant Keane, I didn't mention Keane's opinion on Giggs as a candidate.
I think you suggested Ferguson was livid about the appointment of Mourinho.

@Zarlak is just pointing out that actually the two class themselves as friends.

WhoDaGOAT

I think you suggested Ferguson was livid about the appointment of Mourinho.

@Zarlak is just pointing out that actually the two class themselves as friends.
In the media, they do. They're clever.

Ferguson knows that Mourinho is a threat to his legacy. Not in terms of longevity, but potentially titles per season ratio and, more realistically, his Champions League record. It's not unrealistic to think that Mourinho can win The Champions League here within 3 years.

A part of me wouldn't be surprised that Pogba being signed for a record fee is trolling by Mourinho. He brings back the one player Fergie let get away. It's a statement. As in, even your hero makes mistakes and I'm the one bringing him back. Of course Mourinho is going to remain friendly in the public eye. He was flirting with the job for years. Being hostile towards the club's greatest manager isn't going to do him any favours. At the end of the day, I think they're acquaintances.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Ferguson knows that Mourinho is a threat to his legacy. Not in terms of longevity, but potentially titles per season ratio and, more realistically, his Champions League record. It's not unrealistic to think that Mourinho can win The Champions League here within 3 years.

A part of me wouldn't be surprised that Pogba being signed for a record fee is trolling by Mourinho. He brings back the one player Fergie let get away. It's a statement. As in, even your hero makes mistakes and I'm the one bringing him back. Of course Mourinho is going to remain friendly in the public eye. He was flirting with the job for years. Being hostile towards the club's greatest manager isn't going to do him any favours. At the end of the day, I think they're acquaintances.
Whereas you get your insight into their relationship from....?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I never said Scholes was livid? And if you meant Keane, I didn't mention Keane's opinion on Giggs as a candidate.
You said that SAF is probably livid that one of his friends who he has previously talked about a while back as a man who could be successful at United and has what it takes to be in charge here has been appointed United manager. Sounds like bollocks to me, your agenda shines through. The two men regularly enjoy each others company. Livid indeed.

WhoDaGOAT

You said that SAF is probably livid that one of his friends who he has previously talked about a while back as a man who could be successful at United and has what it takes to be in charge here has been appointed United manager. Sounds like bollocks to me, your agenda shines through.
You can believe everything you read. Cool with me. It's not like he did his utmost best to have Moyes appointed over his good old pal, José.

Zarlak

You can believe everything you read. Cool with me. It's not like he did his utmost best to have Moyes appointed over his good old pal, José.
It's ironic that you tell me to believe everything I read, and then the second half of your statement is at best, you believing everything you read.

I think it's blatantly obvious to anybody with half a brain cell that the two are friends. You can take every indication that you have of something to be what they appear to be, or you can for no reason at all and with no indication to do so, question it and arrive at a completely separate conclusion. I know which one looks more sensible.

WhoDaGOAT

It's ironic that you tell me to believe everything I read, and then the second half of your statement is at best, you believing everything you read.

I think it's blatantly obvious to anybody with half a brain cell that the two are friends. You can take every indication that you have of something to be what they appear to be, or you can for no reason at all and with no indication to do so, question it and arrive at a completely separate conclusion. I know which one looks more sensible.
So you believe the majority of news outlets if they run the same story (which is usually a domino effect). Two or three sources dispute the stories that Fergie and José are long term lovers who drink fine wine and speak openly about one another = crazy with a capital K.

Okay mate. Cool story. Stick to your guns.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

WTF? Has to be a wum or some RAWK/BlueMoon level logic at least.

Zarlak

So you believe the majority of news outlets if they run the same story (which is usually a domino effect). Two or three sources dispute the stories that Fergie and José are long term lovers who drink fine wine and speak openly about one another = crazy with a capital K.

Okay mate. Cool story. Stick to your guns.
No, I believe SAF and Jose themselves who speak often about it. But carry on drawing your own conclusions. Everything is a conspiracy.

WhoDaGOAT

No, I believe SAF and Jose themselves who speak often about it. But carry on drawing your own conclusions. Everything is a conspiracy.
And they couldn't possibly have an agenda in the world of football politics?

Correct. Who shot JR, that's what I wanna know.

Zarlak

:lol: Like I said, you can take every indication that you have of something to be what they appear to be, or you can for no reason at all and with no indication to do so, question it and arrive at a completely separate conclusion. I know which one looks more sensible. If it makes you feel better to think that SAF is livid about this despite you having absolutely no indication or evidence of it at all, then you keep it up. You must be livid that grass is green. I mean, I have no indication or evidence to believe that, but you might possibly have some kind of agenda on it so why not.

gav81

This is a bit too pro-Keane for me to take it seriously.
Perish the thought, as United supporters, we would ever want to be too pro-Keane. I mean imagine, looking at the positive side of the most successful captain in the club’s history. On a Man Utd forum no less. Don’t know what I was thinking. I need to get in the spirit more…

Yeah, Keano, great player, fecking cnut, shit manager, idiot, asshole, headcase...

