Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Have a word with yourself Colin for feck sake.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's crazy the hate that Greta has gotten. People are fecked in the head and play right into big business and shady government's hands when they stubbornly decide they're against what's right - usually, in my opinion, because they can't bare to see someone actually want to do good and be proven wrong in thinking it's not possible (and also just cannot bare to see 'lefties' 'win').

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I just knew it, you lot are so predictable.

She's not the Messiah, she's just a very naughty girl.
Nobody's saying she's the Messiah, but don't downplay someone's efforts of trying to make this planet liveable for future generations. She's done more at her age than any of us will over our entire lifetime.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Nobody's saying she's the Messiah, but don't downplay someone's efforts of trying to make this planet liveable for future generations. She's done more at her age than any of us will over our entire lifetime.
Given a speech and cried.

The environmental industry is worth billions, an incredible amount of progress has already been made, but this girl crying is more than that.

Give over.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Given a speech and cried.

The environmental industry is worth billions, an incredible amount of progress has already been made, but this girl crying is more than that.

Give over.
A speech in front of some very influential people, at a platform which could get the message across to millions of us common folk. People tend to dismiss the "environmental industry"'s attempts at trying to reach out to us, but her being just another commoner resonates more with the public.

And what incredible progress are you on about? It's clear that all big corporations everywhere are trying their best to roll back laws that protect the environment, the masses can recycle as much as they want, it won't mean jack unless the big corporations are reigned in because they're the biggest cause of pollution.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Colin just can't deal with the fact that a little girl is pointing out how his generation, and he as an individual, have failed to deal with this problem adequately. Unfortunately the facts speak for themselves.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Colin just can't deal with the fact that a little girl is pointing out how his generation, and he as an individual, have failed to deal with this problem adequately. Unfortunately the facts speak for themselves.
An inconvenient truth....

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Completely agree.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I just knew it, you lot are so predictable.

She's not the Messiah, she's just a very naughty girl.
Stupid. Naughty.
If your comments were not so immature I would think you were joking.
But they are not and you are.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
What an incredibly arrogant, condescending and insulting post. What exactly do you mean by "my generation"? If any "generation" is responsible for the over utilisation of scarce natural resources, it is yours.

Constantly shovelling revolting fast food burgers and glugging gallons of disgusting coffee every day. Changing your tec every time they bring a shiny new version out and throwing the old ones away.

Do you think environmentalism was invented last year when a bunch of idiots started gluing themselves to the road? Surely you don't think phones were invented in 2007, when the first iPhone came out and the internet and computers a few years before that?

Bill Gates is 63, he's much older than I. If Steve Jobs was still around today, he'd be older than that.

Climate change has been investigated for decades already, by scientists who actually have a clue. You think Trump is remotely interested in this girl?

I don't expect an apology from you for your post, but can you just leave me alone, if you don't mind?

stepic

Climate change has been investigated for decades already, by scientists who actually have a clue. You think Trump is remotely interested in this girl?
and she has consistently come out and said: 'listen to the scientists'. she isn't saying she has the answers (why would she?).

yes, climate change has been investigated for years, and yes the scientists have been telling everyone we're fecked for years, yet politicians don't seem to care. big business doesn't seem to care. she is trying to raise awareness so the general public as a whole can influence change because the only way to change politicians or big business's attitudes is if the voting public and consumer's attitudes change first.

the hate this girl gets is so fecking bizarre.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
and she has consistently come out and said: 'listen to the scientists'. she isn't saying she has the answers (why would she?).

yes, climate change has been investigated for years, and yes the scientists have been telling everyone we're fecked for years, yet politicians don't seem to care. big business doesn't seem to care. she is trying to raise awareness so the general public as a whole can influence change because the only way to change politicians or big business's attitudes is if the voting public and consumer's attitudes change first.

the hate this girl gets is so fecking bizarre.
I certainly don't hate her, I don't even know her.

To say that no one is listening to the 'scientists' is patently untrue, an incredible amount has been done to reduce the consumption of natural resources, both by government and, yes, big business. There are a huge amount of things going on. I was surprised to hear, that countries like China and Russia (believe it or not) have huge tree planting programs, for example, which almost offsets the area of rain forest being cut down (unfortunately, they are planting the wrong type of tree or something, so it doesn't actually soak up as much as the loss of rain forests, but they are doing something. The car industry bends over backwards to conform to the latest environmental regulations and those due to come. More and more renewables are being used to produce energy.

You can't just wave a magic wand and make it all go away, significant strides have already been made and are continuing to be made. To belittle what has been done on the say so of a school girl is ridiculous and is a huge insult to those who work in the environmental and renewables field.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
What an incredibly arrogant, condescending and insulting post. What exactly do you mean by "my generation"? If any "generation" is responsible for the over utilisation of scarce natural resources, it is yours.

Constantly shovelling revolting fast food burgers and glugging gallons of disgusting coffee every day. Changing your tec every time they bring a shiny new version out and throwing the old ones away.

Do you think environmentalism was invented last year when a bunch of idiots started gluing themselves to the road? Surely you don't think phones were invented in 2007, when the first iPhone came out and the internet and computers a few years before that?

