Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phelans shorts

How is the last part relevant ?
It just highlights how little the poster knows, if that wasn’t clear already from the rat comment (literally every massive busy building in the world is very likely to have them, it’s a fact of nature) but also that they don’t understand politics in which the wealthy donate to both sides for capital down the line

phelans shorts

Why? There are plenty of examples. Ratcliffe replaced the top management at Nice. Even the Abu Dhabi folks replaced City's top management upon talking control of the club.
It happens everywhere at work, certainly in my own experience & observations..
This is just factually incorrect. They gradually left in the following years when they were making errors like publicising a failed 100m move for Kaka and mocking a players cancer suffering mother.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why? There are plenty of examples. Ratcliffe replaced the top management at Nice. Even the Abu Dhabi folks replaced City's top management upon talking control of the club.
Were City flying when they were taken over or were they in a total mess?

New owners will make changes yes but suggesting they will sack everyone, including Ten Hag, is daft and just being panicky for no reason.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Were City flying when they were taken over or were they in a total mess?

New owners will make changes yes but suggesting they will sack everyone, including Ten Hag, is daft and just being panicky for no reason.
They wont sack ETH immediately. I never suggested that. They may remove the top management first. But if they did, he has lost his support -- the very folks who hired him. New management may have other ideas of who can do the job -- proven managers.

If I had 5-6 billion spare cash I would ask the current management to give me a plan and if I like it I will then let them see if they execute the plan.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's really working well at Nice isn't it.

TheReligion

Abusive
They wont sack ETH immediately. I never suggested that. They may remove the top management first. But if they did, he has lost his support -- the very folks who hired him. New management may have other ideas of who can do the job -- proven managers.

If I had 5-6 billion spare cash I would ask the current management to give me a plan and if I like it I will then let them see if they execute the plan.
If we are doing well then they won’t change too much, if we are struggling they will.

sglowrider

If we are doing well then they won’t change too much, if we are struggling they will.
I would imagine he has till the end of next season to produce some tangible results. It will be interesting what Arnold pitches to the new owners as his vision in order to keep his job. If he stays next season then we know that's what the new owners have bought into.

TsuWave

The best we can hope for is the least of the worst of the ME state's with Becks and/or Cantona as the face/spokesperson for everything.
I hope one day you guys are released from these shackles of wanting ex-players involved in the ownership/running of the club. Just get the most qualified people in and let’s move on.

sglowrider

I hope one day you guys are released from these shackles of wanting ex-players involved in the ownership/running of the club. Just get the most qualified people in and let’s move on.
It works at some clubs eg Bayern.

The question is what makes someone the most qualified? His track record? Like Jose? Knows the League like Moyesy? Has his own philosophy? Like Van Gaal?

SirAF

Ageist
No one wants Beckham or Cantona as DoF, but it would be cool to have them involved in some sort of PR capacity. That would also mean that someone who has the best interest of the club at heart has signaled a belief in the project of the new owners.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Any owner that comes in will want to see over the management of the club.

When doing that, you must start somewhere (unless you have great football knowledge, which a new owner won’t have). The only sane approach from my point of view is to start with ETH. Let him build a management team around him that he is comfortable with.

Who would be a better choice? Very hard to come up with someone who have merits that would make it seems probable that he could come in and do a better job than a management team put together than ETH.

Another option is to hire a CEO and let him or her build the organization. I have a hard time seeing why this CEO would want to fire ETH and replace him with someone else. Talk about taking a risk. No coach would take that job unless suicidal. Imagine the pressure, 75% of the fan base would be fuming before first day at work.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How are City run?
Strangely. They waste almost as much money on garbage as we do, lucky for them all their shortcomings are covered by Guardiola.

Gurtej

Fancy Van Der Sar to take over CEO under new ownership?

And build manutd on Ajax principles for a long run….

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Strangely. They waste almost as much money on garbage as we do, lucky for them all their shortcomings are covered by Guardiola.
Most teams will spend money stupidly. City are fantastically well run.

BarstoolProphet

No one wants Beckham or Cantona as DoF, but it would be cool to have them involved in some sort of PR capacity. That would also mean that someone who has the best interest of the club at heart has signaled a belief in the project of the new owners.
Especially with Cantona, he would never sign off on some project he doesn't believe in. Beckham on the other hand just follows the money.