Actually, makes me feel like a traitor to be honest, especially when I know what I’m saying isn’t true.

Not sure how some of you are comfortable with it.

gav81

Also anyone who would openly do a player has got to be a tad touched? Ffs we all knew he was going to do it!!!! The fact it was who he did and the team he did it against is the only mitigating factor imo:D. But you can't get away from the fact he has some problems.
Do you know Ferguson did the same during his playing career?

St Mirren were playing a pre-season game in South America, 1976. Ferguson was player-manager. One particular opposition centre back was dishing out some rough treatment to one of the St Mirren strikers. Ferguson subbed himself on with the single purpose to ‘do him’. Even got sent off for his efforts á la Keane.

Here is Fergie's recollection: -

"In the first contest for a cross, I exacted a bit of revenge on the centre-half, whose squeals caused the referee to point at me ominously.

“The confrontation became fierce until I nailed Torrance's abuser perfectly. As he rolled about like a dying man, the referee sent me off.”

Do you think Fergie was a tad touched?

Have you seen some of the crazy tackles, stamps and the kung-fu kick Cantona made through his career? He could be a really naughty boy at times and made Keane look like an angel in comparison. Yet no one mentions those incidents or says Cantona had problems any time his name comes up.

I’m not sure why the double-standard when it comes to Keane.

acnumber9

To what end do they pretend to like each other? Why doesn't Alex Ferguson pretend to be friends with Benitez?

acnumber9

Why do you think people view Keane differently? Do you think people just decided en masse not to like him for no reason?

JustAFan

Actually, makes me feel like a traitor to be honest, especially when I know what I’m saying isn’t true.

Deep breaths and Stay Calm.

People having their own opinions should not cause you so much discomfort. Providing you are not hatching plans to kidnap Roy, tie him to a bed in your home and smash his ankles.

JustAFan

Already explained. No need to be dramatic for the sake of it.
Indeed, advice you should take. A 100mil wum, sure happens all the time, makes perfect sense....not overly dramatic at all. :rolleyes: You should probably hook up with @King Eric 7 and @BringNaniBack they love some good tinfoil hat conspiracy nonsense.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Deep breaths and Stay Calm.

People having their own opinions should not cause you so much discomfort. Providing you are not hatching plans to kidnap Roy, tie him to a bed in your home and smash his ankles.
I have never been so happy to read the word ankle.

WhoDaGOAT

To what end do they pretend to like each other? Why doesn't Alex Ferguson pretend to be friends with Benitez?
Mourinho has never had a war of words with Ferguson like with Rafa and Wenger. They also never got the better of him like Mourinho has. He doesn't want to appear bitter that their head to head record reads 7 wins, 7 draws and 2 defeats in Mournho's favour. Mourinho does respect Ferguson, but kissed up to him due to wanting the job.

WhoDaGOAT

Indeed, advice you should take. A 100mil wum, sure happens all the time, makes perfect sense....not overly dramatic at all. :rolleyes: You should probably hook up with @King Eric 7 and @BringNaniBack they love some good tinfoil hat conspiracy nonsense.
If you want to ignore the explanation, that's cool. Emojis are cool debating tools too.

GazTheLegend

Perish the thought, as United supporters, we would ever want to be too pro-Keane. I mean imagine, looking at the positive side of the most successful captain in the club’s history. On a Man Utd forum no less. Don’t know what I was thinking. I need to get in the spirit more…

Yeah, Keano, great player, fecking cnut, shit manager, idiot, asshole, headcase...

I have to ask - are you an ITK or friend or family member of Roy Keanes? Or a PR representative that found the board?

I ask because it seems like you support Roy Keane over and above Manchester United.

Your insistence on Roy Keane as being the best possible managerial candidate for our club borders on idolatrous zealotry. While a lot of what's written about Roy Keane is tarnished by people's confirmation bias, there can surely be no doubt that the guys certifiable.

A guy like Roy Keane would be an incredible soldier or even captain-general, but footballers these days are precious little creatures and - for the most part - basically spoiled children. Managing guys like Cleverley, Agbonlahor, Januzaj is beyond him because he is 100% set in his way of thinking and seemingly incapable of compromise hence his various fallings out over the years. Roy Keane would be a total disaster as Manchester United manager and this much is plain to see, but that doesn't change the fact that - at least on my part - I love and loved having him here and have many great memories of the man.