Bill Gates is 63, he's much older than I. If Steve Jobs was still around today, he'd be older than that.

I don't expect an apology from you for your post, but can you just leave me alone, if you don't mind?
Can't you see how childish your response is? Yes, my generation is responsible for a great deal of environmental destruction. It is something that deserves deep shame. I have no issues with acknowledging that. What about you? Can you bring yourself to admit that you've failed to adequately deal with the problem?

I of course agree that environmentalism started before I was born. It probably kicked into gear in a serious way when you were Greta's age - maybe a bit earlier. But of course it existed in many forms before you were born too. More reason for you to feel some degree of shame, I'd say. It's not something my generation discovered, and the next generation is really getting started on - it's something that you've lived with your entire life, as I have, and have failed to deal with properly.

If you can articulate what you think deserves an apology, I'll be happy to consider. From what you quoted, I can't see anything. On the flipside, you immediately chose to act condescendingly towards me in pretty bizarre fashion. Don't worry though, no apology needed.

stepic

I certainly don't hate her, I don't even know her.

To say that no one is listening to the 'scientists' is patently untrue, an incredible amount has been done to reduce the consumption of natural resources, both by government and, yes, big business. There are a huge amount of things going on. I was surprised to hear, that countries like China and Russia (believe it or not) have huge tree planting programs, for example, which almost offsets the area of rain forest being cut down (unfortunately, they are planting the wrong type of tree or something, so it doesn't actually soak up as much as the loss of rain forests, but they are doing something. The car industry bends over backwards to conform to the latest environmental regulations and those due to come. More and more renewables are being used to produce energy.

You can't just wave a magic wand and make it all go away, significant strides have already been made and are continuing to be made. To belittle what has been done on the say so of a school girl is ridiculous and is a huge insult to those who work in the environmental and renewables field.
yeah, and it's still not enough.

you can appreciate the significant strides being made, and yet still look at the data and say: this is not enough. to say we need to do more isn't to begrudge the progress already made.

Greta is right to be angry. we should all be angry that CC still isn't the number 1 agenda item on every political parties campaign trail. only public awareness will ensure that, and that's why her awareness raising is important. what she certainly is not is a 'stupid little girl'.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
I think we should make Colin replies to Colin a thing.
The difference is, Greta is never going to see my personal opinion, despite this being, essentially, in the public domain. I am sure she has plenty of people criticising her anyway, my opinion is of little relevance. However, if I call Pexbo a cnut and I mean it, rather than it being a bit of banter, that is criticising the poster, not the post, which is not in the spirit of the Forum. That's something @Brwned is well aware of and that's why I called him out on it.

Can i take it that you’re cycling or driving an electric car @Sassy Colin?
Well no, but, I'm not going to lie, the thought of having to drive around in a hairdryer in years to come doesn't fill me with any great enthusiasm. I do walk an awful lot though, often at the mercy of cyclists, who show little regard for anyone but themselves, although that is another argument entirely.

yeah, and it's still not enough.

you can appreciate the significant strides being made, and yet still look at the data and say: this is not enough. to say we need to do more isn't to begrudge the progress already made.

Greta is right to be angry. we should all be angry that CC still isn't the number 1 agenda item on every political parties campaign trail. only public awareness will ensure that, and that's why her awareness raising is important. what she certainly is not is a 'stupid little girl'.
Let's be honest, nothing is ever enough for anyone on any subject, whatever it is. You still need to recognise what has been done already, and you can do that without resting on your laurels, and continue to with those projects, whilst adding more once the technology/funding is in place.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Can't you see how childish your response is? Yes, my generation is responsible for a great deal of environmental destruction. It is something that deserves deep shame. I have no issues with acknowledging that. What about you? Can you bring yourself to admit that you've failed to adequately deal with the problem?

I of course agree that environmentalism started before I was born. It probably kicked into gear in a serious way when you were Greta's age - maybe a bit earlier. But of course it existed in many forms before you were born too. More reason for you to feel some degree of shame, I'd say. It's not something my generation discovered, and the next generation is really getting started on - it's something that you've lived with your entire life, as I have, and have failed to deal with properly.

If you can articulate what you think deserves an apology, I'll be happy to consider. From what you quoted, I can't see anything. On the flipside, you immediately chose to act condescendingly towards me in pretty bizarre fashion. Don't worry though, no apology needed.
You are not personally responsible, neither do I hold you personally responsible, you are not the arbiter of the universe either. You can't go round wringing your hands saying "If only I hadn't taken that extra plastic bag in Sainsbury's", that's ridiculous.

If it's any consolation, I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I have eaten McDonalds/Burger King, and I can only think of one time I have brought coffee shop coffee. So from that point of view I have been doing my bit long before it was well known as an issue.

Sweet Square

You are not personally responsible, neither do I hold you personally responsible, you are not the arbiter of the universe either. You can't go round wringing your hands saying "If only I hadn't taken that extra plastic bag in Sainsbury's", that's ridiculous.