TsuWave

I don’t doubt it does - I think Italian clubs do it as well. I just don’t see or put much stock in the ex-United crop. Cantona does the whole unorthodox genius thing pretty well, but how does that land itself to the running of a club? And for all the stuff being said about these oil states in this thread - Beckham was pretty comfy being an ambassador for the Qatar World Cup

But the club already has “ambassador” roles, no? Also, being ex-player doesn’t inherently mean you have the best interests of the club at heart - or rather - you may think you do, but it can cloud your assessment/judgement. We’ve just went through having Ole as our manager and a substantial number of ex-players refused to say he wasn’t good enough/up to the task

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
It just highlights how little the poster knows, if that wasn’t clear already from the rat comment (literally every massive busy building in the world is very likely to have them, it’s a fact of nature) but also that they don’t understand politics in which the wealthy donate to both sides for capital down the line
Indeed

phelans shorts

We don't need Ajax principles, we just need good owners.
Historically the two clubs are closely aligned on principle with a strong history of promoting young players and playing attacking football. Ajax to United for someone like a CEO would in theory be a very smooth transition now that we’ve started getting our house in order post Woodward.

AltiUn

Most teams will spend money stupidly. City are fantastically well run.
Not sure I agree. They appointed a very good manager who hides all their flaws. A good manager hides poor ownership, Klopp, Guardiola and Sir Alex all made the ownership look better than it was. Had we appointed Guardiola in 2016 instead of City then I suspect the majority of the football world would be gushing about how well run we were.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not sure I agree. They appointed a very good manager who hides all their flaws. A good manager hides poor ownership, Klopp, Guardiola and Sir Alex all made the ownership look better than it was. Had we appointed Guardiola in 2016 instead of City then I suspect the majority of the football world would be gushing about how well run we were.
City had put in the infrastructure to cater for Pep. tixi bergstein was brought in a year prior who he had a very good relationship with. They also spent well on their training facilities and academy if I'm not mistaken.

Not sure what you think is poor about their handling. Liverpool wasted 100m on Nunez and are panic buying Gakpo. Not long ago they were in similar panic situations in January. I dont see too much by way of their academy product either.

Ultimately when you're filthy rich youl have some flops. I don't think that points to bad ownership though.

Revaulx

Also important to point out it took a number of years for City to get their house in order. They were an absolute disaster zone for quite a long time
Indeed. I’d take Richard Arnold over Garry Cook any day; the latter seems to be from the Ed Woodward mould.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I quite liked Eric’s idea to become president of football :drool:

AltiUn

City had put in the infrastructure to cater for Pep. tixi bergstein was brought in a year prior who he had a very good relationship with. They also spent well on their training facilities and academy if I'm not mistaken.

Not sure what you think is poor about their handling. Liverpool wasted 100m on Nunez and are panic buying Gakpo. Not long ago they were in similar panic situations in January. I dont see too much by way of their academy product either.

Ultimately when you're filthy rich youl have some flops. I don't think that points to bad ownership though.
£100m on Grealish and £50m on Phillips for a start, but like I said, good manager's cover flaws like that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
£100m on Grealish and £50m on Phillips for a start, but like I said, good manager's cover flaws like that.
Right, but that doesn't mean they have poor owners. For every one of those plus Rodwell etc. You have cancelo, mahrez, b silva, KDB, laporte, diaz, ederson etc etc.

Most of their buys have been on players who were not world class before they were bought, but are just on the cusp. Good owners and good DoFs get these types signed.

You won't find a single top team that doesn't make expensive mistakes. Real, Barca, United, Bayern, Liverpool. They've all made silly mistakes.

red thru&thru

Fancy Van Der Sar to take over CEO under new ownership?

And build manutd on Ajax principles for a long run….
This would be my preferred option. He has done his "apprenticeship" at Ajax and would hopefully be ready for the challenge at United, which he faced at Ajax.

Revaulx

Cook was so bad that comparing the two is an insult to Ed Woodward.
Not sure I'd go that far. Mancini was a decent appointment, and the proportion of duds signed was certainly no greater than under Woodward. Also United (albeit wholly reliant on SAF to oversee the football side) were in a far better state than City when the latter took over.

What Woodward has over Cook is that albeit an idiot, he doesn't appear to be a cnut.

NoLogo

The question is what makes someone the most qualified? His track record? Like Jose? Knows the League like Moyesy? Has his own philosophy? Like Van Gaal?
I think what Bayern get right in that regard is that they usually have the ex players in another capacity at the club that allows them to learn from their predecessors.

The only one that didn't seem to have to go through the process is Salihamidzic, and he was at least for the last year one of the main focal points of the criticism coming towards the club leadership from the fans.

SirAF

Ageist
But the club already has “ambassador” roles, no? Also, being ex-player doesn’t inherently mean you have the best interests of the club at heart - or rather - you may think you do, but it can cloud your assessment/judgement. We’ve just went through having Ole as our manager and a substantial number of ex-players refused to say he wasn’t good enough/up to the task
For sure, but I was not talking about giving an ex player any sort of power. They would just be PR figures. As you said, might as well just give them ambassador roles that are already existing.

crossy1686

career ending
I never said they would run anything, they’d just be the spokesperson for the investment fund, the messenger if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.