Witchking

Mourinho has never had a war of words with Ferguson like with Rafa and Wenger. They also never got the better of him like Mourinho has. He doesn't want to appear bitter that their head to head record reads 7 wins, 7 draws and 2 defeats in Mournho's favour. Mourinho does respect Ferguson, but kissed up to him due to wanting the job.
Ok, so the rest of the mere mortals get it from the media that Jose and Fergie are friends. So how do you know that there's something deep and sinister in the friendship and Jose brought Pogba to troll Fergie?

acnumber9

So he pretends to be his friend because he doesn't want to appear bitter? Because Alwx Ferguson cares what the media think of him? It's quite an imagination you have there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ok, so the rest of the mere mortals get it from the media that Jose and Fergie are friends. So how do you know that there's something deep and sinister in the friendship and Jose brought Pogba to troll Fergie?
Ooooh, can I guess? I'm gonna say he got it from less reliable media sources.

*crosses fingers*

Shinehead Dred

Do you know Ferguson did the same during his playing career?

St Mirren were playing a pre-season game in South America, 1976. Ferguson was player-manager. One particular opposition centre back was dishing out some rough treatment to one of the St Mirren strikers. Ferguson subbed himself on with the single purpose to ‘do him’. Even got sent off for his efforts á la Keane.

Here is Fergie's recollection: -

"In the first contest for a cross, I exacted a bit of revenge on the centre-half, whose squeals caused the referee to point at me ominously.

“The confrontation became fierce until I nailed Torrance's abuser perfectly. As he rolled about like a dying man, the referee sent me off.”

Do you think Fergie was a tad touched?

Have you seen some of the crazy tackles, stamps and the kung-fu kick Cantona made through his career? He could be a really naughty boy at times and made Keane look like an angel in comparison. Yet no one mentions those incidents or says Cantona had problems any time his name comes up.

There you go again. I talk about Keane and you automatically mention SAF and Cantona (who I wasn't talking about) and scream double standards. You conviently bend things to suit you. Pull me up on what I POST and stop trying to throw me into the "I only see what Roy did wrong camp" please? If you don't want to respond then that's cool with me, but please stop putting words there that I did not write or bringing up points I did not raise. So you start a thread and no one is supposed to respond with posts that you don't like. You should have labelled it the Roy Keane only appreciation thread and not given the impression that you needed to make this thread to defend Roy from the evil lying bastards that are ruining his good name.

I bet your question to me is serious as well?

Mindhunter

You are getting some unnecessary stick from people because you went a bit overboard with the "legacy" and "Pogba" claims but in general the idea isn't inconceivable in the least.

There are various reports in the media that suggest that it was Fergie who vetoed Mourinho's candidature to the board after he resigned. Maybe it wasn't legacy but he did not want United to go in a certain direction in terms of the brand of football and the type of people at the club. If you run something for 26 years, you are sure to have some sort of a sense of ownership remaining. And Fergie was always a strong owner of things.

Also, in his time in England, Mourinho has had bust ups with the managers of all other top clubs except SAF. This definitely looks like a PR exercise than something that happened naturally. Mourinho also claimed after his RM team won at OT in the CL that the better team lost etc.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I believe that Fergie deliberately avoided falling out with Mourinho for years. He did this as a safety measure: If Plan A (using his influence to make sure Mourinho never becomes United manager) fails, he can fall back on this “hey, look – I ain't bitter” ruse, and nobody's the wiser.

Someone does know, though. Somebody always knows. But these people (who know) have decided to keep it to themselves – largely. They've spread it around a bit, granted (among themselves, one could perhaps say), but never fed it all (nevermind sold it) to reputable journos (who could have made quite a feast of it). Why? Well, they're afraid. Fergie's influence is vast reaching. He commands the likes of Scholes and Moyes. Probably Phelan too – and you don't want him knocking on your door late one night.

Shinehead Dred

I believe that Fergie deliberately avoided falling out with Mourinho for years. He did this as a safety measure: If Plan A (using his influence to make sure Mourinho never becomes United manager) fails, he can fall back on this “hey, look – I ain't bitter” ruse, and nobody's the wiser.

Someone does know, though. Somebody always knows. But these people (who know) have decided to keep it to themselves – largely. They've spread it around a bit, granted (among themselves, one could perhaps say), but never fed it all (nevermind sold it) to reputable journos (who could have made quite a feast of it). Why? Well, they're afraid. Fergie's influence is vast reaching. He commands the likes of Scholes and Moyes. Probably Phelan too – and you don't want him knocking on your door late one night.
In them shorts!!!!