If it's any consolation, I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I have eaten McDonalds/Burger King, and I can only think of one time I have brought coffee shop coffee. So from that point of view I have been doing my bit long before it was well known as an issue.
:lol::lol::lol:

Balljy

Let's be honest, nothing is ever enough for anyone on any subject, whatever it is. You still need to recognise what has been done already, and you can do that without resting on your laurels, and continue to with those projects, whilst adding more once the technology/funding is in place.
Yeah, but that doesn't work when not enough has potentially severe consequences according to the vast majority of scientists that you have said we should listen to over Greta (and whom she constantly references). Waiting for the technology / funding is too late according to those very people. It doesn't mean that what has been done isn't been recognised it's that the science shows that it's not enough yet.

The very fact this discussion is going on shows that what she is doing works. A different group of people are now talking about climate change due to her speeches and the fact this has blown up in the media. It highlights the subject and puts it higher on the agenda due to her being popular. It shouldn't be needed, but it is unfortunately.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Yeah, but that doesn't work when not enough has potentially severe consequences according to the vast majority of scientists that you have said we should listen to over Greta (and whom she constantly references). Waiting for the technology / funding is too late according to those very people. It doesn't mean that what has been done isn't been recognised it's that the science shows that it's not enough yet.

The very fact this discussion is going on shows that what she is doing works. A different group of people are now talking about climate change due to her speeches and the fact this has blown up in the media. It highlights the subject and puts it higher on the agenda due to her being popular. It shouldn't be needed, but it is unfortunately.
There are items on climate change in the news virtually every day, as there has been for a good few years now. There is huge exposure, Greta or no Greta. There are new initiatives and projects all the time, and also a huge amount of stuff ongoing, often from what might be considered unlikely/surprising sources (e.g. China & Russia).

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The difference is, Greta is never going to see my personal opinion, despite this being, essentially, in the public domain. I am sure she has plenty of people criticising her anyway, my opinion is of little relevance. However, if I call Pexbo a cnut and I mean it, rather than it being a bit of banter, that is criticising the poster, not the post, which is not in the spirit of the Forum. That's something @Brwned is well aware of and that's why I called him out on it.

Well no, but, I'm not going to lie, the thought of having to drive around in a hairdryer in years to come doesn't fill me with any great enthusiasm. I do walk an awful lot though, often at the mercy of cyclists, who show little regard for anyone but themselves, although that is another argument entirely.

I still don't know what justifies after eveeerything that you posted why you call her stupid

Sweet Square

It's better to make speeches, lobby governments and conduct scientific research than block the traffic like a bunch of fecking idiots.
Those protesters are mostly middle class old professionals who have tried every other route and have failed. So this is their last resort to getting change.

The fact is 'it's the economy stupid' - Saxophone man. We need to dramatically change the way our world economy functions and quickly. No amount of killer one liners or lobbying is going to work.

So stop getting angry over a small disable kid.

Balljy

There are items on climate change in the news virtually every day, as there has been for a good few years now. There is huge exposure, Greta or no Greta. There are new initiatives and projects all the time, and also a huge amount of stuff ongoing, often from what might be considered unlikely/surprising sources (e.g. China & Russia).
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure that the people who were going to act upon it probably had already seen the science and made up their own minds a long time ago. Greta coming in and being her age, the way she spoke has almost certainly highlighted it to a completely different set of people who read social media (and the tabloids). It's like the anti-trump, populism for something that could do some good.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Those protesters are mostly middle class old professionals who have tried every other route and have failed. So this is their last resort to getting change.

The fact is 'it's the economy stupid' - Saxophone man. We need to dramatically change the way our world economy functions and quickly. No amount of killer one liners or lobbying is going to work.

So stop getting angry over a small disable kid.
Is she disabled? I thought people were listening to her because she is young and cries a lot.

In any case, that was my point, there has been a hell of a lot of change. We have seen a lot of impact, just in the UK and there are projects and initiatives all over the World.

NinjaFletch

What generation are these people?

It's better to make speeches, lobby governments and conduct scientific research than block the traffic like a bunch of fecking idiots.
Why is that better? We've seen for years people like you ignore speeches, lobbying and scientific research based on flimsy pretences like, err, yoga.

nimic

something nice
Scout
What generation are these people?

Oh hey, someone complaining about how inconvenient it is when protestors... you know, protest. Time to bring out Letter from Birmingham Jail.

MLK said:
You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling for negotiation. Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored.

[...]

I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Is she disabled? I thought people were listening to her because she is young and cries a lot.

In any case, that was my point, there has been a hell of a lot of change. We have seen a lot of impact, just in the UK and there are projects and initiatives all over the World.
Depends on your empathy and how much you like to read articles about Asperger. The more I read the least (or 0) convinced I am that is should be consider a disability

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Two points:
Firstly regarding Greta.
She will not solve climate change on her own, of course not.
But the brilliant thing is that she has inspired tens of millions of children all around the world to not just protest. But to think about our planet in a different kinder way. They are now the focus, those who will inherit our terrible mess.
Secondly.
Of course there is a huge amount of good work being done.
But. Inspite of this, global CO2 levels rose by 3% last year. Instead of levelling off or even reducing, the rate is increasing.
So. Well done to Greta and well done to all the children she has inspired.
Keep doing what you are doing.
And good luck. Because you are going to need it.