WhoDaGOAT

You are getting some unnecessary stick from people because you went a bit overboard with the "legacy" and "Pogba" claims but in general the idea isn't inconceivable in the least.

There are various reports in the media that suggest that it was Fergie who vetoed Mourinho's candidature to the board after he resigned. Maybe it wasn't legacy but he did not want United to go in a certain direction in terms of the brand of football and the type of people at the club. If you run something for 26 years, you are sure to have some sort of a sense of ownership remaining. And Fergie was always a strong owner of things.

Also, in his time in England, Mourinho has had bust ups with the managers of all other top clubs except SAF. This definitely looks like a PR exercise than something that happened naturally. Mourinho also claimed after his RM team won at OT in the CL that the better team lost etc.

Glad I'm not completely alone with the idea.

Fully Fledged

All footballers visit the sick and deal with charities it's part of their job.

You have to admit he has serious anger management issues.

Roy Keane has re-opened his feud with former Manchester City defender Alf-Inge Haaland.

The Manchester United legend notoriously fouled Haaland in 2001, which his first autobiography claimed was an act of vengence after Haaland had wrongly claimed Keane was playacting after injuring his cruciate ligament when tackling Haaland, then of Leeds, in 1997.

Now Keane's new book - published this week, reveals he does not feel sorry over the incident.

'There are things I regret in my life and he's not one of them,' said Keane.
I repeat awful human-being.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
All footballers visit the sick and deal with charities it's part of their job.

You have to admit he has serious anger management issues.

I repeat awful human-being.
Yeah....It's in a footballer's job description to ring a total stranger and support him during his battle with cancer. Grow up :rolleyes: Did you even read any of those links?

He's an awful human being for twatting someone he doesn't like and not regretting it?! Guess I'm worse than Charles Manson, along with everyone else then :rolleyes:

People having issues with him over his fallout with United, I understand completely. I understand people not liking him for the way he carries himself. Not everyone can like everyone...But, people coming on here acting like they are trained psychiatrists, giving mental evaluations and saying someone is an awful human being because he kicked someone, is extremely hard to take seriously

The OP went a bit OTT in his support of Keane but, awful human being? Christ

acnumber9

What has he got to gain though? If he really didn't want Mourinho as manager he'd have more influence by saying so. Would Utd fans have accepted Mourinho so readily if he'd been slinging mud back and forth with Alex Ferguson? It just doesn't wash as a reason to be pretend to like somebody.

Fully Fledged

Yeah....It's in a footballer's job description to ring a total stranger and support him during his battle with cancer. Grow up :rolleyes: Did you even read any of those links?

He's an awful human being for twatting someone he doesn't like and not regretting it?! Guess I'm worse than Charles Manson, along with everyone else then :rolleyes:

People having issues with him over his fallout with United, I understand completely. I understand people not liking him for the way he carries himself. Not everyone can like everyone...But, people coming on here acting like they are trained psychiatrists, giving mental evaluations and saying someone is an awful human being because he kicked someone, is extremely hard to take seriously

The OP went a bit OTT in his support of Keane but, awful human being? Christ
No Charles Mansen is Evil there is a major difference between awful and evil. Their is something wrong with having no regret at having seriously injured another human being. That's scary.

He didn't like him because he thought he feigned injury when he left one in on him. Is that really enough reason for hating someone that much?

I gave one example. Headbutting Schmeichel would be another His fall out with United another. His fall out with the Ireland team another. His fights with players as a manager at Ipswich and fights with players at Villa. I could go on.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
No Charles Mansen is Evil there is a major difference between awful and evil. Their is something wrong with having no regret at having seriously injured another human being. That's scary.

He didn't like him because he thought he feigned injury when he left one in on him. Is that really enough reason for hating someone that much?

I gave one example. Headbutting Schmeichel would be another His fall out with United another. His fall out with the Ireland team another. His fights with players as a manager at Ipswich and fights with players at Villa. I could go on.
He never injured Haaland. That's another lie. The resident scouser on Sky used to go in to try injure players on purpose and admitted to trying to break legs though.

As for the headbutt with Schmeichel, he was completely wrong in that situation. However hilarious it sounds :D and Peter was game for a fight too. They seem to get on really well now oddly enough

His fallout with our national team, he was 100% right. Our FA take the fecking piss

Villa, I never heard anything except for him going round to Tom Cleverley's house one night and tbh, Cleverley can feck off.

Ipswich, he made a mess of that and he admits it too.

If Roy Keane is an awful human bring, wonder what that makes Terry, Giggs, Suarez etc etc. By what you're saying, I'm an awful human being then. Don't think that's very fair tbh

Varun

Staff

Wtf :lol: